PDA

View Full Version : Should Grunhard be in teh Ring of Honor?

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm listening to sombody on 610 who claims that he should, and that the only reason he isn't is because of CP.

If CP allowed him in the ROH, the conspiracy goes, then CP wouldn't have any power over him and Grunhard could speak the truth about the Chiefs to us without repercucssion. (i'm not making this up)

He also wondered why Okoye is in the ring with only 2 thousand yard seasons.

Grunhard has the 3rd most starts in franchise history. And is, according to this DJ, the best center in Chiefs history.

anybody who hasn't fried their brain cells who can comment on this?

Coach
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Hahaha, Grundhard as the best center in Chiefs history? I'd say 2nd best, behind E.J. Holub IMHO.

Edited: You could make an good arguement for Jack Rudnay as well.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
I think Grunhard definitely deserves to be in the ROH.

Brock
12-07-2004, 08:22 AM
He's not even the second best center, let alone the best.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 08:24 AM
He's not even the second best center, let alone the best.

Mike Webster? How long was he even a Chief?

alpha_omega
12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Uhhh...NO

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Grunhard is an asshole.

Oh and I don't think he should be on ROF either. Gotta save some space for Larry Johnson.

Brock
12-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Mike Webster? How long was he even a Chief?

What an idiot.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Grunhard is an asshole.

Oh and I don't think he should be on ROF either. Gotta save some space for Larry Johnson.

Don't forget Rich Scanlon.

Brock
12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Edited: You could make an good arguement for Jack Rudnay as well.

You could make more than an argument for Jack Rudnay. 4 time pro bowler, and until recently had the most starts as a Chief. By far the best.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
No.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
What an idiot.

Sheesh. I didn't even start watching KC until 1993. Give me a freaking break!

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Rudnay never quit in a game.

ChiTown
12-07-2004, 08:40 AM
You could make more than an argument for Jack Rudnay. 4 time pro bowler, and until recently had the most starts as a Chief. By far the best.

Rudnay was a beast. I remember the KC Star did an artile about him late in his career. They did a diagram of all his injuries that he had sustained over the course of his career. Dude had just about everything worked on or re-done on his body due to football injuries. The only thing not listed was overhauled penis.

Rudnay=Warrior.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 08:42 AM

That says it all. Last week I would have said "probably yes". After hearing that he quit on the team, I've changed my mind. Quitters don't get honored, and there are repercussions to being a dick.

gblowfish
12-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Grunhard is not an asshole. Here's why he should be in the ROH:
1) Spent his whole career as a Chief. Rare in these days of free agency.
2) Only year he didn't start was his first year when he tutored under Mike Webster, and even that season he started games toward the end of the year.
3) Very high on the list of starts for a Chiefs player. Lineman can't rack up stats like skill position players, so you have to go by starts, consecutive games played, etc.
4) Grunhard was a gamer. Played hurt a lot, especially towards the end of his career. Anchored some excellent lines with other good to great Chiefs linemen like Will Shields, Dave Szott, Rich Baldinger and John Alt.
5) Made his home here. People honor folks like Deron Cherry, Len Dawson and George Brett for choosing to make KC home after the career is done. Very few players do that.
6) I watched Grunhard play close up for his whole career. You could tell he had fire and was a gamer. He gave everything he had, and that's all you can ask. You could also see the respect the organization had for him when they gave him a framed jersey and acknowledged his career in front of the Arrowhead crowd when he retired. They don't do that for every Tom Dick & Harry.

I would say he's not the all time greatest Chiefs center. You'd have a case for either EJ Holub or Jack Rudnay. They were both great players and both colorful players too.

Regardless of what you think of him as a broadcaster, there's no doubt as a Chiefs player he deserves the ROH.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Sheesh. I didn't even start watching KC until 1993. Give me a freaking break!

Read a book.

ChiTown
12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
That says it all. Last week I would have said "probably yes". After hearing that he quit on the team, I've changed my mind. Quitters don't get honored, and there are repercussions to being a dick.

Grunhard=Pussyassedquittingmutherphucker

Cochise
12-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Yeah, me too.. I respected him before that.

gblowfish
12-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Somebody please explain the "Quit the Team" comment. I've not heard that, and is it rumour or something that can be journalistically confirmed? What's the deal?

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Somebody please explain the "Quit the Team" comment. I've not heard that, and is it rumour or something that can be journalistically confirmed? What's the deal?

He bragged on his radio program about the team quitting on Goonther in his final game as HC (the atrocious loss to Atlanta). He admitted to donning a Falcons cap on the sideline.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
1. Holub 2. Rudnay 3. Grunhard

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-07-2004, 08:52 AM
He was bragging and laughing about it last week, how the team quit on Gunther in a game when he was head coach.

It was in a thread last week. I don't remember who posted it or where exactly he said it. I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-07-2004, 08:53 AM
He admitted to donning a Falcons cap on the sideline.
Yes...just to piss off Gunther. His words. Asshole.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 08:54 AM
1. Holub 2. Rudnay 3. Grunhard

Webster before Grunhard IMO.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Nice post gblowfish.

It's just very hard for me to get over that he admitted laying down vs Atlanta.

Grunhard had the benefit of playing on really good teams. For most of his career he played on a winner. Played in front of a full house for most of his career.
Became sort of a cult hero with his radio show on KCFX when he was a player.

Rudnay played on one playoff team in his career. (71) Played as the Chiefs were slipping from their glory turning into an also ran.

Played (hard) when the fans didn't show up. On Jack Rudnay's last Sunday in Arrowhead, 30K showed up to bid the old warrior good bye.

Jack Rudnay never quit.

Cochise
12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Yes...just to piss off Gunther. His words. Asshole.

Doesn't matter, they quit and laid down during a game and he was laughing about it even to this day. No class.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Read a book.

Hmmm, can you suggest one?

KCTitus
12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
He was bragging and laughing about it last week, how the team quit on Gunther in a game when he was head coach.

It was in a thread last week. I don't remember who posted it or where exactly he said it. I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks.

I believe it was GuntherFan on Friday.

shaneo69
12-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Grunhard may have been talking about some other players who quit on Gunther, but I don't believe Grunhard ever gave less than 100%.

How many Pro Bowls did Grunhard make, one? I think that's the same as Lloyd Burruss, and they both played 11 years for KC, IIRC. I don't really think either deserves being up there for just one Pro Bowl, but if Burruss made it, then Grunhard deserves it too.

shaneo69
12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Hmmm, can you suggest one?

Either "The Kansas City Chiefs Encyclopedia", or "Warpath."

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I believe it was GuntherFan on Friday.

ouch...the thread is here:

Grunhard spills the beans (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105817)

PastorMikH
12-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Ask me this 4 years ago and I would have said yes. However, the more he talks, the more I say no to Grunhard. The ROH isn't just what you do on the field, its what you do for the organization and the way he runs his mouth is at times and what he tends to mention from behind the scenes is disgraceful.

Grunhard in the ROH today? No.

JazzzLovr
12-07-2004, 09:15 AM
ouch...the thread is here:

Grunhard spills the beans (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105817)

That's gotta be insulting when KCTitus doesn't pay much attention to what you post. ;)

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Either "The Kansas City Chiefs Encyclopedia", or "Warpath."

CHIEFS FANS! READ THESE BOOKS OR YOU ARE STUPID!

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 09:16 AM
That's gotta be insulting when KCTitus doesn't pay much attention to what you post. ;)

hey, I'm sensitive....about being confused with guntherfan

KCTitus
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Sorry, TC...I had a 1 in 3000 shot of remembering a post author from last week after a weekend of malted hops and various spirits.

KCTitus really hates not having the search feature very much.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 09:26 AM
That decides it for me. That and him laughing about quitting on a radio show.

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Sorry, TC...I had a 1 in 3000 shot of remembering a post author from last week after a weekend of malted hops and various spirits.

KCTitus really hates not having the search feature very much.

just remember, Cans have feelings too....

KCTitus
12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
That decides it for me. That and him laughing about quitting on a radio show.

Agreed...the laughing about it was the worst part.

Cochise
12-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Ask me this 4 years ago and I would have said yes. However, the more he talks, the more I say no to Grunhard. The ROH isn't just what you do on the field, its what you do for the organization and the way he runs his mouth is at times and what he tends to mention from behind the scenes is disgraceful.

:clap:

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
hey, I'm sensitive....about being confused with guntherfan

Guntherfan? I always confused you with The Equalizer. :)

jspchief
12-07-2004, 09:48 AM

That's actually a good point. KC and the Chiefs have done the world for him. He was loved by the fans and treated well by the organization. The idea that he's willing to crap all over that to further his radio career is insulting. Look at the name of the the ring: "The Ring of Honor".

Sorry. I have no inclination to honor someone that's trying to make a career out of dishonoring his former team.

StcChief
12-07-2004, 10:42 AM
No. You don't dishonor your team period.
The stats alone won't do it.