PDA

View Full Version : Legal hit or not?

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Here are some pics of the hit on Derrick Blaylock yesterday. Sry about the poor quality. Was it a legal hit or was it a spear?

Pics in the following posts.

Pants
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
ILLEGAL.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:03 PM

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 09:07 PM
that hit was awesome

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Definately spearing.

Miles
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Definatly looks like he lead with the crown of his helmet. Either way blaylock got blown up.

ROYC75
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
From what I saw, it was lead with the helmet on the bottom of the facemask, defender had his head down looking at the turf. It's called spearing, but wasn't called.

Derrick is lucky he got up.

TEX
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
It's pretty clear that the guy lead with his helmet so it's illegal.

Cochise
12-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Helmet to helmet.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
It was a devasting hit, no doubt. I just wondered what everyone else thought considering there was a little disagreement about it earlier today in the Larry Johnson thread. I think it was a spear with the helmet. I would bet he'll get fined this week.

TEX
12-06-2004, 09:22 PM
It was a devasting hit, no doubt. I just wondered what everyone else thought considering there was a little disagreement about it earlier today in the Larry Johnson thread. I think it was a spear with the helmet. I would bet he'll get fined this week.

I agree. What's missing here is a full blown slide show of Broncos proportions whereby the Norv Turner pulls a "Shannahan" and swears the hit was "legal." :shake:

philfree
12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
According to the rules it was illegal. I gotta say though that if you ask one man at 6' tall to tackle a man who's 5'9" tall it's gonna be hard for their heads not to clash. I figure they'd have called it on us but that's just the homer in me talking there. Deliberate is the key there and it's hard for the officials to call intent. Trent hung'em out on that one :shake:

PhilFree :arrow:

Mile High Mania
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
According to the rules it was illegal. I gotta say though that if you ask one man at 6' tall to tackle a man who's 5'9" tall it's gonna be hard for their heads not to clash. I figure they'd have called it on us but that's just the homer in me talking there. Deliberate is the key there and it's hard for the officials to call intent. Trent hung'em out on that one :shake:

That's exactly the way I described the hit that Lynch put on Dante in week 1. No flag on the play, but I think he got fined.

morphius
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't know, those pictures don't help. I know in a couple angles it looked like he got his head up right as he hit Blaylock. Of course that could have been just the impact knocking his head straight up. In picture 2 and 3 it looks illegal, but in picture 4 it looks like he is getting his head up right before contact.

Either way, if Wesley and Woods were to lay a hit like that (or anyone else for that matter) I would be celebrating it still.

Mile High Mania
12-06-2004, 09:47 PM
It was one of the top 5 on ESPN's Jacked Up... if you thought the hit Lynch put on Hall was illegal in week 1, then you feel the same on this one.

bkkcoh
12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
From what I saw, it was lead with the helmet on the bottom of the facemask, defender had his head down looking at the turf. It's called spearing, but wasn't called.

Derrick is lucky he got up.

Should that be a surprise with the asshole that we had a referee yesterday.....

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
anyone have the video of that hit

morphius
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
It was one of the top 5 on ESPN's Jacked Up... if you thought the hit Lynch put on Hall was illegal in week 1, then you feel the same on this one.
Except for the fact that the ball was already on the ground rolling past lynch when he hit a defensless Hall, in this case Blaylock had the ball.

Mile High Mania
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Except for the fact that the ball was already on the ground rolling past lynch when he hit a defensless Hall, in this case Blaylock had the ball.

That's the greatness of the NFL... they don't play the game in slow motion. At full speed, you might be talking about a second's worth of time in making a decision and you can tell he tried to turn his body to soften the blow.

patteeu
12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
DV was asked about this hit on his radio program tonight. He said that at the time he thought it was an illegal hit but after reviewing game film he's decided that the officials got it right (by not calling a foul).

philfree
12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
That's exactly the way I described the hit that Lynch put on Dante in week 1. No flag on the play, but I think he got fined.

The ball was 3' past Dante and and Lynch hit him with the crown even though Dant'e was defensless. Dant'e hasn't been near the WR since then though so it's hard to argue that Lynch didn't do the right thing for his team. It's just good neither player was seriously injured.

morphius
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
That's the greatness of the NFL... they don't play the game in slow motion. At full speed, you might be talking about a second's worth of time in making a decision and you can tell he tried to turn his body to soften the blow.
You can't tell me that Lynch didn't have time to let up, sorry.

Mile High Mania
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
You can't tell me that Lynch didn't have time to let up, sorry.

I'm saying that he did let up. Too bad we can't search for the video... I had a link to it saved, but it doesn't work.

KcMizzou
12-06-2004, 10:30 PM
anyone have the video of that hit

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=105747

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 10:37 PM
that hit was sick

big nasty kcnut
12-06-2004, 10:40 PM
It's a illegal hit 5,000$ fine.

Ugly Duck
12-06-2004, 11:55 PM
It's pretty clear Clear? Ain't nothin' clear about those photos. Can't tell if his head was to the side or what.

Bwana
12-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Dirty all the way. Look for a fine before it's over.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Clear? Ain't nothin' clear about those photos. Can't tell if his head was to the side or what.
Of course we can't expect a R_aider fan to discern between a legal hit and an illegal one. They have been doing it only one way for 41 years. A pox on you!

Ugly Duck
12-07-2004, 12:19 AM
you can tell (Lynch) tried to turn his body to soften the blow.Yes... Lynch is known for gently trying to soften his blows upon opposing players. He's a tender man with a gentle heart, God bless him!

Bwana
12-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Yes... Lynch is known for gently trying to soften his blows upon opposing players. He's a tender man with a gentle heart, God bless him!

ROFL

Den9899
12-07-2004, 03:35 AM
This was a helluva hit. Legal or not, it is very nice.

One thing is for sure though, you haven't seen a KC fan try to defend one of their DBs over a crushing blow. We're still waiting for Gunther's mean streak to show up on the field. :hmmm:

alpha_omega
12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Helmet to helmet.

yup...exactly what i was thinking when i saw the hit.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I was just thinking his arms were kinda hanging and he was leading into Blaylock with his helmet. Looks illegal to me.

Chiefnj
12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
It was a great hit. It was legal at the time and that is all that matters. If he gets fined later, no big deal, he essentially took out the teams starting HB. There were many times this season I was hoping the Chiefs could deliver a legal-at-the-time blow to an opposing player.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Spearing. If he had his head up, facemask to facemask, then it would be a clean hit. He ducked his head and led with the crown of his helmet. If that hit had been on a QB they would have thrown his ass out of the league.

As it stands, Blaylock was shook up for a quarter, then came back and the spearing scumbag lost. :thumb:

Bwana
12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
It was a great hit. It was legal at the time and that is all that matters. If he gets fined later, no big deal, he essentially took out the teams starting HB. There were many times this season I was hoping the Chiefs could deliver a legal-at-the-time blow to an opposing player.

Why would there be a fine if it was a "legal hit?" :spock:

Chiefnj
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Why would there be a fine if it was a "legal hit?" :spock:

It was legal at the time as no flag was thrown on the play. If the league wants to review it later in slow motion in an attempt to justify a penalty then they can turn it into an "illegal hit" and issue a fine.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 11:17 AM
It was legal at the time as no flag was thrown on the play. If the league wants to review it later in slow motion in an attempt to justify a penalty then they can turn it into an "illegal hit" and issue a fine.

Nonsense. The fact of the matter is that it was an illegal hit and the refs just missed the call.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM

thats a stupid stance..

so EVERYTHING is legal until you get caught?!?

BRILLIANT!!!

Chiefnj
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
thats a stupid stance..

so EVERYTHING is legal until you get caught?!?

BRILLIANT!!!

The refs saw the play on the field and didn't think it warranted a flag. It was a legal hit in their eyes. If the league office wants to review it in slow motion and make some type of policy or public stance on the hit they will react accordingly.

I wish Chief fans would stop being such big wusses and remember back to the day when they actually had defenders who hit with authority and stop whining about hard hits.