PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Just Told Me Someone Was Taking Pictures Of Our House

The Rick
12-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Just got a strange phone call from my wife...

We just bought a house and moved into it a few weeks ago. Anyway, my wife just called and said that someone stopped their vehicle in front of our house, sat inside, and started taking pictures of our house. When she looked out the window to see what was going on, the person drove off.

She said the car wasn't exactly a junker, but it wasn't exactly nice/new either. The guy seemed average...not too dirty, but not overly sharp looking.

I can't imagine why on earth someone would be taking pictures of our house. It's not like it's unique or some historical landmark or anything. It's just an average house in an average neighborhood. Is it possible that it was the insurance company or something? What do you guys think?

MOhillbilly
12-03-2004, 09:53 AM
BTK?

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 09:54 AM

We just bought a house and moved into it a few weeks ago. Anyway, my wife just called and said that someone stopped their vehicle in front of our house, sat inside, and started taking pictures of our house. When she looked out the window to see what was going on, the person drove off.

She said the car wasn't exactly a junker, but it wasn't exactly nice/new either. The guy seemed average...not too dirty, but not overly sharp looking.

I can't imagine why on earth someone would be taking pictures of our house. It's not like it's unique or some historical landmark or anything. It's just an average house in an average neighborhood. Is it possible that it was the insurance company or something? What do you guys think?

Happens a lot, actually.

Real Estate agents do this sort of thing.

Joe Seahawk
It was your insurance dude I'd bet.. Don't worry..

angel
My dad takes pictures of houses that he likes the style of. He's a construction worker, and sometimes he designs his own houses. He has tons of pictures of random houses to use for ideas.

Skip Towne
12-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Do you live in Wichita?

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Make sure there is not a carving of a red dragon in the tree in your backyard.

The Rick
12-03-2004, 10:01 AM
BTK?
He's a long way from home then. I'm in Milwaukee! Maybe he has some sort of connection to Dahmer? :hmmm:

Chief Henry
12-03-2004, 10:01 AM
It was your insurance dude I'd bet.. Don't worry..

Thats my guess too.

The Rick
12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Happens a lot, actually.

Real Estate agents do this sort of thing.
So it could just be some random real estate agent? Do get reports of recently sold homes?

ENDelt260
12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Tell your wife to quit housecleaning naked with the drapes open and this wouldn't happen anymore.

Or, pay $29.95 for your subscription to toplesshousewives.com to see some nice exterior shots of your home.

bringbackmarty
12-03-2004, 10:05 AM

could be getting cased. Here ikn New Orleans last sunday I had a guy smash in my car window and steal $1,000.00 worth of musical equipment sun between my matinee, and evening gigs. Crime is the real danger right now, not al queefa.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Tell your wife to quit housecleaning naked with the drapes open and this wouldn't happen anymore.

Or, pay $29.95 for your subscription to toplesshousewives.com to see some nice exterior shots of your home.
Shut up or we will take you off the password list of hidden homecams

Brock
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Most likely the appraiser. Get ready for a raise in your taxes.

memyselfI
12-03-2004, 10:07 AM

Cuz it's tax assessment time? If you live in JOCO, KS they are out canvassing for tax assessment so perhaps this is going on elsewhere in the country as well.

The Rick
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM

:hmmm:

Based upon the frequency (or lack thereof) of sex lately, if she truly is doing housework in the buff, maybe *I* should be outside taking pictures too. :huh:

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM

Based upon the frequency (or lack thereof) of sex lately, if she truly is doing housework in the buff, maybe *I* should be outside taking pictures too. :huh:
Tell her to dust the lower shelves more often. The subscription rates go through the roof when she does.

Gaz
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
DEA

Start flushing, man!

xoxo~
Gaz
Planet snitch.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
DEA

Start flushing, man!

xoxo~
Gaz
Planet snitch.

Great, he will misunderstand you and merely turn red.

The Rick
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Tell her to dust the lower shelves more often. The subscription rates go through the roof when she does.
:p

Calcountry
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
My bet is that he is a horn dog with a telephoto lens trying to get a peep of your wife. :p

Skip Towne
12-03-2004, 10:13 AM

Ya wanna buy some?

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:14 AM
So it could just be some random real estate agent? Do get reports of recently sold homes?

I had some guy taking a picture of my house, while I was outside cleaning the gutters 3 weeks ago. I was curious, so I walked over to him and asked him what he was doing. Dude got all nervous (I'm a relatively large guy) and he started to apologize. I told him to relax, but that I was just curious as to what he was doing. He told me he takes pictures of other houses that are in the same market as the ones he lists. He also asked if I wanted to put my house on the market.

The Rick
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Ya wanna buy some?
Aha! It was YOU, wasn't it! :$2500:

KCWolfman
Seriously, when I went home to Indiana a few years back (and visited the headsnap family as well), I took a bunch of photos of my old home and schools.

I don't think it is anything serious.

Sure-Oz
People have done that before to our house, usually has been pretty nice looking cars and women, probably real estate or insurance people like everyone has said. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Braincase
12-03-2004, 10:17 AM
May very well have been an appraiser as well. When they have to determine the value of a home, they look around for homes that have recently been bought/sold to use as a point of comparison. I wouldn't worry too much unless they were driving a black Mercedes, or a tricked out El Camino.

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I'll wager it was probably one of 3 things......the County Assessor(because the price you paid is different than the assessed value), an appraiser, or most likely an insurance adjuster.

....of Course.....it could be that your wife was riding the Sybian again with the window shade open..............

Count Zarth
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
You only saw me the one time? Man I was driving around and around. I couldn't get up the courage to go knock on the door so I just snapped a few pics and left.

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Most likely, it was an appraiser, as mentioned before. I haven't seen anyone mention another possibility, though, which is squatter scout.

Brando
12-03-2004, 10:28 AM
I work for a mortgage company. If your loan is delinquent we will order inspections monthly as long as you are delinquent. The inspector just goes out and take photos and verifies if the house looks vacant or occupied.
We also order inspections annually on every property to have them on file. The annual inspections are done in December. That might be all that it was.

bogie
12-03-2004, 10:29 AM
This happens often in my neighborhood. They're usually location scouts looking for homes to shoot commercials, TV shows, films etc. But I live in Los Angeles. Probably not much call for this in Milwaukee.

Bob Dole
12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
could be getting cased. Here ikn New Orleans last sunday I had a guy smash in my car window and steal $1,000.00 worth of musical equipment sun between my matinee, and evening gigs. Crime is the real danger right now, not al queefa.

That's pretty much a daily happening down there, isn't it?

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Relax man.............I caught the guy, beat him about the head with his camera and downloaded the picture of your house.....

Figured you'd want it back, so here it is.

ClearmontChief
12-03-2004, 11:00 AM
I think Braincase may have nailed it.

Real Estate companies do something called 'comparables'. It's part of the appraisal process. They're trying to sell another house in a similar market, and take pictures of recently sold houses in the area to establish value. Trying to get another person's house appraised at the value they're trying to get to.

KingPriest2
12-03-2004, 11:41 AM

This is what I was thinking. But it could be a reg appr as well. They might be using your house as a comp for the home they are purchasing.

Skip Towne
12-03-2004, 11:45 AM
This is what I was thinking. But it could be a reg appr as well. They might be using your house as a comp for the home they are purchasing.
Is this another one of your "wild assumptions"?

Predarat
12-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Relax it is not you they are after. They are only stalking your wife. Nothing to worry about. Actually my bet is a homeowners insurence agent.

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Does anyone else think that it could be a tornado route mapper?

Alton deFlat
12-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Could be Homeland Security.

KingPriest2
12-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Is this another one of your "wild assumptions"?

"wild assumptions"?

TheNextStep
12-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Tell your wife not to worry about it, Rick. I was long gone before the guy got there with his camera, so her stupid husband still doesn't know...

Otter
12-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Most likely, it was an appraiser, as mentioned before. I haven't seen anyone mention another possibility, though, which is squatter scout.

I hesitate to ask this because I fear it's going to lead to an invitation to a snipe hunt but...

What's a squatter scout?

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 12:26 PM
I thought it was the little dribble on the end of your noodle right before you Plow into beaver mountain, when you're extra worked up.

ILChief
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
that happened to us right after we moved in our house. My wife called the cops and they said it was probably an appraiser. That was over 2 years ago.

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I hesitate to ask this because I fear it's going to lead to an invitation to a snipe hunt but...

What's a squatter scout?

It's a person who is knowledgeable in real estate who is retained by hoboes to identify good locales for squatter shacks. It's one of the fastest-growing job categories in America.

Otter
12-03-2004, 12:53 PM
It's a person who is knowledgeable in real estate who is retained by hoboes to identify good locales for squatter shacks. It's one of the fastest-growing job categories in America.

I brought this upon myself.

TheNextStep
12-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but the pay is horrible. Two mismatched gloves, a week old newspaper, and 7 empty soda cans?

yunghungwell
12-03-2004, 01:14 PM
And a really dull razor, and a stick with a large handkerchief to carry all of your belongings.

SPchief
12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
don't forget you also get rights to his shopping cart after he dies

Dartgod
12-03-2004, 01:40 PM
You only saw me the one time? Man I was driving around and around. I couldn't get up the courage to go knock on the door so I just snapped a few pics and left.
OK, this was actually funny. Here's some rare positive rep for you...

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
The shopping cart thing reminds me. We live in an urban neighborhood, and we're two blocks from two major grocery stores (one north and one south). When anyone in our neighborhood gets groceries, we just walk to the store, push the cart home, unload the groceries, and take the cart out to the alley. The stores then send a pickup around to pick up all of the carts once or twice a week.

Well, one of the grocery stores did a major remodeling a couple of years back. It was huge, and the store was closed for many months while they added a second floor and did a bunch of other stuff.

When they opened back up, they had all new shopping carts with a new feature. Every cart had some sort of radio device on it, and if you took the cart off the parking lot, it activated an electronic brake and jammed the cart's wheels.

There were a lot of ticked off shoppers that first week, who had to call home from the parking lot and get help carrying their groceries home. It particularly ticked off a columnist for our neighborhood newspaper, who has only one arm and had to drag home all of his groceries.

2bikemike
12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Too lazy to read through and see if somebody else posted. But I have seen appraisers do this when comparing comps. In fact I have an appraisal with pictures of other comps on it along with descriptions.

tommykat
12-03-2004, 06:42 PM

Before I read all this.........Brock and others with insurance agents have to do it.......

Bwana
12-03-2004, 06:48 PM
FBI, CIA, IRS??

Bwana
12-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Before I read all this.........Brock and others with insurance agents have to do it.......
Stop with the XXX rated crap TK. :shake:

Frazod
12-03-2004, 10:20 PM
This would annoy me. The next picture just might be snapped from inside the guy's ass if I could get my hands on him and his f#cking camera.

I don't like being messed with in my house. While this is mild, you never know - could be some thief casing the neighborhood. If you or your wife see the guy again, you should at least try to get his plate number.

Of course, no one would want to take a picture of my building. I live on a long street full of identical multi-unit townhouse buildings. I've lived here 3 1/2 years, and I still turn into the wrong driveway on occasion. :spock:

ChiefsFanatik88
12-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Most likely what he was doing was comparing your house to a house that someone is trying to buy or refinance in your hood. using it as a reference for property values.