PDA

View Full Version : XM or SIRIUS

kc1977
12-02-2004, 07:50 AM
I've got a long commute to work, and I'm thinking I'm going to get satellite radio. Anyone else have it? Anyone have any thoughts on whether to go XM or Sirius?

Thanks.

Baby Lee
12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Sirius will get Howard in a year.

BL - now officially out of information on satellite radio.

jAZ
12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Sirius... no question.

They have the NFL package, they will have Howard Stern, and they also have an all NFL talk radio channel.

Plus they have Air America radio.

If you are going with satalite radio, go with Sirius.

And if you are doing it in the car only, then get the in-dash compatible tuner rather than the plug/play. I thought that plug/play device was ugly and cumbersome.

kc1977
12-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Sirius... no question.

They have the NFL package, they will have Howard Stern, and they also have an all NFL talk radio channel.

Plus they have Air America radio.

If you are going with satalite radio, go with Sirius.

And if you are doing it in the car only, then get the in-dash compatible tuner rather than the plug/play. I thought that plug/play device was ugly and cumbersome.

From what I've seen, I really favor Sirius. However, I have DirecTV and the NFL package, so the NFL thing isn't that big. I've wanted to get rid of the MLB package for a year or so now, and getting XM would go a long way in letting myself do that. But again, I really think Sirius is better. And true, I'm sure Airhead America would provide some needed humor after a frustrating day at work.

Is the plug and play thing that bad? I'm getting a different car in about 6 months, so I don't want to install anything in this one. Plus, I wouldn't mind being able to switch cars if we go on a long trip or something, I could use it in the wife's car.

jAZ
12-02-2004, 08:13 AM
From what I've seen, I really favor Sirius. However, I have DirecTV and the NFL package, so the NFL thing isn't that big. I've wanted to get rid of the MLB package for a year or so now, and getting XM would go a long way in letting myself do that. But again, I really think Sirius is better. And true, I'm sure Airhead America would provide some needed humor after a frustrating day at work.

Is the plug and play thing that bad? I'm getting a different car in about 6 months, so I don't want to install anything in this one. Plus, I wouldn't mind being able to switch cars if we go on a long trip or something, I could use it in the wife's car.
That's certainly true... I just always thought it was ugly and in the way. But portability is definately useful.

John_Wayne
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Go for XM. I was bummed that Sirus got the NFL deal, but XM is still better, IMHO. Who cares about Air America and Howard Stern? :Lin:

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-02-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm getting Sirius for free tomorrow from a client who loves me.

:D

PBJ

jspchief
12-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Isn't this kind of like me asking you what my favorite food should be?

It's personal preference. For every person in here that thinks XM has better programming, there will be someone else that likes Sirius.

Get a list of programming for both companies, then go down the lists and mark priorites. Does having Sirius' NFL games rank higher than XM's ESPN Radio? Figure out what your most desirable channels and which of them you're willing to live without. You'll be able to find comparable music on either site, so I'd say that the one factor that doesn't matter.

cadmonkey
12-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Sirius is the way to go......NFL Channel, Stern, and what ever else it has, just do it. It's 50/50 now, so just go with Sirius.

kc1977
12-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Sirius is the way to go......NFL Channel, Stern, and what ever else it has, just do it. It's 50/50 now, so just go with Sirius.

From looking at the two, at this point, they are about equal. But from what I've seen, I expect Sirius to be the better long term option.

jAZ
12-02-2004, 12:52 PM
From looking at the two, at this point, they are about equal. But from what I've seen, I expect Sirius to be the better long term option.
If they are equal to you, then make sure to consider that Sirius is about $3/month more expensive, IIRC.

cadmonkey
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
If they are equal to you, then make sure to consider that Sirius is about $3/month more expensive, IIRC.

I can find $3 on the ground per month. That shouldn't be a factor.