PDA

View Full Version : 01-04 Chiefs = 92-95 Falcons

bobbything
11-29-2004, 09:40 AM
[Trent Green] has great numbers...except in the W column...
So did Jeff George in Atlanta. In fact, this KC team is very similar to those Atlanta teams...

Both have explosive offenses and horrible defenses. In all but 2 of Atlanta's losses from 1992-1995, the defense gave up at least 20 points. And in 18 of their 28 wins during that span the defense held the opponent to under 20 points. That means that in 64% of their wins over 4 years, the defense gave up less than 20 points.

In all but 1 of KC's losses over the past 4 years has the defense given up less than 20 points. So, in 28 out of 29 losses in 4 years, the defense has given up more than 20 points. And in 15 of KC's 30 wins over the past 4 seasons the defense gave up 20 or more points. That's 50% of the time KC had to score more than 20 points to win the game.

So, Atlanta's defense was slightly better at supporting the offense.

1992-1995 Atlanta: 28-36 record, 21 points per game scored, 24 points per game given up

2001-2004 Chiefs: 30-29 record, 26 points per game scored, 22 points per game given up

What KC is worse at than the Falcons is similar to run support in baseball. When KC scores 24 or more points, the defense gives up 26. When Atlanta scored 24 or more points, the defense only gave up 18.

The problem was that Atlanta didn't have an offense that was as consistent as KC's, but their defense, when Atlanta put up points, provided support. When KC's offense puts up numbers, the defense give up more.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
so in 3 years we will get to the Super Bowl then? Sweet!

bobbything
11-29-2004, 09:55 AM
so in 3 years we will get to the Super Bowl then? Sweet!
Only if in the next year or so we get rid of Dick Vermiel like Atlanta did with June Jones and Jerry Glanville.

Atlanta got away from the high powered offense(s) of Jones and Glanville and hired Dan Reeves to fix the defense. Hence, their Super Bowl appearance shortly thereafter.

patteeu
11-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Your secondary comparison of Trent Green to Jeff George is very superficial. They are almost total opposites in many ways and I say that as someone who is a big fan of both.

htismaqe
11-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Your secondary comparison of Trent Green to Jeff George is very superficial. They are almost total opposites in many ways and I say that as someone who is a big fan of both.

Is that you, J-Dub?

;)

Baby Lee
11-29-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm trying to think of an important win Trent has had. There have been thrilling wins. There have been amazing performances when all was already lost. The only important game I can think of Trent even being in is the playoff game last year, and although it wasn't his fault, he didn't produce the win.
If you can't think of an important win, what would you characterize as the closest thing?

bobbything
11-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Your secondary comparison of Trent Green to Jeff George is very superficial.
It's based soley on his numbers with Atlanta. Nothing more.

J. George (w/ Atlanta) - 246 yards per game, 1.5 TD's, .9 INT's per game
T. Green (w/Kansas City) - 242 Yards per game, 1.4 TD's, 1 INT per game

I'm not comparing character here, just numbers while in their respective cities.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 11:24 AM

Its Fatlock in hiding! ROFL

Lzen
11-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm trying to think of an important win Trent has had. There have been thrilling wins. There have been amazing performances when all was already lost. The only important game I can think of Trent even being in is the playoff game last year, and although it wasn't his fault, he didn't produce the win.
If you can't think of an important win, what would you characterize as the closest thing?

Eh, as far as I can tell, Trent did everything in his power to win that game. He played an outstanding game. It was not Trent who gave up yards and points to the Colts like it was a clearance sale at Kmart in the hood. It was not Trent who fumbled the ball after a long run early in the 2nd half. It was not Trent who dropped multiple passes that would've gotten key first downs. Despite all this, Trent placed the blame on his shoulders and never pointed fingers. Thus, the HUGE difference between Trent and Jeff George.

Listen up, bobby.

TRENT GREEN IS A LEADER WHILE JEFF GEORGE IS/WAS A LOSER!!

KC Jones
11-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Our opponents ability to score is really just limited by whether or not their QB is of average talent and how much they want to "risk" throwing the ball. Most QBs in the NFL can shred this defense. The ones who can't have the names Kyle Boller and Michael Vick.

If we blitz, they pick apart our secondary. If we don't blitz, we don't get much pressure and they have time to pick apart our secondary.

Baby Lee
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
TRENT GREEN IS A LEADER WHILE JEFF GEORGE IS/WAS A LOSER!!
I note the off-kilter dichotomy. Seems like the opposite of 'loser' is 'winner.' Yet you went with 'leader.'
Could it be that Trent is both a leader and a loser?

Lzen
11-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I note the off-kilter dichotomy. Seems like the opposite of 'loser' is 'winner.' Yet you went with 'leader.'
Could it be that Trent is both a leader and a loser?

Naw, I just went with both words that started with the letter 'L'.
Uhhh huh huh huh.....uh huh huh......L is cool. :Elvis:

bobbything
11-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Listen up, bobby.

TRENT GREEN IS A LEADER WHILE JEFF GEORGE IS/WAS A LOSER!
You missed everything I said. All I'm doing is comparing stats. And to be honest, I wasn't even really comparing George to Green as much as I was comparing the Atlanta Falcons to the Kansas City Chiefs.

I have no doubt that Green is a better leader. I'd take Trent Green over Jeff George any day. But, you completely missed my point. It has nothing to do with "leadership". I'm simply comparing numbers here.

My point is that KC's defense cannot support the offense while Atlanta's defense could. While in that system, Jeff George was a good QB. While in KC's system, Trent Green is a good QB. They have very similar numbers, but what it boils down to is that neither of them have a particulary good record as a starter while having good seasons.

Take that FWIW. And please, don't let your head get in the way of understanding my initial point.

beavis
11-29-2004, 12:59 PM
It's based soley on his numbers with Atlanta. Nothing more.

J. George (w/ Atlanta) - 246 yards per game, 1.5 TD's, .9 INT's per game
T. Green (w/Kansas City) - 242 Yards per game, 1.4 TD's, 1 INT per game

I'm not comparing character here, just numbers while in their respective cities.
I'm not sure what that proves. I'm betting if you averaged out every QB in the league like that, you'd see very similar numbers.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:08 PM
You just did a helluva' lot of research to prove that when you only have 1/2 a team you get your azz kicked...

bobbything
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure what that proves.
Ugh...

I'm trying to say that these two teams are eerly similar. Someone earlier said, "Trent Green has good numbers, except in the W column." I said the same could be said about Jeff George while in Atlanta.

That got me thinking about the similarities between the two teams (ie: coaches focused more on setting offensive points rather than developing a team). I looked at George's stats and Green's stats, saw they were similar, and made a general comparison. But, like I said before, it's not the point of my post...

I'm just saying that teams with more offensive focus don't fair well in the long run because their defenses can't keep up.
I'm betting if you averaged out every QB in the league like that, you'd see very similar numbers.
I dunno. I'm using QB's that have had good seasons on bad teams. There aren't too many of those over the years.

Trent Green (01, 02, 04 Chiefs)
Jeff George (94 Falcons, 97 Raiders)
Peyton Manning (98, 00 Colts)
Vinny Testaverde (96 Ravens)
Warren Moon (97 Seahawks)
Steve Beurleine (99 Panthers)
Jim Everett (94, 95 Saints)

I can't really think of anymore right now.

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 03:11 PM
You just did a helluva' lot of research to prove that when you only have 1/2 a team you get your azz kicked...

ROFL No shit !

BOTOH, good work on the research :thumb: