PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Sure is Getting "Fine Happy"

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-04-2000, 06:31 PM
Harrison got flagged for 15, but $40k for a hit on a receiver? Seems a tad high.

Moss shouldn't have touched an official, but $25k plus his $10k "I promise not to abuse officials any more" surcharge seems a bit extreme.

But Brackens getting fined $15k for his Aikman sack last Sunday? Puh-leeeease. No flag. No helmet. Just a d@mned fine tackle from where Bob Dole sat.

There was no helmet-to-helmet contact and no flag was thrown on the play, but the NFL told Brackens he was fined for violating a rule that bans picking up players and slamming them to the turf, then falling on top of them with all their weight.

Bob Dole supposes that instead, the defensive player should bow politely, then ask the QB nicely to please fall down or risk a verbal lashing.

ColoradoChief
11-04-2000, 06:37 PM
I agree. These fines are ridiculous. Why don't we just have them wear flags and abolish hitting altogether?

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-04-2000, 06:42 PM
Football is meant to be hard hitting. But these days we are more worried about protecting players. I can agree with that to a point, but my thinking is, if you can't take the punishment then don't play.

If you can't play with the big boys, stay in your crib.

------------------
THE SILVER AND BLACK AIN'T WORTH JACK!

milkman
11-04-2000, 06:48 PM
I heard that harrison's was so high because he has been fined a few times for it, looked like a hell of a football hit to me. Seau slightly hinted that he might help pay the fine after his new contract extension was just signed. The fine is basically a 2 games pay checks for him, he was upset about it because they could have suspended him for one game and it would have cost him less. Hell, it was a raider player, he probably deserved it.

Now as for QB's, that is another issue. Many of the QB's are getting more mobile and harder to sack, but lets take a quick look at the rules.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Don't hit the QB up high, near the head.
<LI>Don't hit the QB down low, also a penalty.
<LI>Don't hit him with enough force to lift him off the ground.
<LI>Don't lead with your head when tackling the QB.
<LI>Don't land on top of the QB.
<LI>Come to a dead stop and don't touch the QB if he is a couple steps away, no matter how fast your coming.</UL>

It is amazing that any QB is ever taken to the ground without a flag.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 11-04-2000).]

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-04-2000, 06:55 PM
Man they must think that QBs are real wimps! Is there any other player that is as protected as the QB (barring kickers)?

------------------
THE SILVER AND BLACK AIN'T WORTH JACK!

Logical
11-04-2000, 08:20 PM
G Man,
I agree, the next step is having the QB wear flags. This is total crap. there are also too many flags in general anymore.

BIG DADDY
Just wants to see the players play the game, not the officials.