PDA

View Full Version : Bill Self restaraunt talk show

LTownChief
12-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I just got back from Carlos O'kelly's in Lawrence, me and my girlfriend never ate there before so we tried it out and they had a big radio show with Bill Self. It was pretty cool, apparently they do it every monday evening. Also the service and food was really good too. I think I'm gonna go back next monday!

after the show Bill Self walked around the restaraunt and shook a lot of people's hands and he seems pretty friendly. It was one of the better restaraunt experiences I've had in a while, most places around town here sucks. the waiters are crappy and it always takes forever for the food. but I guess I am just happy to finally go out and have a good time eating out!

Pants
12-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Bill is a good guy.

LTownChief
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
ya he seemed like it. I am a little tipsy from the margaritas too though! :thumb:

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
i don't know what kfc does with its chickens, it can't be worse than eating them.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, I agree Bill Self is seen as a man of the people and all that, but I really disagree with your dissing of Lawrence restaurants. I've never had a bad experience eating out in Larryville, and the selection of places to eat out at is very good considering the size of the town.

Then again, by looking at your avatar, I probably shouldn't put too much stock in to your restaurant selection. :)

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Ok, I agree Bill Self is seen as a man of the people and all that, but I really disagree with your dissing of Lawrence restaurants. I've never had a bad experience eating out in Larryville, and the selection of places to eat out at is very good considering the size of the town.

Then again, by looking at your avatar, I probably shouldn't put too much stock in to your restaurant selection. :)
Your restaurant selection sucks too. The McDonalds are the same in every town.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
What is up with you avatar, LT? Are you actually a PETA supporter?

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Bill Self wears a toupee.

Pants
12-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Bill Self wears a toupee.

So? You've forgotten what your hair ever looked like, no one's saying shit though.

EDIT: Dammit, Skip, this is the 3rd failed attempt to get a comeback out of you...

big nasty kcnut
12-06-2004, 09:32 PM
carlos o kelly suck teh big one. If you want real mexican food there burritos express here in wichita or my mom can cook up some good stuff.

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
So? You've forgotten what your hair ever looked like, no one's saying shit though.

EDIT: Dammit, Skip, this is the 3rd failed attempt to get a comeback out of you...
Hmmm. I must have missed the first two. But as for this one: If I wanted some shit out of you I would squeeze it out of your nose. Shut up junior and go clean up your room. This forum is for adults.

Ari ümlaüt
12-06-2004, 09:38 PM
i shit in the beans.

Fat Elvis
12-06-2004, 09:59 PM
I just got back from Carlos O'kelly's in Lawrence, me and my girlfriend never ate there before so we tried it out and they had a big radio show with Bill Self. It was pretty cool, apparently they do it every monday evening. Also the service and food was really good too. I think I'm gonna go back next monday!

after the show Bill Self walked around the restaraunt and shook a lot of people's hands and he seems pretty friendly. It was one of the better restaraunt experiences I've had in a while, most places around town here sucks. the waiters are crappy and it always takes forever for the food. but I guess I am just happy to finally go out and have a good time eating out!

If you're thinking Carlos O'Kelly's is a good resturant in Larryville, then you've just been eating at crap resturants. Lawrence has tons of great resturants.

LTownChief
12-07-2004, 02:05 AM
If you're thinking Carlos O'Kelly's is a good resturant in Larryville, then you've just been eating at crap resturants. Lawrence has tons of great resturants.

no, it really was pretty good. I liked it better than El Mezcal, and On the border. the service was great and the food took like 10 minutes. I had a great experience and plus I got to listen to and shake Bill Selfs hand. it was cool, I will be back.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Carlos O' Kelly's is fantastic. Their white queso dip is TO DIE FOR.

I make sure to visit Carlos O' Kelly's everytime I'm in Springfield with my cousin.

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Carlos O' Kelly's is fantastic. Their white queso dip is TO DIE FOR.

I make sure to visit Carlos O' Kelly's everytime I'm in Springfield with my cousin.

Wait, you live in TX and enjoy Midwest mexican food?

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Wait, you live in TX and enjoy Midwest mexican food?

Read my post again and think. Think real hard.

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:23 AM
Read my post again and think. Think real hard.

Eh...Maybe im just tired but I still dont get it.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Eh...Maybe im just tired but I still dont get it.

I have a cousin in Springfield. Sometimes I visit him. Then we go and eat some mexican food at Carlos O' Kelly's. It is good.

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:28 AM
I have a cousin in Springfield. Sometimes I visit him. Then we go and eat some mexican food at Carlos O' Kelly's. It is good.

Just from living in the midwest for a while i find that the mexican food there is pretty bad when compaired to the ones in Houston is all.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:31 AM
Just from living in the midwest for a while i find that the mexican food there is pretty bad when compaired to the ones in Houston is all.

Carlos O' Kelly's is pretty much as good a mexican food as I have eaten anywhere.

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Carlos O' Kelly's is pretty much as good a mexican food as I have eaten anywhere.

Im pretty suprised then. Just figured a midwest chain wouldnt be that good but i cant argue becasue i havent tried it.

BTW have you been to the new Chewys in the Woodlands yet. It pretty damn good.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Im pretty suprised then. Just figured a midwest chain wouldnt be that good but i cant argue becasue i havent tried it.

BTW have you been to the new Chewys in the Woodlands yet. It pretty damn good.

Nope, I don't get out much. I don't even know what Chewy's is.

This thread is about how good O' Kelly's is....I do agree that Springfield isn't generally the best place to get Mexican. ROFL

Chinese, on the other hand. :hmmm:

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:48 AM

This thread is about how good O' Kelly's is....I do agree that Springfield isn't generally the best place to get Mexican. ROFL

You knew enough to add the apostrophy ;)

You're living in a city that has some great ethnic food. Probably the best Asian food you can find outside of California.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 02:55 AM
You knew enough to add the apostrophy ;)

You're living in a city that has some great ethnic food. Probably the best Asian food you can find outside of California.

I'd never even HEARD of Chewy's before your post.

Ethnic food is my forte though. I love a good indian place.

Miles
12-07-2004, 02:59 AM
I'd never even HEARD of Chewy's before your post.

Ethnic food is my forte though. I love a good indian place.

Check it out if you like spicier Mexican. Its more like the stuff from New Mexico than Tex-mex.

There are supposed to be some great Indian places in Houston but i dont know where they are.

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 03:28 AM

CArlos O' Kelly's is a step below human feces.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 03:45 AM
CArlos O' Kelly's is a step below human feces.

Better than Taco John's.

Douche Baggins
12-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Wait wait...shit, my memory is going.

I've never even BEEN to Carlos O' Kelly's. The place my cousin and I frequent is Cielito Lindo's....

http://www.theozarks.net/cielitolindo/

That place is the bomb.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Wait wait...shit, my memory is going.

I've never even BEEN to Carlos O' Kelly's. The place my cousin and I frequent is Cielito Lindo's....

http://www.theozarks.net/cielitolindo/

That place is the bomb.
Did I say my favorite steak place was Ponderosa? I meant to say Morton's. ROFL ROFL

Fat Elvis
12-07-2004, 06:45 AM
no, it really was pretty good. I liked it better than El Mezcal, and On the border. the service was great and the food took like 10 minutes. I had a great experience and plus I got to listen to and shake Bill Selfs hand. it was cool, I will be back.

Dude-

You've got to quit eating at chains and sample local resturants.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2004, 06:50 AM
La Parilla!..or hell, the Salty Iguana.

Fat Elvis
12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
La Parilla!..or hell, the Salty Iguana.

La Parilla rules. Tropicana in north Lawrence isn't too bad either.

cmh6476
12-07-2004, 10:11 AM
the salty iguana is better.

But anyways, so wtf did he have to say? :shrug:

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Heh, I worked for Carlos O' Kellys when I was in college. They have one thing going for them: good margaritas!!

Best mexican food in Lawrence = La Familia :thumb:

If you want authentic, come to KC... go to Guadalajara Cafe (103rd & Wornel)

The Roy Williams show used to be at Uno's... wonder why they moved it?

LTownChief
12-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Dude-

You've got to quit eating at chains and sample local resturants.

hmmmm, I like Quintons for lunch, there's also a pretty good taco bar on 23rd that I go to sometimes, the local Jade Mongolian BBQ is my absolute favorite! I have not tried La Familia though. maybe I will....

LTownChief
12-07-2004, 01:57 PM

I have a feeling he means Chevy's. it's pretty damn good Mexican food in the JoCo area

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 02:01 PM
I have a feeling he means Chevy's. it's pretty damn good Mexican food in the JoCo area
There's a Chewy's in Dogtown here in St. Louie, 'cept it's spelled Chuy's.

Miles
12-07-2004, 04:55 PM
There's a Chewy's in Dogtown here in St. Louie, 'cept it's spelled Chuy's.

Yeah i misspelled it. The one in Texas is spelled Chuy's too but its not the same place. Its an Tx chain from Austin and a has somewhat of an Elvis theme.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah i misspelled it. The one in Texas is spelled Chuy's too but its not the same place. Its an Tx chain from Austin and a has somewhat of an Elvis theme.
The one in Dogtown is technically Chuy Arzola's, but everone calls it Chuy's.

Fat Elvis
12-07-2004, 05:15 PM
hmmmm, I like Quintons for lunch, there's also a pretty good taco bar on 23rd that I go to sometimes, the local Jade Mongolian BBQ is my absolute favorite! I have not tried La Familia though. maybe I will....

La Parilla is better than La Familia. Jade is so-so, but Zen Zero or Thai-Siam are much better for asian foods. Thai-Siam doesn't have the ambiance you might look for, but it is the best Thai food in town with Zen Zero coming in second.