PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter movies?

LTownChief
12-03-2004, 10:36 PM
I got the BB movie pass and there is nothing out I want to see that I haven't already seen. so how are the harry potter movies? I never read the books, but I am considering renting these movies because I've heard they are good. I never read the lord of the rings books and I loved those movies.

so how many harry potter movies are there? 2 or 3? are they worth watching if you haven't read the books?

Frazod
12-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I got the BB movie pass and there is nothing out I want to see that I haven't already seen. so how are the harry potter movies? I never read the books, but I am considering renting these movies because I've heard they are good. I never read the lord of the rings books and I loved those movies.

so how many harry potter movies are there? 2 or 3? are they worth watching if you haven't read the books?

There are three of them. I never bothered watching them, assuming they were just kiddie movies. Then one of my friends who has kids got me to watch one, and it rocked. I own all three of them on DVD now and actually saw the last one in the theater.

badgirl
12-03-2004, 10:41 PM

I have saw 3 , but I beleive I missed one, I just watched the last one last night, it was good, they are all good in my opinion, I read the books when I was bored and had nothing else to read, which led me to the movies and I enjoy them. :thumb:

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Mildly amusing.... not great. Haggred (sp?) rocks.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Not bad flicks, never read the books.

Miles
12-03-2004, 10:48 PM
There are three of them. I never bothered watching them, assuming they were just kiddie movies. Then one of my friends who has kids got me to watch one, and it rocked. I own all three of them on DVD now and actually saw the last one in the theater.

Interesting...i always thought the same think about them being kiddie movies. Ill check em out.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-03-2004, 10:48 PM

There are 3, and they are all enjoyable, solid films. My wife, who has read the books, loves them, but has some issues with them. I've never read the books, and they are good films. The third is far and away the best, but I'm not a big fan of Chris Columbus' style (shiny, glossy, perfect). I much prefer Alfonso Cuaron's darker vision...

Frazod
12-03-2004, 10:50 PM
There are 3, and they are all enjoyable, solid films. My wife, who has read the books, loves them, but has some issues with them. I've never read the books, and they are good films. The third is far and away the best, but I'm not a big fan of Chris Columbus' style (shiny, glossy, perfect). I much prefer Alfonso Cuaron's darker vision...

I agree that the third one was the best - it was very dark with some seriously f#cked up monsters. I think those dementors would have given me nightmares when I was kid. :D

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I agree that the third one was the best - it was very dark with some seriously f#cked up monsters. I think those dementors would have given me nightmares when I was kid. :D Damn... my dad put that movie on this Thanksgiving. I fell asleep. (Hell, that's what you're supposed to do.) Maybe I should have watched it.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I agree that the third one was the best - it was very dark with some seriously f#cked up monsters. I think those dementors would have given me nightmares when I was kid. :D

It's too bad that the writer (I'm drawing a blank right now) based their descriptions off the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings... I think that's a weakness, especially coming less than a year after the LOTR trilogy. It just looks like Cuaron was copying Jackson's vision, but really it was Potter's author that ripped off LOTR.

There are a lot more dark imagery in Prisoner of Azkaban than in the previous ones, and that's the nature of the story, as I understand it. It gets darker from here on out, and I'm afraid Cuaron's talent for that vision may have been used too early. It's pretty darn dark and it's supposed to get worse.

We'll see.

Frazod
12-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Damn... my dad put that movie on this Thanksgiving. I fell asleep. (Hell, that's what you're supposed to do.) Maybe I should have watched it.

I think you'd like it. You should watch it. Watch it with your kids if you feel you need an excuse. :D

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 10:59 PM
I think you'd like it. You should watch it. Watch it with your kids if you feel you need an excuse. :D Hah.. I will. I plan to use that excuse for the Incredibles too.

Frazod
12-03-2004, 11:01 PM
It's too bad that the writer (I'm drawing a blank right now) based their descriptions off the ring wraiths from Lord of the Rings... I think that's a weakness, especially coming less than a year after the LOTR trilogy. It just looks like Cuaron was copying Jackson's vision, but really it was Potter's author that ripped off LOTR.

There are a lot more dark imagery in Prisoner of Azkaban than in the previous ones, and that's the nature of the story, as I understand it. It gets darker from here on out, and I'm afraid Cuaron's talent for that vision may have been used too early. It's pretty darn dark and it's supposed to get worse.

We'll see.

J. K. Rowling, I think, is the author. Never read the books.

Of course, the ring wraiths are little more than retreads on the grim reaper/Charon the boatman theme, so I doubt if you'll see any lawsuits any time soon.

I do look forward to future movies, though. Dark is good. :evil:

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Every fantasy novel I've read since LOTR has "ripped off" LOTR. R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorites, but he's one of the worst about doing that...

Frazod
12-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Every fantasy novel I've read since LOTR has "ripped off" LOTR. R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorites, but he's one of the worst about doing that...

Clean out your smokes.

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Clean out your smokes. Done.

Valiant
12-04-2004, 01:44 AM

We'll see.

Everything is stolen off of something else...

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:53 AM

I have read the next two books and the 5th book will be a seriously dark movie. In fact it is so complex I am not sure how they do it justice in one movie.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2004, 08:10 AM
I've read all 5 books, anxiously awaiting the 6th. The movies are done very well, although I was slightly dissapointed with the 3rd one as it did not follow the book as well as the 1st and 2nd movies did. This will become a common theme IMO as the books get longer and longer, and more complex.

I agree with Vlad, the 5th movie will be very tough to do. I don't know if they will even do it...but I suppose they will, its $$$.

Frankie
12-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Clue #1- IMO, they've alternated in quality.
Clue #2- IMO, The bad ones outnumber the good.

Riddle- Figure out which one is the "good" one.

(BTW, I have that one but have a hard time finding a proper place on the shelve for it as I shelve my DVDs by genre.)

morphius
12-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I have read the next two books and the 5th book will be a seriously dark movie. In fact it is so complex I am not sure how they do it justice in one movie.
Maybe they can get Lucas to do the movie, I heard he is great!

I have seen all 3 movies, and have liked them all. We were talking about this subject last night at a work party and everyone seemed to like them. Probably not great movies, but good movies.