PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we'll have a ton of picks in the upcoming draft...

DaWolf
11-30-2004, 02:49 AM
• DRAFT TALK: The Chiefs will have at least nine picks in next year's draft and are hoping for more. They lost their third- or fourth-round pick to Philadelphia in the trade for John Welbourn. The pick will be a third-rounder if Welbourn, out for the season because of a balky knee, winds up playing in more than half of the offensive snaps or a fourth-rounder if he plays in fewer than half.

The Chiefs also may lose a seventh-round pick to Houston in the trade for punter Steve Cheek.

But the Chiefs have extra fifth-, sixth- and seventh-round choices from trades with the Packers and a fifth-rounder from a deal with the Lions. They are hopeful of obtaining a compensatory pick as high as the third or fourth round for losing tackle John Tait in free-agency.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10299403.htm

Hopefully this ain't a repost. This is really good news. It not only makes it not necessary to trade down to accumulate more draft picks, it gives us plenty of ammo to trade up and pick up guys we are targeting who can make an impact. Now the thing is, Carl better pull the trigger on the right guys.

The rest of the article BTW:

CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Status up in air for Holmes, Green

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Not only are the Chiefs unlikely to play without their starting halfback Sunday in Oakland, but they also may play without their starting quarterback.

Coach Dick Vermeil said Monday that Priest Holmes was probably at least one more game away from returning from his knee injury and that Trent Green will be listed as questionable for the Raiders game. Green has sore ribs from hits he took in Sunday's loss to San Diego.

“Knowing him, he'll get better quickly,” Vermeil said of Green. “We're so spoiled by his consecutive starts that you just take it for granted he's going to be ready.”

Green hasn't missed a start or been forced from a game because of injury since joining the Chiefs in 2001.

The Chiefs were hopeful last week that Holmes would be ready to play against the Raiders, but they apparently will go instead with Derrick Blaylock, Larry Johnson or some combination.

“There are not a lot of things you can put a magic salve on,” Vermeil said of Holmes. “The big thing he needs is to gradually get it going. (Today) I understand he'll start in a limited running program.”

Strong safety Greg Wesley, injured in pregame warm-ups Sunday, will be listed as doubtful against the Raiders.

• GAME TIME CHANGE: The start time for the Dec. 19 game against Denver at Arrowhead Stadium has been switched from 3:15 p.m. to noon.

The game was scheduled to be the national telecast in the second window of the CBS doubleheader that day, but with the Chiefs faltering at 3-8, the network found a more attractive game in Jacksonville at Green Bay. That game was supposed to begin at noon but now will kick off at 3:15 p.m.

Fairplay
11-30-2004, 03:06 AM
Im sorry to rain on your parade. Call me Mr.Negative or even gloom and doom.
I call myself realistic though. The Chiefs draft picks in other years fail to impress me. Why would it be different this year? With Peterson in control, i don't see the Chiefs achieving great success under him.

DaWolf
11-30-2004, 03:36 AM
I call myself realistic though. The Chiefs draft picks in other years fail to impress me. Why would it be different this year? With Peterson in control, i don't see the Chiefs achieving great success under him.

I hear ya. Our current front office hasn't given us much to be impressed about in recent drafts. But since we have little choice in the matter, we've just gotta hope that this is one of those drafts that Carl actually gets it right. If he does, we can make a quick accension back to the top. If not, it will keep us down for a few years. It is a critical draft with the D needing to be rebuilt and the O getting older. It's all set up to be done, now they just need to get it done. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

BTW, sorry tk13, didn't notice that you had this article posted already because it was on page 2. My bad...

tk13
11-30-2004, 03:53 AM
:spock: I never posted anything that's in this thread.... there's nothing to apologize for, not that there would be anyway. People worry too much about that stuff, it's bound to happen, especially with no search function. Now I am a big enough ass to make fun of people who post something when the same thing is only 4 or 5 threads from the top on the front page, but that's all in good fun... :)

the Talking Can
11-30-2004, 07:07 AM
yeah, at least we'll cover the picks lost for Welbourne....one of the few things CP did right this year was trading scrubs for draft picks

John_Wayne
11-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Good. We need a good draft this year.

BigRedChief
11-30-2004, 08:01 AM

What he said. Why should this year be any different?

DaWolf
11-30-2004, 08:13 AM
What he said. Why should this year be any different?
Not saying it will be, just saying it needs to be. The opportunity is there. Now I could sit here and feel hopeless about everything, but I'm just choosing to look at it this way: The table is set, we have all these draft picks, we should have plenty of picks to fill holes or maneuver in the draft, we're OK capwise, and Carl obviously cannot sit on his ass this offseason like he did last offseason coming off of a 13-3 record. We've had successful offseasons before following poor offseasons. I'm just gonna hope it turns out that way this offseason. As a team that needs to make big time changes, it's better to be in this situation than it would to be cap strapped and only having 5 picks...

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Well, that's good news. I didn't realize we were losing such a high draft pick for Welbourne, though.

ROYC75
11-30-2004, 08:32 AM
How many of you would trade all of our picks after # 1 for another # 1, say top 8 picks.

Maybe take Johnson and Rolle ?

Not sure I would, but it might be tempting the way CP works the draft .

Cochise
11-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Actually this might be a really good thing, as it seems like we get more production out of people we pick in the low and middle rounds.

jcroft
11-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Awesome. We should be able to find a great running back and tight end with all those picks.

philfree
11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
WE're do for a good draft. Where we are going to be picking gives us a chance to draft the players we need. We'll have a chance at a top 3 CB with our first pick or a top 2 LB. Maybe even a QBOTF. In 2nd round we'll have a chance for and decent DE or OT. (excuse me for being on the Carl will screw it up anyways band wagon) Actually if things keep going the way they have been we'll be in position trade down only a few spots for a team willing to pay heavy for a QB. If we could trade down with the Cowboys we could possibly come out of the 1st round with a combo of 1st rounders like Ahmad Brooks LB and Marlin Jackson CB/Corey Webster CB. A combo like that would be better then just a Rolle or Johnson IMO. Any one of those players would help our roster though.

Oh and there's also a PK and a P in this draft that rival the pair taken by the Raiders a few years back.

PhilFree :arrow:

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2004, 09:13 AM
I would be happy if we didn't just blow our picks on projects.

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Oh and there's also a PK and a P in this draft that rival the pair taken by the Raiders a few years back.

What kicker and punter is that?

Logical
11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
How many of you would trade all of our picks after # 1 for another # 1, say top 8 picks.

Maybe take Johnson and Rolle ?

Not sure I would, but it might be tempting the way CP works the draft .Sign me up for support if we could get a Rolle and D Johnson. That would be a sweet deal for the Chiefs under CP.

CanadaKC
11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
The Chiefs’ linebackers are terrible,” he told PFW. “Shawn Barber (before he got hurt) missed way too many tackles. Of their seven linebackers, only one is anything more than a marginal backup in the league — Scott Fujita. The rest you can cut. No. 50 (second-year MLB Kawika Mitchell) was tackling with his elbows, like he’s back in the old days. I kept saying, ‘Just wrap him up.’ His arms can’t be that short.” Another scout said that once Mitchell gets to the ball, he’s actually not a bad tackler. “But it’s just a matter of him finding the (expletive) ball,” he said. “He’s lost out there. Taking him in the second round was obviously an error.”

This according to one NFL scout. If Gunther has his way....Derrick Johnson will be a Chief in 2005.

ROYC75
11-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Chiefs’ linebackers are terrible,” he told PFW. “Shawn Barber (before he got hurt) missed way too many tackles. Of their seven linebackers, only one is anything more than a marginal backup in the league — Scott Fujita. The rest you can cut. No. 50 (second-year MLB Kawika Mitchell) was tackling with his elbows, like he’s back in the old days. I kept saying, ‘Just wrap him up.’ His arms can’t be that short.” Another scout said that once Mitchell gets to the ball, he’s actually not a bad tackler. “But it’s just a matter of him finding the (expletive) ball,” he said. “He’s lost out there. Taking him in the second round was obviously an error.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This according to one NFL scout. If Gunther has his way....Derrick Johnson will be a Chief in 2005.

PBJ .... Don't let GoChiefs see this, he will piss on his sucker again. ROFL

ROYC75
11-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Sign me up for support if we could get a Rolle and D Johnson. That would be a sweet deal for the Chiefs under CP.

The thought of 2 playmakers, or even the possibilities sound really good.

BTA, it's a pipe dream.......

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2004, 10:01 AM
• GAME TIME CHANGE: The start time for the Dec. 19 game against Denver at Arrowhead Stadium has been switched from 3:15 p.m. to noon.

That game was supposed to begin at noon but now will kick off at 3:15 p.m.

Anyone else confused?

JimNasium
11-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Awesome. We should be able to find a great running back and tight end with all those picks.
Don't forget a cornerback converted from a former safety. We seem to be light on those as well.

JimNasium
11-30-2004, 10:05 AM

That game was supposed to begin at noon but now will kick off at 3:15 p.m.

Anyone else confused?
I suspect it was going to be the game of the week but with the poor performance of KC they've moved it back to the noon start time.

Phobia
11-30-2004, 10:11 AM
After reconsideration last evening, I've decided we probably won't get a 4th round pick from the loss of Tait.

The formula is incredibly confusing, but part of it included playing time and performance. We signed Bober, Dalton, and Pile as UFA's in the offseason and they're all starting. They may offset the loss of Tait according to the compensation forumula.

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2004, 10:16 AM
After reconsideration last evening, I've decided we probably won't get a 4th round pick from the loss of Tait.

The formula is incredibly confusing, but part of it included playing time and performance. We signed Bober, Dalton, and Pile as UFA's in the offseason and they're all starting. They may offset the loss of Tait according to the compensation forumula.

I just hope we make wise decisions with the choices we have.

philfree
11-30-2004, 10:17 AM
What kicker and punter is that?

Mike Nugent, K, Ohio St.
Dustin Colquitt, P, Tennessee

Really just going buy what I read from Scouts,inc.

JohnnyV13
11-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Willie Pile wasn't a UFA,

he was one of our own draft choices in 2003 and he was on our practice squad. I think Lional Dalton was also a street free agent after Washinton cut him, not a UFA because his contract expired. That would put those two players outside the compensation formula.

The Chiefs lost Jonathan Quinn and Tait in FA, both for considerably more money (another factor in the compensation formula) than Dalton or Bober. So the Chiefs have a good chance at getting compensation.

Coach
11-30-2004, 10:36 AM
I suspect it was going to be the game of the week but with the poor performance of KC they've moved it back to the noon start time.

Yes, it was slated to be a National TV game, but since we pissed our season away, they moved the KC/DEN game to the 12:00 slot and moved the GB/JAX game to the 3:15 slot.