PDA

View Full Version : NOT FOR CHILDREN, Lying to my daughters face

bogie
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
My 6 year old daughter asked me the other day if Santa is real. I lied to her face and said yes. I suppose I did the right thing, however I honestly felt guilty about lying to her. I don't remember how old I was when I found out Santa wasn't real. But I do remember I was sad when I learned the truth. Anyone reading this that still believes in Santa, I'm just kidding, Santa is real.

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 03:54 PM
dont feel bad she well hate u in about ten years anyway

Molitoth
12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
screw that, shes going to believe you and get made fun of at school. Learning that santa clause isnt real is way better then having the trauma of getting harrassed by classmates at that young age.

Stinger
12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
WTF .......... First the chiefs season goes to pot, now you say there is no Santa. :banghead:

Damnit Carl :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

SPchief
12-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Bullshit I just saw him at the mall

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Clause.

ChiefsOne
12-06-2004, 03:58 PM
My 9 year old still sort of believes. He asked me the other day and I said "yes, I believe in Santa. I have one!"

This is probably the last year, it is fun to have hopes.

Rain Man
When I was seven, my parents told me that Santa had fallen off the roof and impaled himself on the pocketknife that I had been bugging them about. Thinking back about it, I think they decided to take care of two things at once.

ChiefsOne
I would try to keep it going as long as you can. You can word it where you aren't really lying.

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 03:59 PM
A kid has their entire Life to be beaten with the truth once their innocense is taken away. What in the hell could it possibly hurt to let a kid believe such a thing?

There may not be a "man" that drops into houses giving gifts, but there is something about the season.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Most kids figure it out on their own as they get older and never really seem to hold the lies you told them against you. Infact, they usually turn around and tell the same lies to their kids. I think that in most instances it does not present any kind of real problem.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
I gotta agree with Iowanian.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
You mean there is no Channukah Harry?!

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I wonder if Santa has ever been sued by a non-elf for job discrimination. Or is he exempt since he's hiring "special populations?" I bet there's some huge elf-employment tax credit buried in the tax law somewhere, and he's the only one who knows about it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-06-2004, 04:05 PM
What?! Santa isn't real!?????!

YOU'RE LYING!!!!!!

:deevee:

Rukdafaidas
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
You mean there is no Channukah Harry?!
No, but there's hairy Channukah's.

Braincase
I got three believers here, 7, 6, & 3. As long as I can keep telling 'em "Santa's Watching!", I have 'em in line.

ENDelt260
I should really delete this thread before Slayer logs on...

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 04:10 PM
I should really delete this thread before Slayer logs on...

What? You don't care to read another edition of "Observations From Watching Kids At School"?

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 04:12 PM
What? You don't care to read another edition of "Observations From Watching Kids At School"?
I just don't want to ruin his Christmas.

bogie
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM

See that's the problem. I grew up in the midwest and there wasn't a lot of Jewish influence. Out here there are many Jewish children whose parent tell them there's no Santa. I think it's harder to keep the secret. I married a Jewish gal and fortunately she's willing to help keep the lie going.

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I got three believers here, 7, 6, & 3. As long as I can keep telling 'em "Santa's Watching!", I have 'em in line.

When I was little, some guy used to call me all the time and say, "I'm watching you." Santa had a kind of creepy voice, just like that weird old neighbor who used to let me play in his basement.

Logical
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
When I was seven, my parents told me that Santa had fallen off the roof and impaled himself on the pocketknife that I had been bugging them about. Thinking back about it, I think they decided to take care of two things at once.ROFL classic

Rausch
12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't remember how old I was but I remember freaking out because when I went downstairs at my grandparents house Santa was making out with my Uncle's girlfriend on the freezer...

I guess they figured it was better I believed there was no Santa than every now and again Santa gets him a piece while dropping off gifts...

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20041206/lbo041206.gif

InChiefsHell
12-06-2004, 04:55 PM

I thought Channukah started with an H...stupid me...

I told my dad at the age of 7 that I knew Santa wasn't real. He hired a "Santa" and some elves (pretty hot girls, IIRC) to come to the house and ask what I wanted for Christmas. The dude knew my name, age and my TEACHERS' NAME!! I was blown away, and Santa existed for my 7th Christmas. I figured it out the next year, but I appreciated the lengths my dad went to.

It's not a big deal. Your'e kid will not hold it against you, unless she is severely unbalanced...which is a whole other thread...

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 04:56 PM

I told my dad at the age of 7 that I knew Santa wasn't real. He hired a "Santa" and some elves (pretty hot girls, IIRC) to come to the house and ask what I wanted for Christmas. The dude knew my name, age and my TEACHERS' NAME!! I was blown away, and Santa existed for my 7th Christmas. I figured it out the next year, but I appreciated the lengths my dad went to.

It's not a big deal. Your'e kid will not hold it against you, unless she is severely unbalanced...which is a whole other thread...

pretty hot girls??? were they midgets or fullsize elves??

InChiefsHell
12-06-2004, 04:59 PM
pretty hot girls??? were they midgets or fullsize elves??
Full size, as I recall...course, I was only 7, but they did make me feel funny...(Years later I realized that funny=horny...)

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Full size, as I recall...course, I was only 7, but they did make me feel funny...(Years later I realized that funny=horny...)

ahhhhhhhhh
warm and fuzzy what a great feeling

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 05:09 PM
manfire. you took my avatar. now let's check the post totals and see who gets to keep it.

Hmmm.

GIMME MY AVATAR FOOL.

Oh and btw old Saint Nicholas is real... he just died 1,652 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas) years ago, that's all.

InChiefsHell
12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
manfire. you took my avatar. now let's check the post totals and see who gets to keep it.

Hmmm.

GIMME MY AVATAR FOOL.

Oh and btw old Saint Nicholas is real... he just died 1,652 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas) years ago, that's all.

Hey now, you can outgain him in posts and still lose...just look at our Chiefs this season...

...I like my ugly Alice avatar anyway. Fight if you must...

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
uhhhhhhh ur post before mine showed ur avatar as a red x GET UR OWN DAMN AVATAR

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 05:14 PM
uhhhhhhh ur post before mine showed ur avatar as a red x GET UR OWN DAMN AVATAR

Uh, NO. I have the oopsifarted avatar you bastard.How come I can see it? :cuss:

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
u have nothing this is mine ALL MINE HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

chiefs4me
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
My 6 year old daughter asked me the other day if Santa is real. I lied to her face and said yes. I suppose I did the right thing, however I honestly felt guilty about lying to her. I don't remember how old I was when I found out Santa wasn't real. But I do remember I was sad when I learned the truth. Anyone reading this that still believes in Santa, I'm just kidding, Santa is real.

Well somebody lied to you,,,,,Santa is real ;)

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 05:18 PM

Were the girls wearing those little short green elf costumes? Those are great.

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Well somebody lied to you,,,,,Santa is real ;)

Why don't you just SHUT YOUR BIG YAPPER, comma lady.

Sorry I flew off the handle like that. Still upset from the avatar.

:p

2bikemike
I remember when my daughter came to me and said Santa wasn't real.
I asked her well then how do all those presents get under the tree? She said that I put them under the tree. I told her then I must be your Santa and if you ever quit believing in me there won't be any presents under the tree.

Rain Man
If that avatar is public domain, do you mind if I use it too? My avatar seems to have short-circuited.

ChiefsFire
ur not gettin this avatar deal with it

chiefs4me
12-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Why don't you just SHUT YOUR BIG YAPPER, comma lady.

Sorry I flew off the handle like that. Still upset from the avatar.

:p

I have a bone to pick with that little turd who stole your av so let's neg rep himROFL I have a couple of extras if you want one.

And it's a darn good thing your sorry.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:25 PM
I just don't want to ruin his Christmas.

Why the hell not? Are you turning into a kinder, gentler ENDelt or something?

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:27 PM
If that avatar is public domain, do you mind if I use it too? My avatar seems to have short-circuited.
hands off my avatar

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
you guys suck you actually gave me bad rep lol

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 05:29 PM
How can someone neg rep a person with such a cute avatar?

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
How can someone neg rep a person with such a cute avatar?
exactly im lovable :fart:
oooops

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
you guys suck you actually gave me bad rep lol

I'd counter their measly neg rep if you weren't being such a dick about a crayon colored avatar.

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I'd counter their measly neg rep if you weren't being such a dick about a crayon colored avatar.

i was on the verge of giving up this avatar but now NO

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
I have a bone to pick with that little turd who stole your av so let's neg rep himROFL I have a couple of extras if you want one.

Of course, I do hold to the old maxim that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. And considering that chiefs4me causes me great annoyance in my happy place (the Planet), the negative rep will officially be stepped on.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
i was on the verge of giving up this avatar but now NO

Damnit, why do you got to be all contrary and obstinate?

Ooohhh, to rep or not to rep, that is the question......

Alright, who am I to complain about obstinance?

chiefs4me
12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Of course, I do hold to the old maxim that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. And considering that chiefs4me causes me great annoyance in my happy place (the Planet), the negative rep will officially be stepped on.

ROFL

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Ah, see there? You went from one little green box to three.

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Fear Chiefs4meme!! She repped me the other day and hit me with a whopping 11 points.

badgirl
12-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I was glad when my kids found out there was no santa, I was tired of that old bastard getting all the credit, when I was the one forking out all the dough.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Fear Chiefs4meme!! She repped me the other day and hit me with a whopping 11 points.

So that would make her neg rep worth.... 5.5 points. That'll leave a mark.

badgirl
i was on the verge of giving up this avatar but now NOI started an avatar thread and got my ass jumped, better stay low, a lot of guys on here don't want to hear about your avatar problem. :p

Rain Man

That had to hurt.

Hey, you're about to turn 21,000. You'll soon be old enough to drink on Chiefsplanet.

ChiefsFire
I was glad when my kids found out there was no santa, I was tired of that old bastard getting all the credit, when I was the one forking out all the dough.

whatsa matter get a lump of coal in your stocking???

badgirl
12-06-2004, 05:50 PM
whatsa matter get a lump of coal in your stocking???
No a big turd , damn I hate when that happens :banghead:

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
No a big turd , damn I hate when that happens :banghead:
i guess YOU were a bad girl :harumph:

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey manfire, your profile says you heard about us on the radio. What the hell were you listening to?

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey manfire, your profile says you heard about us on the radio. What the hell were you listening to?

Prolly "Avatar Stealers Radio".

badgirl
12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
i guess YOU were a bad girl :harumph:
I guess so, and I have been really bad this year, I can hardly wait and see what I get :hmmm:

stevieray
12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
If Santa dies, we all die.

Merry Christmas.

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 05:58 PM
whitlock was talking smack one day on his show

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Prolly "Avatar Stealers Radio".

Heh heh heh.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
whitlock was talking smack one day on his show

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall a thread talking about him mentioning us.....

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Why the hell not? Are you turning into a kinder, gentler ENDelt or something?
I'm just a big softie.

CosmicPal
12-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for ruining my XMAS, asshats!!

I'm phucking depressed now. Thank gawd I went to the store and bought a season's greetings of eggnog to drink the rest of the month. Now that I know Santa ain't real, I'm drinking it all tonight.

Got any more secrets to expose, Sherlock!?!

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 06:08 PM
are ya all happy now??? is this avatar acceptable???????

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm just a big softie.

That's what she said.....

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 06:09 PM

I'm phucking depressed now. Thank gawd I went to the store and bought a season's greetings of eggnog to drink the rest of the month. Now that I know Santa ain't real, I'm drinking it all tonight.

Well, you know the story about the Easter bunny? Yeah, not quite true. It is actually an Easter Jackalope.

badgirl
12-06-2004, 06:10 PM

Sorry to tell you , but , get ready and sit down, there is NO Easter Bunny either. :shake:

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 06:11 PM
That's what she said.....
Yeah, but you can't really believe anything Scanfan says.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah, but you can't really believe anything Scanfan says.

Actually, it was the hippo who told me this.

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah, I vaguely recall a thread talking about him mentioning us.....

I do too, I'll go get that thread with the Search Func... oh that's right.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Actually, it was the hippo who told me this.
Bahahahaha.

Did you two have a nice chat?

FloridaChief
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM

Just one...

The Chiefs are gonna win just enough games this year to screw us out of the greatest draft pick ever. They will do this deliberately despite knowing that if they would lay down and die the rest of this season, they are stone-guarenteed to draft the next Derrick Thomas and ride to the '05 Super Bowl.

Pisser, huh?

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Bahahahaha.

Did you two have a nice chat?

Yes we did.

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Just one...

The Chiefs are gonna win just enough games this year to screw us out of the greatest draft pick ever. They will do this deliberately despite knowing that if they would lay down and die the rest of this season, they are stone-guarenteed to draft the next Derrick Thomas and ride to the '05 Super Bowl.

Pisser, huh?

Derrick Thomas IS Santa Claus.

FloridaChief
12-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Derrick Thomas IS Santa Claus.

And someday, you will ache as I ache...

Jenson71
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I clearly remember Matt Becker telling the whole class in 2nd grade during lunch one day that there was no Santa. That it was just our parents who bought crap and put it under the tree at night. I wasn't too shocked by it, but still asked my mom if there was a Santa. She asked me what I thought. I said, "I don't think so." And then she told me that that was the truth, there really wasn't. I wasn't too upset, but then I guess I was 8...Not sure what a 6 year old would think. Kids are growing up fast these days...

bogie
12-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I clearly remember Matt Becker telling the whole class in 2nd grade during lunch one day that there was no Santa. That it was just our parents who bought crap and put it under the tree at night. I wasn't too shocked by it, but still asked my mom if there was a Santa. She asked me what I thought. I said, "I don't think so." And then she told me that that was the truth, there really wasn't. I wasn't too upset, but then I guess I was 8...Not sure what a 6 year old would think. Kids are growing up fast these days...

too fast. She recently asked me if God was real. I told her different people have different beliefs, but that I believe God is real. That seemed to satisfy her.

Jenson71
12-06-2004, 06:52 PM
She'll be critiquing Bergman films by age 10.

bogie
12-06-2004, 06:59 PM
She'll be critiquing Bergman films by age 10.

I know, I know... No one warned me that my child was probably going to be smarter than me. She's going to keep me on my toes. She's finally turning in to a Chiefs fan though. She actually routes for the red and gold team when I'm able to get her to sit still long enough to watch.
:thumb:

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I know, I know... No one warned me that my child was probably going to be smarter than me.

You should've just played the odds and assumed so. :p

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 07:03 PM

ROFL You kill me, dude.

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Children!! Stop bickering!!

Thig Lyfe
12-06-2004, 07:07 PM

nobody cares about you anymore.

bogie
12-06-2004, 07:07 PM

Yuck, yuck. It's true though. I hope she is very smart and ugly. Smart and ugly a perfect combination to keep the boys away.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Yuck, yuck. It's true though. I hope she is very smart and ugly. Smart and ugly a perfect combination to keep the boys away.

Of all the things to wish your daughter......

MonroeChief
12-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Is it a lie to tell a kid that there is a Santa Claus? Probably, but if you believe that Santa Claus is the embodiment of the giving spirit and you are giving your kids things that they want or need for Christmas does that make you Santa Claus for your family?

Rather than to tell a kid that Santa Claus is a "real" person indicate that Santa is the embodiment of giving and that all of us that give are Santa Claus or his helpers.

Or you can say, there is no Santa and keep all of your hard earned money!!

bogie
12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Of all the things to wish your daughter......

I want her to become an ugly Dr. She'll always be beautiful to me.

bogie
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Is it a lie to tell a kid that there is a Santa Claus? Probably, but if you believe that Santa Claus is the embodiment of the giving spirit and you are giving your kids things that they want or need for Christmas does that make you Santa Claus for your family?

Rather than to tell a kid that Santa Claus is a "real" person indicate that Santa is the embodiment of giving and that all of us that give are Santa Claus or his helpers.

Or you can say, there is no Santa and keep all of your hard earned money!!

Eventually, that's a good answer. Right now, with that answer, she'll stare at me with mouth open and a blank look on her face.

chiefs4me
12-06-2004, 07:28 PM

:harumph:

Jenson71
12-06-2004, 07:31 PM
I want her to become an ugly Dr. She'll always be beautiful to me.

Just have her beautiful and marry a rich doctor.

Raiderhader
12-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Just have her beautiful and marry a rich doctor.

I'm sure she'll make some guy a nice trophy wife some day.

ChiefsFire
12-06-2004, 07:43 PM
nobody cares about you anymore.

thats cold
enjoy YOUR avatar :p

digi2fish
12-06-2004, 08:26 PM

OMG.
it explains everything.
I was always wondering how Santa got into my room since there were never a chimny in the places I lived...
ROFL

patteeu
12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Anyone reading this that still believes in Santa, I'm just kidding, Santa is real.

There you go again. :shake:

patteeu
12-06-2004, 09:29 PM
My oldest daughter found out about Santa when she was 7. We used computer printed gift labels that year because my wife thought she was smart enough to figure out that Santa's handwriting looked the same as ours. The next morning the kid found some printed but unused labels on my desk. She went to her mother crying and told her what she'd figured out. Her mother wasn't happy with the guy who forgot to clean up the labels.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
My oldest daughter found out about Santa when she was 7. We used computer printed gift labels that year because my wife thought she was smart enough to figure out that Santa's handwriting looked the same as ours. The next morning the kid found some printed but unused labels on my desk. She went to her mother crying and told her what she'd figured out. Her mother wasn't happy with the guy who forgot to clean up the labels.
"Santa" used the same tags year after year at my house. I really don't remember when I figured it out... it wasn't all that traumatic of an experience, I guess.

My folks would still put out gifts from Santa even after I knew better... see... Santa was lazy at my house. All the presents from my folks would be wrapped up under the tree. But, since Santa just showed up on Christmas Eve, he just made a pile of presents in the living room with a "To: Brian, From: Santa" tag laying on them. Didn't bother to wrap them.

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
From santa:brian here is the liquor and penicilin you asked for. Next year wear a condom.

ENDelt260
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Santa.

KcMizzou
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
All the presents from my folks would be wrapped up under the tree. But, since Santa just showed up on Christmas Eve, he just made a pile of presents in the living room with a "To: Brian, From: Santa" tag laying on them. Didn't bother to wrap them.
Same here.. Hell, Santa doesn't wrap my boys' presents either. They just get arranged like they're in a display window.

My son asked me if Santa was real just the other day. (the younger boy looked at him like he was nuts for even asking) I , of course, told him he was. I have too much fun with it to tell him the truth at 7 yrs old. The least he could do is play along. :D

That's what I did for years. I was afraid If I told my parents I knew... I wouldn't get those presents any more.

big nasty kcnut
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
santa cluas is real i would tell her maybe not like you and me but he is alway in our heart and come out every christmas.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I am 36 years old amd I still get a Christmas stocking and package from Santa every who always leaves it at my mom and dads. True. You did the right thing. This is just something that she will someday soon figure out for herself and there will be no hard feelings. Plus she will propably keep it under wraps anyway, just so the gifts keep coming.

Earthling
12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
When my niece was about 7 she asked her Dad, my bro, "Daddy is Santa real?"
He decided to tell her the truth "No sweety...I'm Santa."
To which she said "Well if you're Santa lets see you float up the chimney!"

To my own daughter I always replied the same when she asked.."Well the spirit of X'mas is certainly real." That was always good enough for her and I was able to side-step the 'lie'.

bogie
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm sure she'll make some guy a nice trophy wife some day.

:banghead:

RedNFeisty
12-07-2004, 12:47 PM
I received this from a friend of mine today and thought it fit this thread perfectly!

I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day
my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous"
cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so. It had to be true.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?" she snorted...."Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put on your coat, and let's go."
"Go where Grandma?" I hadn't even finished with my second cinnamon bun yet. "Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.

That was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she said, "and buy
something for someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in the car."
Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's. I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all by myself.

The store seemed big and crowded, full of people scrambling to finish
their Christmas shopping. For a few moments I just stood there,
confused, clutching that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and
who on earth to buy it for. I thought of everybody I knew: my family,
my friends, my neighbors, the kids at school, the people who went to
my church.

I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobby Decker.
He was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind
me in Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class. Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out to recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked real
warm, and he would like that. "Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down. "Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."
The nice lady smiled at me, as I told her about how Bobby really
needed a good winter coat. I didn't get any change, but she put the
coat in a bag, smiled again, and wished me a Merry Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat (a little tag fell out
of the coat, and Grandma tucked it in her Bible) in Christmas paper
and ribbons and wrote, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it. Grandma
drove to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially, one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, get going."

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present
down on his step, pounded his door and flew back to the safety of the
bushes and Grandma. Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

Forty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent
shivering, beside my Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes.
That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were
just what Grandma said they were: ridiculous. Santa was alive and
well, and we were on his team. I still have the Bible, with the coat
tag tucked inside: $19.95.

May you always have LOVE to share, HEALTH to spare and FRIENDS that care... And may you always believe in the magic of Santa Claus!

bogie
12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I received this from a friend of mine today and thought it fit this thread perfectly!

I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day
my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole lot easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous"
cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so. It had to be true.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I told her everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?" she snorted...."Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around for years, and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put on your coat, and let's go."
"Go where Grandma?" I hadn't even finished with my second cinnamon bun yet. "Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.

Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's. I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all by myself.

my church.

me in Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class. Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he never went out to recess during the winter. His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

warm, and he would like that. "Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down. "Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."

drove to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and forever officially, one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, get going."

bushes and Grandma. Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

May you always have LOVE to share, HEALTH to spare and FRIENDS that care... And may you always believe in the magic of Santa Claus!

Thank you.

Bearcat
12-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Did you know that if you write a letter addressed to Santa, North Pole, you'll get a response? The PO gives the letters to churches, high schools, the Salvation Army, etc, who find volunteers to write back.

And, if you write a letter addressed to your kid from Santa, and put it in another envelope addressed to the PO in Fairbanks, AK, they'll postmark your letter from the North Pole.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Did you know that if you write a letter addressed to Santa, North Pole, you'll get a response? The PO gives the letters to churches, high schools, the Salvation Army, etc, who find volunteers to write back.

And, if you write a letter addressed to your kid from Santa, and put it in another envelope addressed to the PO in Fairbanks, AK, they'll postmark your letter from the North Pole.

I could have a lot of fun with this.

Bearcat
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Technology altering cherished childhood tradition
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By TIM ENGLE
The Kansas City Star

Dear Santa,
We've never seen you looking anything but jolly, but surely you must be a little distressed that you don't get as much mail as you used to.

Now, granted, plenty of kids write Santa letters that reach you in ways that don't involve letter carriers, and now you're on the Internet, too.

But the U.S. Postal Service and local officials agree that correspondence to the North Pole is on the wane.

“We used to get buckets and buckets full of them, and it's just kind of slowed down” over the last couple of years, says Lesley Green, volunteer director at Kansas City's Salvation Army, which helps Santa handle the mail. “I don't know if the kids just aren't writing to Santa or if we don't have that many younger kids believing in Santa.”

The Lawrence post office, which has helped answer Santa letters for more than 30 years, has also seen a decline.

“The art of writing is really dropping off, which is too bad,” said Rose Campbell, who coordinates the program.

The volume of snail-mail letters to Santa began shrinking in 1997, according to a big book called the Encyclopedia of Christmas by Tanya Gulevich. Could've been, the author speculated, that fans of the jolly old elf had discovered e-mail.

Santa letters intercepted by the main Kansas City post office — pretty much any local letter addressed simply to Santa Claus, North Pole — are sent to the Salvation Army. Its Santa's helpers, volunteers from Country Club Christian Church, send out letters from Santa that acknowledge receiving children's letters, thank them for writing and assure that Santa, Mrs. Claus and the elves are busy preparing for Christmas. The volunteers usually tuck in stickers or some other cool trinket.

Sometimes, Santa, letters written to you tip off other grown-ups to troubling situations.

Green at the Salvation Army says that while many letters are funny and cute, a few are quite sad. In these cases — a child writing that there's no heat in the house, for instance — Salvation Army officials contact the family and do what they can to help.

At the moment, the Salvation Army has between 300 and 500 letters from KC area kids awaiting replies and expects to answer as many as 1,000 by Christmas.

In Lawrence last year, students in Free State High School's Key Club hand-wrote personal letters to children, and they'll do it again this year.
Campbell of the Lawrence post office is quick to point out that the high school kids “are helping Santa — they are not pretending to be Santa.”
She's grateful for the help. In years past, she'd send the reply letters out herself. But to stay one step ahead of suspicious tykes, she had four or five form letters, so children in the same family wouldn't get identical replies.

Incidentally, not all letters to Santa are demands for loot. The Salvation Army reports that letters trickle in all year long, some of them thank-you notes.

Yep, Santa, children really do appreciate your — and your helpers' — efforts.

OK, now for what we want this year: The snow sure was pretty, but what we'd really like is a mild Kansas City winter with no ice. We'll leave you cookies and milk under the tree.

E-mailing Mr. Claus
Tip, a new magazine spinoff of Newsweek's Tip Sheet section, suggests these Web sites (all free) for kids too impatient — or too high-tech — for pencil-and-paper missives to the man in red:

emailsanta.com (http://mailsanta.com/): Your child writes a fill-in-the-blanks letter. The instant-gratification choice — Mr. Claus' personalized response comes right away.

12days.com (http://12days.com/): “Most private,” because this service doesn't require your e-mail address. Instead, an online P.O. box is provided, where you'll find Santa's next-day response.

www.northpole.com (http://www.northpole.com/): “This site has it all, from puzzles and games to online karaoke.” Santa takes about two days to respond to letters on the site.

A letter from Santa

• If your children are writing a letter to Santa, be sure they put a return address on the envelope. There's no guarantee of a reply — Mr. Claus is awfully busy this time of year — but volunteers will do their best. (About one-fourth of the letters received at the main KC post office do not have return addresses.) The earlier the better, too.
• Letters mailed to Santa Claus, North Pole, from the Kansas City area are likely to be sent to Salvation Army volunteers for replies.
• Where's the North Pole? According to the U.S. Postal Service, it's Fairbanks, Alaska. To get a North Pole postmark, write your own letter from Santa, put it in a stamped envelope addressed to the child, then put that envelope in a bigger stamped envelope and mail to:

North Pole Christmas Cancellation
Postmaster
5400 Mail Trail
Fairbanks, AK 99709-9998

This works for Christmas cards, too. Postmark requests must be received by Dec. 15. More info, including tips for writing Santa letters, is at usps.com (http://usps.com/); search for “North Pole.”

• Some area communities are helping Santa. A sampling:

Lawrence: High school students answer Santa letters received at the Lawrence post office. Write to:
Santa Claus
c/o Lawrence Post Office
645 Vermont St.
Lawrence, KS 66044-9998

Merriam: Residents can drop off letters in a special mailbox in the Merriam Community Center, 5701 Merriam Drive, through Dec. 17. Santa's helpers (parks and rec employees) send personalized letters.

Blue Springs: Volunteers at Vesper Hall community center are answering letters from KC area kids. Send the letter, along with $1 and a self-addressed, stamped envelope, to:

Elves Mailing List
c/o Vesper Hall
400 N.W. Vesper St.
Blue Springs, MO 64014

Include phone number and information such as the child's age, friends and pets.

ChiefsOne
12-07-2004, 02:10 PM
RedNFeisty that was an awesome story.

My daughter and I were talking this past weekend about her little brother asking me, I told her what I said to him, same as I told her when she asked. She said I should rent Elf and what it with him. She is 19 and she said it makes her want to believe!

ChiefsFire
12-07-2004, 08:01 PM
this thread deserves to be on the first page

Jenny Gump
12-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I would try to keep it going as long as you can. You can word it where you aren't really lying.

Thank you. That's EXACTLY what I've been telling my accountant.

Jenny Gump
12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
See that's the problem. I grew up in the midwest and there wasn't a lot of Jewish influence. Out here there are many Jewish children whose parent tell them there's no Santa. I think it's harder to keep the secret. I married a Jewish gal and fortunately she's willing to help keep the lie going.

Bogie's Wife: "Yeah sweetie...Santa's real. But if Daddy tries to tell you that some dude name Jesus is the Messiah, he's lying."

Iowanian
12-07-2004, 09:37 PM
I thought of a way to make this a Truthful statement.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105933

Either via that, or by adopting a poor family/child at Christmas........you can be someone's Santa.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Thank you. That's EXACTLY what I've been telling my accountant.
Do the bears still come in your yard after dark?

Jenny Gump
12-07-2004, 09:47 PM
From santa:brian here is the liquor and penicilin you asked for. Next year wear a condom.

That made me laugh so hard.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 09:49 PM
I could have a lot of fun with this.
Oh, I hate to see your evil mind come upon information like this.

Jenny Gump
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM

I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS

my church.

That's cute. I received this in an email today...not sure if it fits in very well but here it is:

Jenny,
Can you get me a copy of the latest m54 report? We have a board meeting tomorrow and I need to crunch the numbers.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

bogie
12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Bogie's Wife: "Yeah sweetie...Santa's real. But if Daddy tries to tell you that some dude name Jesus is the Messiah, he's lying."

Nah, she's probably less of a Jew than me.