PDA

View Full Version : A symphony instrument poll.

Rain Man
12-02-2004, 03:15 PM
If you could be in a symphonic orchestra, what instrument would you most want to play?

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:25 PM
WTF???? No love for REAL music????

You cretins! Rep to Rain Man for being the first person besides me to post something about great music

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh, and I already play violin in the Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra, so I'll go with violin.

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I hope there's no guys on here that want to play the flute.

ChiTown
12-02-2004, 10:28 PM
I'd like to be the guy that play's the instrument which beats the crap outta the guy that starts so many worthless polls.........

sorry

Phobia
12-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Oh, and I already play violin in the Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra, so I'll go with violin.

Holy crap. Grand Forks has a symphony? Do you leave your instrument cases open on the sidewalk?

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Holy crap. Grand Forks has a symphony? Do you leave your instrument cases open on the sidewalk?Yes, you're right, it's not much. But we do sell a lot of tickets and it's an organization with a lot of money. And our concertmaster is pretty damn talented, too. Of course, his main job is teaching at UND, so that still doesn't say much.

We've had some good concerts, though. This fall we played Mendelssohn's 3rd and brought in a fantastic pianist named Sarah Davis Buechner to do the Schumann piano concerto.

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes, you're right, it's not much. But we do sell a lot of tickets and it's an organization with a lot of money. And our concertmaster is pretty damn talented, too. Of course, his main job is teaching at UND, so that still doesn't say much.

We've had some good concerts, though. This fall we played Mendelssohn's 3rd and brought in a fantastic pianist named Sarah Davis Buechner to do the Schumann piano concerto.

Classical concerts are great. Anyone who hasn't been to them need to be enlightened.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 10:37 PM
I kid. Check rep.

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:38 PM
I kid. Check rep.Holy crap, I've received 7 positive reps within the past two days!

Oh, and thanks.

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 10:44 PM
SNR has talent. I would have never guessed.

I voted piano. I took piano lessons when I was a kid but hated it and made my parents stop forcing them on me. I wish I had never done that...piano players get all the babes.

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Classical concerts are great. Anyone who hasn't been to them need to be enlightened.

I went to the Lord of the Rings symphony this past summer. It was fantastic. And a hot babe was sitting next to me too.

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:47 PM
SNR has talent. I would have never guessed.

I voted piano. I took piano lessons when I was a kid but hated it and made my parents stop forcing them on me. I wish I had never done that...piano players get all the babes.It's true. We do get all the babes.

Sadly, we also get all the guys. Some guy once asked me out after I had played in a recital.

(And before you bastards make jokes, I said no)

Skip Towne
12-02-2004, 10:50 PM
You actually have a symphony in SD? I wasn't aware you had enough people to form one. There are only 8 people in SD.

Logical
12-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Yes, you're right, it's not much. But we do sell a lot of tickets and it's an organization with a lot of money. And our concertmaster is pretty damn talented, too. Of course, his main job is teaching at UND, so that still doesn't say much.

How many people read the second paragraph as:

We've had some Blah, bla, blah, blah, and blahba concerto

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:53 PM
You actually have a symphony in SD? I wasn't aware you had enough people to form one. There are only 8 people in SD.Yeah, that's why I live in NORTH Dakota

SNR THE MOCKED

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 10:54 PM

We've had some Blah, bla, blah, blah, and blahba concerto

LOL VLAD

SNR
12-02-2004, 10:56 PM

We've had some Blah, bla, blah, blah, and blahba concertoHow many read Vlad's post as:

DUHR! I DUN R ALL TEH DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!11111

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 10:56 PM
I went to the Lord of the Rings symphony this past summer. It was fantastic. And a hot babe was sitting next to me too.

Women also liked to go to musical plays. Those are cool too. Most of them, "Cats" is awful. Yeah, you can act all cultured and everything, wear nice clothes, go to dinner. Its a good time.

Logical
12-02-2004, 11:00 PM
How many read Vlad's post as:

DUHR! I DUN R ALL TEH DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!11111I cannot help that you specialize in one of the most boring fields of music known to man. My god man it is more degrading than Country and Western. Yeehaw, narc on anyone lately.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Women also liked to go to musical plays. Those are cool too. Most of them, "Cats" is awful. Yeah, you can act all cultured and everything, wear nice clothes, go to dinner. Its a good time.

I thought Cats was pretty cool. Course, I watched it with a really, really hot babe who had her hand in my pants....

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:03 PM
I voted piano. I took piano lessons when I was a kid but hated it and made my parents stop forcing them on me. I wish I had never done that...piano players get all the babes.

I'm a little embarrassed to claim we have more in common that I'd like to admit....

Opressive religion growing up.
Quit piano lessons.
Kick ass photo shop skillz.
Love the Chiefs.

That is ALL, though. Don't even TRY to find more.

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to claim we have more in common that I'd like to admit....

Opressive religion growing up.
Quit piano lessons.
Kick ass photo shop skillz.
Love the Chiefs.

That is ALL, though. Don't even TRY to find more.

Redheads > Brunettes > Blondes. You?

BTW, what was your religion? Catholicism?

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I thought Cats was pretty cool. Course, I watched it with a really, really hot babe who had her hand in my pants....

About anythings a good time with that happening.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Redheads > Brunettes > Blondes. You?

BTW, what was your religion? Catholicism?

We don't really have that in common, dude. You like to look. I like to do.

I grew up with these freaks: http://www.upci.org/ You don't know how good you have it.

go bowe
12-02-2004, 11:13 PM

I grew up with these freaks: http://www.upci.org/ You don't know how good you have it.well, at least they aren't jehovah's witnesses...

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
I grew up with these freaks: http://www.upci.org/ You don't know how good you have it.

Ok Phobia, i officially feel sorry for you.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
well, at least they aren't jehovah's witnesses...

Yeah, they're pretty bad. But UPC is pretty rough, too. At least we had holidays. Couldn't do shit else, though. Most of the time we spent holidays at church.

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 11:16 PM

Yeah I guess.

I can't comment on the religion.

Check out http://www.watchtower.org if you want. You can search for magazine articles by keyword. This (http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2003/7/22/article_03.htm) is pretty funny.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Ok Phobia, i officially feel sorry for you.

You know the bunch? They're the women with the buns on their head and dresses you see at the mall. I felt more sorry for the girls.

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, i have my own story with a religion i got involved in. Real long story. I really don't like to mention it, so i leave it be.

Douche Baggins
12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately, i have my own story with a religion i got involved in. Real long story. I really don't like to mention it, so i leave it be.

C'mon, don't tease us and not deliver.

Phobia
12-02-2004, 11:22 PM

Fair enough. Most people don't like to talk about their Amway experiences.

digi2fish
12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
this is much easier than the rock band one
I love trombone

Fairplay
12-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Fair enough. Most people don't like to talk about their Amway experiences.

Lol, my brother got into that, it was called something else though, they changed their name. Anyway my brother tells me to come over he has this great product line to get into. So i go over wondering what he's talking about. He was only a couple minutes into his long drawn out sales pitch that i ask him "Steve, is this Amway" He says, "well yes, but its different." I told him i would listen politely to his sales pitch but im not joining. I let him go on for about a 45 minute speech, which was pretty good, BTW. At the end hes like, "well do you want to join?"

I said no, but i would buy a few of the products that i seen in the brochure, my brother got all worked up that i wasn't joining and how im missing out on a opportunity and all that, I tried to excuse myself to get the hell out of there, he basically let me go with a,"I'll be at the top while your out in the working world" type BS.

Wierdo, i thought. He gave the same speech to the rest of my brothers, sisters and embarresingly, my in-laws too. No one bit, surprised?

He dropped it too after a few months of failure. No one brought up that subject again.

Rausch
12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Cello...

SNR
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
I cannot help that you specialize in one of the most boring fields of music known to man. My god man it is more degrading than Country and Western. Yeehaw, narc on anyone lately.Yet you disregard the fact that there would be no rock without Bach. Or jazz or R&B or ska or whatever the hell you listen to.

Music is the one thing that clearly shows how advanced humans are. The amount of brainpower it takes to hear a melody, play it on an instrument (more difficult than anything to produce good tone, especially on a violin or a wind instrument) and to add dynamic and intensity contrasts while still conveying a certain mood or idea to the piece is one of the most difficult things the human brain can perform. Why do you think in general kids who study piano/any sort of instrument at a young age tend to do better in school and are great at skillls like critical thinking?

Nothing establishes this moreso than classical music. While you describe it as "boring," there is so much substance to it, even something as simple as a Mozart minuet. Not only is classical music the height of the human mind in playing it, but also in listening to it. Deep, rich, melodies in polyphonic music. Counterpoint. Enormous amounts of emotion.

I love rock. I listen to it a lot. But only when I'm in a brain-dead mood. For me, classical music is so much finer than rock music. Classical music enters in your thoughts and feelings so much deeper than anything else can. Rock doesn't provide that for me. And I refuse to listen to shitty bands who play the same chord progression over and over and over with a shitty singer screeching out lyrics that make no sense.

I can ramble all day, but I will never change your stance on classical music. So in conclusion, I listen to classical music because listening to it involves so much more than just my ears and my brain's decision if a part sounds cool or not. Classical music listeners also have a certain intelligence and way of thinking to them that people who call it "boring" simply do not have. And that's fact.

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Yet you disregard the fact that there would be no rock without Bach. Or jazz or R&B or ska or whatever the hell you listen to.

Music is the one thing that clearly shows how advanced humans are. The amount of brainpower it takes to hear a melody, play it on an instrument (more difficult than anything to produce good tone, especially on a violin or a wind instrument) and to add dynamic and intensity contrasts while still conveying a certain mood or idea to the piece is one of the most difficult things the human brain can perform. Why do you think in general kids who study piano/any sort of instrument at a young age tend to do better in school and are great at skillls like critical thinking?

Nothing establishes this moreso than classical music. While you describe it as "boring," there is so much substance to it, even something as simple as a Mozart minuet. Not only is classical music the height of the human mind in playing it, but also in listening to it. Deep, rich, melodies in polyphonic music. Counterpoint. Enormous amounts of emotion.

I love rock. I listen to it a lot. But only when I'm in a brain-dead mood. For me, classical music is so much finer than rock music. Classical music enters in your thoughts and feelings so much deeper than anything else can. Rock doesn't provide that for me. And I refuse to listen to shitty bands who play the same chord progression over and over and over with a shitty singer screeching out lyrics that make no sense.

I can ramble all day, but I will never change your stance on classical music. So in conclusion, I listen to classical music because listening to it involves so much more than just my ears and my brain's decision if a part sounds cool or not. Classical music listeners also have a certain intelligence and way of thinking to them that people who call it "boring" simply do not have. And that's fact.

I agree...I love classical music and instrumental soundtracks. They make up the majority of my music collection.

Rep!

Pants
12-03-2004, 12:08 AM
I agree...I love classical music and instrumental soundtracks. They make up the majority of my music collection.

Rep!

We already know you are gay.

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:09 AM

I like Rock (from a variety of eras) too. And 80's.

I like almost anything that's not Country, Rap or modern teeny-bopper shite.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:11 AM

If you plan to bash everyone who likes classical music (Bethoven here) you're in for a ****ing tsunami of neg rep my friend...

Pants
12-03-2004, 12:11 AM
I like Rock (from a variety of eras) too. And 80's.

I like almost anything that's not Country, Rap or modern teeny-bopper shite.

Dude, I was kidding, no need to justify yourself. I too sometimes like to listen to classical music. Although, I don't own any.

Pants
12-03-2004, 12:12 AM
If you plan to bash everyone who likes classical music (Bethoven here) you're in for a ****ing tsunami of neg rep my friend...

****in a, read my post which I wrote at the SAME TIME you wrote this. Dammit Carl!

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Dude, I was kidding, no need to justify yourself. I too sometimes like to listen to classical music. Although, I don't own any.

I don't really own any either. I've downloaded most of it apart from a 4-CD set I bought at Target about 10 years ago.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:14 AM
I don't really own any either. I've downloaded most of it apart from a 4-CD set I bought at Target about 10 years ago.

I could recomend you some. Great Bethoven out there. And what's sweet is there are about 200 techno remixes of his stuff as well. Very enjoyable... :)

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:16 AM
I could recomend you some. Great Bethoven out there. And what's sweet is there are about 200 techno remixes of his stuff as well. Very enjoyable... :)

I have all I need, thanks. I would like to find some good Chamber Music, though.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:20 AM
I have all I need, thanks. I would like to find some good Chamber Music, though.

I've been checking out some Gregorian Chant myself, to help me sleep...

But it's had some undesirable side effects... :shake:

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Oh and the Fur Elise (Techno Version) is really cool. Great twist on the music....love it....

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:22 AM
I've been checking out some Gregorian Chant myself, to help me sleep...

But it's had some undesirable side effects... :shake:

WTF? ROFL

Anyway the type of music I'm looking for is something like "Menuet Badinerie," by Bach.

I recently got two albums of some stuff done by a conductor named "Andre Rieu" from my cousin as well....it's all live and it sounds great. I downloaded Holsts' Planet's symphony the other day too.

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Ooh, the other thing you might want to check out is a little collection called "Hooked on Classics." Generally a don't like techno remixes, but this is actually done quite well. It doesn't sound like they play it in nightclubs either. :Lin:

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Ooh, the other thing you might want to check out is a little collection called "Hooked on Classics." Generally a don't like techno remixes, but this is actually done quite well. It doesn't sound like they play it in nightclubs either. :puke:

That's what I'm talking about. The stuff I have is more Pink Floyd meets Bethoven over an 8ball....

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Mettalica had a CD out a few years ago with a symphony orchestra. Its sounded pretty cool. I liked it anyway.

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
That's what I'm talking about. The stuff I have is more Pink Floyd meets Bethoven over an 8ball....

Sounds good. :thumb:

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Mettalica had a CD out a few years ago with a symphony orchestra. Its sounded pretty cool. I liked it anyway.

That stuff is AWESOME. I have a version of "Gorky Park" by the scorpions where they are backed up by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

What's the name of that CD?

Logical
12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Yet you disregard the fact that there would be no rock without Bach. Or jazz or R&B or ska or whatever the hell you listen to.

LOL I cannot believe you took me so seriously. Classical music is boring to talk about and I stand with my statement that only C&W is worse. I actually enjoy listening to some and own about a half dozen classical CDs that I rotate in and out of my CD changer for a change of pace. I was just ragging on you for your choice to call me a dumbass.

However, it makes me feel kind of amused that I can cause such a defensive response.:thumb:

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:40 AM
That stuff is AWESOME. I have a version of "Gorky Park" by the scorpions where they are backed up by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

What's the name of that CD?

I have that CD also pal.

Heres info on the Metallica.

Metallica
S & M - Symphony & Metallica

|1. The ecstacy of gold|2. The call of the ktulu|3. Master of puppets|4. Of wolf and man|5. The thing that should not be|6. Fuel|7. The memory remains|8. No leaf clover|9. Hero of the day|10. Devil's dance|11. Bleeding me|12. Nothing else matters|13. Until it sleeps|14. For whom the bell tolls|15. Human|16. Wherever I may roam|17. Outlaw torn|18. Sad but true|19. One|20. Enter Sandman|21. Battery |

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Sounds good. :thumb:

You might like Carmina Burana O Fortuna (DJ Stinkfinger Remix) as well. Just do an imesh/limewire/napster/aquistition or whatever search for it. It'll come up...

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:43 AM
LOL I cannot believe you took me so seriously. Classical music is boring to talk about and I stand with my statement that only C&W is worse. I actually enjoy listening to some and own about a half dozen classical CDs that I rotate in and out of my CD changer for a change of pace. I was just ragging on you for your choice to call me a dumbass.

However, it makes me feel kind of amused that I can cause such a defensive response.:thumb:

C&W does suck. I listened to a country and western station all the time to listen to their morning show, its was real funny. So i listened to the music as well, to show i gave C&W a fair chance for inticeing my musical taste for it. It didn't change one i bit, none, nada, no way.

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:45 AM
You might like Carmina Burana O Fortuna (DJ Stinkfinger Remix) as well. Just do an imesh/limewire/napster/aquistition or whatever search for it. It'll come up...

I will head your words oh great one, i mean Rausch, er Brad and check it out. Anything you advise has got to be good.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Anything you advise has got to be good.

There's a philosophy doomed to fail...

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Im listening to it as i type.

http://www.anthea2.freeuk.com/carminaburana/

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Im listening to it as i type.

http://www.anthea2.freeuk.com/carminaburana/

It's VERY similar to that, only less ghey...

Edit: don't do a google you fem-napkin, search for it on a file sharing network....

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 12:57 AM

The way it came off was you thought listening to Classical music was boring and stupid.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 12:59 AM
The way it came off was you thought listening to Classical music was boring and stupid.

I'll 2nd that....

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I listened to 3 of the zip files, they sorta of all sounded the same, lots of organ music. (no jokes on that please.)

Logical
12-03-2004, 01:01 AM

Not sure how you and Brad got stupid out of that post, but whatever.:shrug:

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
I cannot help that you specialize in one of the most boring fields of music known to man. My god man it is more degrading than Country and Western.

Pretty easy.

Fairplay
12-03-2004, 01:03 AM

I don't take some of what you say seriously. I know some of it is just to get people riled up.

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 01:04 AM
I don't take some of what you say seriously. I know some of it is just to get people riled up.

Actually I have never gotten that impression out of Vlad.

Rausch
12-03-2004, 01:05 AM
LOL I cannot believe you took me so seriously. Classical music is boring to talk about and I stand with my statement that only C&W is worse.

Compairng anything to C&W is like saying your perfume smells like a urinal cake...

Logical
12-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Pretty easy.I only see two issues brought up in that post boring and his self respect. No stupidity issue.

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Compairng anything to C&W is like saying your perfume smells like a urinal cake...
And TASTES like a urinal cake.

Wait...

Shit.

Where is the edit button.

Logical
12-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Compairng anything to C&W is like saying your perfume smells like a urinal cake... Well at least our opinion on C&W is similar.:D

Douche Baggins
And TASTES like a urinal cake.

Wait...

Shit.

Where is the edit button.

When it comes to urinals, cakes are the least of my worries.

Fairplay
I only see two issues brought up in that post boring and his self respect. No stupidity issue.

ROFL

Logical
12-03-2004, 01:17 AM
ROFL

You get it, you have me pegged.

Douche Baggins
12-03-2004, 01:18 AM
I just found a torrent with the London Symphony Orchestra and Queen playing together....

SNR
12-03-2004, 05:49 AM

However, it makes me feel kind of amused that I can cause such a defensive response.:thumb:Whatever. For the record, I was joking about the dumbass part too.

And I have no choice but to be defensive when talking with someone so offensive as yourself :p

patteeu
12-03-2004, 07:51 AM

Apparently, while Classical music is boosting it's listeners' brainpower beyond the comprehension of those who don't listen to it, it's also dulling it's listeners' sense of humor and making them defensive.

KC Kings
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
This thread is worthless without a seperate catagory for the Cow Bell. You can not just throw an instrument as important as the cow bell in with auxillary percussion.

Since this thread talks about Symphonies and Religion, next week my Church on 435 and Holmes is doing a Christmas show with a 35 piece orcehstra. Starts at 10, last about 1 1/2 hours, it doesn't cost anything, and there will be no preaching.