PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Help from my Chiefs Brethren

Alphaman
12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking about getting my sons (ages 8 and 5) a video game system for Christmas this year. Which is the best option and why: X-Box, Playstation 2, others?

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
For the kids I'd opt for X-Box (Gates...hatred...must....suppress...) There are no small memory cards to lose and huge storage space for saved games on a built in hard drive.

Plus, the controller is more "kid friendly" in shape.

JMO.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Nintendo Gamecube. There are more games for kids, and I believe its the easiest to learn.

cookster50
12-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes, for that age, Gamecube.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 12:58 PM
I've got a Sega Genesis I'll sell ya cheap.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Yes, for that age, Gamecube.

True. Bigger selection of "kiddie" games, less "Adult" material to have to worry about.

Only difference is that the PS2/XBOX can also be used as a DVD player to toss in "Kiddie movies" and music when appropriate. Dual use is nice when the kids "wanna' see Sponge Bob! I wanna' see Sponge Bob!"

RedNFeisty
12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes, the game cube for kids unless the adults are going to play as well. As for using the XBox and PS2 as dual devices, I would advise against that. We have had to send in our PS2 twice now.........oh, scratch that, it was an older model with a plastic lens and they replaced that with a glass one this time around, but anyway it does shorten the life of the game station.

I prefer the PS2, it looks alot cooler (me being a girl I go for the pretty things)!! Actually, between the two I don't see much of a difference. My girlfriend has an XBox and we tend to play the same games, they look the same, they are only played on different game stations. Hope you enjoyed my two cents! :thumb:

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
I've got an XBox and a PS2. I play my PS2 almost exclusively, but all I play is Sports games.

I just got my GF a Gamecube for her birthday, as she wanted one. We play the old Sonic games, and Mario Kart on it. Its quite fun, even for being so simple. Gamecube does have many of the same "adult" games that PS2/Xbox does.

I don't really care for the PS2 or XBOX as a dvd player. They both make too much noise, and picture quality isn't that great. Panasonic makes a Gamecube that has a DVD player built in. Kinda interesting.

jspchief
12-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Gamecubes are definately for the younger kids. But I think your older boy will grow out of it pretty quick. At 8 yrs old, he has probably heard of games like Halo from his buddies at school. Overall, gamecube sucks because the game titles just don't measure up.

Between Xbox and PS2, I'd say that Xbox is definately better. It offers everything that PS2 offers in terms of features, plus has the bonus of a hard drive. Xbox is starting to kill PS2 in game titles also. There was a time when PS2 offered better games, but that's not really the case anymore.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Gamecubes are definately for the younger kids. But I think your older boy will grow out of it pretty quick. At 8 yrs old, he has probably heard of games like Halo from his buddies at school. Overall, gamecube sucks because the game titles just don't measure up.

Between Xbox and PS2, I'd say that Xbox is definately better. It offers everything that PS2 offers in terms of features, plus has the bonus of a hard drive. Xbox is starting to kill PS2 in game titles also. There was a time when PS2 offered better games, but that's not really the case anymore.
I installed a hard drive in my PS2. :)

I rent games and copy em to the hard drive.

Nubian Nut
12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking about getting my sons (ages 8 and 5) a video game system for Christmas this year. Which is the best option and why: X-Box, Playstation 2, others?

Get them a gift card and let them decide.

Frosty
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
I bought a PS2 for my two boys two years ago when they were 8 and 5 years old. I haven't had any problem finding kid friendly games.

A real plus is that there are tons of the original Playstation games out there super cheap. All it takes is a PS memory card (we keep one of each in the machine all the time).

cookster50
12-06-2004, 01:46 PM
I installed a hard drive in my PS2. :)

Is this possible with XBox?

jynni
12-06-2004, 01:59 PM
We have a PS2 that we bought a few months after they first came out. Haven't had one single problem with it. We use it as a DVD player all the time (by that I mean nearly every single day) - never noticed any problems with picture quality.

It seems that XBox has finally caught up to PS2 in the games department. That used to be their biggest downfall. Both are pretty cheap right now so it's really a toss up.

I'd almost say XBox because it has everything the PS2 has plus just a little more.

I installed a hard drive in my PS2.

Is this possible with XBox?

I'm not sure if this is the same thing. My brother is in Iraq right now and he said that one of the guys over there has rigged his XBox to play every single Nintendo game ever made. He doesn't know how he did it though.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 02:00 PM
With XBox you need a mod chip.

jynni, I wasn't infering there were problems with the PS2 picture quality, it just can't hold a candle to a decent stand alone DVD player.

NewChief
12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Sony PS2 for the award-winning educational titles like Grand Theft Auto.

jynni
12-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Saulbadguy

That's what I figured - I've just never noticed a difference between the PS2 and other DVD players I've seen. Of course, I'm not the most picky about those types of things so I may not be the best judge.

Alphaman
12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the insight. The DVD option is very important.