PDA

View Full Version : Johnson gets a game ball..

Gaz
12-06-2004, 10:31 AM
He had a very good day. Ran with power and showed some speed. He is not Holmes or Blaylock, but I enjoyed watching him yesterday.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for the young man.

Brock
12-06-2004, 10:33 AM
He's not Holmes, but he's better than Blaylock.

MichaelH
12-06-2004, 10:33 AM
It's simply amazing what a player can do if you let him off the bench and allow him do what he's paid to do.

shakesthecat
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
If Holmes were to retire after this season, I'd be very comfortable with LJ as the starter.

KCTitus
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
He showed some good speed in the open field. That swing pass catch he ran for a TD was well run.

alpha_omega
12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Reason to hope for '05

JazzzLovr
12-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I just figured out why Vlad was in such a pissy mood over the win.

Logical
12-06-2004, 10:38 AM
I am happy for the team but not for that POS LJ. I will never like the whiny little bitch but when he does well for the team that is great. Hopefully when it comes to his next contract negotiation Carl screws his azz.

Ultra Peanut
I dunno. He ran well, but his running style doesn't look very good. It's just not... reassuring. I prefer Priest's style.

JazzzLovr
I am happy for the team but not for that POS LJ. I will never like the whiny little bitch but when he does well for the team that is great. Hopefully when it come to his next contract negotiation Carl screws his azz.

ROFL Excellent timing.

Hoover
12-06-2004, 10:39 AM
He is a first round rb, and it is just stupid that he has been third sting this season. He and a legit beef with DV. Why draft his ass in the first round, and then let a FA to be nail down the #2 spot.

I really think he needs to be involved in our offense next season, let Priest be the starter and then have LJ spell Priest to keep him fresh.

Brock
12-06-2004, 10:40 AM
I dunno. He ran well, but his running style doesn't look very good. It's just not... reassuring. I prefer Priest's style.

ROFL ROFL

Brock
I really think he needs to be involved in our offense next season, let Priest be the starter and then have LJ spell Priest to keep him fresh.

Gee, yathink?

Wile_E_Coyote
I thought it looked like he was stumbling. They showed a slow-mo replay & he wasn't stumbling he was changing direction. It looks weird

Gaz
12-06-2004, 10:43 AM
ROFL Excellent timing.

Did you call it or what?

xoxo~
Gaz
Giving it up for Planet Cassandra.

Hoover
12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Gee, yathink?
Well I for one have defended LJ all fu@king year, not just after he has a good game. I still don't like that we drafted the guy, but since we did we should get him on the field.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't care what his style looked like. You don't get points for style in the NFL. LJ looked good out there yesterday.

As for what happens next year: If Priest comes back, they will most likely let Derrick Blaylock become a free agent. And he will most likely become a starter for some other team in dire need of a RB. i.e. Miami.
If Priest decides to retire(a small possibility, IMO), I'm guessing the Chiefs will try to keep Blaylock and let he and Johnson compete for the 1st string tailback position. Either way, I feel really good about our RBs for next year. :)

Logical
12-06-2004, 10:48 AM
I just figured out why Vlad was in such a pissy mood over the win.

Actually this thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105772) explains my pissy mood about the game. I did not watch the game so I did not see LJs performance and spent time with the family instead.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Actually this thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105772) explains my pissy mood about the game. I did not watch the game so I did not see LJs performance and spent time with the family instead.

it was like 5 yards a pop, very nice

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Actually this thread (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105772) explains my pissy mood about the game. I did not watch the game so I did not see LJs performance and spent time with the family instead.Oh...

KCTitus
12-06-2004, 11:00 AM
...I did not watch the game...

Nice...yet that didnt stop you to offer your critique on him in this thread.

That is pure genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

Brock
12-06-2004, 11:01 AM
I did not watch the game.

We can tell.

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 11:02 AM
LJ was just LJ, nothing special. He didn't do anything any of the other HB's we have couldn't do.

Servicable....that's it.

It was a wasted pick that we must live with ......

JazzzLovr
12-06-2004, 11:04 AM

Well, my post was just a joke about your long-running (no pun intended) distaste for LJ, which you only demonstrated in the post that followed it.

I saw your thread. I find it somewhat ironic that it was written by the same person who once replied to one of my posts with a list of our first round draft picks for the past 10 or 15 years in an effort to prove how many picks have been wasted. Face it, the higher the draft pick, the more pissed off you're gonna be when the Chiefs' pick at that position doesn't appear to make any sense.

We win, you bitch about draft order.
We lose, you bitch about our pick later.

Congratulations. You seem to have all the bases covered. You can be in a pissy mood for quite some time. :thumb:

David.
LJ was just LJ, nothing special. He didn't do anything any of the other HB's we have couldn't do.

Servicable....that's it.

yeah 150+ yards and 2 touchdowns. CHICKEN SHIT. Hell I could probably do that.

:rolleyes: maybe we should start Scanlon at HB.

the Talking Can
I'm most surprised by his speed..he has long strides so it doesn't look like he is running fast....but runs away from people in open space.

He doesn't have Priest's ankles (cutting ability) but he has a pretty sweet combo of speed and power. And when DV leaves next year our new coach can start over with a talented RB.

Its funny to listen to commentators rave about Jackson in St. Louis....imho, Johnson is the same back, only faster...

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:05 AM

Servicable....that's it.

Agreed.

He did run against the Raiders, people seem to forget/disregard that.
That's like judging Blaylock according to his NO performance. He is NOT a 200 YPG rusher.

Ultra Peanut
"LJ ain't no Scanlon, I'll tell you bitches that much right now!"

David.
He is NOT a 200 YPG rusher.

metro knows this because he's seen LJ in his numerous other starts. Forget the fact he ran well against the number 2 defense in the league last week.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Clearly, “serviceable” does not mean what I thought it did.

xoxo~
Gaz
Laboring under a false definition.

Hoover
12-06-2004, 11:06 AM

Servicable....that's it.

lol, Blaylock looked like crap yesterday.

shakesthecat
12-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Servicable....that's it.

Did you actually watch the game?

Brock
Johnson will be here for a long time. Blaylock is leaving. Get used to it.

the Talking Can
Agreed.

He did run against the Raiders, people seem to forget/disregard that.
That's like judging Blaylock according to his NO performance. He is NOT a 200 YPG rusher.

I doubt anyone claimed he was a 200 YPG rusher.

Better get used to him, cause he's staying and Blaylock is leaving.

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I am happy for the team but not for that POS LJ. I will never like the whiny little bitch but when he does well for the team that is great.

I like LJ even if he is a whiny bitch.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:08 AM
I like LJ even if he is a whiny bitch.

:stupid:

David.
12-06-2004, 11:09 AM
actually I'm not "with" stupid. I was just pointing out the fact that you're stupid.

the Talking Can
I am happy for the team but not for that POS LJ. I will never like the whiny little bitch but when he does well for the team that is great. Hopefully when it comes to his next contract negotiation Carl screws his azz.

you're a whiny bitch and we like you...

Pants
metro knows this because he's seen LJ in his numerous other starts. Forget the fact he ran well against the number 2 defense in the league last week.

I guess by #2 you mean #28. It's OK I understand. I said we shouldn't judge him by this game like we shouldn't judge Blaylock by the NO game. Dumb mizzou frosh.

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Well I for one have defended LJ all fu@king year, not just after he has a good game. I still don't like that we drafted the guy, but since we did we should get him on the field.

Letting first round picks not play year after year is waste of a first round pick, makes no sense.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:10 AM
I guess by #2 you mean #28. It's OK I understand. I said we shouldn't judge him by this game like we shouldn't judge Blaylock by the NO game. Dumb mizzou frosh.

good thing I wasn't talking about Oakland. SD is number 2. Nice try though. Slipped and fell on your ass, but that's to be expected from a Gayhawker.

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
actually I'm not "with" stupid. I was just pointing out the fact that you're stupid.

You are stupid.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
You are stupid.

ULTIMATE DISS

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Crap, all I said was the truth. It was the Raiders people, like it was the Saints for Blaylock.

PH could of had a career day against either of those 2 teams, it just turns out LJ and Blaylock did too !

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:13 AM
yeah 150+ yards and 2 touchdowns. CHICKEN SHIT. Hell I could probably do that.

I'd love to see you try.

Pants
good thing I wasn't talking about Oakland. SD is number 2. Nice try though. Slipped and fell on your ass, but that's to be expected from a Gayhawker.

Are you fvcking stupid? We are talking about the Raiders game...
Blaylock ran better in the SD game. Now, please stfu.

David.
I'd love to see you try.

I'd love to see you die.

ok I wouldn't love to see you die.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 11:14 AM
you're a whiny bitch and we like you...

No, we don’t…

xoxo~
Gaz
Being contrary, just because he can.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Are you fvcking stupid? We are talking about the Raiders game...
Blaylock ran better in the SD game. Now, please stfu.

Is this gonna turn into another thread where everyone makes you look like an ass?

nmt1
12-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Crap, all I said was the truth. It was the Raiders people, like it was the Saints for Blaylock.

PH could of had a career day against either of those 2 teams, it just turns out LJ and Blaylock did too !

You're right, it was just the Raiders. Apparently you missed his performance against San Diego.

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Is this gonna turn into another thread where everyone makes you look like an ass?

Blaylock 8 rushes for 57 yards, 2 TDs
Jonson 10 rushes for 43 yards, 1 TD

Please explain how I'm an ass by saying that Blaylock ran better?

David.
12-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Blaylock 8 rushes for 57 yards, 2 TDs
Jonson 10 rushes for 43 yards, 1 TD

Please explain how I'm an ass by saying that Blaylock ran better?

great he ran "better"(barely, and most of his yards were on a 22 yard run with a hole the size of your mothers ass) what about the Raider game where Blaylock got knocked around like a bitch? He's too small. LJ is the future get used to it.

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:25 AM
great he ran "better"(barely, and most of his yards were on a 22 yard run with a hole the size of your mothers ass) what about the Raider game where Blaylock got knocked around like a bitch? He's too small. LJ is the future get used to it.

LMAO, when did I say he wasn't the future. I said we shouldn't judge by the Faiders game. You can seriosly stop sucking his dick now.

BTW, LJ's yards came from a 13 yard run with a decent hole as well and some nice blocking. Now go sit down and don't talk anymore.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
LMAO, when did I say he wasn't the future. I said we shouldn't judge by the Faiders game. You can seriosly stop sucking his dick now.

BTW, LJ's yards came from a 13 yard run with a decent hole as well and some nice blocking. Now go sit down and don't talk anymore.

we shouldn't judge by the raiders game, but we SHOULD judge by the chargers game(a game where there was little difference in who ran)

yeah.....that makes since :hmmm:

jspchief
12-06-2004, 11:27 AM

You're missing the point. Yes, he ran well against a shitty Raiders D. But he also ran well against a good SD D. So far he's performed well in both games where he's been given a significant amount of carries. What else can we ask for at this point?

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:28 AM
we shouldn't judge by the raiders game, but we SHOULD judge by the chargers game(a game where there was little difference in who ran)

yeah.....that makes since :hmmm:

You are ****ing stupid man, jesus. We shouldn't judge by SD's #2 defense because friggin Blaylock ran just as well as LJ. ****ing MUrons.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:29 AM
You are ****ing stupid man, jesus. We shouldn't judge by SD's #2 defense because friggin Blaylock ran just as well as LJ. ****ing MUrons.

okay then we'll judge by the raider game where blaylock got JACKED UP. and LJ gained 150 yards+ and 2 touchdowns.

ROFL

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:31 AM
okay then we'll judge by the raider game where blaylock got JACKED UP. and LJ gained 150 yards+ and 2 touchdowns.

ROFL

So because Blaylock got speared (see, illegal) and was injured that means he couldn't have ran as well as LJ. OK.

ROFL

the Talking Can
12-06-2004, 11:31 AM
metrolike and david need to **** (rhymes with suck)

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
metrolike and david need to ****

I dont want that midget.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
metrolike and david need to ****Maybe they can arrange a "four bedpost match" with Scanlon & Roy.

Dartgod
12-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Cripple fight!!

David.
12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
So because Blaylock got speared (see, illegal) and was injured that means he couldn't have ran as well as LJ. OK.

ROFL

He came back out and got JACKED UP. He's just too small. I'm not talking about height like Priest. His frame just isn't big enough for an NFL rb. Good thing we had a big capable back in LJ or else we would have lost the raider game because DB IMO is too small to hack it.

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Ain't no fight, just trying to make people see how it is. LJ could be hella good, but IMO he hasn't proven it yet.

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:37 AM
He came back out and got JACKED UP. He's just too small. I'm not talking about height like Priest. His frame just isn't big enough for an NFL rb. Good thing we had a big capable back in LJ or else we would have lost the raider game because DB IMO is too small to hack it.

Oh, so the size the problem. I agree that Blaylock isn't big, but he makes up in speed and agility for that. He got hit in the HEAD illegaly, that could happen to Priest just as easily.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Oh, so the size the problem. I agree that Blaylock isn't big, but he makes up in speed and agility for that. He got hit in the HEAD illegaly, that could happen to Priest just as easy.

illegal ismeagel.....

I have to go to class.

I assume we're all in agreement that I'm right and therefore win. MU>KU

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I wish I'd have seen the game. I've yet to see Johnson run and look confident with my own eyes.

I'm glad he's improving and giving some looks at potential. It never made sense to me for Vermeil to bash him, if they had any intention of trading him for more than some used Hubba Bubba.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
In summation...

Call me Ismeagel.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
In summation...

Call me Ismeagel.

no problem Ismeagel

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Thank you, David..

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 11:40 AM
You're right, it was just the Raiders. Apparently you missed his performance against San Diego.

It appeared to me neither of them did well against San Diego ?

So your point again is ?

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Oh, so the size the problem. I agree that Blaylock isn't big.

Please, to much information.

Pants
illegal ismeagel.....

I have to go to class.

I assume we're all in agreement that I'm right and therefore win. MU>KU

LMAO, you assume you are right? Hahahahaha. Your argument: "illegal ismeagel", ROFL you are saying if Priest got inured in the same way you'd say he did worse than LJ? ROFL

*Notice my use of the smilies, just like David, I'm soo cool.

Logical
Nice...yet that didnt stop you to offer your critique on him in this thread.

That is pure genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

All I said on this thread about him was:

That is not a critique on his performance, in fact that would indicate I understand he had a good game for the team.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Cripple fight!!

That made me laugh out loud.

I had to turn it into a coughing fit because the cubicle gophers were giving me the eye.

xoxo~
Gaz
Working stiff [heh, those double entendres never get old].

Rausch
I might mess this up, but try and stay with me: don't most RB's do good against poor defenses, and poor against good defenses?

So if our RB's do poor against the Titans staunch Run defense, that wouldn't mean they were bad RB's.

jettio
LJ has good speed and vision. Does seem to get tripped up in traffic even if not directly hit.

I would say that he is a back that is above average, and like most NFL backs, the OC needs to take in consideration his particular skills when calling plays. Since he has big feet and is a long strider, it would be better to call plays where his first cut is by design behind the line of scrimmage.

He seems to be able to make one guy miss, but not in traffic.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:43 AM
LMAO, you assume you are right? Hahahahaha. Your argument: "illegal ismeagel", ROFL you are saying if Priest got inured in the same way you'd say he did worse than LJ? ROFL

*Notice my use of the smilies, just like David, I'm soo cool.

you ackin like a lil bitch right now

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:44 AM

Prove me wrong first, and I'll stop acting like you.

the Talking Can
12-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I might mess this up, but try and stay with me: don't most RB's do good against poor defenses, and poor against good defenses?

So if our RB's do poor against the Titans staunch Run defense, that wouldn't mean they were bad RB's.

hey, no one ordered logic....keep you wisdom and sanity to yourself, thank you

quit trying to ruin a sweet chick fight

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 11:45 AM
That's better with the animated gif.

nmt1
12-06-2004, 11:45 AM
It appeared to me neither of them did well against San Diego ?

So your point again is ?

You really didn't watch the game did you? If you watched the game you would've seen Johnson run tough and run well. He even scored a TD on a wonderfully executed play. If you choose to only pay attention to the stats, so be it.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
you ackin like a lil bitch right now That's better with the animated gif.Hey, homie, you need some help?

Logical
12-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Well, my post was just a joke about your long-running (no pun intended) distaste for LJ, which you only demonstrated in the post that followed it.

I saw your thread. I find it somewhat ironic that it was written by the same person who once replied to one of my posts with a list of our first round draft picks for the past 10 or 15 years in an effort to prove how many picks have been wasted. Face it, the higher the draft pick, the more pissed off you're gonna be when the Chiefs' pick at that position doesn't appear to make any sense.

We win, you bitch about draft order.
We lose, you bitch about our pick later.

Congratulations. You seem to have all the bases covered. You can be in a pissy mood for quite some time. :thumb:

I have said I like the following first round picks from Carl. DT, Shields, Dale Carter, Woods, Gonzo, Riley, Tait and Sims.

I have also said that Carl has wasted the Riley and Tait picks by letting them go to other teams. So based on that he has had 6 decent picks out of 16 years which is not a very good record. Had he kept Riley and Tait that would make it 8 out of 16 which would be almost adequate. Course he is only about 1 for 16 in the 2nd round which was also in that post.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:47 AM

I don't have to prove YOU wrong. You came in here saying LJ isn't as good as DB. You have to prove ME wrong. You start it, you supply evidence that's how it works.

Anyways, I don't want to take anything away from DB he's a fantastic COP back. But, IMO he can't handle a full season. Hell, he couldn't even handle one game. You can say the hit was "illegal" but there was no penalty and there will probably not be a fine. The fact is, hits like that happen all the time. Priest will take a hit like that, jump up and run for 30 yards. DB got knocked the **** out.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey, homie, you need some help?
Perfect.

David.
Hey, homie, you need some help?

yeah the search function is broken, and I'm at the library. Much obliged Ismeagel.

nmt1
I have said I like the following first round picks from Carl. DT, Shields, Dale Carter, Woods, Gonzo, Riley, Tait and Sims.

I have also said that Carl has wasted the Riley and Tait picks by letting them go to other teams. So based on that he has had 6 decent picks out of 16 years which is not a very good record. Had he kept Riley and Tait that would make it 8 out of 16 which would be almost adequate. Course he is only about 1 for 16 in the 2nd round which was also in that post.

I believe Shields was a 3rd round pick actually.

Cormac
The big plus that Johnson has is tons of speed. He needs room to get going, but I like his vision, and if he gets a hole to run through, he has home run speed. He played a great game yesterday. Still, I'd really like to be able to keep Blaylock also. He runs so hard, and is better in traffic than LJ. We could be in good shape for a long time [beyond Priest], if we can hold on to both of them.

David.
12-06-2004, 11:49 AM
great, now I'm late for class :mad:

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 11:49 AM

I think you both should go outside, stick your tongue on a lightpole and the last one off, wins.

Fairplay
12-06-2004, 11:50 AM

Please stay.

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 11:50 AM
You really didn't watch the game did you? If you watched the game you would've seen Johnson run tough and run well. He even scored a TD on a wonderfully executed play. If you choose to only pay attention to the stats, so be it.

I clearly watched the game, all the games. LJ, Blaylock, PH, they all run hard, they are suppose to.

But as for yesterday,LJ didn't do anything stellar, he did his well, but again, he did nothing that PH or a healthy Blaylock couldn't had done. Blaylock getting his bell rung took him out of the game.

LJ stepped in and did a good job, like he was suppose to do.

nmt1
12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
I clearly watched the game, all the games. LJ, Blaylock, PH, they all run hard, they are suppose to.

But as for yesterday,LJ didn't do anything stellar, he did his well, but again, he did nothing that PH or a healthy Blaylock couldn't had done. Blaylock getting his bell rung took him out of the game.

LJ stepped in and did a good job, like he was suppose to do.

So your saying Larry Johnson against the Chargers and Raiders is not any different than Larry Johnson in any other game he's played in?

Gaz
12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
The “in traffic” bit is important. Johnson has power and speed once he breaks the line, but he does not have the shifting and cutting ability of Holmes or [to a lesser degree] Blaylock. I believe that Johnson will be our #2 RB next season. I will behoove the Chiefs to work out some alternate blocking schemes to take that into account.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would not call the same plays for Holmes & Johnson.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Bah.. might as well skip.

Pants
12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't have to prove YOU wrong. You came in here saying LJ isn't as good as DB. You have to prove ME wrong. You start it, you supply evidence that's how it works.

Anyways, I don't want to take anything away from DB he's a fantastic COP back. But, IMO he can't handle a full season. Hell, he couldn't even handle one game. You can say the hit was "illegal" but there was no penalty and there will probably not be a fine. The fact is, hits like that happen all the time. Priest will take a hit like that, jump up and run for 30 yards. DB got knocked the **** out.

Wow you are still saying that shit? Let me restate it for the 3rd time for the slower ones...

I never said DB was better/worse than LJ. All I was trying to say is that LJ hasn't proven anything yet.

You say LJ did well vs Oakland, I say their D blows. You then say, well he did well against SD's #2 D, I say, well, so did Blaylock, which means LJ didn't have to do much if Blaylock could do better than him against that same #2 D.

SIGH.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
hey, no one ordered logic....keep you wisdom and sanity to yourself, thank you

quit trying to ruin a sweet chick fight

Forgive me. I'm new to this whole using "reason and logic" thing.

Rausch,

fugged up the timing on that whole "up front and honest" thing at first too...

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 11:54 AM
fugged up the timing on that whole "up front and honest" thing at first too...

"Well, of course your sister is more attractive than you--- OW!!"

stevieray
12-06-2004, 11:57 AM

Wanna bet that spear doesn't draw a fine?

Rausch
12-06-2004, 11:58 AM
You say LJ did well vs Oakland, I say their D blows. You then say, well he did well against SD's #2 D, I say, well, so did Blaylock, which means LJ didn't have to do much if Blaylock could do better than him against that same #2 D.

SIGH.

I was with you up until here. I don't understand the "we can't say he IS good based on the fact someone else played good" reasoning.

I like to think someone is good at their position if they play good more often than poorly. Perhaps an 8 or 9 game to 1 ratio...

So far we've seen LJ in two games. Really, 1 and 1/4 games. So far, on early results, he's played great. That's too early to say he's a stud, but the evidence is pointing to him being a good back.

His blocking, if you watched him block, clearly needs to improve. No argument. But is there anything about his ball carrying skills, to this point, that would lead you to believe he ISN'T going to be a good back?

Rausch
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
"Well, of course your sister is more attractive than you--- OW!!"

Yes. Apparently "be honest" is woman-speak for "cover your genitals with both hands."

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
So your saying Larry Johnson against the Chargers and Raiders is not any different than Larry Johnson in any other game he's played in?

Same player..... Gaz has it nailed right on. LJ takes more time to wind up his run, not a PH, Blaylock, shifty type that can find the hole and then accelerate. LJ has to have the hole wide open and then excel thru it, turning on the speed and power,2 different style of running backs.

LJ can be a good servicable back for us as long as we continue to open big holes for him, BTA, can't most HB's do this ?

LJ is not a stellar player. He will give maximun effort with the talents he has, but the offensive line must open the holes big enough for a truck to go thru for him to excel.

Logical
12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
The “in traffic” bit is important. Johnson has power and speed once he breaks the line, but he does not have the shifting and cutting ability of Holmes or [to a lesser degree] Blaylock. I believe that Johnson will be our #2 RB next season. I will behoove the Chiefs to work out some alternate blocking schemes to take that into account.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would not call the same plays for Holmes & Johnson.

I Definitely agree with Gaz on this subject.
Vlad
Disappointed but expecting Blaylock to be gone

Pants
12-06-2004, 12:03 PM
I was with you up until here. I don't understand the "we can't say he IS good based on the fact someone else played good" reasoning.

I like to think someone is good at their position if they play good more often than poorly. Perhaps an 8 or 9 game to 1 ratio...

So far we've seen LJ in two games. Really, 1 and 1/4 games. So far, on early results, he's played great. That's too early to say he's a stud, but the evidence is pointing to him being a good back.

His blocking, if you watched him block, clearly needs to improve. No argument. But is there anything about his ball carrying skills, to this point, that would lead you to believe he ISN'T going to be a good back?

Because I thought it was due to SD's poor run D that enabled both backs to do well. Blaylock is decent and he ran well vs SD, and IMO LJ hasn't shown me anything to make me think he's better than DB. That was my reasoning, once again coming back to the argument that RB's can't be judged by 2 games they did well in.

morphius
12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Vlad
But hey, it will give you more money to spend on your D, so which do you prefer, Blaylock or the chance to improve your D?

NewChief
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't see how anyone can possibly hope to decide whether LJ is good, bad, stellar, or poor based on two games. So far, I'm encouraged, but I'll need a larger sampling of him on the field before I'm willing to call it one way or the other.

I do have to agree that he is deceptively fast. He doesn't look like he's moving with that much speed until you see people trying to catch him, and he keeps gaining on them. If you've ever seen Matt Jones from U of Arkansas run, it's sort of the same type of deceptive speed with a long-legged stride. I think the comparisons to Jackson from St. Louis are equally justified. Finally, I really liked seeing what he could do on short yardage situations. Dude knows how to fall forward and gain that extra yard.

In the negative, he did get tripped up and run into his blockers quite a few times. If he can fix that, he'll be even more deadly, because this is slowing him down. He's a downhill runner. He needs to hit the hole full speed and keep moving. Getting tripped up or running into blockers takes away his momentum, which takes away his strength as a runner.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Vlad

Well, we seem to only have two options: Sign Blaylock and trade LJ, or keep LJ and let Blaylock move on (I would expect to Chicago or the Cards were he could compete for a starting job.)

Of those two options, keeping LJ is probably the cheapest (we don't have to take the hit from the SB in LJ's contract...) and we need the extra $$$ to bring in defensive FA's...

Logical
12-06-2004, 12:10 PM
But hey, it will give you more money to spend on your D, so which do you prefer, Blaylock or the chance to improve your D?

We wasted 5 to 6 mil in cap space this year so IMO the less than a milion we would lose on LJ would not likely be that much of a problem to keep Blaylock. But I know it is not going to happen and have resigned myself to this fate.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Because I thought it was due to SD's poor run D that enabled both backs to do well.

SD does not have a poor Run D. They are no 1 in the AFC and no 2 in the NFL even AFTER we ran big on them.

That was my reasoning, once again coming back to the argument that RB's can't be judged by 2 games they did well in.

Judging them on 2 games alone is a poor idea, I agree.

But Blaylock has run good in limited action last year, and then again in full game and limited action this year. He's gotten a lot of carries over the last two years, and based on that, I'd give him a B or B+ rating.

On a team with a solid O Line I think he'd be a 1,000 yard rusher. Nothing outstanding, probably no probowler, but solid. JMO.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-06-2004, 12:15 PM
... Finally, I really liked seeing what he could do on short yardage situations. Dude knows how to fall forward and gain that extra yard.

when he is in a pile, he seems to squirt out the other side, doesn't land where he is hit

Logical
12-06-2004, 12:15 PM

On a team with a solid O Line I think he'd be a 1,000 yard rusher. Nothing outstanding, probably no probowler, but solid. JMO.

I think on a team with an o-line like KCs he could be 1300 yard rusher and get 50 catches for around 500 yards. Better than just average, but as you said probably not a Probowler. He just does not have the nose for the endzone that Priest does.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
I think on a team with an o-line like KCs he could be 1300 yard rusher and get 50 catches for around 500 yards. Better than just average, but as you said probably not a Probowler. He just does not have the nose for the endzone that Priest does.

Outside of Emmit Smith, who does?

:)

StcChief
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Let's see how LJ does in the remaining games.
A good day against the Raiders, though.
Game ball?

SD away will be a test.

Calcountry
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Either way, we can deal Blaylock or LJ for some help on D.

I would say, deal Blaylock.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Either way, we can deal Blaylock or LJ for some help on D.

I would say, deal Blaylock.

Nope. Blaylock will be a free agent after this season.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah, Blaylock walks free and clear. He is good enough to play somewhere, perhaps as a starter. So he is not going to stick around and be the #3 RB behind Johnson.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees no home for DB in KC.

JazzzLovr
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
We wasted 5 to 6 mil in cap space this year so IMO the less than a milion we would lose on LJ would not likely be that much of a problem to keep Blaylock. But I know it is not going to happen and have resigned myself to this fate.

http://gloverlab.biochem.ualberta.ca/~dave/bmn/Source%20Files/eeyore-rainwallpaper.jpg

Dartgod
12-06-2004, 01:19 PM
If Blaylock signs as a FA with another team and becomes a starter, we will get a decent comp pick (3rd round?) the following year won't we?

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
http://gloverlab.biochem.ualberta.ca/~dave/bmn/Source%20Files/eeyore-rainwallpaper.jpg ROFL

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
If Blaylock signs as a FA with another team and becomes a starter, we will get a decent comp pick (3rd round?) the following year won't we?

Probably not that high. I'd expect a 6th, maybe a 5th. He wasn't a starter for us, and the comp picks aren't usually that hight anyway.

Dartgod
12-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Probably not that high. I'd expect a 6th, maybe a 5th. He wasn't a starter for us, and the comp picks aren't usually that hight anyway.
So we would get something then? I guess assuming he became a starter.

Brock
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Frankly, I doubt any team is going to sign Blaylock with the intention of making him a starter.

nmt1
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Game ball?

Q: Did Larry Johnson surprise you?

VERMEIL: “No, in fact, you could see it. When Derrick (Blaylock) got decked like he did, and we were playing Larry in there, you could just see him gaining confidence and power. He was generating energy every time he touched the ball. You could feel it. He just got a game ball – first one.”

Source (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/06/chiefsraiders_postgame_quotes/)

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Frankly, I doubt any team is going to sign Blaylock with the intention of making him a starter.

It wouldn't suprise me.

HolmeZz
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
I really loved the open-field speed I saw out of LJ, as well as the patience he showed in waiting for blocks to develop. No, he doesn't have the cut-back ability backs like Priest or D-Lock have, but that's because he's a completely different type of back. They're small and have a low center of gravity. They have to cut alot to be successful. LJ's a nice big running back with adequate speed. If I had to compare him to another NFL back, I'd compare him to Chris Brown.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:47 PM
LJ's a nice big running back with adequate speed. If I had to compare him to another NFL back, I'd compare him to Chris Brown.

I'd say Robert Smith (former Viking), Stephen Jackson (current Lamb), or Deuce McAlister (Saints.)

HolmeZz
12-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd say Robert Smith (former Viking), Stephen Jackson (current Lamb), or Deuce McAlister (Saints.)

I probably wouldn't make any of those comparisons :p

Smith was around the same size, but I don't think there running styles are all that alike. And Smith was alot quicker from what I remember.

Again, similar size as Jackson, but I think the running styles are vastly different. Stephen's faster and has the ability to actually bowl over defenders. LJ hasn't shown me a willingness to take a defender head on like that.

I guess Deuce is the closest of the comparisons you made, but I think Deuce is just too good at this point to really compare him to LJ. Running styles are very similar, although Deuce is quicker hitting the hole and has better moves in the open field.

jspchief
12-06-2004, 02:39 PM

I agree. I don't expect there to be a big bidding war for him. His resume just doesn't have enough on it. There are a lot RBs that will be available this year, and between them and the draft, I don't see Blaylock being heavily pursued. I wouldn't be suprised we ended up resigning him simply because he won't cost that much.

chiefz
12-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I have to say his success doesn't surprise me, watching him run over people in the Big Ten prepared me for it.

He has a real knack for dragging defenders a couple of extra yards.

Has real good hands for receiving as well.

LiL stumppy
12-06-2004, 03:14 PM
He better than Blaylock and hes going to be a stud.He's faster than Holmes,can run over people.And his vision and improved a crap lot.

Logical
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Outside of Emmit Smith, who does?

:)Active nobody, but don't forget Marcus Allen on that list.

Logical
12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Q: Did Larry Johnson surprise you?

VERMEIL: “No, in fact, you could see it. When Derrick (Blaylock) got decked like he did, and we were playing Larry in there, you could just see him gaining confidence and power. He was generating energy every time he touched the ball. You could feel it. He just got a game ball – first one.”

Source (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/06/chiefsraiders_postgame_quotes/)

Holy shit the Chiefs have found Fusion and its name is Larry (F*cking) JohnsonROFL

KCTitus
12-06-2004, 03:33 PM
and it's just like that damned Carl Peterson to keep it under wraps to the detriment of society!

Pants
12-06-2004, 03:33 PM
He better than Blaylock and hes going to be a stud.He's faster than Holmes,can run over people.And his vision and improved a crap lot.

Huh? :spock:

HolmeZz
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
He improved the quality of his crap. What's so hard to understand?

Logical
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
He improved the quality of his crap. What's so hard to understand?

Good thing too, I heard Najah Davenport was leading the league in quality crap.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Good thing too, I heard Najah Davenport was leading the league in quality crap.
Ha. I don't think I'll ever tire of Najeh Davenport jokes.

penchief
12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm most surprised by his speed..he has long strides so it doesn't look like he is running fast....but runs away from people in open space.

He doesn't have Priest's ankles (cutting ability) but he has a pretty sweet combo of speed and power. And when DV leaves next year our new coach can start over with a talented RB.

Its funny to listen to commentators rave about Jackson in St. Louis....imho, Johnson is the same back, only faster...

No, he doesn't have Priest's ankles but he does have the ability to make people miss, especially in the open field when he's moving full speed. It is subtle and economical (maybe more in the hips) but I have seen it too often at PSU. One minute he's moving straight ahead, the next he's made a defender miss wihtout the herky jerky motions of most elusive backs. Then he's off and running. The dude has a lot of speed. I am confident that all of you will see this before the season is over. I am enjoying listening to his critics continue to dig their hole because I know that he's going to prove them wrong.

Mark my words, he will have plenty of 200yd rushing games before his career is over. He rushed for over 2000 yards in his only year as a starter at Penn State. He set the NCAA record with 8.02 yards per carry and scored 26 touchdowns in 12 games.

Other than his "talk to me like a man" comment directed at Vermiel, I don't see where he is a cancer, either. Vermiel was wrong. The kid has a hell of a lot of talent and wants to play. I kinda like that.

I also like him as a kick returner for all of the above mentioned reasons. Once he breaks the line of scrimmage or the wedge he is nifty and fast.

Chief fans should feel pretty good about having a gamebreaker like LJ waiting in the wings.

penchief
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM

I've compared him to Robert Smith. I like that comparison Rausch. If he were playing for Tennessee I believe he'd be doing better the Brown.

Brock
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
I've compared him to Robert Smith. I like that comparison Rausch. If he were playing for Tennessee I believe he'd be doing better the Brown.

He might be as fast as Smith, but he appears to be much more physical against tacklers.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 05:44 PM

I don't think he's as fast, as far as straight line speed, but they are similar backs/have a similar style...

penchief
12-06-2004, 05:49 PM
He might be as fast as Smith, but he appears to be much more physical against tacklers.

I agree. I like the Smith comparison because of the way he eludes defenders while running downhill. I've never liked the Eddie George comparison because of LJ's elusiveness in open areas. You can't average 8 yards a carry, score 26 tds and rush for almost 2100 yards in 12 games unless you've got some game-breaking abilities.

And yes, he does have the power to move the pile. I'm telling you, Johnson is going to be a damn good NFL running back. I was happy when they picked him and I'm confident even Logical will eventually be happy to eat crow once LJ starts breaking 80 yd TD runs.

penchief
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't think he's as fast, as far as straight line speed, but they are similar backs/have a similar style...

Did you see Vermiel's comment on the Official Chief website about how Johnson might be the fastest guy on the team? It was during one of his Q & A sessions. A lot of those 26 touchdowns his senior year were outrunning the defenders to the endzone.

tk13
12-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah he doesn't look "quick" like Priest, but LJ always has kind kinda "sneaky" speed, if that makes any sense. That 34 yard run he had yesterday was the longest run by a Chiefs RB this season.... actually it's the longest run from scrimmage by a Chiefs running back since the 56 yard run where Priest hurt his hip in 2002....

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah he doesn't look "quick" like Priest, but LJ always has kind kinda "sneaky" speed, if that makes any sense. That 34 yard run he had yesterday was the longest run by a Chiefs RB this season.... actually it's the longest run from scrimmage by a Chiefs running back since the 56 yard run where Priest hurt his hip in 2002....

Stop! Stop! Jinx! No!

Ari ümlaüt
12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
"I ran for 2 g's in college... im a running back, thats what I do" LJ

Sure-Oz
12-06-2004, 07:20 PM
I really look forward the remaining few games just to see him play. I hope he continues to do well.

chiefsfolife
12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
dam...we are definetly spoiled now at rb position. Believe me, LJ is the ****in shit, future hall of famer and 4 time superbow winner

Coach
12-07-2004, 02:55 AM
I really look forward the remaining few games just to see him play. I hope he continues to do well.

Well, to me, it looks like LJ graduated from diapers to pull-ups. ;)

KcMizzou
12-07-2004, 04:43 AM
dam...we are definetly spoiled now at rb position. Believe me, LJ is the ****in shit, future hall of famer and 4 time superbow winner Heh, yeah... ok.

I just hope he lives up to the draft pick... it looks like he might. I have high hopes for the guy.

Coach
12-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Heh, yeah... ok.

I just hope he lives up to the draft pick... it looks like he might. I have high hopes for the guy.

I'm hoping he also lives up to the draft pick as well.

Once he gets some experience, he could be darn good when he keeps getting the ball, especially more than 20 times in a game. However, he suprised me on his paitence, especially that one sweep play where he ran the outside and waited for his LT (Roaf) to seal off, and T-Rich to make the other seal for him to spring loose for that TD.

Also the Chiefs, in turn, fed off Johnson's energy. Their three second-half touchdown drives consisted of a total of 20 plays. They handed or threw the ball to Johnson on 10 of them, and he scored twice.

Also Trent said this,

I thought where he did a better job today was from a protection standpoint. There were a few times they brought linebacker blitzes and his responsibility was to get those guys, and he firmed up and didn't let those guys through.

But most importantly, Larry Johnson did what good backs do. He got stronger as the game advanced. You saw him getting 2-3 yards a pop early at the game, but as the game progressed, he's been getting 4 yards and more, especially after contact. There were times he did fall down and ran right behind his own men, but I have seen him lean forward most of the time for that extra yard or two.

Rausch
12-08-2004, 01:43 AM
dam...we are definetly spoiled now at rb position.

And I'm enjoying every minute of it.... :)