PDA

View Full Version : Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Name the poison?

Miles
12-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Guess The Princess Bride was on tonight?

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Guess The Princess Bride was on tonight?
No that line just popped into my head. The poison? By the way I also know the answer. I just thought this would be a good start to a useless trivia thread.

Spicy McHaggis
12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Never get into a land war in the middle east...

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Never get into a land war in the middle east...

Actually it is Asia but very good.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Name the poison?
"Iocaine. I'd bet my life on it."

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:34 AM
"Iocaine. I'd bet my life on it."We have a winner. I would ask you if you know what country it is from, but being a movie critic I fear you will know all the answers.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
We have a winner. I would ask you if you know what country it is from, but being a movie critic I fear you will know all the answers.
Yeah, I love these threads... I live for movie trivia. And this happens to be one of my favorites. Maybe I'll just shut up and observe.

:p

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Here's some real trivia: the book "The Princess Bride" almost always says on the inner flap "The Goodparts Edition"...

Why?

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Here's some real trivia: the book "The Princess Bride" almost always says on the inner flap "The Goodparts Edition"...

Why?

I do not know why but I thought it actually said "The Good Parts Edition" and I had always assumed it was a subtitle.

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I love these threads... I live for movie trivia. And this happens to be one of my favorites. Maybe I'll just shut up and observe.

:p

Nah, I think maybe there are only about 5 people on. This is not the best time to start a thread like this one.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 12:45 AM
"Haha you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is NEVER get involved in a land war in asia! But only slightly less well known is this! NEVER go in against a sicilian when DEATH is on the line! Ah hahahaha! Ah hahahaha! Ah haha.....ha." *slump*

BigRedChief
12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't think that word means what you think.

TheNextStep
12-04-2004, 12:49 AM

Why?
Does it have something to do with the movie and the way Fred Savage kept encouraging his Grandpa to "get to the good parts?"

Fried Meat Ball!
I do not know why but I thought it actually said "The Good Parts Edition" and I had always assumed it was a subtitle.
You are right, sorry. It is The Good Parts Edition, but it's not really a subtitle. The Princess Bride is the story of S. Morgenstern's "A Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure"... which goes into laborious detail of Florence history and etiquette. Screenwriter William Goldman's father used to read it to him as a child, but would omit the boring parts. Goldman basically rewrote the story, throwing in the part about dad, and leaving out all of the extraneous stuff he thought wasn't needed... thus, the Good Parts Edition.

Logical
"Haha you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is NEVER get involved in a land war in asia! But only slightly less well known is this! NEVER go in against a sicilian when DEATH is on the line! Ah hahahaha! Ah hahahaha! Ah haha.....ha." *slump*

Right but it appears you got this from a website. the *slump* is tell tale sign.

Logical
12-04-2004, 12:51 AM
You are right, sorry. It is The Good Parts Edition, but it's not really a subtitle. The Princess Bride is the story of S. Morgenstern's "A Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure"... which goes into laborious detail of Florence history and etiquette. Screenwriter William Goldman's father used to read it to him as a child, but would omit the boring parts. Goldman basically rewrote the story, throwing in the part about dad, and leaving out all of the extraneous stuff he thought wasn't needed... thus, the Good Parts Edition.

That is great piece of trivia and interesting at the same time.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Right but it appears you got this from a website. the *slump* is tell tale sign.

Wrong. I've committed that quote to memory. In fact I've posted it here before.

Logical
Name an actor that has starred in two trilogies other than Harrison Ford?

Logical
Wrong. I've committed that quote to memory. In fact I've posted it here before. So why add the *slump* it is not dialogue?

TheNextStep
12-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Wrong. I've committed that quote to memory. In fact I've posted it here before.
Nobody believes you. Your cut and paste is a little too transparent.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 12:57 AM

I probably know this, I just can't remember.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Nobody believes you. Your cut and paste is a little too transparent.

Proof that I am not lying (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22Haha+you+fool%21+You+fell+victim+to+one+of+the+classic+blunders%21+The+first+is+NEVER+ge t+involved+in+a+land+war+in+asia%21+But+only+slightly+less+well+known+is+this%21+NEVER+go+in+against +a+sicilian+when+DEATH+is+on+the+line%21+Ah+hahahaha%21+Ah+hahahaha%21+Ah+haha.....ha.%22+*slump*&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1)

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 12:59 AM
So why add the *slump* it is not dialogue?

Who said I was only going to post dialogue? It's a part of the scene that always sticks out in my mind following that line.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:00 AM
That is great piece of trivia and interesting at the same time.
Here's another. The first classic blunder -- never get involved in a landwar in Asia -- supposedly was advice Macarthur gave to Kennedy in the early 60s.

I also read a long time ago that Andre the Giant had problems concentrating on speaking clearly (he had a VERY thick accent when he didn't concentrate on speaking clear English -- even then, it wasn't great). So, during some of the fight scenes in particular, when Andre would forget to concentrate, his accent was so thick no one could understand him... so Mandy Patinkin (who played Inigo Montoya) apparently took to slapping him. I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable smacking a guy Andre's size, you know?

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Here's another. The first classic blunder -- never get involved in a landwar in Asia -- supposedly was advice Macarthur gave to Kennedy in the early 60s.

I also read a long time ago that Andre the Giant had problems concentrating on speaking clearly (he had a VERY thick accent when he didn't concentrate on speaking clear English -- even then, it wasn't great). So, during some of the fight scenes in particular, when Andre would forget to concentrate, his accent was so thick no one could understand him... so Mandy Patinkin (who played Inigo Montoya) apparently took to slapping him. I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable smacking a guy Andre's size, you know?

No joke

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:04 AM
No joke

I was going to say John-Rhys Davies (Gimli in LOTR and Sallah in Indiana Jones) but then I remembered he wasn't in Temple of Doom.

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:05 AM

Hugo Weaving. Matrix and Lord of the rings. Not really starred though in lord of the rings though.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Hugo Weaving. Matrix and Lord of the rings. Not really starred though in lord of the rings though.

I was going to say, define "starred." Weaving is barely in The Two Towers at all.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:07 AM
I was going to say John-Rhys Davies (Gimli in LOTR and Sallah in Indiana Jones) but then I remembered he wasn't in Temple of Doom.

Keep trying I know of three. I will give you a clue on one of them one of the two trilogies was Star Wars but the other was not Indiana Jones (those two would of course be Harrison Ford).

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:08 AM

OK was not one of the ones I was thinking of but I believe you are correct.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:10 AM
James Earl Jones -- Star Wars, Jack Ryan Trilogy (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger)

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Clint Eastwood made five movies playing Dirty Harry...I had no idea.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:11 AM
James Earl Jones -- Star Wars, Jack Ryan Trilogy (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger)

Damn you!

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:11 AM

Very good

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Clint Eastwood made five movies playing Dirty Harry...I had no idea. You are getting warm can you name the other trilogy, and I just thought of another actor.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Damn you!
Did I just beat you? Someone else did that to me with Hugo Weaving...

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:13 AM
You are getting warm can you name the other trilogy, and I just thought of another actor.
The Man With No Name Trilogy.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:14 AM

I checked that out, he's not the same guy in the second movie according to imdb.

Besides he made FIVE dirty harry movies. How is that a trilogy?

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:15 AM
Very good

I about to say Alec Guinness in a triligy of badass unrelated movies. By far the best actor in Star War (though i do like Ford)

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:15 AM
I checked that out, he's not the same guy in the second movie according to imdb.

Besides he made FIVE dirty harry movies. How is that a trilogy?
I would tend to agree. But the Man with no name trilogy is still a trilogy -- I would be hard pressed to say it matters whether or not he plays the same character. But you're right about Dirty Harry, IMO.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:18 AM

Yes though I didn't know the trilogy actually had a name. I just knew it as

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Fistfull of Dollars
A Few Dollars more

Some great spaghetti westerns.

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes though I didn't know the trilogy actually had a name. I just knew it as

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Fistfull of Dollars
A Few Dollars more

Some great spaghetti westerns.

Yeah Sergio Leone is badass.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:19 AM
I would tend to agree. But the Man with no name trilogy is still a trilogy -- I would be hard pressed to say it matters whether or not he plays the same character. But you're right about Dirty Harry, IMO.

I do not know what you call a serial that extends beyond 3 movies so I got lazy, so kill me. :shrug:

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Here's one... Toshiro Mifuni... starred in H. Inagaki's Samurai I, II, and III, and A. Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo (which is a trilogy, as well, despite the different names).

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:22 AM
Here's one... Toshiro Mifuni... starred in H. Inagaki's Samurai I, II, and III, and A. Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo (which is a trilogy, as well, despite the different names).

Though i havnet seen it I thought Hidden Fortress was unrelated to the other two?

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:22 AM

Wow now that is some trivia. My other one is a plain old set of American trilogies (actual trilogies I think this time).

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Though i havnet seen it I thought Hidden Fortress was unrelated to the other two?
It's been a LONG time, but the three are ALWAYS mentioned in the same breath. I could be wrong there, though.

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Wow now that is some trivia. My other one is a plain old set of American trilogies (actual trilogies I think this time).

I think we're going to need another hint. :D

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:32 AM
I think we're going to need another hint. :D

Both trilogies start with the letter R

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:32 AM
It's been a LONG time, but the three are ALWAYS mentioned in the same breath. I could be wrong there, though.

Im pretty sure Hidden Fortress doesnt have the same charactor as Yojimbo and Sanjuro.

Though Toshirô Mifune was a an amazing actor. He had an unbelievable presence on camera. One of my favorite actors of all time despite me not knowing the language.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Would Eddie Murphy count? Beverly Hills Cop and Shrek (Shrek 3 is already in production).

Or are we dealing with true trilogies... so Sylvester Stallone with Rambo and Rocky doesn't count?

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Would Eddie Murphy count? Beverly Hills Cop and Shrek (Shrek 3 is already in production).

Or are we dealing with true trilogies... so Sylvester Stallone with Rambo and Rocky doesn't count?Actually Sylvester is who I was thinking about why do they not count?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:36 AM
Actually Sylvester is who I was thinking about why do they not count?

Depends on whether or not we're keeping a strict trilogy definition. If we're saying trilogy is 3, Rocky doesn't count because there are 5 of them... I'm good with using a loose interpretation.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Depends on whether or not we're keeping a strict trilogy definition. If we're saying trilogy is 3, Rocky doesn't count because there are 5 of them... I'm good with using a loose interpretation.

Wow I did not know there were 5 I am pretty sure I only watched 3. How lame were the last two?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Mel Gibson, Mad Max & Lethal Weapon

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Wow I did not know there were 5 I am pretty sure I only watched 3. How lame were the last two?

You forgot the 80's one with classic like such as "i will break him" and "if he dies he dies".....Ivan Drago.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:41 AM
I cannot think of any actresses that have rolls in two trilogies, can anyone?

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Mel Gibson, Mad Max & Lethal WeaponGood, that would seem to be another.

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Mel Gibson, Mad Max & Lethal Weapon

Nice call :thumb:

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Rocky 4 was with Ivan Drago (played by Dolph Lundgren), not good. Rocky 5, worse.

Here's useless trivia... Lundgren was a Rhodes Scholar at MIT. The bad guy in Rocky 5, played by Tommy 'The Duke' Morrison, is the son of Tommy Sr., a scumbag, and grew up in my hometown of Aurora, MO (35 miles southwest of Springfield, MO).

Miles

Im trying but i cant think of one at all.

Fried Meat Ball!
Talia Shire was in the Rocky series and The Godfather.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Talia Shire was in the Rocky series and The Godfather.

Very good. I would think one of the past generation actresses might have done a couple but maybe trilogies just were not done back in the golden era of movies.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:50 AM
He has given us....his shoe!

Miles
12-04-2004, 01:51 AM
He has given us....his shoe!

Good ole Life of Brian.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Would Jean-Claude Van Damme be considered since every movie he's ever made is LIKE a sequel to the previous? Or Steven Segal for that matter?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 01:54 AM
I have to work for a few minutes... I'll be right back.

Logical
12-04-2004, 01:57 AM
Would Jean-Claude Van Damme be considered since every movie he's ever made is LIKE a sequel to the previous? Or Steven Segal for that matter?

LOL isn't some sort of plot required to make a series. These movies are formula movies. If we are going that way then Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton probably qualify more robustly. At least there is a common character.

Miles
12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
I was just hunting aroud on imdb and supposedly Toshirô Mifune was originally considered for obi wan instead of Guinness.

Wonder if GoChiefs can verify that?

Count Zarth
12-04-2004, 02:07 AM
I was just hunting aroud on imdb and supposedly Toshirô Mifune was originally considered for obi wan instead of Guinness.

I think you may be right...in very early considerations. After Lucas met with Guiness for lunch one day though and they went over the script and story Guiness was absolutely hooked. He loved it.

Miles
12-04-2004, 02:14 AM
I think you may be right...in very early considerations. After Lucas met with Guiness for lunch one day though and they went over the script and story Guiness was absolutely hooked. He loved it.

Yeah very early would make sense since his english wasnt paticularly good.

Another Star Wars question. Were the charactors of C3po and R2 really based off of The Hidden Fortress? Its obvious that Lucas got the frame transition (swipe) from Kurasawa but I have only read about the charactors from Hidden Fortress.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 02:15 AM

I've read that before... wouldn't surprise me at all with the influence Kurosawa had on Lucas.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah that would make sense since his english wasnt paticularly good.

Another Star Wars question. Were the charactors of C3po and R2 really based off of The Hidden Fortress? Its obvious that Lucas got the frame transition (swipe) from Kurasawa but I have only read about the charactors from Hidden Fortress.
Yes, on The Hidden Fortress Criterion DVD, Lucas is interviewed and says the inspiration of the story comes from telling the story by the two thieves, or the Star Wars version, the droids.

Rausch
12-04-2004, 02:23 AM

I have no idea how JCVD finds work. None. He has less range than a six inch shotgun...

Miles
12-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Yes, on The Hidden Fortress Criterion DVD, Lucas is interviewed and says the inspiration of the story comes from telling the story by the two thieves, or the Star Wars version, the droids.

Cool i was never reall sure about that. I reallly need to see the Criterion Hidden Fortresss.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 02:26 AM
"Acknowledged as a primary influence on George Lucas’ Star Wars, The Hidden Fortress delivers Kurosawa’s inimitably deft blend of wry humor, breathtaking action and humanist compassion on an epic scale."

http://criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=116

Miles
12-04-2004, 02:43 AM
"Acknowledged as a primary influence on George Lucas’ Star Wars, The Hidden Fortress delivers Kurosawa’s inimitably deft blend of wry humor, breathtaking action and humanist compassion on an epic scale."

http://criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=116

That and Red Beard are the two famous ones of his i havent seen yet.

I looked around on criterions site and found these other two that are now releases:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=267

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=239
Double feature with that Renoir guy i keep pimping.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 02:46 AM
That and Red Beard are the two famous ones of his i havent seen yet.

I looked around on criterions site and found these other two that are now releases:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=267

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=239
Double feature with that Renoir guy i keep pimping.
I knew Kagamusha was out -- it's on my Christmas wish list :)

I'll have to look for the other.

Miles
12-04-2004, 02:50 AM
I knew Kagamusha was out -- it's on my Christmas wish list :)

I'll have to look for the other.

Is Kagamusha good? I figure it is but not sure if it lives up to his classic stuff.

The other one i havent even heard of before. It cant be bad since it has films from 2 of my faborite directors on it.

Have you seen Stray Dog yet?

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 02:57 AM
Is Kagamusha good? I figure it is but not sure if it lives up to his classic stuff.

The other one i havent even heard of before. It cant be bad since it has films from 2 of my faborite directors on it.

Have you seen Stray Dog yet?
Haven't seen any of them... I'm just addicted to Critions. :(

Miles
12-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Haven't seen any of them... I'm just addicted to Critions. :(

Yeah i definitly undersand that and them having so many Kurosawa films doesnt help at all. Stray Dog is damn good, actually I like it more than many of his Samurai films. I tend enjpy his modern setting movies more anyways. Ikiru was brillian and The Bad Sleep Well, Drunken Angel, and High and Low are all great.

Have you seen many Fritz Lang films? I rembember you saying you liked Mabuse. Other than that i have only seen M and Metropolis. I like his German films but i dont know where to go from there.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Yeah i definitly undersand that and them having so many Kurosawa films doesnt help at all. Stray Dog is damn good, actually I like it more than many of his Samurai films. I tend enjpy his modern setting movies more anyways. Ikiru was brillian and The Bad Sleep Well, Drunken Angel, and High and Low are all great.

Have you seen many Fritz Lang films? I rembember you saying you liked Mabuse. Other than that i have only seen M and Metropolis. I like his German films but i dont know where to go from there.
Those are the same three of his I've seen... sorry, no help there.

Miles
12-04-2004, 03:12 AM
Those are the same three of his I've seen... sorry, no help there.

Yeah i just figue he as more out there that are good since the three of those were really great.

Miles
12-04-2004, 03:23 AM
Time to call it a night. Later man.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Time to call it a night. Later man.
Later.