PDA

View Full Version : Kennison needs to stay

dtebbe
12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Eddie is OK as a 2nd or 3rd WR in this offense. He earns his salary, and makes some big plays. We still need that #1 guy, however. If morton was making $1 - $1.5 mil a year I would say he should stay, but he is making too much for what he produces.

Kennison shows big-time effort after the catch, he basically made a LB his bitch today, shrugging him off like it was pee-wee league.

Then there is always the added value of him telling Shanarat where to shove it.

DT

morphius
12-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Except at one point in the first half e had dropped 4 and caught 4. That is pretty much unaccptiable.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Except at one point in the first half e had dropped 4 and caught 4. That is pretty much unaccptiable.

Exactly...plus too many injuries, too many drops and too many fumbles

He's having a good season, but this offseason is the time to let him go. You don't wait until his decline costs you more games. Now is the time to cut Kennison and Morton.

Deberg_1990
12-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Kennison has always been the type to make a great catch, and then promptly go out and drop very catchable balls on the next drive. Hes been that way his whole NFL career. Its what got him run out of St Louis in the first place.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2004, 07:39 PM
We need a better WR. Just one.

nascher
12-05-2004, 07:42 PM
You Guys make me laugh !!!

We need better Defense !!!

Saulbadguy
12-05-2004, 07:43 PM
I still say we convert Kennison in to a CB. He deflects many passes with his hands.

John_Wayne
12-05-2004, 07:44 PM
You Guys make me laugh !!!

We need better Defense !!! ............ and a #1 WR.

Coach
12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Hmm... I can't remember what it was about, but there was a interesting stuff going on about that, a team that released EK, the following year they win the Super Bowl. Denver, and St.Louis.

Count Zarth
12-05-2004, 07:50 PM
JEEZ!

We HAVE a #1 WR. His name is Tony Gonzalez.

If our WRs are good enough to rank us in the TOP FIVE in the NFL in passing offense, they are good enough to win a Super Bowl.

DEFENSE.

Sure-Oz
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Kennison has that big play ability, its his lack of concentration that ****s him over all the time. We still need a #1 he would be ap retty good #2, morton seems to be a good 3rd down poss. reciever at this point.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 08:53 PM
JEEZ!

We HAVE a #1 WR. His name is Tony Gonzalez.

If our WRs are good enough to rank us in the TOP FIVE in the NFL in passing offense, they are good enough to win a Super Bowl.

DEFENSE.

Quite a bit of the passing offense is the TE and the RBs (screens and dumps). For example, 2 passing TDs today to RBs.

We don't have a #1 WR, we have an extraordinary TE. Our WRS are not good enought to win a Super Bowl. If they were, we would have won it last year. Those drops against Indy kept the offense from overcoming the defense last year.

We need 2 WRs that can exploit single coverage, because TG continues to get mugged.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Kennison has that big play ability, its his lack of concentration that ****s him over all the time. We still need a #1 he would be ap retty good #2, morton seems to be a good 3rd down poss. reciever at this point.

He's losing that big play ability....

1) Gets caught from behind against TB and fumbles
2) Drops a TD pass down the sideline against NE

Those are big plays that needed to be made. Yes he's made some, but he's losing that ability and we need to replace him before it is gone.

Deberg_1990
12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Quite a bit of the passing offense is the TE and the RBs (screens and dumps). For example, 2 passing TDs today to RBs.

We don't have a #1 WR, we have an extraordinary TE. Our WRS are not good enought to win a Super Bowl. If they were, we would have won it last year. Those drops against Indy kept the offense from overcoming the defense last year.

We need 2 WRs that can exploit single coverage, because TG continues to get mugged.

Your right, if we had A true # 1 WR ala Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, just imagine how much more explosive Tony G would be. Im still not sure its our # 1 need, but I wouldnt shed any tears if i hear Mike Williams named called by the Chiefs next april.

bricks
12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
He's good enough for #2 WR. He simply needs to concentrate more when given the ball. He loses focus too easily, in turn, becomes dropped passes. Other than that, he's not bad.

Rain Man
12-05-2004, 09:03 PM
He's certainly emerging as Trent's preferred wideout.

Ari Chi3fs
12-05-2004, 09:04 PM
if we could somehow trade our 2 round and 4th and 5th for a teams 1st and a 3 rd 5th and 7th for another teams 1st, we could draft Derrick Johnson, Mike Williams, and Antrel Rolle. That would own. We trade Kennison and 3rd and 5th for teams 1st... and we get Braylon Edwards too... lets do it, c'mon carl :banghead:

Count Zarth
12-05-2004, 09:28 PM

This is insane.

No team wins a Super Bowl by "overcoming" the weaker side of their ball.

Some of you want us to go out and get a #1 so we can average 40 points a game, is that it?

Count Zarth
12-05-2004, 09:30 PM
he's losing that ability and we need to replace him before it is gone.

Kennison is losing his ability so badly that he's averaging more yards per catch than at any time in his Chiefs career. ROFL

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Kennison is losing his ability so badly that he's averaging more yards per catch than at any time in his Chiefs career. ROFL

How many yards per drop. He hasn't been that great in his Chiefs career so that's not saying much.

whoman69
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Our offense could be even better and its time to admit that while Morton is playing better than he ever has for us, he and Kennison are too old to scare any teams. They are not consistent enough to allow us to depend on them. If we go thru another year having to place so much of the burden on Priest, then we are fooked. He will not take another season of pounding like he has since he has been here. Having a more consistent receiver will allow this offense to do what it is supposed to do, control the clock with both the passing and running games. We have a very strong # in getting 45% conversion on 3rd downs, but our red zone offense has been getting worse. Keep moving the ball, and even if we don't score we control the game.

Hoover
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
So how did New England win 2 rings with their WRs?

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 09:41 PM
This is insane.

No team wins a Super Bowl by "overcoming" the weaker side of their ball.

Some of you want us to go out and get a #1 so we can average 40 points a game, is that it?

When we need to have a drive at the end of the game, a major problem we have is that we don't have a WR that can get open.

Clearly, we need to sign 4 or 5 defensive free agents and draft defensive players in the 1st and 2nd round. If you've read any of my post I've said that I'd like to sign the following players:

Gary Baxter
Ed Hartwell
Kendrell Bell
Darren Howard

Take Derrick Johnson in the first and a CB or DE in the 2nd.

However, that all being said, we still need to sign a Jerry Porter. We don't have a WR that exploits single coverage which is what they get.

As for offense overcoming defense...Indy's defense is as bad if not worse than ours, yet the pressure that is put on the opposing offense by Indy's offense covers them. It remains to be seen if they can do it in January in New England or Pittsburgh.

The Rams D was not that good in their superbowl run. Sure they had stats, but again that was driven by the pressure put on by their offense.

BigChiefFan
12-05-2004, 10:08 PM
When we need to have a drive at the end of the game, a major problem we have is that we don't have a WR that can get open.

Clearly, we need to sign 4 or 5 defensive free agents and draft defensive players in the 1st and 2nd round. If you've read any of my post I've said that I'd like to sign the following players:

Gary Baxter
Ed Hartwell
Kendrell Bell
Darren Howard

Take Derrick Johnson in the first and a CB or DE in the 2nd.

However, that all being said, we still need to sign a Jerry Porter. We don't have a WR that exploits single coverage which is what they get.

As for offense overcoming defense...Indy's defense is as bad if not worse than ours, yet the pressure that is put on the opposing offense by Indy's offense covers them. It remains to be seen if they can do it in January in New England or Pittsburgh.

The Rams D was not that good in their superbowl run. Sure they had stats, but again that was driven by the pressure put on by their offense.The Rams were top 5 in DEFENSE when the won the Super Bowl. They were a balanced team. Clearly we aren't. We've tried Vermeil's way of building up our offense and it has failed for 4 years now. It's time to get some defense.

Alphaman
12-06-2004, 06:22 AM
The Rams were top 5 in DEFENSE when the won the Super Bowl. They were a balanced team. Clearly we aren't. We've tried Vermeil's way of building up our offense and it has failed for 4 years now. It's time to get some defense.

Like I said, that is true if you just look at the stats. The reality is that they were that "good" because in most games the Rams were up 14-0, 21-0 8 minutes into the game. That makes playing defense a whole lot easier. The stats caught up to them the following year.

Tuckdaddy
12-06-2004, 06:38 AM
No he doesn't. I am thrilled with his 70 trayd effort but we need a real go to guy when Tony is getting doubled. Neither Mort nor Eddie are it. It becomes very evident inside the 20. They can't get free for TD's. Green has few TD passes and that's why.

DaWolf
12-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Kennison is a valuable asset to this offense, a "stretch the field" reciever who can give defenses fits with his speed. He is not and really shouldn't be a "go to" reciever, because he drops too many critical passes. Any good offense needs a solid go to reciever that will make all the catches and will draw the double team, a solid third down reciever who will not be good enough to draw double coverage but who can go up against the defense's nickel back and catch everything thrown his way, and a speed guy who can keep the D honest and keep it from inching too close to the LOS. Kennison is that third guy. He is valuable. Morton could be that solid third down reciever but he is paid way too much as it has been pointed out and someone else could take over that. Gonzo draws the double now. If we had someone like a Marvin Harrison, then one of those guys would be impossible to cover, because you couldn't double both guys.

Next year we get Boerioghter and Kris Wilson back, so that will impact the offense some. Samie Parker has Kennison speed but I don't know if the kid is any good. I think it is possible to get rid of both Morton and Kennison and replace them with cheaper options, but in either case we really should try to get a true No 1 Wide out to compliment on the outside what Gonzo does in the middle of the field. It is, IMO, very possible to do that and also fix the defense in the same offseason. We don't need high priced guys at every position. Just look at the Chargers, they went off and got castoffs to play linebacker for them and Wade Phillips devised a scheme to fit their talents and they are doing a real nice job now. All our front office has to do is be smart about it. We don't need to panic and overpay for the next Carlton Gray just because he's a guy whose available.

If we do the right thing this offseason we could be a real scary team next year. If we don't then the Carl Peterson-Dick Vermeil era will have been a total waste of 5 years...

KingPriest2
12-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Exactly...plus too many injuries, too many drops and too many fumbles

He's having a good season, but this offseason is the time to let him go. You don't wait until his decline costs you more games. Now is the time to cut Kennison and Morton.

Like I said before he has only been injured once and fumbled once so you really can't say that

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-06-2004, 07:43 AM
We need a better WR. Just one.
Samie Parker?

Wile_E_Coyote
12-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Kennison is a legit deep threat. Right now(this season) if he went down it would hurt to lose him. I don't see why Horn couldn't do Morton's job if he went down.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Samie Parker?
He's still on the team eh?

Gaz
12-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Of course Kennison needs to stay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot say the same for most of the LBs & CBs.

Molitoth
12-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Its funny how Kennison makes one big play and all of a sudden he needs to stay. He dropped like 5 passes yesterday, he sucks, and he needs to go back to receiver school.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-06-2004, 09:00 AM
He's still on the team eh?
Not a clue...

Alphaman
12-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm quite certain that all of us agree that the Chiefs need to overhaul the defense. I think many who don't want to part with Kennison, are afraid if we do, we won't get the defensive changes that are necessary. Any offensive player we sign or draft will be viewed by many as a defensive player that did not get signed or drafted.

I'm in the improve the entire team camp. For me that means that most of the focus should be on defense. Here are the 4 players I think we should and can sign based on the cap (considering signing some offensive players as well): Gary Baxter, Darren Howard, Edgerton Hartwell and Kendrell Bell.

However, as we analyze the defense and see we need a shutdown CB, better tackling and more instinctive LBs and a pass rushing DE, if we analyze the offense, it's obvious that the weak link of the offense is the WR position.

So here are the offensive free agents I'd target: Jerry Porter and David Terrell. Signing those two would greatly improve our offense as would the previous 4 greatly improve our defense.

Draft - Based on where we are currently drafting 9th or 10th:

Round 1 Ahmad Brooks - LB - Virginia
Round 2 Carlos Rogers - CB - Auburn

Now, if we can get a good QB propect in this draft we should. Also, given won't likely resign Blaylock, we need a RB in the middle rounds of this draft. Wilson will likely be the backup FB as well as the 3rd TE. We should draft a FB in the 6th round to place on the practice squad (in case of injury to Richardson or Wilson).

Round 3 (assuming we don't ship it Philly for Welbourne) David Greene - QB - Georgia
Round 3b (assuming compensatory pick for Tait) Anthony Davis - RB - Wisconsin
Round 5 Chris Canty - DE - Virginia - injury late in season drops him from 2nd round pick.
Round 6 FB

In my mind, that plan improves the entire team.