PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Present opinions: GPS

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 11:46 AM
ok ... me pop's apparently wants a GPS, i know very little about them.

he also fishes alot, and I've heard of some of them that have some kind of fishing helper
thingie(<-- thingie happens to be a technical term :p )

what do i need to look for in a GPS? Do they all have a monthly fee for GPS service?

any brand better than others? Any brand that is complete crap?

any and all opinions would be greatly appreciate

btw - sorry about the lack of a poll, i'll try and do better next time. :spock:

WilliamTheIrish
11-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Whatever type you decide to buy go with GARMIN (http://www.garmin.com/).

They are locally owned (Olathe) and their products are first rate.

morphius
11-30-2004, 11:58 AM
My father bought a Garmin for himself this year and loves it. He used it to travel the wastelands, just preprogrammed his route, hung it from the mirror of his truck and left. He went through Western NE, SD and ND, across Northern MN to Deluth and back to the twin cities, all on highways and backroads, no interstate.

WilliamTheIrish
11-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Morph my brother owns one. He says it's the absolute best navigation tool he's ever used.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Whatever type you decide to buy go with GARMIN (http://www.garmin.com/).

They are locally owned (Olathe) and their products are first rate.
thanks...

but to be honest, after visiting that site i'm more confuse then ever. :(

priority for pops:

1. ease of use (just a straightforward design)
2. reliability (so that dam thing doesnt break every 5 seconds)
3. not a high monthly fee(if any fee)
4. bonus ... the fishing thingie

dtebbe
11-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I am a Garmin dealer, and I agree that Garmin is the best way to go. They are an absolute top notch company from top to bottom. What you need to find out is if he just needs a waypoint type unit (just shows your lat/lon and tracks where you have gone, allows you to enter waypoints so you can revist those points) or a mapping unit (actually shows highways, rivers, etc.) The mapping units cost quite a bit more. I personally have been using the GPSMAP 61C with the full streets software for a month or so, and it is pretty cool. Mapping units start at about $300. The waypoint type units start around $100.

DT

trapped_in_stl
11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Don't buy the yellow one (cheapest) At least get the blue one (Garmin Legend) That's what I have. Theres no monthly cost or subscription. It will effectivly mark fishing locations, so you can navigate back to them latter. That's mostly what I use it for. It also has the solunear tables buiilt in to tell you when the best time to fish is. Bought it before a fishing trip to Canada. But it also has a base map of the North America built in. All numbered hyways and interstates are shown on the screen. With this feature I use it to navigate on the road as well. The yellow one dosn't have this. This one should cost around $150

If you can go higher, buy the silver (vista) The main addition is the digital compase. The others you have to move for it to get a good directional reading. With the digital compase you can be standing still and always know which way is north.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
I am a Garmin dealer, and I agree that Garmin is the best way to go. They are an absolute top notch company from top to bottom. What you need to find out is if he just needs a waypoint type unit (just shows your lat/lon and tracks where you have gone, allows you to enter waypoints so you can revist those points) or a mapping unit (actually shows highways, rivers, etc.) The mapping units cost quite a bit more. I personally have been using the GPSMAP 61C with the full streets software for a month or so, and it is pretty cool. Mapping units start at about $300. The waypoint type units start around $100.

DT

not so worried about my initial investment ... but more worried about any kind of monthly fee it takes to run the thing.

i hate buying a present that is going to cost the person money.

i also worry about the GPS map being so cluttered with information that he can't use it easily.

i'll check out that GPSMAP 61c ... thanks :thumb:

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I lost my locator.

And yes, I realize the irony in this.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Don't buy the yellow one (cheapest) At least get the blue one (Garmin Legend) That's what I have. Theres no monthly cost or subscription. It will effectivly mark fishing locations, so you can navigate back to them latter. That's mostly what I use it for. It also has the solunear tables buiilt in to tell you when the best time to fish is. Bought it before a fishing trip to Canada. But it also has a base map of the North America built in. All numbered hyways and interstates are shown on the screen. With this feature I use it to navigate on the road as well. The yellow one dosn't have this. This one should cost around $150

If you can go higher, buy the silver (vista) The main addition is the digital compase. The others you have to move for it to get a good directional reading. With the digital compase you can be standing still and always know which way is north.

:clap: :clap: thanks

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:12 PM
what about this one?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001MALWY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Receiver: WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS
Screen resolution: 480 x 320 pixels
Display: 256-color, sunlight readable TFT with adjustable backlight
Receiver dimensions: 5.7 x 3.2 x 1.9 inches
PC compatibility: Loading and PC downloading of waypoints/routes, tracks and device configuration
Waterproof: IEC 60529, IPX7 (Submersible to 1 meter at 30 minutes)
Waypoints: 3000 user waypoints with an expanded list of waypoint symbols
Routes: 50 reversible routes with 1,200 waypoints per route
Tracks: 10,000 point automatic track log; 15 saved tracks, 700 saved track points each
In the Box: GPSMAP 276C unit, USB interface cable, power/data cable, marine mount, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, owner's manual, quick reference guide, MapSource Trip, and Waypoint Manager CD-ROM

Otter
11-30-2004, 12:21 PM
he also fishes alot, and I've heard of some of them that have some kind of fishing helper thingie(<-- thingie happens to be a technical term :p )

what do i need to look for in a GPS? Do they all have a monthly fee for GPS service?
The fishie thingy is when you have a GPS intergrated into a fish finder.

A fish finder is a peice of equipment that gets mounted on a boat which bounces sonar of the bed of a lake or river and produces a digtal picture of whats between the transciever and the bed of the body of water from what the signal bounces back.

So instead of having to buy a fish finder and a GPS system its a 2 in 1 thing. The GPS portion is not neccessary unless your dad fishes on large lakes or the ocean. It's kinda tough to get lost on a river.

Outside of the Garmin advice I can only add that if he's going to be in dense forest to buy a GPS system with an antenna. Thick tree cover does block signals without an antenna. I know this first hand.

There is no monthly fee for the GPS. The system is a bunch of satalites that rotate around the earth and triangulate your position. The signal is there for free.

If your talking about car mounted models with mapping systems it's a different ball game. Don't know too much about them.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I lost my locator.

And yes, I realize the irony in this.
Did you put a clapper on it? Those always help

Iowanian
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I know quite a bit about GPS, but more about the higher end Mapping and survey grade Units.

Garmin makes a very good product. If he just wants to log waypoints for fishing, and be within 5 meters accuracy, you should be able to hook him up for anywhere from 150-500 depending on how fancy you want, and if you want to be able to store information and maps.

Garmin and Trimble are the big boys.........Ashtech makes a decent product and there are multiple others that would be fine for low end stuff like geocaching and fishing.

As to what to look for.........you shouldn't have to pay a subscription fee..........If it is a RTK device, it should have on the fly differential correction, and he can link to Coast guard beacons or public base stations.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Did you put a clapper on it? Those always help
I don't have the clapper. I will be sure to find you if I need the clap though.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I don't have the clapper. I will be sure to find you if I need the clap though.
Cool, I now have a standard and reason for being.

KCWolfman
I know quite a bit about GPS, but more about the higher end Mapping and survey grade Units.

Garmin makes a very good product. If he just wants to log waypoints for fishing, and be within 5 meters accuracy, you should be able to hook him up for anywhere from 150-500 depending on how fancy you want, and if you want to be able to store information and maps.

Garmin and Trimble are the big boys.........Ashtech makes a decent product and there are multiple others that would be fine for low end stuff like geocaching and fishing.
Moron alert!!! What the hell is geocaching? Are you storing dirt in holes or something?

|Zach|
Cool, I now have a standard and reason for being.
I like to do things for little people here and there.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:33 PM

So instead of having to buy a fish finder and a GPS system its a 2 in 1 thing.

is there one that has 3 in 1...

where it can be used in a car,on a boat, and with a fish sonar?

thanks for help btw... its getting me pointed in right direction

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:34 PM

Laz - I would think any device you can use in a car can be used in a boat as well. The sonar connection is the added device.

of course, I have about as much knowledge on the product that you do. I was given a GPS locator for helping a friend with his car and never have even bothered to look at the model.

Iowanian
11-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Wolfenstien...........Do a google search on "GeoCache"...........Its a fairly new "fad" or hobby.........there is a website, people hide stuff, and give clues/coordinates.........People use GPS to locate the treasure, leave and item of thier own, take an item, fill out a log, maybe take a picture with a camera in it etc...........Its kind of like a treasure hunt with GPS.

Laz..........The GPS device should be able to be used in your hand, in the car, or in a boat...........It'll have to plug into a fish finder.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:37 PM
never have even bothered to look at the model.
You should take some time now.

http://www.blonde-tiffany-teen.com/galleries/yellowtop/5.jpg

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Laz - I would think any device you can use in a car can be used in a boat as well. The sonar connection is the added device.

of course, I have about as much knowledge on the product that you do. I was given a GPS locator for helping a friend with his car and never have even bothered to look at the model.

hehe ... thanks

ya, i never had much thought about a GPS before. But my dad and mom are older now and have started to travel and fish etc.

just trying to make their lives a bit easier because i sure didnt make it easy when i was growing up. :)

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Laz..........The GPS device should be able to be used in your hand, in the car, or in a boat...........It'll have to plug into a fish finder.

cool ... is the fish finder plug in a generic connection or do you have to have a special, compatible sonar device?

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Wolfenstien...........Do a google search on "GeoCache"...........Its a fairly new "fad" or hobby.........there is a website, people hide stuff, and give clues/coordinates.........People use GPS to locate the treasure, leave and item of thier own, take an item, fill out a log, maybe take a picture with a camera in it etc...........Its kind of like a treasure hunt with GPS.

So I could take people's stuff and leave poo in its place?

How cool, my mom used to throw fits when I did that to my brothers.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:41 PM
You should take some time now.

http://www.blonde-tiffany-teen.com/galleries/yellowtop/5.jpg
If that were in my dresser, I wouldn't be posting here for several reasons - including, but not limited to, overindulgence and severe injuries caused by my wife.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:46 PM
severe injuries caused by my wife.
She is not that physically intimidating. Does she pack a punch?

KC Kings
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM

A fish finder is a peice of equipment that gets mounted on a boat which bounces sonar of the bed of a lake or river and produces a digtal picture of whats between the transciever and the bed of the body of water from what the signal bounces back.

So instead of having to buy a fish finder and a GPS system its a 2 in 1 thing. The GPS portion is not neccessary unless your dad fishes on large lakes or the ocean. It's kinda tough to get lost on a river.

Outside of the Garmin advice I can only add that if he's going to be in dense forest to buy a GPS system with an antenna. Thick tree cover does block signals without an antenna. I know this first hand.

There is no monthly fee for the GPS. The system is a bunch of satalites that rotate around the earth and triangulate your position. The signal is there for free.

If your talking about car mounted models with mapping systems it's a different ball game. Don't know too much about them.

With all of the lakes in Missouri, and the large size of the lakes a GPS unit has come in very handy for my father. He has a $150 unit, and he takes it out on his pontoon at different lakes, and never has to worry about getting lost or straying too far away from fueling stations. He doesn't have a fish finder in his, but we are catch and release fishers unless it is crappie season, and as long as we know the grid cordinates of the beer cooler we don't care much about where the fish are.

My Dad also is all into geocaching. He takes the kids out just about every weekend and they have a blast. Somebody hides a weatherproof container full of "treasure" then leaves the cordinates on a website. You can search for them in your area and go find the cache. When you find it you take one item and leave one item. There are a lot of people out doing these treasure hunts, and there are hundreds in the KC area. I went out the first couple of times with them and it was fun, but the fun wore off quickly for me. Little kids and old people are more easily entertained and they still love it. My son has gotten treasures from arrowheads to silver dollars to McDonalds toys, and they keep a journal of all of their hunts.

Here is one of the neater ones in the KC area.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c4685dab-df0c-4da6-bbd1-0eac3ccc06da&log=y&decrypt=

Otter
11-30-2004, 12:48 PM

I doubt it only because 1 of those 3 would have to be the sonar portion of the fish finder, not very practical for a car. Also, the mapping systems are usually designed only for one of the following; avionics, marine or roads.

Somthing tells me your going to have to choose between a marine model where you can get the fish finder or a model designed for highway travel. Prolly not a 3 in 1.

But mine is a handheld that where only points can be programmed (no maps) so we're getting out of my experience.

Start here: http://www.garmin.com/

Good luck.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
She is not that physically intimidating. Does she pack a punch?
Dur!!! I also fall asleep before she does.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
I also fall asleep before she does.
Yes. I know.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Yes. I know.
LOL, good start paying some of the utilities.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 12:51 PM
LOL, good start paying some of the utilities.
Nah thats not my style.

I like the agreement we have now. Paying bills is not as romantic.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 12:52 PM
how does this GPS look ... good deal?
any missing important features?
too much?

======================
Garmin StreetPilot 2610 In-Car GPS Receiver with 128 MB CompactFlash Card
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AN4EG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

List Price: $1,299.99
Price: $693.34
You Save: $606.65 (47%)
Mail-In Rebates: $100.00
Price After Rebates: $593.34

Technical data

In the box:
StreetPilot, MapSource City Navigator v5 CD-ROM (full U.S. plus select Canadian coverage; unlock included), 128 MB CompactFlash memory card, integrated dash mount, portable bean bag mount (friction mount), external speaker with 12/24-volt adapter cable AC power adapter, PC/USB interface cable, alphanumeric remote control owner's manual, quick-reference guide, setup guide

Display:
Bright, automotive-grade 8-bit color LCD with automatic dimming backlight and touch screen: 3.3 x 1.7 inches; 305 x 160 pixels
Basemap: Built-in routable basemap (North America and South America) contains state and country boundaries, lakes, rivers, streams, airports, cities, towns, coastlines, state and interstate highways, local thoroughfares and secondary roads within metro areas, federal interstate highway exit information for services such as food, lodging and truck, RV and automotive service stations

CD-ROM:
Accepts downloadable map detail from Garmin PC-based MapSource City Navigator CD-ROM (included), which provides street-level detail, addresses, listings of nearest restaurants, hotels, ATMs and more--requires CompactFlash card; 128 MB CF card included (must have downloaded MapSource data to find points of interest and addresses)
Map scale: Screen-width scale 900 feet to 6,100 miles

Routes:

Automatically calculated with turn-by-turn instructions; up to 50 stored; using built-in basemap, routes include interstates, highways, and major thoroughfares; with detailed data from CD-ROM, routes include residential street-level detail within metropolitan areas

Voice: Navigation instructions and warnings

Way points: 500 with name and graphic symbol

Track log: 2000 track log points

Trip computer: Resettable odometer, timers, average and maximum speeds

GPS receiver: 12 parallel-channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position
Acquisition times: Warm: approximately 15 seconds; cold: approximately 45 seconds; AutoLocate: approximately 2 minutes
Update rate: 1/second, continuous

GPS accuracy: Position: 15 meters (49 feet), 95 percent typical (subject to accuracy degradation to 100m 2DRMS under the U.S. Department of Defense imposed Selective Availability Program);

velocity: 0.05 meter/sec steady state
Dynamics: 6 g's
Interfaces: USB 1.1 device
Antenna: Built-in patch; MCX-type connector for optional external GPS antenna connection
Power: Input: 12/24v DC; usage: 6w max. @ 13.8v DC
Map storage: CompactFlash (CF) memory cards; type I and II compatible
Data storage: Indefinite; no memory battery required
Temperature range: 5 F to 158 F (-15 C to 70 C)
Item length: 2.0 inches
Item width: 5.6 inches
Item height: 3.2 inches
Item weight: .93 pounds
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor

Iowanian
11-30-2004, 02:05 PM
http://www.geocaching.com/

check this site out LAZ
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=3159

HOW GPS WORKS ET AL
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=7860

Ultra Peanut
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I am a Garmin dealer, and I agree that Garmin is the best way to go. A LIKELY STORY!