View Full Version : DVDS on 11/30/04

Ghostof
11-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Spiderman 2 and HERO

Both out today

Both are badass

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Eh, I am waiting for December 7th when The Bourne Supremacy comes out. Otherwise, there isn't much in the way of new DVDs I am really looking forward to.

I'll pick up S2 at some point, but I'm in no hurry to get it.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 09:05 AM
“Hero” is a gorgeous film. I might have to pick that one up at half.com in a couple of months.

“Spiderman 2” was fun, but will not be going in the Rancho Gaz inventory.

“The Bourne Supremacy” was nearly unwatchable due to the intrusive directing style. Every time the actions started up, the camera started shaking and jerking. Irritating. Too bad, because the plot was a solid follow-up to “The Bourne Identity.”

We rented “The Chronicles of Riddick” last night. I was not expecting much. It was a big budget sequel to a fine low-budget flick and the reviews were universally unflattering. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. The special effects are very cool. It is not the same kind of movie as “Pitch Black,” but it is worth a rent.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pleasantly surprised.

wutamess
11-30-2004, 09:06 AM
On your hoot scale what do you give Pitch Black?

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 09:06 AM
I already own the Hong Kong release of Hero from a couple of years back. I will be buying the US release as well.

I think I can just rent Spidey and be happy. When 3 is released they will have a box set I can purchase then.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 09:13 AM
On your hoot scale what do you give Pitch Black?

“Pitch Black” is a nifty low-budget horror flick disguised as science fiction. The characters are nicely mixed, with nary a clear-cut hero in sight. The special effects are quite good. The story is simple [a footrace with monsters in the dark]. The acting is adequate. While I do not think Vin Diesel is a great actor, he fits the Riddick role very well. Amoral and brutal, with the tiniest vein of humanity under the surface.

I would give “Pitch Black” a solid 4 Hoots. It is a very grim story, full of unlikable characters, so the fun factor is reduced just a bit. Still, it is well worth a rent.

FWIW, Twohy also directs “The Chronicles of Riddick” as well as a WWII submarine ghost story called “Below.” Both are worth renting.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considers “Pitch Black” a bit of a gem.

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 09:29 AM
“Hero” is a gorgeous film. I might have to pick that one up at half.com in a couple of months.

“Spiderman 2” was fun, but will not be going in the Rancho Gaz inventory.

“The Bourne Supremacy” was nearly unwatchable due to the intrusive directing style. Every time the actions started up, the camera started shaking and jerking. Irritating. Too bad, because the plot was a solid follow-up to “The Bourne Identity.”

We rented “The Chronicles of Riddick” last night. I was not expecting much. It was a big budget sequel to a fine low-budget flick and the reviews were universally unflattering. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. The special effects are very cool. It is not the same kind of movie as “Pitch Black,” but it is worth a rent.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pleasantly surprised.

That was my only problem with it, but I'll buy it anyway. Hopefully they reverse course with the shaky cam crap when they make the third one.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I bought “The Bourne Identity” on DVD. A nice, taut thriller, IMO. “The Bourne Supremacy” would have been a good sequel [a truly rare thing], but the palsy cam was so irritating that I did not enjoy it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hates to see a nice plot wasted like that.

beavis
11-30-2004, 09:48 AM
I bought “The Bourne Identity” on DVD. A nice, taut thriller, IMO. “The Bourne Supremacy” would have been a good sequel [a truly rare thing], but the palsy cam was so irritating that I did not enjoy it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hates to see a nice plot wasted like that.

My thoughts exactly, but I think I liked the first one a lot more than you did. It was in my top 5 for that year. Also disappointing that they cut Franka almost completely out of the sequel. It was severely lacking in eye candy.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 10:01 AM
I did not mean to imply that I did not like TBI. I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. I was skeptical that Matt Damon could carry off the action-hero lead, but he did a fine job.

That is why I was SO irritated and disappointed with TBS.

xoxo~
Gaz
Will go to the 3rd Bourne if a new director is hired.

Raiderhader
11-30-2004, 10:11 AM
The shaky cam irritated the hell out of me, but not enough so to completely ruin the film.

I'm anxiously awaiting the The Bourne Ultimatum.