PDA

View Full Version : Major high rise fire in downtown Chicago

Frazod
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
The LaSalle Bank Building in downtown Chicago is burning. The fire has been going since about 6:30, has gutted a good chunk of the 29th floor and has recently spread to the 30th floor. There have been numerous injuries, including a couple of firemen in critical condition at local hospitals.

This is really bad, and it doesn't look like the fire department is anywhere near getting it under control.

This building is really old, too.

morphius
12-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Damn that is a shame. Hopefully not too many injuries.

Frazod
12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Damn that is a shame. Hopefully not too many injuries.

The bad part is that there is an area in the middle of the building where they can't get water on the fire externally. God only knows what's going on inside the building. I never thought it would spread to a higher floor, but now I'm wondering how in the hell they'll stop it from going higher.

Flames are leaping from multiple windows on the 30th floor.

I think a prayer for those firemen would be in order.

bkkcoh
12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
The bad part is that there is an area in the middle of the building where they can't get water on the fire externally. God only knows what's going on inside the building. I never thought it would spread to a higher floor, but now I'm wondering how in the hell they'll stop it from going higher.

Don't they usually have firewalls every few floors so the fire wont spread throughout the rest of the building???

Frazod
12-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Don't they usually have firewalls every few floors so the fire wont spread throughout the rest of the building???

Hell if I know. If they do, it isn't working. This thing's been going for nearly four hours now.

tommykat
12-06-2004, 10:22 PM

Prayers going.........all should here!!!

Monty
12-06-2004, 10:40 PM
The video is here: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/

Frazod
12-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Apparently the firemen inside the building are making some good progress. They are actually on both fire floors and are apparently able to get water on the flames internally.

25 injuries reported so far, 13 critical. 8 of those are firemen. :(

tk13
12-06-2004, 10:52 PM
http://images.viacomlocalnetworks.com//images_sizedimage_341210445/xl

morphius
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Apparently the firemen inside the building are making some good progress. They are actually on both fire floors and are apparently able to get water on the flames internally.

25 injuries reported so far, 13 critical. 8 of those are firemen. :(
Damn! And nothing seems much worse then fire injury, IMHO. Truly a shame. It is good they are getting this under control.

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 10:59 PM
It's true fire spreads rapidly upward since heat rises. But it spreads downward as well. Witness 9/11. As the floors burn and collapse it can take out the whole building.

ChiTown
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Fug. That's a really bad blaze.

bkkcoh
12-06-2004, 11:06 PM
It's true fire spreads rapidly upward since heat rises. But it spreads downward as well. Witness 9/11. As the floors burn and collapse it can take out the whole building.

In the WTC, it didn't help that burning airplane fuel was eating through the floors and going downward. I don't that would be the case in this fire.

Does anyone know what the cause of the fire is/was?

Skip Towne
12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
In the WTC, it didn't help that burning airplane fuel was eating through the floors and going downward. I don't that would be the case in this fire.

We'll see. If they don't put out that fire on the upper stories, that building will burn to the ground.

alanm
12-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Don't they usually have firewalls every few floors so the fire wont spread throughout the rest of the building???If it's a really old building like Tim said. It's doubtful the code at the time called for such a provision. Maybe common sense did, but I doubt the code did. :shake:

Frazod
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Looks like they got it. At least there are no longer visable flames from the news chopper's vantage point.

big nasty kcnut
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
My prayers being sent.

RINGLEADER
12-07-2004, 01:10 AM

There was a really interesting show on the WTC collapse on PBS a few months ago. Basically, if it weren't for the plane fuel, the buildings wouldn't have collapsed. The fuel kept the fires so hot for so long that the steel that supported the structure from the outside literally melted and once the initial floor gave way the remaining floors underneath couldn't handle the weight of the rest of the structure crashing down.

Frazod
12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
There were no fatalities in the fire, and all the critical injuries were all upgraded to serious. Good thing the fire started after working hours, or this would probably be a different story.

The building is obviously closed, as are the surrounding streets. Traffic is a snarled f#cking mess all over the Loop as a result, and the rain certainly isn't helping. But the worst is over.

Time for the finger pointing and lawsuits to begin.

Swanman
12-07-2004, 08:41 AM
There were no fatalities in the fire, and all the critical injuries were all upgraded to serious. Good thing the fire started after working hours, or this would probably be a different story.

The building is obviously closed, as are the surrounding streets. Traffic is a snarled f#cking mess all over the Loop as a result, and the rain certainly isn't helping. But the worst is over.

Time for the finger pointing and lawsuits to begin.

I used to work about a half block down the street from that building. This morning they confirmed no fatalities and most of the injuries were to firefighters.

Hopefully this will finally prompt the idiots at city hall to do the right thing and require old buildings to have sprinklers installed. But at the rate things tend to go here in Chicago, I'd give it a few years.