PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Physical Education

Coach
11-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm just curious how CP members feel about physical education programs in the United States. Do CP members feel that Physical Education should be a “basic” subject or a supplementary area of the curriculum?

Also, does it concern CP members that time spent in physical education classes across the country has dropped over the last decade from 42 percent of students in 1991 to 25 percent in 1995? (Even though I can't find any accurate reports of recent percentages.)

Just want some thoughts/comments.

Coach
11-29-2004, 04:27 PM
*bump*

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
I sure think it should be required. Obesity is becoming a big issue, and half an hour of exercise every day might make a difference.

Braincase
Should be manadatory, but separate the jocks from the nerds. Have your varsity athletes in one set of classes, your computer club/music theater in different set of classes. Just an idea.

Pants
Meh, I took it in HS. Didn't seem to help me that much.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Mandatory for all who do not participate in a school sport or sanctioned out-of-school sport (some schools don't have swim teams; dance for girls ((or light-in-the-loafer boys)) etc)

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 04:30 PM
How about some sort of screening of phys ed teachers? How come ever phys ed teacher i've ever had is a fvcking ex-military psycho who wants to set up some sort of rigorous training "routine". Just let us play basketball for half an hour, you asshat.

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Should be manadatory, but separate the jocks from the nerds. Have your varsity athletes in one set of classes, your computer club/music theater in different set of classes. Just an idea.

Why? Are beatings not exercise?

Brock
11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Waste of time. Teaches nothing.

Pants
11-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh shit, for some reason I thought you meant like Health Education or w/e. My bad. PE is good, and yeah it should be mandatorry, it was in my HS. You had to have 2 years of it to graduate. Team games was a good class.

Coach
11-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh shit, for some reason I thought you meant like Health Education or w/e. My bad. PE is good, and yeah it should be mandatorry, it was in my HS. You had to have 2 years of it to graduate. Team games was a good class.

No, not really focusing on Health Education. I'm just strictly looking into Physical Education.

seclark
11-29-2004, 04:40 PM
after study hall and detention, phys ed was my favorite jerkoff class.
sec

Pants
11-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Correction (not that it matters) you had to have 2 semesters of PE, not 2 years to graduate from my HS.

Bob Dole
11-29-2004, 04:49 PM
How about some sort of screening of phys ed teachers? How come ever phys ed teacher i've ever had is a fvcking ex-military psycho who wants to set up some sort of rigorous training "routine". Just let us play basketball for half an hour, you asshat.

It really bothered you when he kept shouting, "KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!" didn't it?

RedNFeisty
11-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I think it should certainly be mandatory. 2 Semesters in four years is nothing. My funnest class was weights, I shared that class with all of the jocks, so of course it was fun!

Seriously, with obesity the way it is, make some of these kids that do nothing but watch t.v. and play video games get up and get some exercise, we all know it is not the parents responsibility.

Predarat
11-29-2004, 04:51 PM
PE with plenty of Dodge ball and NO gymnastics! Go Bling!!

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 04:52 PM
I can't believe dodgeball isn't played anymore! That game was a blast.

RedNFeisty
11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
I can't believe dodgeball isn't played anymore! That game was a blast.

They are still playing it, it is called Extereme Dodgeball and it is on the GameShow chanel. :thumb: Funny as hell to watch drunk!

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
after study hall and detention, phys ed was my favorite jerkoff class.
sec
Ick. Glad my locker wasn't next to yours.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 04:56 PM
They are still playing it, it is called Extereme Dodgeball and it is on the GameShow chanel. :thumb: Funny as hell to watch drunk!

More fun to <i>play</i> drunk ;)

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 04:56 PM
PE was the only class I didn't get an A in in HS. Two semesters of B. I think you basically got a B for showing up every day and changing into your gym clothes. Which was about how much effort I put into that "class".

Rausch
11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
PE was the only class I didn't get an A in in HS. Two semesters of B. I think you basically got a B for showing up every day and changing into your gym clothes. Which was about how much effort I put into that "class".

Why do I need to learn the history of basketball? Why?

PE isn't going to buff out a fatass and it isn't enough to whip anyone into good physical condition. A running class or weight training class I could understand.

Spicy McHaggis
11-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Hell one of my buddies is taking weight lifting and advanced PE in college. He says they just spend half and hour in the gym and then go play 3 on 3 for another 45 minutes. Not that his parents know that. I never had a problem with PE in highschool I always looked forward to getting outta the classroom for a bit.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:06 PM
I absolutely think PE should be a major class and should be done everyday. In the school I teach in our kids have PE every other day. I had it every day my entire school career. In high schools I agree that those who play varsity sports don't need PE, they could substitute a study hall to help them keep eligible for their sport.

I just watched Supersize Me this past weekend. Quite disturbing to see exactly how fat we are as a nation.

Another thing that bothers me is all of these bogus Low Carb diets. The only diet that really works is to eat less food and exercise. If we send the message to kids that exercise isn't that important, they won't continue to do it when they leave school and the country will get fatter and more unhealthy.

Unfortunately PE programs are being lost to test prep classes. Someone came up with the great idea that a school's effectiveness can be best measured by how well students do in reading, writing, and rithmetic on one test, and thus any funding you hope to get will be based on that one test, so voila, bye bye PE, hello test prep!

Rausch
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Another thing that bothers me is all of these bogus Low Carb diets. The only diet that really works is to eat less food and exercise.

I lost 65 lbs on the carb diet. The problem is kids stuffing their face and being lazy...

PE won't cure lazy...

Pants
11-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I absolutely think PE should be a major class and should be done everyday. In the school I teach in our kids have PE every other day. I had it every day my entire school career. In high schools I agree that those who play varsity sports don't need PE, they could substitute a study hall to help them keep eligible for their sport.

I just watched Supersize Me this past weekend. Quite disturbing to see exactly how fat we are as a nation.

Another thing that bothers me is all of these bogus Low Carb diets. The only diet that really works is to eat less food and exercise. If we send the message to kids that exercise isn't that important, they won't continue to do it when they leave school and the country will get fatter and more unhealthy.

Unfortunately PE programs are being lost to test prep classes. Someone came up with the great idea that a school's effectiveness can be best measured by how well students do in reading, writing, and rithmetic on one test, and thus any funding you hope to get will be based on that one test, so voila, bye bye PE, hello test prep!

Heheh, are you a PE coach?
I'm all for PE, but the periods need to be longer. I don't like changing and taking shitty school showers for 30 minutes to run for 15 minutes. The system sucks, but PE itself owns.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Hell one of my buddies is taking weight lifting and advanced PE in college. He says they just spend half and hour in the gym and then go play 3 on 3 for another 45 minutes. Not that his parents know that. I never had a problem with PE in highschool I always looked forward to getting outta the classroom for a bit.
The problem is, somewhere along the line someone decided that you had to sit in a desk and read a book for it to be a legit class. Most people learn better by doing anyway. Sometimes all you need is an outlet and structure to teach you something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Coach
11-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Correction (not that it matters) you had to have 2 semesters of PE, not 2 years to graduate from my HS.

That is correct. I believe it's one of the state requirements in order to graduate from high school, especially in Kansas. I don't know how it works out on the other states though.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Heheh, are you a PE coach?
I'm all for PE, but the periods need to be longer. I don't like changing and taking shitty school showers for 30 minutes to run for 15 minutes. The system sucks, but PE itself owns.
Nope, I'm a science teacher. I agree periods definitely need to be longer, and less. We have 9 periods in my school day, each 39 minutes long. I think it's hard enough doing a lab in that span of time, I can't imagine how frustrating it is trying to play any kind of game.

2bikemike
11-29-2004, 05:14 PM
I always took PE classes in High School. Of course I took all the easiest classes.

One thing that I find kinda funny now is we always showered after gym class. None of my kids showered after gym. They say nobody does.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
That is correct. I believe it's one of the state requirements in order to graduate from high school, especially in Kansas. I don't know how it works out on the other states though.
Not sure of the requirements here in PA, but in my high school career, I had PE every semester of Every year (From mid 10th grade on).

2 semesters over 4 years is downright apalling.

Pants
11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Nope, I'm a science teacher. I agree periods definitely need to be longer, and less. We have 9 periods in my school day, each 39 minutes long. I think it's hard enough doing a lab in that span of time, I can't imagine how frustrating it is trying to play any kind of game.

Hmm we had 7 50min classes. Still too short.

I must say I somewhat disagree with you on the way stuff is being taught. You can't learn everything by doing it. You have to know the theories behind the material. Besides you can't physically "DO" history or math or a language for that matter. Just a few examples.

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Good Lord... that's just silly.

IIRC, when I was in HS we had six 1-hour periods (I think they were actually 50-something minutes.. but, whatever.) There was an option "zero hour", where you could take seven classes a day and you showed up an hour earlier than "normal" people.

My senior year they switched to a block schedule. I think then everyone took seven classes a semester... I forget how the times worked out, but I know I was signed up for a bunch of advanced classes there were only one section of each... in the summer when they re-arranged the schedule, a bunch of my classes conflicted, so I just dropped 'em all. I only needed one credit to graduate. I never even set foot in the building 2 or 3 days a week. It was a pretty nice prep for college life... except, that year I used my free days working tech support for an ISP, and in college I spent my free time smoking weed. But... close enough.

Coach
11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Boy, I wish the search function was working, because I would deftinaly want that one thread where we had the "Pussification of the Male" or whatever it was. There was the discussion about the standards/curiculum is getting out of whack. Those can make good points as well into Physical Education.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:20 PM
I lost 65 lbs on the carb diet. The problem is kids stuffing their face and being lazy...

PE won't cure lazy...
Yes, but keeping that weight off for sustained amounts of time won't be as easy unless you are also exercising.

The best diet is still eat less and smarter (whether that means counting carbs, fat, sodium, or whatever) and exercise. You are right. Too many kids eat complete crap and sit on their asses playing video games.

Parents are the best thing to cure lazy. Setting good examples. Not allowing their children to play playstation all day. Pushing them to get involved in sports. PE helps expose kids to different types of physical activity, that they may take an interest in later in life.

Jenson71
11-29-2004, 05:21 PM
In high school - no.

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 05:22 PM
2 semesters over 4 years is downright apalling.

Bah. If some 16 or 17 year old wants to be a fat, lazy f*ck.. they're gonna be.

I was focused on classes that were going to have real impact on my upcoming college career. There were PE classes available for juniors and seniors to take... but, if the school and/or the state had forced me to be in PE every year, I would've been more than a little ticked.

Skip Towne
11-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Sounds good, fatboy.

Jenson71
11-29-2004, 05:24 PM

I was focused on classes that were going to have real impact on my upcoming college career. There were PE classes available for juniors and seniors to take... but, if the school and/or the state had forced me to be in PE every year, I would've been more than a little ticked.

That's how I feel. Unfortunately, it's mandatory where I go unless you fill out a bunch of papers and have meetings with your parents and counselor.

Pants
11-29-2004, 05:25 PM
That's how I feel. Unfortunately, it's mandatory where I go unless you fill out a bunch of papers and have meetings with your parents and counselor.

You mean where you TEACH...right?

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Besides you can't physically "DO" history or math or a language for that matter. Just a few examples.
Yes you can, you've just never had teachers inventive enough to figure out how to do that. You obviously have to mix approaches. Notes one day, lab the next, activity one day, research projects, observation days, etc. But a lot of people remember better by actually doing.

I should clarify, I teach at a middle school, so attention spans are shorter, which I understand. However, we try too hard to squeeze too much in. I had 7 periods a day from 7th grade through high school. 9 period is just ridiculous.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:29 PM

To each their own I guess. I for one loved the time PE afforded me during the school day to get away from "school" and all of the college prep that was going on. The high school I went to had a strong Health and PE department too, and I really learned a lot about staying fit and being healthy.

Jenson71
11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
You mean where you TEACH...right?

No. I know. I'm a genious for my age. Ahem, genius.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes, but keeping that weight off for sustained amounts of time won't be as easy unless you are also exercising.

The best diet is still eat less and smarter (whether that means counting carbs, fat, sodium, or whatever) and exercise. You are right. Too many kids eat complete crap and sit on their asses playing video games.

Parents are the best thing to cure lazy. Setting good examples. Not allowing their children to play playstation all day. Pushing them to get involved in sports. PE helps expose kids to different types of physical activity, that they may take an interest in later in life.

That's why I'm all for a jogging/running or weight training class.

But we'd waste time studying the history of a sport, then play the sport for a week, then move on. Very little exercise. Hell, we even did bowling and golf. But I'm all for motivating young kids to exercise.

Logical
11-29-2004, 05:34 PM
My senior year they switched to a block schedule. ....
We had that all through HS 3 one hour and 50 minutes classes that met MW and 3 others that met T-Th then on Friday all 6 classes for 55 minutes each.

Was excellent for Gym class though, you could get an excellent game of BBall or other in that amount of time.

Jenson71
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
To each their own I guess. I for one loved the time PE afforded me during the school day to get away from "school" and all of the college prep that was going on. The high school I went to had a strong Health and PE department too, and I really learned a lot about staying fit and being healthy.

Yeah, I've really learned alot about staying fit and being healthy too. My problem is, I just don't do it. :D

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 05:38 PM
We had that all through HS 3 one hour and 50 minutes classes that met MW and 3 others that met T-Th then on Friday all 6 classes for 55 minutes each.

Was excellent for Gym class though, you could get an excellent game of BBall or other in that amount of time.
Good gosh, way back in the dark ages?

I remember block schedules were all the craze when I was in HS. Seemed like every year more high schools were switching to them.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:39 PM
That's why I'm all for a jogging/running or weight training class.

But we'd waste time studying the history of a sport, then play the sport for a week, then move on. Very little exercise. Hell, we even did bowling and golf. But I'm all for motivating young kids to exercise.
This is what I'm saying. Screw the history, teach the rules and necessary skills, then just give kids as much time as THEY want to play. Give them the choice, they love that. There will always be a sport or activity that they don't like and you won't spend as much time on to compensate for the sports they do like and want to play.

Running and weight training are also excellent things to have in school. I think if more schools spent time getting kids to just run, we wouldn't have half the problems we see today. The weight room in my school isn't used that much. I lift every other day down there and stuff looks the same as my buddies and I left it 2 days earlier.

ENDelt260
11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I think if more schools spent time getting kids to just run, we wouldn't have half the problems we see today.

In the mandatory PE class, I think half of the semester was cross country. Like 2 or 3 days of the week, you just ran around the school grounds all period.

Coach
11-29-2004, 05:43 PM
This is what I'm saying. Screw the history, teach the rules and necessary skills, then just give kids as much time as THEY want to play. Give them the choice, they love that. There will always be a sport or activity that they don't like and you won't spend as much time on to compensate for the sports they do like and want to play.

Running and weight training are also excellent things to have in school. I think if more schools spent time getting kids to just run, we wouldn't have half the problems we see today. The weight room in my school isn't used that much. I lift every other day down there and stuff looks the same as my buddies and I left it 2 days earlier.

That's another thing that bothers me. Physical Education. I feel that it should be about PHYSICAL. Meaning that the students should learn about their physical side, and how they can improve their fitness and how they can gain muscle strength, along with playing some certain sports for motor skills. I'm not worried about the history of basketball or football or anything. I would be more concerned into how they can throw/catch/run with the ball, and how they can improve their skills on that.

That's how I see it.

DJay23
11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
In the mandatory PE class, I think half of the semester was cross country. Like 2 or 3 days of the week, you just ran around the school grounds all period.
Running is one thing we never did a lot of in my school, for as "good" as the PE program was/is (I guess maybe not as good as I would make it seem). I didn't get into running until my junior year of college, when I figured out the best way for me to breathe without feeling like my heart would explode and lungs burn to nothing.

Logical
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Good gosh, way back in the dark ages?

I remember block schedules were all the craze when I was in HS. Seemed like every year more high schools were switching to them.

We had a brand new HS and they wanted to try something new. Oak Park tried modular scheduling where they had 22 minute modules and it took a computer to arrange the teachers around the student desires for classes. From what I heard Oak Park's systems was a real nightmare for getting the classes the students needed to meet their mandatory requirements. For us the teachers could not fill the time and most of the time we ended up with 30 minutes of independent study (read screw-off) time. In advanced classes it was even sillier, they would give us our assignments and set us free. LOL good times.

BIG_DADDY
11-29-2004, 05:51 PM
That's another thing that bothers me. Physical Education. I feel that it should be about PHYSICAL. Meaning that the students should learn about their physical side, and how they can improve their fitness and how they can gain muscle strength, along with playing some certain sports for motor skills. I'm not worried about the history of basketball or football or anything. I would be more concerned into how they can throw/catch/run with the ball, and how they can improve their skills on that.

That's how I see it.

I agree. The weight training I got out of PE when I was a kid and what my godson just went through were both terrible though. My favorite activity is PE was archery I thought that was hella cool. I'll bet nobody teaches that anymore.

Coach
11-29-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree. The weight training I got out of PE when I was a kid and what my godson just went through were both terrible though. My favorite activity is PE was archery I thought that was hella cool. I'll bet nobody teaches that anymore.

Well whenever I get the teaching oppiturnity, I will plan on teaching archery. It's really simple to teach it, and it's fun to do as well. Also it helps (if I make any sense here) how the students motor skills are, in terms of properly trying to shoot the arrow from the bow to the target.

The reason why I asked this question is, I am doing a research paper, and basically discuss why Physical Education should not be part of the curriculum. So I'm just getting some ideas from here and try to place it into my favor of my arguements.