PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs should make a push for Charles Woodson

cmh6476
12-07-2004, 09:50 AM
just as they should have Al Wilson last season. We desperately need a MLB, and who would have fit better than Wilson? Well, maybe a couple peeps, but still. Targeting players from division rivals is a good strategy, especially when they are positions of need.

Now Woodson's a FA after this season? Maybe the raiders franchise him, but maybe not. If they don't the Chiefs really need to go after him. Either make the raiders buck up and pay him more than they want to, or let him go. We should definitely be in the market for a CB, so why not go after a guy like Woodson? Hell, I'd almost be ok with pyle and hearts at safety next year if we could lock up a charles woodson type player.

Then they could either go after a LB or D-Lineman in the draft, and the D has been improved. Somthing I think we failed to do last off-season.

What do you guys think?

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Depends on who else is available. I think Woodson is overrated. He's good, but he's no Champ Bailey.

Straight, No Chaser
12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
What do you guys think?

Consider Woodson tagged. End of fable.

--->

Mr. Laz
12-07-2004, 10:14 AM
nope... woodson is the same mouthy fvck stain that started trashing on his head coach in midseason.

we dont need that

BigChiefFan
12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
nope... woodson is the same mouthy fvck stain that started trashing on his head coach in midseason.

we dont need that
I agree. He's got talent, but he could be detrimental to the team. No thanks.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Will cost more than he's worth, though he would definitely be the best corner on the team.

If we're going to throw large $ at a FA corner, try and get McAllister out of B'More.... or Smoot from DC.

cdcox
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
just as they should have Al Wilson last season.

Al Wilson never hit the open market. If we had pursued him while he was under contract, we would be exposed to tampering charges.

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Depends on who else is available. I think Woodson is overrated. He's good, but he's no Champ Bailey.
Charles is overrated but Champ is the best? Yeah... don't tell Chad Johnson or Jerry Porter, okay?

shakesthecat
12-07-2004, 10:28 AM
I agree. He's got talent, but he could be detrimental to the team. No thanks.

Good grief! You spend half your posts ripping Carl for not improving the team, and then when asked about signing a Pro Bowl CB, you post this gem.

They make medication for Bi-Polar disorder. Seek some.

BigChiefFan
12-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Good grief! You spend half your posts ripping Carl for not improving the team, and then when asked about signing a Pro Bowl CB, you post this gem.

They make medication for Bi-Polar disorder. Seek some. It's called common sense, anybody that can't see that Woodson is all about Woodson, then they need to have their head examined. He called out Callahan publicly last year and ragged on him pretty hard. Jesus Christ, just because I don't think he is the answer, you have to throw out insults? Grow up.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Charles is overrated but Champ is the best? Yeah... don't tell Chad Johnson or Jerry Porter, okay?

He had a couple of bad games...he's still the best CB in the league. I don't think McCalister is any better, he was the one getting schooled by Johnnie Morton, remember?

I don't think Champ ever got burned by Derrick Alexander. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Woodson is an overrated sack of shit.

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Not for nothing, BigChiefFan, but Callahan deserved to get called out. I've got no problems at all with what Charles did because it came after several attempts to talk directly to Callahan. In the week after Charles spoke about it in the press, Callahan admitted that he hadn't spoken to Charles in almost a month.

A Chief fan zinged me at the bar the other day when he said to me, "hey, your ex coach is getting better at what he does. It only took him ONE year to f*** up Nebraska..."

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 10:40 AM

Raiders pass D rankings:

2004: 27th
2003: 19th
2002: 25th
2001: 7th
2000: 26th
1999: 14th
1998: 4th
1997: 30th

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 10:41 AM

Don't tell Tony Gonzalez that...

"I was in the game plan," Gonzalez said. "They called my name a bunch of times. It's just that I couldn't get open. Plain and simple."

After being punished by opposing tight ends all year, the Raiders weren't going to let Gonzalez have his way. So rather than playing the Cal product with a safety, they bumped him coming off the line and covered him with their best cornerback.

"They were putting a (defensive end) over me, and he would jam me," Gonzalez said. "Then the (strong-side linebacker) would jam me. Then over the top, I'd have Woodson. And he's a Pro Bowl corner. He was with me pretty much wherever I went today."

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~10835~2579660,00.html

shakesthecat
12-07-2004, 10:48 AM

C'mon now TNS, we all know KC has a stellar secondary with no room for a Pro Bowl CB.
Especially one with an attitude problem.

And even though we may bitch non-stop about our FO and Coach, I'll sing their praises if they pass on this guy.

StcChief
12-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Woodson no. There's a reason he's a raider

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Woodson no. There's a reason he's a raider
Because we've a stellar history of cornerbacks? From Willie Brown to Michael Haynes to Lester Hayes, to Terry McDaniel to Charles Woodson?

Or maybe it is that Warfield and Bartee fit the "profile" better?

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I remember when you guys had a nice run of cornerbacks going... Lewis... Carter... Hasty...

I hated playing you sons-a-b*tches back then. Even though you guys won this weekend, I MUCH prefer facing a defense with Warfield/Bartee than I used to back when you had honest-to-goodness corners...

Mr. Laz
12-07-2004, 10:58 AM

They make medication for Bi-Polar disorder. Seek some.

and if he said he wanted woodson you'd say he was irrationale and wanted EVERY free agent that came along.

he said he didnt want Woodson, he didnt say he wanted to pass on everyone.

:doh!: :doh!:

cmh6476
12-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I remember when you guys had a nice run of cornerbacks going... Lewis... Carter... Hasty...

I hated playing you sons-a-b*tches back then. Even though you guys won this weekend, I MUCH prefer facing a defense with Warfield/Bartee than I used to back when you had honest-to-goodness corners...
:cry:

shakesthecat
12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
and if he said he wanted woodson you'd say he was irrationale and wanted EVERY free agent that came along.

he said he didnt want Woodson, he didnt say he wanted to pass on everyone.

:doh!: :doh!:

I thought that was how it worked around here? :doh!:

KCTitus
12-07-2004, 11:05 AM
I thought that was how it worked around here? :doh!:

Not for you silly...

Brock
12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I think Woodson is well past his prime, though he is by far better than anyone the Chiefs have.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
So here's the question, in hindsight would you taken Romanowski if it meant that the Colts were forced to punt at least once last January?

Frankie
12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
The Chiefs should make a push for Charles Woodson
No... The Chiefs should make a push for Antrel Rolle.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Doesn't Woodson have chronic turf toe?

jspchief
12-07-2004, 11:13 AM

wow. pwned.:shake: It is impressive that a DB could keep up with a TE though.

Obviously, putting your best corner on our TE completely crippled our passing game. I'm pretty sure we'd let every team do that to us.

shakesthecat
12-07-2004, 11:13 AM
So here's the question, in hindsight would you taken Romanowski if it meant that the Colts were forced to punt at least once last January?

Hell yes. I was one of the few here that wanted KC to sign him.

Gaz
12-07-2004, 11:22 AM

No.

xoxo~
Gaz
Did not like Marty going the “thug” route, either.

DaKCMan AP
12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
No thanks on Woodson.

Now, I'd like to get Jerry Porter ;)

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Doesn't Woodson have chronic turf toe?
No, he had one season where he had turf toe that really bothered him and the doctors said that nothing but rest would fix it. He played through it that season, rested it that off-season, and it hasn't been a problem since.

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 11:55 AM
wow. pwned.:shake: It is impressive that a DB could keep up with a TE though.

Obviously, putting your best corner on our TE completely crippled our passing game. I'm pretty sure we'd let every team do that to us.

Are we talking about Charles Woodson's abilities or the way your passing game performed the other day? I could have sworn it was the former.

Tuckdaddy
12-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Woodson, McCallister or someone else. It shouldn't be hard to find an upgrade. Our guys are not that good. I have liked Warfield this year.

Amnorix
12-07-2004, 12:05 PM
One of my favorite stats this year:

Troy Brown, NE, WR ----> 2 INTs

Charles Woodson, Oak, CB ------> 0 INTs

ROFL ROFL ROFL

jspchief
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Are we talking about Charles Woodson's abilities or the way your passing game performed the other day? I could have sworn it was the former.

I'm talking about your team getting their ass kicked in spite of Woodson's stellar defense.

dtrain
12-07-2004, 12:23 PM
We need players with attitudes who are going to speak up when people aren't doing their job. Where would the "D" be if Gunther was allowed to blow up like he did last game or if one of the players called out the others to step up and get it done. You don't get that kind of fire with guys who "fit the profile!" The "D" should have an attitude like the Marine Corps "kill them all and let god sort'em out"

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
One of my favorite stats this year:

Troy Brown, NE, WR ----> 2 INTs

Charles Woodson, Oak, CB ------> 0 INTs

ROFL ROFL ROFL
That stat is incorrect.

Sure-Oz
12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Anyone would be an improvement over 99% of the defense we have. I just hope we get a few good signings, and an impact defensive player in the draft. No fvcking tweeners and reaches!

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm talking about your team getting their ass kicked in spite of Woodson's stellar defense.
Okay... and what exactly do you expect to come from that conversation? Your team did win. Congratulations.

What I'm talking about - and what this thread was talking about - was whether or not the Chiefs would be better off in picking up Charles Woodson, should he enter the free agent pool.

Amnorix
12-07-2004, 12:43 PM
That stat is incorrect.
It was correct as of a week or two ago, but clearly Woodson picked up a pick recently.

Corrected stats:

Troy Brown -- 2 INTs

Ron Woodson -- 1 INT

:LOL:

Actually, forget that. My favorite stats are these:

Super Bowl Victories in the past 20 years:

New England Patriots ----> 2

Oakland Raiders -----> 0
Dolphins -------> 0
Jets ---------> 0

and

Current Record:

New England Patriots -----> 10-1

Oakland Raiders ------> 4-8

:clap::thumb:ROFL PBJ PBJ:p:p

Amnorix
12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Seriously, though, is there any talk in RaiderLand of axing Turner and grabbing Romeo Crennel?

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
It was correct as of a week or two ago, but clearly Woodson picked up a pick recently.

Corrected stats:

Troy Brown -- 2 INTs

Ron Woodson -- 1 INT

Actually, forget that. My favorite stats are these:

Super Bowl Victories in the past 20 years:

New England Patriots ----> 2

Oakland Raiders -----> 0
Dolphins -------> 0
Jets ---------> 0

and

Current Record:

New England Patriots -----> 10-1

Oakland Raiders ------> 4-8

Amnorix, you must still be drunk. Who is Ron Woodson and which team does he play for? Is he related to Charles Woodson? Or maybe Rod Woodson? Darren Woodson, even?

As for the other stuff... so you've got a hard on for the Raiders. It isn't like that makes you unique... particularly around these parts.

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Seriously, though, is there any talk in RaiderLand of axing Turner and grabbing Romeo Crennel?
Not that I've heard, despite the fact that Romeo Crennell was #1 on my wish list last year.

Amnorix
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Amnorix, you must still be drunk. Who is Ron Woodson and which team does he play for? Is he related to Charles Woodson? Or maybe Rod Woodson? Darren Woodson, even?

As for the other stuff... so you've got a hard on for the Raiders. It isn't like that makes you unique... particularly around these parts.

:doh:

Ron Woodson? I think Rod was the excellent Steelers DB for all those years.

Yeah, must say I hate the Raiders. Between Jack Tatum and Ben Dreith, I spent alot of years hating them. The Snow game made up for all of it, however, and I find my hatred lessened as the scales of justice have rebalanced themselves quite a bit.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Okay... and what exactly do you expect to come from that conversation? Your team did win. Congratulations.

What I'm talking about - and what this thread was talking about - was whether or not the Chiefs would be better off in picking up Charles Woodson, should he enter the free agent pool.

Fine. Putting smack aside, who cares if he shut down Gonzo? He's a CB. He should be able to play tight on a slower player, which is enough to make the QB throw elsewhere. Especially when "elsewhere" is open all day. It just doesn't say much to me. Gonzo is good because he matches up well against LBs and safeties to a point. When there are other options available, there's no use in forcing it to the middle of the field.

Woodson is a good CB. I don't think he's the best. And I definately don't think he's worth the money it would take to get him.

Amnorix
12-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Not that I've heard, despite the fact that Romeo Crennell was #1 on my wish list last year.

I would think RAC would make sense for you guys. Norv Turner, IMHO, is a known commodity, and he'll never take anybody to the promised land. Better to go with an unknown commodity who at least has a chance to do so.

He could also help Rob Ryan in his role as DC for you guys, since they worked closely together in New England for 3 years.

TheNextStep
12-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Fine. Putting smack aside, who cares if he shut down Gonzo? He's a CB. He should be able to play tight on a slower player, which is enough to make the QB throw elsewhere. Especially when "elsewhere" is open all day. It just doesn't say much to me. Gonzo is good because he matches up well against LBs and safeties to a point. When there are other options available, there's no use in forcing it to the middle of the field.

The only reason I brought that up was because I've read on this board ad naseum over the years that Gonzalez would "get his" no matter what the opposition tried to do. In fact, many here have touted him as not only the best TE in the game (which I agree that he is) but as the best TE of all time and a sure-fire first ballot Hall of Famer. Regarding whether or not Gonzo should be well-covered by a cornerback, I've always read here that if you lined a safety or linebacker up on Tony, he'd be too quick... and if you lined a corner up on him, he'd be too physical. Charles Woodson did a damned good job on him and, since this was just two days ago, I figured it was a fairly timely example to bring up. That said, Charles has been having a very good year (too bad the rest of our secondary sucks), just as he did last year.

Woodson is a good CB. I don't think he's the best. And I definately don't think he's worth the money it would take to get him.

If Charles Woodson were two years younger, I'd have no qualms about making him the highest paid cornerback in the NFL. As it is, I'd still lean towards signing him... because he is exceptional.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 02:15 PM
No.

xoxo~
Gaz
Did not like Marty going the “thug” route, either.

Amen :clap:

Saulbadguy
12-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Woodson > Bartee+Warfield+Battle+McCleon

Easily.