PDA

View Full Version : OMG ... a gm actually taking responsibility!!

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 01:18 PM
49ers' G.M. says he deserves blame

By Daniel Brown
Mercury News

In his most public soul-searching to date, 49ers General Manager Terry Donahue on Monday said he deserves his share of blame for the team's 1-10 season and openly questioned some of his most important personnel moves.

Speaking on his weekly KNBR radio show, Donahue said the organization must take a hard look at why first-round draft picks such as left tackle Kwame Harris and receiver Rashaun Woods have failed to pan out, and why the big contract given to running back Kevan Barlow has yet to pay off.

Looking at the team's dismal record, Donahue said that ``everybody in the building is at fault'' -- including himself.

``If you're going to stand up and take the accolades when you're winning, you've got to stand up and take the criticism when you're not,'' said Donahue, who received a four-year contract extension in September. ``Certainly I'm involved in it up to my neck. I don't shirk that responsibility. I'm the general manager of the team and this is a very, very disturbing circumstance.''

His comments came a day after a 24-17 home loss to a terrible Miami Dolphins team, a defeat that paves the way for one of the worst finishes in NFL history. Only seven teams have finished 1-15 since the league adopted a 16-game schedule in 1978.

Donahue conceded being troubled by the 49ers' lack of first-round success in the draft. He called standout linebacker Julian Peterson, the No. 16 overall choice in 2000, the team's best pick of the past five years.

Other selections look like misfires, although Donahue pointed out that late-round gems such as tight end Eric Johnson and receiver Cedrick Wilson help ease the problem.

Still, he acknowledged being mystified by the poor play of his past two first-round picks.

``Kwame Harris last year looked like a promising player,'' he said. ``This year, he's really struggling and you have to ask yourself why, what happened? Why is this particular athlete not getting it done?

``Why isn't Rashaun Woods getting it done? He's healthy. He's either getting it done or he's not. And right now he's not.''

Woods, the No. 31 selection last April, has three catches for 67 yards, a total that lags behind other receivers in his draft class. Coach Dennis Erickson has given Woods more playing time in recent weeks but to no avail. Woods dropped the only pass thrown to him against the Dolphins.

Donahue also acknowledged his concern about Barlow, who received a five-year, $20 million contract extension last off-season. The 49ers also cut veteran running back Garrison Hearst to pave the way for Barlow as the undisputed No. 1 back.

But Barlow has disappointed, averaging only 3.2 yards per carry and rushing for more than 80 yards in only one game. Part of the problem is a slumping offensive line. But Donahue noted that Barlow has surrendered much of his playing time to undrafted and unheralded free agent Maurice Hicks.

Hicks averages 4.6 yards per carry, and steals a few more carries from Barlow each week.

After invoking the names of Harris and Barlow, Donahue said, ``We've got to find out why and what happened. If that means we invested in the wrong player, we've got to stand up and say we invested in the wrong player.''

Donahue backed off one of his familiar refrains by refusing to blame the team's problems directly on the salary cap. The 49ers entered this season with $29 million in dead money because of an off-season purge of high-priced veterans.

Donahue said that the cap problems are only partially to blame.

``Of course it's related to the cap, but it's also related to a bad personnel decision we made, a bad call we made in the game, a bad play a player made in the game,'' Donahue said. ``It's all of that.''

Jenny Gump
11-30-2004, 01:20 PM
I didn't know the 49ers were still a team.

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Of all the things that CP has done wrong one of them is not dodging responsiblity. CP come out and taken responsibility for this team this year.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 01:21 PM
I know it's fun to be an armchair GM...here's a gem for those of us who were on the bandwagon:

and receiver Rashaun Woods have failed to pan out

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
and receiver Rashaun Woods have failed to pan out
and i knew this would be the main point of interest to you

Chiefnj
11-30-2004, 01:23 PM
I admit I wanted Woods. But, it's not like the Chiefs have gotten much more value out of their 1st round pick yet.

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
And he isn't really the problem York is. Watch them get the first pick in the draft and trade down cause York doesn't want to pay anyone. They even payroll deducted .37 cents from one of the players for sending a letter from work. The 69ers are quite simply the worst team in the NFL to play for now.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I admit I wanted Woods. But, it's not like the Chiefs have gotten much more value out of their 1st round pick yet.

Well, considering Siavii is our 1st-round pick, I'd call it a wash at worst.

Junior has two more tackles than Woods has receptions, and he's played in half as many games.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 01:26 PM

Why?

Did you conveniently forget that I ADVOCATED DRAFTING WOODS?

Chiefnj
11-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Well, considering Siavii is our 1st-round pick, I'd call it a wash at worst.

Junior has two more tackles than Woods has receptions, and he's played in half as many games.

It's not all Woods' fault. Woods can't throw it and drop it too.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
It's not all Woods' fault. Woods can't throw it and drop it too.

ROFL

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Why?

Did you conveniently forget that I ADVOCATED DRAFTING WOODS?

actually i dont take notes... so who you "advocated" is not in my database. :)

besides that wasn't my point ... i was just giving you grief because of your "contrarian" tendencies.

if the board screams... "this sucks"

you say ... "its not so bad"

if the board screams .. "this rocks"

you say ... "its not that great"

i posting the article about a GM saying "I'm responsible"

you say "look at the fine print"

hehe ... just teasing a bit, no big deal :p :p

BigChiefFan
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Rashaun Woods struggling wouldn't have anything to do with not starting a game would it? How about having a shitty QB throwing him the ball? Or playing for a team, that has become cheap in recent years? He's also a rookie, writing off Woods at this point is premature at best.

shaneo69
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
What's sad is, Woods' three catches this year make him more productive than any of our first four picks.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
He has taken the blame, now lets see if he does something about it.

Demonpenz
11-30-2004, 01:46 PM
He has taken the blame, now lets see if he does something about it.

I bet he takes the responsibility he gives back his paycheck this week for not doing his job

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
He has taken the blame.

when?

|Zach|
11-30-2004, 01:51 PM
when?
I could grab it if the search function was going...I know I have read it before...

BigChiefFan
11-30-2004, 01:55 PM
when?
I've seen the quote in somebodies signature where Peterson said something about the buck stopping with him, but that's it. He's been hiding under a rock in recent weeks, though. Carl just gave more lip service as usual.

tk13
11-30-2004, 02:06 PM
TribalWarfare has the quote in his sig, go look him up... without a search function I'm not spending hours hunting for it, but I posted the article. Back when we were 0-3 or 1-4 Carl told one of the Star reporters in an article regarding his thinking this offseason and said at the end of the article that the buck stopped with him and if this season goes down in flames it's basically 100% his fault....

Demonpenz
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
I wish Baird would take some blame for the royals being shitty

shaneo69
11-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Here's what I'd like to read from Carl....

Q: Carl, what has gone wrong this season?

CP: Well frankly, there's about three things that have killed us this season. First, some of our young players haven't played up to their potential; second, we've suffered some key injuries; and third, we simply did a poor job of evaluating our own free agents last offseason. We thought Gunther's scheme would be more conducive to their development, but it hasn't happened. And that falls squarely on my shoulders.

Q: Is there any one move that you would do over if you could?

CP: Frankly, there's about a dozen decisions that I'd like to have over again. Drafting Eric Downing and Snoop Minnis with our first two picks in 2001. Trading up for Ryan Sims in 2002 and then drafting Eddie Freeman in the 2nd round that year. Wasting our top three picks in 2003 on Larry Johnson, Kawika Mitchell, and Julian Battle. And finally, trading out of the 1st round in 2004 and then taking Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson in the 2nd round. All bad moves on my part. But I would like to say one thing to Chiefs fans out there who have supported us for these past 16 years. If we don't win a Super Bowl in '05, I will gladly step down and let Lamar Hunt pick someone else to lead this franchise.

Brock
11-30-2004, 02:26 PM
take a hard look at why first-round draft picks such as left tackle Kwame Harris and receiver Rashaun Woods have failed to pan out

good thing the search function doesn't work.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Don't you guys remember "The buck stops here" quote. I am not defending him at all, i just want to see something done, i am not a huge fan of carl either. Well TK remembers.

Still it is hollow at this point.

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 02:34 PM

CP: Well frankly, there's about three things that have killed us this season. First, some of our young players haven't played up to their potential; second, we've suffered some key injuries; and third, we simply did a poor job of evaluating our own free agents last offseason. We thought Gunther's scheme would be more conducive to their development, but it hasn't happened. And that falls squarely on my shoulders.

CP: Frankly, there's about a dozen decisions that I'd like to have over again. Drafting Eric Downing and Snoop Minnis with our first two picks in 2001. Trading up for Ryan Sims in 2002 and then drafting Eddie Freeman in the 2nd round that year. Wasting our top three picks in 2003 on Larry Johnson, Kawika Mitchell, and Julian Battle. And finally, trading out of the 1st round in 2004 and then taking Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson in the 2nd round. All bad moves on my part. But I would like to say one thing to Chiefs fans out there who have supported us for these past 16 years. If we don't win a Super Bowl in '05, I will gladly step down and let Lamar Hunt pick someone else to lead this franchise.

thanks ... good to here him say so

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
thanks ... good to here him say so
That is what he would LIKE to hear from Carl.

Eleazar
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
OMG!!! Liek OMG!!!

Mr. Laz
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
That is what he would LIKE to hear from Carl.
dam :eek:

missed that part

that's what i want to hear as well ... followed by "we are going to have to make these changes to prevent reoccurance..... "

donkhater
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Like someone said in an earlier thread similar to this:

Big deal.

Accepting responsibility knowing that there aren't any consequences is no big feat.

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Like someone said in an earlier thread similar to this:

Big deal.

Accepting responsibility knowing that there aren't any consequences is no big feat.

York is getting tons of heat here from the fans, media and even some anonymous owners have come out talking smack about him. He is simply trying to take some of that pressure off York but it won't work.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Was Donahue the cheapskate in Pitt? If so, it is no small wonder.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 02:58 PM
if the board screams... "this sucks"

you say ... "its not so bad"

if the board screams .. "this rocks"

you say ... "its not that great"

You've FINALLY figured me out. Does this mean you're going to stop calling me a "homer" now. :thumb:

Logical
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM

I would personally applaud him if he would step up and admit all that. Chances of this happening are so remote chances are Halle Berry will marry me before this happens.

Rausch
11-30-2004, 04:38 PM

Oh, my turn! MY TURN!

If you search the last two pages, and look reeeeeeeeeealy close, you'll see Peterson's comments where he takes the blame if resigning all our defensive free agents wasn't the right course of action.

I know, I know, it doesn't provide lubrication for the fire-Peterson-circle-jerk, but I figured it was worth noting...

grandllama
11-30-2004, 04:51 PM
I wish Baird would take some blame for the royals being shitty

Only 125 more days until another futile KC season...