PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Surprise...Nash quits the MU Football team

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/D638A3DAFBF00FAE86256F5B006951BA?OpenDocument&Headline=Nash+quits+Mizzou+football+team

COLUMBIA, Mo. ó University of Missouri running back Damien Nash quit the Missouri football team today.

When contacted Monday morning, Nash confirmed he had quit the team but said he did not want to comment about the situation.

University spokesman Chad Moller said the athletic department was not aware of the situation, and he had no further comment.

Nash, who led Mizzou in rushing this season with 792 yards and seven touchdowns on 164 attempts, likely will have two years of eligibility remaining if he transfers to another school.

Nash, a junior, has one year of eligibility remaining before he can apply for a medical hardship season. Nash suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament during his second season at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in 2002.

Nash would need to be released from the Missouri football team to play for a Division I school next year; otherwise, he would have to sit out a season. Nash can sign with a Division I-AA school without a release from Missouri and can play next season.

Nash has had difficulties with the coaching staff most of this season. Earlier this year, he was suspended for comments he made regarding the play-calling after the Oklahoma State game Oct. 23. Nash has been outspoken all year about the play-calling and his playing time.

He also has been dealing with turmoil off the field. His mother recently finished chemotherapy and is on disability leave from work.

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel signed Nash, an East St. Louis High graduate, shortly after he took over at Mizzou. The signing was thought to be a triumph for Pinkel, who lured Nash away from Nebraska. Nash also was credited with being one of the top recruits to come out of the St. Louis area.

Nashís departure come two days after the Tigers finished their season at 5-6 amid turmoil regarding the fate of the Missouri coaching staff.

Reporter Graham Watson
E-mail: gwatson@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 314-340-8038

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Come on over to KU, buddy :thumb:

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:03 PM
:)

Skip Towne
11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Is Nash that midget?

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 03:06 PM
I figured this might happen...people seem to think Temple will be good...

Whatever.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Is Nash that midget?
:shrug: 5'11...i'm not sure what you consider a midget.

Marcus Woods is 5'8.

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Is Nash that midget?

No, that's Sprawles, he plays for K-State.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
I figured this might happen...people seem to think Temple will be good...

Whatever.
He hasn't looked good in his outings. Blowing his redshirt was probably the stupidest thing i've seen Pinkel do..and thats saying quite a bit.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:08 PM
No, that's Sprawles, he plays for K-State.
Correction...*played.

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Correction...*played.

Yeah, w/e.

|Zach|
He hasn't looked good in his outings. Blowing his redshirt was probably the stupidest thing i've seen Pinkel do..and thats saying quite a bit.
Trust me.

He is not that good.

Saulbadguy
Yeah, w/e.
You didn't even spell his name right, punk.

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:10 PM
You didn't even spell his name right, punk.

Whoops, sorry. How do you spell it? I just know K-State fans like to scream his name, even if he's not on the field.

Jesus loves fumbling midgets.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, w/e. Like I care, seriously...
Cared enough to post in the thread.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Trust me.

He is not that good.
See him play in HS?

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Cared enough to post in the thread.

Dammit, I edited. Why you gotta be so quick to respond?!

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Whoops, sorry. How do you spell it? I just know K-State fans like to scream his name, even if he's not on the field.

Jesus loves fumbling midgets.
and so does Kansas State, this year. We loved Darren Sproles, and are sad to see him go on such a down note. Next year it will be "Thomas Clayton". Get used to hearing that name.

Skip Towne
11-29-2004, 03:14 PM
OK, Woods and Sprawls are the midgets.

Pants
11-29-2004, 03:15 PM
OK, Woods and Sprawls are the midgets.

Hahahaha. See that's the way it SHOULD be spelled, Saul.

Cochise
11-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Sproles is off to be the next JJ Moses at best

Nash is off to be the next... well, who cares. Like the offense could get any worse.

Braincase
11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
What is Mizzou doing right? Yeah, I'll admit to being a KU homer, but damn, Mizzou just can't seem to put Tab A in Slot B anywhere. Pinkel seems to have lost the support of his players (except against ISU :cuss: ) and Quinn's basketball team looks like 4th or 5th place Big 12 North finish at best.

Part of me feels for the Tiger alums. Really...

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah, w/e. Like I care, seriously...
Did some 12 year old girl hijack your account?

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 03:17 PM
See him play in HS?
Played against him.

Saulbadguy
I wouldn't say that too loud.

Pants
Did some 12 year old girl hijack your account?

As if...

Cochise
11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
What is Mizzou doing right? Yeah, I'll admit to being a KU homer, but damn, Mizzou just can't seem to put Tab A in Slot B anywhere. Pinkel seems to have lost the support of his players (except against ISU :cuss: ) and Quinn's basketball team looks like 4th or 5th place Big 12 North finish at best.

Alden needs to be fired along with all the coaches and all the coaching staff for every sport. I don't care if you are talking about the Chess club and the Field Hockey team. Fire all of them. :cuss: :bang:

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
I just wonder why they haven't announced the firing of Gary Pinkel yet. Are they actually going to retain this sack of shit?

Well, i'm all for it.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:19 PM
I wonder when all these great recruits Pitt Gorilla speaks of start to defect.

KingPriest2
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Alden needs to be fired along with all the coaches and all the coaching staff for every sport. I don't care if you are talking about the Chess club and the Field Hockey team. Fire all of them. :cuss: :bang:

Why would you say fire them all? So you would fire the coaches who are succeding. The MU wrestling team is suppose to contend for the national championship. Baseball makes the postseason. The track and cross country team succeed.

So fire them as well? Stupid.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:29 PM
The track and cross country team succeed.

They should. MU athletes get plenty of practice running from the cops.

You forgot the Volleyball team that is in the NCAA tournament, although they just got swept by Kansas State.

Braincase
I wouldn't say that too loud.

It was also the same part of me that momentarily enjoyed an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and Biography's special on Elton John.

Cochise
Why would you say fire them all? So you would fire the coaches who are succeding. The MU wrestling team is suppose to contend for the national championship. Baseball makes the postseason. The track and cross country team succeed.

So fire them as well? Stupid.

Hey, your hyperbole detector is set on "dumbass". Might want to adjust it.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:30 PM
It was also the same part of me that momentarily enjoyed an episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and Biography's special on Elton John.
I feel sorry for a few of the MU fans on this board, but thats about it. As far as the alumn..fug em. Maybe they will brighten up and stop contributing.

On a serious note, why hasn't SMS turned in to Missouri State?

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Next year it will be "Thomas Clayton". Get used to hearing that name.

To be honest, I think we'll hear more about FR Parrish Fisher than Thomas Clayton. Clayton is a talent with lots of speed, but he doesn't have the knack at finding the seams. Fisher is a more stocky version of Temple, but he likes to run between the Tackles. My contacts tell me he's going to be a great player.......well, that is if we can assemble a decent OL. This years version was the worst I've seen in quite some time.

Our OL will look like this:

RT - Clary (sr)
RG - Wafford (RS Soph/JR) He played like 3 downs against La-Mon, but he may get a medical RS. Matt Boss (RS FR) could be a player here as well
C - Schmidt (RS FR)
LG - Hafferty (Soph)
LT - Spexarth (RS FR)

A very young, inexperieinced OL (save Clary), but a very talented one as well.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:34 PM
To be honest, I think we'll hear more about FR Parrish Fisher than Thomas Clayton. Clayton is a talent with lots of speed, but he doesn't have the knack at finding the seams. Fisher is a more stocky version of Temple, but he likes to run between the Tackles. My contacts tell me he's going to be a great player.......well, that is if we can assemble a decent OL. This years version was the worst I've seen in quite some time.

Our OL will look like this:

RT - Clary (sr)
RG - Wafford (RS Soph/JR) He played like 3 downs against La-Mon, but he may get a medical RS. Matt Boss (RS FR) could be a player here as well
C - Schmidt (RS FR)
LG - Hafferty (Soph)
LT - Spexarth (RS FR)

A very young, inexperieinced OL (save Clary), but a very talented one as well.
Boss should be a stud..he can play guard or tackle. I'm looking forward to seeing our new O-Line. Are we going to RS Nick Stringer?

KingPriest2
11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey, your hyperbole detector is set on "dumbass". Might want to adjust it.

WTF? What are you talking about?

Why fire coaches who are doing a good job?

It doesn't make sense.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
ROFL

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Boss should be a stud..he can play guard or tackle. I'm looking forward to seeing our new O-Line. Are we going to RS Nick Stringer?

Oh yeah. Stringer needs to hit the weight room in a huge way. The kids very athletic, and very mobile for a guy that's 6'6", but he needs to add about 30-40#'s to his frame. He'll get there. We have another kid from Nebraska (Brad Rooker-RS FR) that has his same frame (played TE in HS. Brad, I've been told, has already beefed up 15#'s from his 260# frame since August. He'll probably be close to 285 come Fall '05

Re: Boss
Matt has all the strength you'd want in an OG, and great quickness. However, his line and blocking technique just sucks. He worked very hard this year trying to improve a lot of the bad habits he had playing small time HS football at Cherryvale. He's probably another year away at being able to make a real impact on the OL.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Great info..where do you get all this inside stuff? :D

Braincase
11-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh yeah. Stringer needs to hit the weight room in a huge way. The kids very athletic, and very mobile for a guy that's 6'6", but he needs to add about 30-40#'s to his frame. He'll get there. We have another kid from Nebraska (Brad Rooker-RS FR) that has his same frame (played TE in HS. Brad, I've been told, has already beefed up 15#'s from his 260# frame since August. He'll probably be close to 285 come Fall '05

Re: Boss
Matt has all the strength you'd want in an OG, and great quickness. However, his line and blocking technique just sucks. He worked very hard this year trying to improve a lot of the bad habits he had playing small time HS football at Cherryvale. He's probably another year away at being able to make a real impact on the OL.

Any word about Donnie Anders? Will he be another Wildcat star from Salina Central?

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 04:01 PM
ROFL
Agreed.

Pants
11-29-2004, 04:01 PM
WTF? What are you talking about?

Why fire coaches who are doing a good job?

It doesn't make sense.

I know you are not of the brightest kind, but I suggest you look up the meaning of hyperbole before you make a bigger ass of yourself.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Great info..where do you get all this inside stuff? :D

I'm friends with the Assoc. AD at KSU. I know a few of the coaches as well.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Any word about Donnie Anders? Will he be another Wildcat star from Salina Central?

Donnie's a great kid, but there just isn't any room for him, unfortunately. He'll be a JR next year, and probably be 4th on the depth chart behind Clayton, Fisher and Alsup.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm friends with the Assoc. AD at KSU. I know a few of the coaches as well.
Interesting. Care to share any of the players names who may or may not be on the team next year..ie, scholarships revoked, players leaving, transfering, kicked off the team, etc? I heard a rumor about a certain QB leaving this offseason....

Braincase
11-29-2004, 04:08 PM
I know you are not of the brightest kind, but I suggest you look up the meaning of hyperbole before you make a bigger ass of yourself.

Maybe they just ought to fire the coaches that a failing in sports people care about.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Interesting. Care to share any of the players names who may or may not be on the team next year..ie, scholarships revoked, players leaving, transfering, kicked off the team, etc? I heard a rumor about a certain QB leaving this offseason....

I'd guess (my speculation only) that we might see as many as 3-4 players leave, and 3 who actually got some decent playing time (Simmons, Saba, Echols and possibly Lowe). And no, there is no truth to Webb leaving.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I'd guess (my speculation only) that we might see as many as 3-4 players leave, and 3 who actually got some decent playing time (Simmons, Saba, Echols and possibly Lowe). And no, there is no truth to Webb leaving.
I heard about Simmons, Saba, and Echols. Saba was a fan favorite..but nothing special. Simmons sucked, Echols..eh.

I was hearing rumors about Meier leaving...or having offseason surgery done on his shoulder.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Nash come on down to Springfield, Bears need a RB and you would get all the carries.

grandllama
11-29-2004, 05:20 PM
On a serious note, why hasn't SMS turned in to Missouri State?

'cuz CMSU hates SMS and blocks it in the legislature every year.

Cochise
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Allright just for KingPriest and the English impaired,

I wasn't fecking saying that all the coaches in the athletic department should be fired. I was using hyperbole. Hyperbole is a literary device in which exaggeration is used for emphasis. For example, if I said "I almost died laughing at KingPriest's post". Of course, I did not literally almost die, I was using hyperbole to say that it was extremely funny.

Using it in this instance, I was using extravagant exaggeration to express my displeasure with the athletic departments at the University of Missouri. No I did not literally want to fire the coach of the damned shuffleboard team. The fact that the thrust of the post escaped you frankly makes me weep for the future of mankind.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I really think KingPriest2 was the only one who misunderstood. Oh well. Shortly I will receive a PM from him saying he was only joking, and how much he likes K-State.

Cochise
11-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I really think KingPriest2 was the only one who misunderstood. Oh well. Shortly I will receive a PM from him saying he was only joking, and how much he likes K-State.

ROFL

Damnit, quit being funny, I'm trying to hate you in this thread.

KevB
11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
No I did not literally want to fire the coach of the damned shuffleboard team. The fact that the thrust of the post escaped you frankly makes me weep for the future of mankind.

ROFL

|Zach|
11-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Nah, that is MU's fine work. Mizzou has alot more to lose...

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 06:57 PM

No its Mizzou.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Funny thing is SMS overall has a better athletic program than Mizzou does.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 07:01 PM

SMS to the Big 12??? Change the name, get D1 football, lets go Bears. :)

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 07:03 PM
SMS to the Big 12??? Change the name, get D1 football, lets go Bears. :)
Drop Baylor, i'd be all for it. Although, then Missouri would have an excuse for being so pathetic every year. Pesky in-state competition that Kansas and Kansas State has to deal with.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Drop Baylor, i'd be all for it. Although, then Missouri would have an excuse for being so pathetic every year. Pesky in-state competition that Kansas and Kansas State has to deal with.

Mizzou would probally go running off to the Big 10 if it ever happens.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Mizzou would probally go running off to the Big 10 if it ever happens.
Naw..they'd tuck their tail between their legs and petition to get in the MVC.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 07:12 PM

Move Colorado to the South Division, keep the heart of the old Big 8 together and lose a pesky Texas school. :thumb:

Frazod
11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
And the hits just keep on coming.... :banghead:

I hope Stinkel gets the boot and Nash comes back. Nash is a far better back than Stinkel is a coach. Of course, I'M A BETTER BACK than Stinkel is a coach, so I guess that's not saying much.

:cuss:

I have a dream. In that dream, Vermeil replaces Shanahan at Denver and hires Stinkel to be his offensive coordinator....

redbrian
11-29-2004, 08:00 PM

Two points;

1) Your obsession with MU is really perplexing, and really borders on the neurotic.

2) Speaking as a SMS Alum, I donít know what crack your smoking, but SMSís sports program is not that great.
They do a good job at having one or two programs going well then chasing off the coaches (due to lack of funds).
They lack the budget to compete with the big boys always have and always will.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Two points;

1) Your obsession with MU is really perplexing, and really borders on the neurotic.

2) Speaking as a SMS Alum, I donít know what crack your smoking, but SMSís sports program is not that great.
They do a good job at having one or two programs going well then chasing off the coaches (due to lack of funds).
They lack the budget to compete with the big boys always have and always will.
They actually do quite well in baseball, track and field, and even basketball.

redbrian
11-29-2004, 08:12 PM
They actually do quite well in baseball, track and field, and even basketball.

Baseball yes, they have for a long time had a decent program....and they do have a nice stadium now (or so I have been led to understand).

Basketball
Men's: flew the coop with Spoon
Women's: flew the coop with Bennit (thats not quite right on the name but close).
Track and Field soso no real world beaters.

They have also in the past had Top Ranked
Girls Softball (coach left for more pay)
Gymnastics (coach left for more pay)
Swim Team (coach left for more pay)

You get the drift, as I said they don't have the facilites or the funds to support a competitive full blown Div I program.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Baseball yes, they have for a long time had a decent program....and they do have a nice stadium now (or so I have been led to understand).

Basketball
Men's: flew the coop with Spoon
Women's: flew the coop with Bennit (thats not quite right on the name but close).
Track and Field soso no real world beaters.

They have also in the past had Top Ranked
Girls Softball (coach left for more pay)
Gymnastics (coach left for more pay)
Swim Team (coach left for more pay)

You get the drift, as I said they don't have the facilites or the funds to support a competitive full blown Div I program.

Do you think they would become a full blown D-I program as Missouri State?

Pitt Gorilla
11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Mizzou Volleyball is hosting a regional in the national tournament; that implies that they are one of the top 16 teams in the nation. Good stuff!

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Mizzou Volleyball is hosting a regional in the national tournament; that implies that they are one of the top 16 teams in the nation. Good stuff!
I don't know much about volleyball, but I saw NU was ranked #1 and 27-1. KSU is unranked, but just swept Mizzou in their final series of the season. KSU, KU, and Mu are in the tourney.

redbrian
11-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Do you think they would become a full blown D-I program as Missouri State?

Nope, they just don't have the deep pockets or traddition of the Alums forking over a bunch of money for the sports department.

Could be dead wrong but I won't be giving them any money for sports, I do support the Construction Management Program, but I will not give them a dime for sports, nor would I waste my time going down there for a game.