PDA

View Full Version : Back to the gym

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 04:46 PM
I may have told you, that an employee of mine started as a junior center for the local HS.

I have taken him as my padowan learner to get him bulked up for his senior year.

I will keep you informed about the progress.

Starting out, this kid is 6-2 and weighs 208.

The goal is to get him to 230 and able to bench 125% of his weight.

Proper diet and training at the gym for the next 6 months should get him to the target. It will be a thing of pride watching him moved to tackle and smashing the shit out of opposing lineman.

:)

chiefs4me
12-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Good Luck

Demonpenz
12-04-2004, 05:14 PM
keep his flexibility up. You never know when an acl can go

Baby Lee
12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
In HS I was 5'10" 175, and I could bench 125% of 'his' weight [my max was 290]. And I was a 'faggy' soccer player with no use for arm strength. By next fall, any dedicated kid starting out at 6'2" should be able to bench 325 and squat 450.

ChiefsFire
12-04-2004, 05:22 PM
i have some flaxseed oil that should help

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 05:48 PM
In HS I was 5'10" 175, and I could bench 125% of 'his' weight [my max was 290]. And I was a 'faggy' soccer player with no use for arm strength. By next fall, any dedicated kid starting out at 6'2" should be able to bench 325 and squat 450.
We have to reach the first goal to get to the second.

Strategy is to have him blow through that one.

He is training a lot of lower body at the school 2 days a week.

That is fine by me, because I suck at lower body technique.

I did run X country in HS, so I know all the leg stretches and then some.

Eating is going to be key for him.

The first day we trained, I asked him, what did you eat today? You don't want to hear the answer, it wasn't good.

My goal is to lose 30 pounds by the time I am done training. It is downright embarassing how low I have sunk from the rut I have put myself into. Here I am training a kid, I have the knowledge, and I am almost a pot bellied fvck.

Count Alex's Wins
12-04-2004, 05:54 PM
I didn't know they had 230 lb linemen in high school...my buddy was 275.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 05:57 PM
ROFL Oline, definitely has use for arm strength.

Upright rows, shrugs, Lat pull downs. Lends stability to the arms.

Bench, well, you have to destroy whats in front of you.

He is quick, otherwise they wouldn't have him at center. As a sophmore, he was a tackle but was too small for that at the varsity level.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 05:58 PM
We are NOT going to take steroids, and he is NOT fat. 17 years old and his dad owns a dairy. Can you say STEAK for dinner???

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey, look busy go cheeves.

Count Alex's Wins
12-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, look busy go cheeves.

WTF? My buddy wasn't on steroids and he wasn't fat either.

Jenson71
12-04-2004, 06:27 PM

You're just gifted. No kid on our football team could bench 325.

The kid sounds like me though. I'm 6'2'', 225lbs. It's been a while since I've maxed out, because I usually don't have anyone to spot me. Right now, I'm benching 150lbs 6 times, 3 reps, incline 135... My goal is to bench 200 by spring, 220 by summer, and 240 by football...

go bowe
12-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I may have told you, that an employee of mine started as a junior center for the local HS.

I have taken him as my padowan learner to get him bulked up for his senior year.

I will keep you informed about the progress.

Starting out, this kid is 6-2 and weighs 208.

The goal is to get him to 230 and able to bench 125% of his weight.

Proper diet and training at the gym for the next 6 months should get him to the target. It will be a thing of pride watching him moved to tackle and smashing the shit out of opposing lineman.

:)why would you want him to move out to tackle?

center is a good position (i was a center on offense and a de when i was in high school)...

go bowe
12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
We have to reach the first goal to get to the second.

Strategy is to have him blow through that one.

He is training a lot of lower body at the school 2 days a week.

That is fine by me, because I suck at lower body technique.

I did run X country in HS, so I know all the leg stretches and then some.

Eating is going to be key for him.

The first day we trained, I asked him, what did you eat today? You don't want to hear the answer, it wasn't good.

My goal is to lose 30 pounds by the time I am done training. It is downright embarassing how low I have sunk from the rut I have put myself into. Here I am training a kid, I have the knowledge, and I am almost a pot bellied fvck.hey! what have you got against pot bellied fvcks? :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

go bowe
12-04-2004, 06:42 PM

The kid sounds like me though. I'm 6'2'', 225lbs. It's been a while since I've maxed out, because I usually don't have anyone to spot me. Right now, I'm benching 150lbs 6 times, 3 reps, incline 135... My goal is to bench 200 by spring, 220 by summer, and 240 by football...this thread is worthless without pics...

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 06:51 PM
WTF? My buddy wasn't on steroids and he wasn't fat either.
Don't put fuggin words in my mouth. Where did I say that in my post?

Count Alex's Wins
12-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Don't put fuggin words in my mouth. Where did I say that in my post?

BITCH I'LL CUT YOU

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 06:52 PM

The kid sounds like me though. I'm 6'2'', 225lbs. It's been a while since I've maxed out, because I usually don't have anyone to spot me. Right now, I'm benching 150lbs 6 times, 3 reps, incline 135... My goal is to bench 200 by spring, 220 by summer, and 240 by football...
It aint the metal its the motion.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 07:02 PM
why would you want him to move out to tackle?

center is a good position (i was a center on offense and a de when i was in high school)...
Its what he wants, not me.

I never played in HS, but Intramural in college, I was a center. I knew we had something in common go bo. lmao.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 07:02 PM
BITCH I'LL CUT YOU
Use the force Luke.

Count Alex's Wins
12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Use the force Luke.

No, I'll just use my knife.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
No, I'll just use my knife.
Easy big boy, lighten up. I am beginning to understand the Go Chiefs mythology.

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Then he was a big mean motha fugga.

Is that better.

I didn't mean to piss you off man.

Lighten up.

Skip Towne
12-04-2004, 07:20 PM
When I was in HS I was 5'6", 140# and I could bench 325 (First liar doesn't have a chance).

Calcountry
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
When I was in HS I was 5'6", 140# and I could bench 325 (First liar doesn't have a chance).
I believe it, because short people have a lower gear to move the metal, and don't have to move it as far.

Baby Lee
12-04-2004, 08:02 PM

How can that be? I was in HS 15 years ago, and all our FB linemen out benched me. And Belton HS had a sh!tty team. We evidently had a NFL caliber coach [Gregg Williams, for those who hadn't heard] but went 0-10 two years straight. We had a Physical Fitness class [think AP gym], of 35-40 boys, and the lowest bench max was 235, and that kid was 5'5" 145 pounds. Half of the class wasn't even on the FB team and they all benched 250-290 max.

Where I was gifted was squats. Rarely worked out on the weights, at least not nearly as much as I did on bench, incline, lats, curls, etc., just played soccer and ran cross country, yet maxed 435 as a soph and 500 as a senior.

Baby Lee
12-04-2004, 08:06 PM
If I had any idea how to get ahold of them, my class notes would reflect what I've said on here, as we were required to max bench, squats, incline, etc. for grades in Physical Fitness class.
The best I can do is show a couple of pics. One is coach Williams from the yearbook [along with Coach Al, the old guy]. The other is me from our Jr. year soccer picture.
If it's any consolation, a decade and a half of higher education and desk work has rendered me a fat fvck with a gimpy shoulder.

Phobia
12-04-2004, 08:13 PM

Dude, you need some more aggressive progress goals. There's NO reason you can't be lifting 300 lbs by football if you want to. Granted, you're pretty weak (there's no excuse for a big guy like yourself not benching at LEAST 200), but if you really dedicate yourself to getting stronger, you can eclipse 240. 240 is weak. I'll bet I can bench 240 right now and I haven't lifted in over a decade.

kccrazzi
12-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I have to chime in on this one. We have operated a gym for 15 years and now just have a personal gym for the wife and I and kids on the local football team. 10 yrs ago I competed in 4 state area power lifting meets and bench press contests. Have several friends that mainly competed in body building as amatur and semi pro, this included Mr. Kansas contest and area local states. To gain strength and body weight (considered the off season) work out 3 times a week M.W.F. while using basic lifts. Start by working largest muscle groups first 1. Squats reps = 8,6,4 2.bench press reps = 8,6,4 for football definatly power kleans reps 8,6,4 Then of course you can work arms just to show off the medals that you earn. On arms always work triceps first (they are 70% of your arm size) Try 3 sets of close grip bench or lying french press reps =10,8,6. And then work biceps straight bar or ez curl (ez bar takes stress off of elbows) always place1foot infront of the other to take stress off lower back, of course you need to do (crunches upper abs. leg lifts lower abs.) and then good mornings(stretches lower back) this will keep lower back and abs in harmony while lifting Heavy. Rest and diet will be critical maybe even more important than lifting. rest and take naps when ever possible. eat at least 5 times a day a couple hours a part, not huge meals but quality foods chicken breast, oatmeal, fish, tuna, good cereals, fruits try to get 20 grams of protein at each serving. The idea to this work out is to conserve calories and cold weather is the excellant time of year to do this.

Jenson71
12-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Dude, you need some more aggressive progress goals. There's NO reason you can't be lifting 300 lbs by football if you want to. Granted, you're pretty weak (there's no excuse for a big guy like yourself not benching at LEAST 200), but if you really dedicate yourself to getting stronger, you can eclipse 240. 240 is weak. I'll bet I can bench 240 right now and I haven't lifted in over a decade.

Cool.

The biggest interest I ever had in lifting started 3 weeks ago when I became a senior leader. Before, I was unmotivated, yep. I had a very late start in lifting. But, I've always been pretty lazy.

Okay, fine. My new goal is 300. :harumph: Will see how that goes.

230 by spring, 260 by summer, 300 by football. And that's not max...it's reps.

Jenson71
12-04-2004, 11:09 PM
My first goal though is to get off chiefsplanet...now that will be hard.

Jenson71
12-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Man, I really need some oreos right now...

Logical
12-05-2004, 01:31 AM
I must admit I am shocked, my son weighed I think 250 his Senior year as an offensive lineman. I think most of the kids in the area were that or heavier.

Rain Man
12-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Just the other day, I benched 95. My long-term goals are to push into the three-digit range.

Count Alex's Wins
12-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I must admit I am shocked, my son weighed I think 250 his Senior year as an offensive lineman. I think most of the kids in the area were that or heavier.

I guess it makes a difference what kind of football program/area you are in. Texas being a big football state.

Braincase
12-05-2004, 12:18 PM
One thing I'd like to add. If the kid is working out the quads through leg extensions, he must, repeat MUST, do a balanced workout with hamstring curls. Part of the reason I blew out my knees is the fact my workouts were unblanaced and it was my own damn fault. I LOVED leg extensions and watching my quads get freakin' huge, but I neglected my hammies. The hamstrings must be be stretched, worked out then gently stretched again. And drink lots and lots of water with flaxseed oil. :thumb:

go bowe
12-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Its what he wants, not me.

I never played in HS, but Intramural in college, I was a center. I knew we had something in common go bo. lmao.well, there's that...

and i don't wash my legs every day... :p :p :p

Braincase
12-05-2004, 01:30 PM
well, there's that...

and i don't wash my legs every day... :p :p :p

But you do suck your cereal.

KCJake
12-05-2004, 01:45 PM
I have to chime in on this one. We have operated a gym for 15 years and now just have a personal gym for the wife and I and kids on the local football team. 10 yrs ago I competed in 4 state area power lifting meets and bench press contests. Have several friends that mainly competed in body building as amatur and semi pro, this included Mr. Kansas contest and area local states. To gain strength and body weight (considered the off season) work out 3 times a week M.W.F. while using basic lifts. Start by working largest muscle groups first 1. Squats reps = 8,6,4 2.bench press reps = 8,6,4 for football definatly power kleans reps 8,6,4 Then of course you can work arms just to show off the medals that you earn. On arms always work triceps first (they are 70% of your arm size) Try 3 sets of close grip bench or lying french press reps =10,8,6. And then work biceps straight bar or ez curl (ez bar takes stress off of elbows) always place1foot infront of the other to take stress off lower back, of course you need to do (crunches upper abs. leg lifts lower abs.) and then good mornings(stretches lower back) this will keep lower back and abs in harmony while lifting Heavy. Rest and diet will be critical maybe even more important than lifting. rest and take naps when ever possible. eat at least 5 times a day a couple hours a part, not huge meals but quality foods chicken breast, oatmeal, fish, tuna, good cereals, fruits try to get 20 grams of protein at each serving. The idea to this work out is to conserve calories and cold weather is the excellant time of year to do this.

Best post so far. The biggest mistake people make is poor diet. Anybody can go on the net and find a decent workout routine and hit the weights. The hard part is maintaing proper nutrition throughout the day. Protein, carbs, vitimins/minerals, and good fats.(flaxseed oil)

go bowe
12-05-2004, 02:05 PM
But you do suck your cereal.better cereal than nasty old... well, you get the picture... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Braincase
12-05-2004, 02:13 PM
I may be getting inspired to try and do something other than sit around and watch my pants get shiny.

I need to get my elliptical fixed. Probably ought to talk to an orthopaedic and find out how made the right unit is.

Y'all are a knowledgable group.

Calcountry
12-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Maybe he told me the wrong weight.

After all, he is a portegee, what can you expect? :p

Calcountry
12-06-2004, 12:30 PM
I guess it makes a difference what kind of football program/area you are in. Texas being a big football state.
Yes, Texas is legendary for their football prowess.

At one time, my Alma Matter was ranked #2 in large schools in the State of California.

Thats no chit.