PDA

View Full Version : Info about Woods and Wesley's contract that you might not have known

shaneo69
12-07-2004, 08:09 AM
This is from Pasquarelli's original article from when Woods and Wesley were re-signed this past offseason....

Working hard to retain their own top pending free agents, the Chiefs have completed the second half of their safety daily double, reaching contract agreement with Pro Bowl free safety Jerome Woods on a six-year deal.

The contract, which comes less than a week before the start of the free agency signing period, keeps Woods out of the unrestricted pool. The eight-year veteran would have been one of the top safeties in the free agency market.

Several weeks ago, the Chiefs signed starting strong safety Greg Wesley, who along with Woods gives Kansas City one of the top interior secondary tandems in the league, to a six-year extension.

The six-year deal for Woods, who had made it clear his preference was to return to the Chiefs, is worth more than $3 million annually. The combined value of the initial signing bonus and a second-tier option bonus is $5 million, the same as Wesley's contract.

I'm not sure how much of the $5 mil signing bonuses were paid out at the time of the signings, but if the 2nd tier is due this offseason, it's an even bigger incentive to cut these guys.

In this scenario, the rest of the signing bonuses wouldn't have to be prorated since they haven't been paid yet. Only the initial signing bonus they received (say $3 mil of the total $5 mil) would have to be prorated. As a result, it won't be such a bad cap hit.

Claynus
12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Woods isn't going anywhere. Gunther likes him too much.

Hoover
12-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Keep Wesley he's young but I would cut Wood's ass in a heart beat. Why is it the Chiefs have all this love for there players while the rest of the teams will cut players to make the team better i.e. New England

BigChiefFan
12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
That's too much money for Woods when you consider his production. I'd kick his ass to the curb.

Alphaman
12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Woods isn't going anywhere. Gunther likes him too much.

I'm not sure anyone on the defense has a guaranteed roster spot. I think Gunther is very ticked off at the performance of everybody, including his boys (Woods and Hicks).

Wesley has been ok...not great but OK. If we can afford to cut Woods, we should.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure anyone on the defense has a guaranteed roster spot. I think Gunther is very ticked off at the performance of everybody, including his boys (Woods and Hicks).

Wesley has been ok...not great but OK. If we can afford to cut Woods, we should.

Agreed, Woods needs to be gone! I dont even know why it would be an argument? Wesley is just ok. Nothing special in my opinion.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I wish the Chiefs would do what other teams do, and restructure contracts to take advantage of the free cap space this year. It seems pretty straightforward - if a guy is making $3 million a year and you've got $6 million in cap space, accelerate most of his pay into this year and pay him peanuts the next two years.

Sure-Oz
12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Woods better be gone, he was the one dude along with Warfield that I thought would do better under Gun.