PDA

View Full Version : Who are the worst "big name" actors and actresses?

Pages : 1 [2]

Demonpenz
12-07-2004, 05:47 PM
I would probably hit her in "not without my daughter"

AZORChiefFan
12-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Wow. I thought I might be the only person who saw that movie. Was Reese to young at that time for me to be thinking the thoughts I was thinking?

I remember seeing it on Showtime. Then they released it in the theatres. I picked up the DVD for 5 bucks at all places Wal Mart. I too was thinking impure thoughts about lil Reese. Dunno if it's right just saying you're not alone. And who can forget Britney Murphy all cut up and whacked out?

Count Alex's Wins
12-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Harrison Ford is vastly overrated. Good actor, but some people treat him like he is a God. Has been in some roles he was not suited for.

As for actors that plain suck and keep getting jobs, I give you this short, yet concise list:

Kevin Costner (ugh)
Keanu Reeves

Count Alex's Wins
12-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Would you hit "Flying Nun" Sally Field, at the risk of being excommunicated?

I'd hit "Mrs. Doubtfire" Sally Field. That's the cutoff, IMO.

2bikemike
12-07-2004, 06:17 PM
IMHO a lot of these actors have had some good movies and some bad movies.

Personally I am not a big fan of Kevin Spacey. No way he should have won an oscar of American Beauty. But I liked him in a few of his roles like Kaiser Sosa in Usual Suspects.

I saw someone said Murray should have won an oscar for that POS movie he did last year. I can't even remember the name but it sucked. And so did he. He is best in mindless comedies ala Caddyshack and Stripes.

Someone said Dustin Hoffman sucks. They must not be too familiar with his work. That guy has got quite a range if you ask me.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Personally I am not a big fan of Kevin Spacey. No way he should have won an oscar of American Beauty. But I liked him in a few of his roles like Kaiser Sosa in Usual Suspects.
Yeah, but he whacked his fellow gangsters with a corked bat.

David.
12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
I saw someone said Murray should have won an oscar for that POS movie he did last year. I can't even remember the name but it sucked. And so did he. He is best in mindless comedies ala Caddyshack and Stripes.

no Murray was robbed. Lost in Translation was a great movie.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 06:24 PM
If nothing else, that scene where the director is trying to get him express the right emotions for Suntory Time was Oscar worthy.

Jenson71
12-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Lost in Translation...

Dustin Hoffman... played the gimp in Midnight Cowboy, played Ben in The Graduate - a very overrated film. Was in Kramer vs. Kramer (overrated) Tootsie (overrated) Rain Man (overrated, but he was good I guess) Hook... Those are his movies I've seen. Not too unfamiliar, but I do want to see Wag the Dog and I Heart Huckabees

Jenson71
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
BTW, I didn't say he sucks, I just said he was overrated. I think he's alright, just not amazing....7 oscar nominations

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Dustin Hoffman... played the gimp in Midnight Cowboy, played Ben in The Graduate - a very overrated film. Was in Kramer vs. Kramer (overrated) Tootsie (overrated) Rain Man (overrated, but he was good I guess) Hook... Those are his movies I've seen. Not too unfamiliar, but I do want to see Wag the Dog and I Heart Huckabees
UR teh dmub.

Miles
12-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Lost in Translation...

His best may be Papillon. Excellent movie with some great acting. He was also good in Straw Dogs.

Extremely talented actor.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 06:31 PM
His best may be Papillon. Excellent movie with some great acting. He was also good in Straw Dogs.

Extremely talented actor.
Little Big Man

CanadaKC
12-07-2004, 06:36 PM
1) Ben Affleck a lock at #1.....Matt Damon carried "Good Will Hunting" and he hasn't been able to hold a movie without him since. A 20-million dollar paycheck makes me think his agent and publicist are amazing at what they do. His brooding acting is purely brutal.

2) Scott Peterson...the reality entry. Wow was he bad. No one bought those crocodile tears with Diane Sawyer...and the jury sure wasn't convinced.

3) Keanu Reeves...another no-brainer. Can you imagine wht he did to Shakesepare when he played Hamlet?

4) Mark Wahlberg....can't see the appeal at all.

5) Jeff Daniels...more annoying than anything.

6) John Travolta....more like John Ravolta

7) Jude Law...there's something about him that makes you want to smack him in the mouth.

8) Joseph Fiennes...His brother blows him away.

Cochise
12-07-2004, 06:38 PM
3) Keanu Reeves...another no-brainer. Can you imagine wht he did to Shakesepare when he played Hamlet?

"Uhh, dude, outrageous fortune has got these gnarly slings and arrows man!"

VAChief
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Adam Sandler...absolutely horrid at SNL...made sophmoric humor look cerebral by contrast...slightly better than say Paulie Shore...who isn't a big enough name for this list...

2bikemike
12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
It appears to me that the opinions on this thread are very similar to the 100 albums you must toss out thread.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Frazod
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
267 posts on thread about bad actors, and I'm the first to mention Stallone. Wow. :spock:

Frazod
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
And nuthooks for everybody who ripped on Kevin Spacey. Are you f#cking kidding me? He's one of the best in the business.

:stupid:

grandllama
12-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Little Big Man

Excellent movie and about the only movie with him in it that I can stand...

jspchief
12-07-2004, 07:20 PM
267 posts on thread about bad actors, and I'm the first to mention Stallone. Wow. :spock:

Don't you have to be "rated" to be over-rated?

It's like naming Britney Spears on over-rated singers, or mentioning water on a list of what's wet. Too obvious to even garner mentioning.

srvy
12-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Tom Cruis for same reson as Ben Afact if it were not for the supporting cast this guy would be working my job!

Frankie
12-07-2004, 08:30 PM
1) Ben Affleck a lock at #1.....Matt Damon carried "Good Will Hunting" and he hasn't been able to hold a movie without him since. A 20-million dollar paycheck makes me think his agent and publicist are amazing at what they do. His brooding acting is purely brutal.

2) Scott Peterson...the reality entry. Wow was he bad. No one bought those crocodile tears with Diane Sawyer...and the jury sure wasn't convinced.

4) Mark Wahlberg....can't see the appeal at all.

5) Jeff Daniels...more annoying than anything.

6) John Travolta....more like John Ravolta

7) Jude Law...there's something about him that makes you want to smack him in the mouth.

8) Joseph Fiennes...His brother blows him away.

I agree with most of your list. Especially 1 & 2. Couple of comments though:

When did Keanu play Hamlet? :shrug:

Jude Law is under serious consideration for James Bond. :Lin:

David.
12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Tom Cruis for same reson as Ben Afact if it were not for the supporting cast this guy would be working my job!

http://forums.breakthetrend.com/images/smilies/uhh.gif

jspchief
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Please god, let this person become a permanent member....

1adam1238
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I think Jenna Jamison is over-rated......I like the fresh new stuff running around these days.

Nzoner
12-07-2004, 08:36 PM
also overrated
Sean Penn

Like Mike said,it's alot like the albums thread in that it's based on personal preference.Personally,I think Penn is great.

Check out a movie called State Of Grace. from 1990,not only is Penn outstanding but it also stars Ed Harris,Gary Oldman,Robin Wright Penn John C. Reilly and John Tuturro.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006L92U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Frankie
12-07-2004, 08:39 PM

Stallone was GREAT in the first "Rocky" (which would have been a classic had it remained the ONLY Rocky movie. There were talks of this "newcomer" being the next Brando. He either realized he peaked in that movie or $$$ took him in the shallow money-making flicks direction. If he indeed had the talent he squandered it immediately when he switched from "Brando" to "Rambo."

OldTownChief
12-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Dustin Hoffman - I about sh!t when I heard he was in Meet the Fockers. Now I can't watch it.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 08:49 PM
And nuthooks for everybody who ripped on Kevin Spacey. Are you f#cking kidding me? He's one of the best in the business.

:stupid:

True.

BTW check him out in his early career playing Mel Profitt in the series "Wiseguy." I absolutely loved that show and, knowing that you like that genre, I highly recommend you check out (better yet, buy) the DVD box set of (at least) that particular story line.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Don't you have to be "rated" to be over-rated?

It's like naming Britney Spears on over-rated singers, or mentioning water on a list of what's wet. Too obvious to even garner mentioning.

:thumb:
Half a rep for each adage= Full rep for the post.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 08:56 PM

You have a cute accent. Where are you from?

David.
12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
You have a cute accent. Where are you from?

stfu

Frankie
12-07-2004, 09:03 PM

BTW, Cruise is 10 times the actor Aflek is. I hate him anyway though because of what he did to the Jim Phelps character in "Mission Impossible." That was pure sacrilege. :banghead:

Frankie
12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
stfu

What? What's up with the venom? This wasn't even a reply to YOUR post.

David.
12-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I know, I was bored.

CanadaKC
12-07-2004, 10:20 PM
When did Keanu play Hamlet?

Keanu crucified Hamlet was back in the early 90's at the Manitoba Theatre Company in Winnipeg. Because he was a famous Canadian was the only reason he was cast in the role IMO.

Miles
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Keanu crucified Hamlet was back in the early 90's at the Manitoba Theatre Company in Winnipeg. Because he was a famous Canadian was the only reason he was cast in the role IMO.

He was in Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. Keanu attempting to do Shakespeare is really awful. His part in Much Ado was one of the worst mistcasts i have ever seen.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM

Thanks. My confusion was because the only Shakespear based film I remember him in was "Much Ado About Nothing."

aturnis
12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
VIN DIESEL! he sucks as an actor!

David.
12-07-2004, 11:07 PM

SEE, SEE!

Count Alex's Wins
12-07-2004, 11:08 PM

I could kick his ass.

Nzoner
12-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Yet another excellent Sean Penn film from 1984 also starring Christopher Walken and Chris Penn......

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/images/covers/coveri/MGD001271.jpg

Miles
12-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Yet another excellent Sean Penn film from 1984 also starring Christopher Walken and Chris Penn......

Never seen that one but will watch anything with Walken in it. Ill have to check it out.

And yeah State of Grace was ecellent. The acting of Penn, Oldman and Harris was what really made it.

Nzoner
12-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Never seen that one but will watch anything with Walken in it. Ill have to check it out.

It's based on a true story,Walken is one scary mofo in this one.Let me know what you thought once you've seen it.

Frankie
12-07-2004, 11:36 PM
I could kick his ass.
You must trust your running speed then.

Rausch
12-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Woody Harrelson is $#it...

He was good in Natural Born Killers, then horrid in everything else...

Rausch
12-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Yet another excellent Sean Penn film...

No such thing...

Frazod
12-08-2004, 01:25 AM

Oh God. :eek: Keanu doing Shakespeare?

"Dude, something's rotten in the state of Mark's den. Excellent!" ROFL

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
12-08-2004, 01:58 AM
Worst Actor:

OJ Simpson (Nordberg!)

Worst Actress:

Barbara Striesand

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2004, 02:43 AM
I could kick his ass.Holy shit. That guy would totally kick Vin Diesel's ass.

Ralphy Boy
12-08-2004, 06:33 AM
You say you don't like Pitt, but you then you give Troy as an example of his good stuff? Either you haven't seen much of Pitt's work, or you've completely disqualified yourself as having an intelligent opinion in this thread. That probably ranks in the bottom 2 or 3 of his acting performances, barely above Thelma and Louise.

If you want to see his good stuff follow the other recommendations. I'd also add 'A River Runs Through It' to the list.

The thing is, most guys are probably twice as critical of him because he is a pretty face. I know I was. The fact that he got beyond that is proof enough for me that he's a good actor.

I have to agree that Pitt is a good actor, I didn't really think he was that good after seeing Meet Joe Black, because of the way that Anthony Hopkins blew him off the screen in his "of this world...of this time" speech, but then I saw Fight Club and watched him blow away my favorite actor Edward Norton.

Now granted, in both cases it was the way the characters were written, but it took seeing Fight Club and having to rationalize why a hack like Pitt could steal the screen from a pro like Norton. In the end, I had to acknowledge that I was equally impressed with his acting ability and in order to appreciate the character Norton played in the movie, I had to appreciate the character Pitt played in Meet Joe Black.

Gaz
12-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Pachino.

The biggest ham in the business.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tired of seeing Al overact.

MichaelH
12-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Pachino.

The biggest ham in the business.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tired of seeing Al overact.

I liked him in Scarface but in films like Scent of a Woman, I have to agree, he's very full of himself.

Duck Dog
12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
J Lo, without a doubt is the worse actress I have ever had the displeasure of watching.

May as well ad Ben Afflack to the list too.

Over rated, hyped up, manufactured crap!

TNTEICHER
12-08-2004, 08:42 AM

Lost in Translation was an aweful movie. Painful to watch. I lost 2 hours of my life due to that drivle.

Frankie
12-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Worst Actor:

OJ Simpson (Nordberg!)

Worst Actress:

Barbara Striesand

Hey, we are a society of family values now. Lose the sig. :harumph:
;)

On the other hand, it seems to be a "family" thing going on there.

Oh GAWD..... Now I'm sooo confused. :doh!:

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Sean Penn explains it in the very next scene, on the ship...

I must have stepped out for a NoDoz during that scene, because I sure hell don't remember it.

Duck Dog
12-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Hey, we are a society of family values now. Lose the sig. :harumph:
;)

On the other hand, it seems to be a "family" thing going on there.

Oh GAWD..... Now I'm sooo confused. :doh!:

Whats wrong with having fmily values? Is that a bad thing?

David.
12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Lost in Translation was an aweful movie. Painful to watch. I lost 2 hours of my life due to that drivle.

:shrug: you must suck at movies

:p

the Talking Can
12-08-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm sure it has been said hundreds of times already, but Ben Affleck is one of the worst actors of all time. He must suck a lot of ^&*(.

Brock
12-08-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm sure it has been said hundreds of times already, but Ben Affleck is one of the worst actors of all time. He must suck a lot of ^&*(.

He is and pretty much always has been extremely gawdawful. I laughed out loud when they said he was to replace Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan.

I also thought it was funny that "Surviving Christmas" didn't survive Halloween.

Frankie
12-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Whats wrong with having fmily values? Is that a bad thing?

GET THE JOKE! :banghead: :banghead: PUHLEEEEEZ!!!!

Frankie
12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
:shrug: you must suck at movies

:p

I'm not sure I like all connotations of that! ;)

picasso
12-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Keanu Reeves - loved him in Dracula "Dude, your a bat?"
Julia Roberts - highest paid beotch in Hollywood
Keifer Sutherland - Did he do anything but Lost Boys and Flatliners? (you can watch it 20 times a week on TBS)
Nick Nolte - The drunk!!! I mean The Hulk OH YEAH!!
Al Pacino - Overacting wingnut. I like the people who imitate him better these days. Props to Serpico and Scar Face though.
Colin Farell - Mel Gibson in a box minus the batteries
Mark Whalberg - WHAT DID YOU SAY????? I can't hear you moron, talk louder.
Anne Heche - Nothin but nipple! No wonder your a lesbian, or .......not.
Ben Affleck - riding the coat tails of Mr. Bourne.
Sarah Jessica Parker - Winner of the Westminster.

Bearcat2005
12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Brad Pitt. He sucks in everything and gets a shine on casue he has fantastic supporting cast mates.
Ever see a movie he was in where it was just him doing the work?
Ever seen fight club?

Frankie
12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Has anybody mentioned Burt Reynolds?

Brando
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Has anybody mentioned Burt Reynolds?
I agree with you save Boogie Nights..he was awesome in that role.
Personally I can't stand Bill Pullman, Bill Paxton(sp?), Kevin Costner, Ben Affleck(except for anything Kevin Smith did), Josh Harnett, and Leotardo Decrapitard.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 07:12 PM

I agree. I can't believe it got any academy nominations.

Frankie
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Leotardo Decrapitard.
ROFL ROFL

Rain Man
12-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I agree. I can't believe it got any academy nominations.

I'm glad other people feel this way. I didn't think it was horrific, but it just kind of trudged along and never really went anywhere. I would rate it a D+ or C-.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 07:22 PM
I just remembered why Lost in Translation got nominations.

The Director Sophia Coppola!

Well IMHO she can't act and she can't direct.

Brando
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM

I love Bill Murray and bought into the hype of that movie. After watching it I realized having my rectum probed while watching Ghostbusters would have been a better Bill Murray experience.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I love Bill Murray and bought into the hype of that movie. After watching it I realized having my rectum probed while watching Ghostbusters would have been a better Bill Murray experience.

I posted earlier that I thought he was best in his mindless comedies.
He is a comedian and should stick with it.

Brando
12-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't even blame him for ruing this movie. The script was just awful. Rushmore wasn't mindless and I thought that he was great in that.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Okay, I could see maybe how people don't like The Thin Red Line, but what's so horrible about Lost in Translation? Damn people, that movie seemed absolutely made for Bill Murray. Give him some credit, for chrissakes.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't even blame him for ruing this movie. The script was just awful. Rushmore wasn't mindless and I thought that he was great in that.

Yeah, the script was awful. Of course, it won an Oscar for best screenplay you ****ing moron.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 07:48 PM

You obviously missed the subtle humor in his performance. Of course, shooting marshmellows is much funnier to people with IQs lower than Forrest Gumps.

Brando
12-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah, the script was awful. Of course, it won an Oscar for best screenplay you ****ing moron.
It won some awards because of the last name of the director. If you think that Oscars are anything more than political popularity contests you are socially retarded.
Look..I really wanted to like it. It's the type of movie that I usually love, but it was a rotten egg.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
You obviously missed the subtle humor in his performance. Of course, shooting marshmellows is much funnier to people with IQs lower than Forrest Gumps.

No the movie was just lame and it dragged on and on.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
It won some awards because of the last name of the director. If you think that Oscars are anything more than political popularity contests you are socially retarded.
Look..I really wanted to like it. It's the type of movie that I usually love, but it was a rotten egg.

Don't give me that bullshit. Name me some other movies like it... You can't love these certain types, these character mood art pieces, and then just hate this one.

Just for her name like hell....that's the worst arguement I've heard in a while, she won one award. Popularity didn't give Shakespeare the win over Saving Private Ryan. Hey, I'm all for doubting the oscars alot, but she won one ****ing award, didn't sweep the ****ing thing, although it should have...

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Don't give me that bullshit. Name me some other movies like it... You can't love these certain types, these character mood art pieces, and then just hate this one.

Just for her name like hell....that's the worst arguement I've heard in a while, she won one award. Popularity didn't give Shakespeare the win over Saving Private Ryan. Hey, I'm all for doubting the oscars alot, but she won one ****ing award, didn't sweep the ****ing thing, although it should have...

Why not?

You seem to be getting a little worked up over this. That is my perception anyway.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Why not?

You seem to be getting a little worked up over this. That is my perception anyway.

Because it is an essential mood art film...Low budget... Name some movies that are like this, but you liked. It's like saying, "Oh I love gangster movies, but I didn't like Goodfellas."

**** off, I've been nice for too long. Start trashing Lost in Translation and heads will roll.

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Because it is an essential mood art film...Low budget... Name some movies that are like this, but you liked. It's like saying, "Oh I love gangster movies, but I didn't like Goodfellas."

Not everybody has the same tastes as you. And there probably is someone out there who likes gangster movies but not Goodfellas. The world is full of interesting people like that.

**** off, I've been nice for too long. Start trashing Lost in Translation and heads will roll.

ROFL If you want to start turning members against you simply because they don't have the same taste in movies as you, I won't stand in your way.

Brando
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM

Wow..when did this become the Facist State of Jenson?

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Not everybody has the same tastes as you. And there probably is someone out there who likes gangster movies but not Goodfellas. The world is full of interesting people like that.

ROFL If you want to start turning members against you simply because they don't have the same taste in movies as you, I won't stand in your way.

Agreed, It has been stated by me and at least Nzoner that this thread comes down to personal taste. I know that 4 of us watched Lost in Transalation together, and we all thought it sucked. I thought for sure that my SIL would say she loved it, but she too thought it sucked.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:09 PM

Uh huh. Says the I'll-talk-shit-about-d.enise-every-chance-I-can-get-intolerant-of-liberals-anti-war-people asshole. What the hell's wrong with you? Did you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning?

It's not just taste in movies man, it's life, okay? Now bite the curb!

Inspector
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Not sure who's the worst. Lots of those.

Billi Bob Thornton is (IMO) one of the best actors around......Swingblade.....

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Agreed, It has been stated by me and at least Nzoner that this thread comes down to personal taste. I know that 4 of us watched Lost in Transalation together, and we all thought it sucked. I thought for sure that my SIL would say she loved it, but she too thought it sucked.

At least in my experiences, when you watch a movie with a couple of friends, it better be a comedy, cop drama, or a something like Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Uh huh. Says the I'll-talk-shit-about-d.enise-every-chance-I-can-get-intolerant-of-liberals-anti-war-people asshole. What the hell's wrong with you? Did you wake up on the right side of the bed this morning?

You really want to try and draw a comparison here? Make my day, bubba.

Either somebody is having a very bad day, or is trying to pull a Psicosis... I can't decide which.

It's not just taste in movies man, it's life, okay? Now bite the curb!

Uh, yeah, ok.

somebody takes movies a tad bit too seriously

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 08:16 PM
At least in my experiences, when you watch a movie with a couple of friends, it better be a comedy, cop drama, or a something like Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction

Just goes to show how limited your experiences are. When you grow up you will see that what you state is not the case. BTW this was 2 couples my wife and sister in law and Brother in law.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Not sure who's the worst. Lots of those.

Billi Bob Thornton is (IMO) one of the best actors around......Swingblade.....

You mean Sling Blade?

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
You really want to try and draw a comparison here? Make my day, bubba.

Either somebody is having a very bad day, or is trying to pull a Psicosis... I can't decide which.

I'll take "Da Ladder" for $500.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I am a bit stressed out though. Tomorrow we have an hour and a half essay test on either the French Revolution or the American Revolution...

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:20 PM
You mean Sling Blade?

Heh, Swingblade sounds kind of kinky... to me anyway.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Personally, I've done much more in depth studying on The French Revolution. Hopefully, I draw that one.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
See, the French Revolution's causes are many. For one, there's all the philsophies of Locke, Rossau, Montesquie, and Voltaire. You have to understand that it wasn't really the fault of a bad leadership, although the king was pretty incompetent. However, as luck turned out, their reign was during this intellectual spirt, especially from the huge middle class, the third estate. Understand?

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
I am a bit stressed out though. Tomorrow we have an hour and a half essay test on either the French Revolution or the American Revolution...

Better get your ass off the computer and get to studying them! :)

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Better get your ass off the computer and get to studying them! :)

I've spent the last week reading books, taking notes, and reviewing the textbook about them (and Napoleon). I'm pretty much all set, just a little nervous...

I mean, an hour and a half? That's a long time...

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:27 PM
There's just one thing I don't understand: Is this Napoleon guy Bonaparte's brother or son? And why did he kill George Washington?

Miles
12-08-2004, 08:29 PM

I competetly agree with that. Lost in Transalation is one of the better examples of a movie that comes down to personal preference. Plenty of my friends absolutly despize Lost in Translation and i can very easily see why. I also know a few, inculding myself that really liked it. Its one of the bigest hit or miss movies i can think of.

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:30 PM
See, the French Revolution's causes are many. For one, there's all the philsophies of Locke, Rossau, Montesquie, and Voltaire. You have to understand that it wasn't really the fault of a bad leadership, although the king was pretty incompetent. However, as luck turned out, their reign was during this intellectual spirt, especially from the huge middle class, the third estate. Understand?

The American Revolution is just as interesting, if not more so. Of course we didn't have heads rolling down the streets in mass chaos once we made our break official, but that makes it all the more impressive to me.

Miles
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
I've spent the last week reading books, taking notes, and reviewing the textbook about them (and Napoleon). I'm pretty much all set, just a little nervous...

Dont worry it will go by fast. Thats not that long for a test.

Inspector
12-08-2004, 08:32 PM
You mean Sling Blade?
Uh, yeah...

Did I type that?

Gotta cut back on all that cough syrup...

Thanks for noticing the goof!

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM

No shit try sitting through a 5 hour oral board.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
The American Revolution is just as interesting, if not more so. Of course we didn't have heads rolling down the streets in mass chaos once we made our break official, but that makes it all the more impressive to me.

I think it's safe to say ours had a much more peaceful ending in the long term, too...Yeah those Frenchies gullitined everyone...even the King didn't really deserve it, imo. Bunch of radicals. We were pretty lucky to have reasonable, think-before-do forefathers.

Miles
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM

That does sound pretty painful. I just took a 4 hour essay exam this morning...not fun.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM

I'm just going to type very slowly... :)

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:37 PM

Plus, we have the edge because we basically were the example for France...We paved the way...

Miles
12-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm just going to type very slowly... :)

They let you take it on computer? Thats a hell of a lot better than writing out the answers...the only drawback being the teacher can actually read em.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
BTW, if anyone is interested in the French Revolution, read The French Revolution: Turning Points in World History. It's an assortment of essays by different historians. Great stuff, and real short too. There's also an American Revolution version, which I'm sure is just as good.

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
They let you take it on computer? Thats a hell of a lot better than writing out the answers...the only drawback being the teacher can actually read em.

Yeah. The old man's getting soft. Two days ago he switched the number of possible topics from 3 to 2. Not bad, not bad...

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I think it's safe to say ours had a much more peaceful ending in the long term, too...Yeah those Frenchies gullitined everyone...even the King didn't really deserve it, imo. Bunch of radicals. We were pretty lucky to have reasonable, think-before-do forefathers.

The French, well, they just f#cked everything up (par for the course). I've never studied it very much so I am not sure if they lacked the reasonable and able minded leaders we had, or if the able minded leaders just were not reasonable. Our Founders all had different ideas, but they were able to force themselves to work together for the common good - they saw a bigger picture. And one tends to get a sense of emotionalism from the French Revolution rather than reason and emotion. And to make matters worse they completely misunderstood what type of government we had. They just saw democracy. And pure democracy is mob rule. And mobs tend to sway with the wind (the emoitionalism again). And mobs swaying in the wind tend to lead to heads rolling down the streets.

It was a big f#cking mess, to say the least.

Raiderhader
12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Plus, we have the edge because we basically were the example for France...We paved the way...

If you mean in terms of interesting topics to read up on, then yes I agree.

If you mean we had the edge in actually getting the job done, then I whole heartedly disagree. Being the first to do something (or at least something of that nature) is not typically an easy thing to do. The French should have had a much easier time of it than we did because they actually had an example of things to look at. They merely glanced at what we did, instead of closely examining.

David.
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM

I usually find that people who don't like Lost in Translation generally suck at movies.

:D

Nzoner
12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
No such thing...

Exactly what I meant when saying everyone has their personal preferences.

On a related note,I was just watching an interview with David Fincher (director of Seven) on IFC and he was saying how Sean Penn is one of the most amazing actors of our time.

Like I say,to each his own.....

CosmicPal
12-08-2004, 10:40 PM

BS- have you ever seen her sophomore effort- The Virgin Suicides? The Virgin Suicides was a beautifully well-done and hypnotic movie. She might have clout since her father was a great director, but that doesn't take away from the fact that SHE can direct too. That's like saying Peyton Manning sucks because his father was Archie Manning....He sucks because he's an azz and I don't like him. :D

Rausch
12-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Personally, I've done much more in depth studying on The French Revolution. Hopefully, I draw that one.

Negative rep. :shake:

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 11:20 PM
BS- have you ever seen her sophomore effort- The Virgin Suicides? The Virgin Suicides was a beautifully well-done and hypnotic movie. She might have clout since her father was a great director, but that doesn't take away from the fact that SHE can direct too. That's like saying Peyton Manning sucks because his father was Archie Manning....He sucks because he's an azz and I don't like him. :D

Don't think I ever saw Virgin Suicides.

Nzoner
12-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't think I ever saw Virgin Suicides.

Probably not,you won't soon forget it,as if I recall correctly it was based on a true story.

2bikemike
12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Probably not,you won't soon forget it,as if I recall correctly it was based on a true story.

I think I would be more interested in Virgin Deflowering that whole suicide thing seems like a big turn off.

Frankie
12-08-2004, 11:36 PM

You forgot your cheat-sheet. :)

Nzoner
12-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I think I would be more interested in Virgin Deflowering

Is that the one starring Jenna Jamison?

David.
12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
we need like..a film review thread. With all the film buffs on here it could be good.

Nzoner
12-09-2004, 12:19 AM
we need like..a film review thread. With all the film buffs on here it could be good.

I started a thread last Summer called What Movies Did You See Last Week that went over okay.

With the holidays upon us and the Chiefs woes I may try again on Monday and make it a weekly feature showing the dates on each weekly thread.

Personally,I'm always looking for some good recommendations especially in the independent film genre.

Miles
12-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I started a thread last Summer called What Movies Did You See Last Week that went over okay.

With the holidays upon us and the Chiefs woes I may try again on Monday and make it a weekly feature showing the dates on each weekly thread.

Personally,I'm always looking for some good recommendations especially in the independent film genre.

Yeah i remember those. Its a really great idea and and like you said a good way to find some out of the way stuff to check out.

I think i may have gotten a reccomendation for Dirty Pretty Things off of one, which was a great filck.

Frankie
12-09-2004, 08:18 AM

Ladder 49

Any good? (I have a chance to see it this week at the second run theatres nearby)

fan4ever
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Add Robin Williams to this list. No one has ever over-acted more than he does. Even when he's on Letterman or something he's overacting and he's about as funny as getting your pecker caught in a zipper.

Oh yeah, Patch Adams about made me puke.

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Patch Adams was quite possibly the worst ****ing movie I've ever seen.

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I realized having my rectum probed while watching Ghostbusters would have been a better Bill Murray experience.

So, your average Friday night, huh?

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:17 PM
You didn't laugh at that movie?

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:19 PM

You think? He's like one of those posters on that "100 CDs you should throw away" site.

It's mildly amusing.

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:20 PM

This is hilarious. You'd think someone had called Jenson's mother a whore and boo-fooed his lil sis. But, no... they simply didn't like a movie. It's not even a movie HE MADE... just some random flick he liked.

Crazy.

Baby Lee
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Patch Adams was quite possibly the worst ****ing movie I've ever seen.
You want to get positively IRATE over a movie. Read Bonfire of the Vanities, then watch the 'movie.'
It's like watching A Clockwork Orange, starring Ashton Kutcher and Stifler.

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
If you would floss you wouldn't have that problem.

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
They let you take it on computer?

That sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

Baby Lee
I'll go on the record as liking Lost in Translation a great deal, but understanding those who had different expectations, or not familar with the unique experience of spending a great deal of time alone in a foreign setting, who found it boring.
That said, those who bag on the directing and cinematography are FoS.

Alton deFlat
I don't know that you could classify Tom Arnold as a "big time actor", but if you could, he'd get my vote.

Baby Lee
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't know that you could classify Tom Arnold as a "big time actor", but if you could, he'd get my vote.
They gave him the perfect role in True Lies, otherwise I agree.

ENDelt260
12-09-2004, 01:27 PM
A Clockwork Orange, starring Ashton Kutcher and Stifler.

If some jagoff in Hollywood sees this post and starts production, I'm burning your house down.

Baby Lee
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
RE: BotV. Ebert puts it more tactfully than I, perhaps a side effect of his De Palma chubbie.

The Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe's novel about McCoy, was savage and sarcastic, especially in the way it dissected the motives of every single character. Brian De Palma's new movie is lacking in just that quality; it is not subtle or perceptive about the delicate nuances of motive that inspire these people. . . .

What we have here, I think, is a movie that will be enjoyed most by those who haven't read the Tom Wolfe novel. In its glittering surfaces and snapshot performances, it provides a digest version of the Wolfe story, filled with obvious ironies and easy targets. Those who have read the book will be constantly distracted because they know so much more than the movie tells them about the characters. The beauty of the Wolfe book was the way it saw through its time and place, dissecting motives and reading minds. The movie sees much, but it doesn't see through

Donger
12-09-2004, 01:41 PM
What is it with Hollywood making two movies on more or less the same subject at the same time anyway?

Three come to mind immediately:

My Science Project
Weird Science

Armaggedon
Deep Impact

Red Planet
Mission to Mars

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Anyone trashing Lost in Translation is a mongoloid.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 01:56 PM

Tell it to my yak.

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Tell it to my yak.Yo yak is a mongoloid.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Yo yak is a mongoloid.

Ow. That yurt.

Baby Lee
12-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Is he also a Tuvinian Throat Singer?

beavis
12-09-2004, 02:37 PM
They gave him the perfect role in True Lies, otherwise I agree.
I couldn't stand him either, but he was great in that.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 02:44 PM

I found that movie boring. Oh boo hoo, we're a pair of rich people floating around Tokyo (one of the most expensive cities on the planet, I might add), longing for each other but there's an age difference.

*yawn*

The only part I found amusing was when they got chased out of the bar by the Tokyo Marui MP5-toting bartender

beavis
12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
The only part I found amusing was when they got chased out of the bar by the Tokyo Marui MP5-toting bartender
The scene with him standing in the elevator, being a foot taller than everbody else cracked me up.

Frankie
12-10-2004, 01:39 AM
What is it with Hollywood making two movies on more or less the same subject at the same time anyway?

Three come to mind immediately:

My Science Project
Weird Science

Armaggedon
Deep Impact

Red Planet
Mission to Mars

Like Father, Like Son
Big

Tombstone
Wyatt Earp

Troy
Helen of Troy (cable)

The Messenger
Joan of Arc (cable)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thiefs
Robin Hood (forced to cable by competition)

Alexander
Alexander The Great (Starring Leo Di Caprio, mercifully postponed from this year)

munkey
12-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Anyone mention Tango and Cash....

That has to be one of the worst films ever made not to mention the two staring actors....Stalone & Russell

LTownChief
12-10-2004, 02:43 AM
Ed Norton might be the most under-rated actor right now. I think he's awesome in just about everything he does.

that is one of the few posts on this thread that makes sense. Here are some actors that I totally have to disagree with some of you:

Al Pacino? people, people, people. Scarface, Godfather, Serpico, Scent of a woman, Carlito's Way, Heat, Sea of Love...and I cannot think of the rest. the only knock with Pacino is that his latest movies haven't been great at all. But that does not change his past.

Robert Dineiro: the main thing that bothers me with him is his selection, he doesn't always pick the best parts. but you can't rate him as a bad actor, he's been great for way too long: Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, Heat, are a few of the great ones.

Sam Jackson: I can't believe what I heard about Sam, sure he yells when he talks, but he kicks ass! his career started off slow but I think he's an awesome actor.

Kevin Spacey: what? no way, he's a damn good actor

Brad Pitt: I have to put him as a good actor, he has played well in some good movies.

and I can't believe anybody would say Jack Nicholson isnt a good actor.

others like Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Meryl Streep, Robin Williams.

crazy opinions out there!

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2004, 06:39 AM
In addition to Fight Club, Brad Pitt was also great in 12 Monkeys.

David.
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
that is one of the few posts on this thread that makes sense. Here are some actors that I totally have to disagree with some of you:

Al Pacino? people, people, people. Scarface, Godfather, Serpico, Scent of a woman, Carlito's Way, Heat, Sea of Love...and I cannot think of the rest. the only knock with Pacino is that his latest movies haven't been great at all. But that does not change his past.

Robert Dineiro: the main thing that bothers me with him is his selection, he doesn't always pick the best parts. but you can't rate him as a bad actor, he's been great for way too long: Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, Heat, are a few of the great ones.

Sam Jackson: I can't believe what I heard about Sam, sure he yells when he talks, but he kicks ass! his career started off slow but I think he's an awesome actor.

Kevin Spacey: what? no way, he's a damn good actor

Brad Pitt: I have to put him as a good actor, he has played well in some good movies.

and I can't believe anybody would say Jack Nicholson isnt a good actor.

others like Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Meryl Streep, Robin Williams.

crazy opinions out there!

yeah...but....you have a PETA avatar.

beavis
12-10-2004, 10:19 AM
In addition to Fight Club, Brad Pitt was also great in 12 Monkeys.
Seven is a great flick also. With another great actor, Morgan Freeman.

Andoverer
12-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Hands down, the actor I avoid at all costs is Hugh Grant. How many light-hearted romantic comedies can one person stand to be in?
I heard he is pondering retirement which I say "Yippee!" to.

Rain Man
12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Hands down, the actor I avoid at all costs is Hugh Grant. How many light-hearted romantic comedies can one person stand to be in?
I heard he is pondering retirement which I say "Yippee!" to.

If he didn't have a British accent, he'd be an assistant choreographer for Up with People's Philadelphia chapter.

warpaint99
12-10-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't understand the Brad Pitt or Anjolina Jolie media euphoria. Access hollywood and ET are such filthy pimps for interviews.

Baby Lee
12-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't understand the Brad Pitt or Anjolina Jolie media euphoria. Access hollywood and ET are such filthy pimps for interviews.
Looks.

Brad is a good actor, and I understand that women consider him dreamy.

Jolie, regardless of her acting skills, is almost too perfect to be real. She played Larra Croft for a reason. Her attributes are like something airbrushed on the side of a mid-70s EconoVan.

Lightning Rod
12-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Alec, Billy, Stephen, Daniel… yeh pretty much any Baldwin

Q: Why is everyone so obsessed about Baldwin Brothers?
A: Baldwin Brothers are the ultimate paradox. On the one hand they appear handsome and charming, but in reality, they're washed up drug addicts who play Dungeons and Dragons while mommy brings them Jelly sandwiches.

Deberg_1990
12-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Alec, Billy, Stephen, Daniel… yeh pretty much any Baldwin

Actually Alec is pretty decent at times. Hes better at playing bit character parts than when he is actually the the lead, although I thought he made the best Jack Ryan. The other brothers you are right about.

ENDelt260
12-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Her attributes are like something airbrushed on the side of a mid-70s EconoVan.

Nice.

Rain Man
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM

Angelina kisses girls, for one thing.

Frankie
12-10-2004, 02:00 PM
With another great actor, Morgan Freeman.
Amen to that. :thumb:

Frankie
12-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Looks.

Brad is a good actor, and I understand that women consider him dreamy.

I don't get it.:shrug: He's got that dime-a-dozen look you see often on any college campus in this country. I suppose he's not butt-ugly, but very common-looking. Some great marketing musta been done concerning him.

beavis
12-10-2004, 02:05 PM
If you're watching that show, you've answered your own question.

Brad Pitt is one of the best actors of this era, IMO.

Baby Lee
12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I don't get it.:shrug: He's got that dime-a-dozen look you see often on any college campus in this country. I suppose he's not butt-ugly, but very common-looking. Some great marketing musta been done concerning him.
Are you asking ME? :shrug:

Raiderhader
12-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Are you asking ME? :shrug:

Why not? We all know what a fine judge of man flesh you are.

Alton deFlat
12-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Those two guys on the Sonic commercials are way over-rated.

Baby Lee
12-10-2004, 02:15 PM
The only use I have for attractive men, is as an exemplar in the neverending quest to figure out what women want.

beavis
12-10-2004, 02:17 PM
The only use I have for attractive men, is as an exemplar in the neverending quest to figure out what women want.
Let me know as soon as you figure that out.

Frankie
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
ROFL
I didn't wanna say that (to avoid misunderstandings). But B-Lee does seem to reveal a hidden fascination for Pitt. :hmmm: