PDA

View Full Version : career day: for Edwards

LTownChief
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Chargers | Edwards Has Career Day - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:06:01 -0800

Nick Schenck, of Chargers.com, reports San Diego Chargers LB Donnie Edwards recorded a career-high 20 tackles in Week 13 against the Denver Broncos.

goodness, weren't most of you all happy that he left KC? after a few pretty damn good seasons for us, he signs on with the Chargers because we were too cheap to resign him, most of the thoughts around here were "ya, he wasn't that good anyways"

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Evidently, GRob got to apply his 'profile' one time. He applied it to Edwards and found him lacking.

Cochise
12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
after a few pretty damn good seasons for us, he signs on with the Chargers because we were too cheap to resign him

False.

Grob didn't want him.

Chiefnj
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
The Chiefs offered him a contract, so the GRBOB scapegoat isn't entirely true.

|Zach|
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I always liked Edwards...

Chiefnj
12-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Here are some good quotes right after Edwards was released:

"Donnie is a good football player ... a very good football player," Vermeil said in Indianapolis, where he is attending the NFL scouting combine. "He fits our profile. But whether you can continue to keep investing more money in one specific position at the expense of other positions and the improvement of the overall football team, you've got to be careful doing that."

and

"The Kansas City Chiefs, who cut Donnie Edwards when he refused to accept a $3 million a year salary, may have found their $3 million linebacker Monday.

The Chiefs signed Bears linebacker Warrick Holdman to a four-year, $12 million offer sheet that included a $2 million signing bonus Monday evening."

ChiefsFire
12-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Warrick Holdman???????
I have no idea who the h e double hockey sticks that was

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Warrick Holdman???????
I have no idea who the h e double hockey sticks that was
A 'monster' we thought we snagged, who the Bears snagged back on a technicality. He repaid them with a career ending injury in TC.

ChiefsFire
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
A 'monster' we thought we snagged, who the Bears snagged back on a technicality. He repaid them with a career ending injury in TC.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so he never actually played for KC????

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
So let me get this straight, GRob didnt want Edwards but wanted to keep Warfield?? Remember at the time it was basically signing Warfield over Edwards. That should tell you all you need to know about GRob's talent evaluation skillz right there. I knew those moves would come back to haunt us in the long run. Just one of many boneheaded front office decsions and reason number 378 on why our defense is ranked where its been for the past 3 years or so.....sigh...

el borracho
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I was ok with letting Edwards go because he isn't worth the money he is getting. Edwards makes a lot of tackles but gets dragged too often.

2bikemike
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I always liked Donnie Edwards as well. Its a shame the Chiefs didn't keep him. Not only could we use a guy like him right now but I also have an Autographed 59 jersey in my closet that is basically worthless.

Cochise
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
So let me get this straight, GRob didnt want Edwards but wanted to keep Warfield?? Remember at the time it was basically signing Warfield over Edwards. That should tell you all you need to know about GRob's talent evaluation skillz right there. I knew those moves would come back to haunt us in the long run. Just one of many boneheaded front office decsions and reason number 378 on why our defense is ranked where its been for the past 3 years or so.....sigh...

There was something on the board like a week ago about how Robinson didn't want him, that he didn't think he fit his defense or something like that.

TEX
12-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Chargers | Edwards Has Career Day - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:06:01 -0800

Nick Schenck, of Chargers.com, reports San Diego Chargers LB Donnie Edwards recorded a career-high 20 tackles in Week 13 against the Denver Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons).

goodness, weren't most of you all happy that he left KC? after a few pretty damn good seasons for us, he signs on with the Chargers because we were too cheap to resign him, most of the thoughts around here were "ya, he wasn't that good anyways"

Not true at all. Most around here felt it was a huge mistake to let him go and it was made worse when we signed Barber for more $$$ than it would have cost to keep Edwards... :shake:

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Not true at all. Most around here felt it was a huge mistake to let him go and it was made worse when we signed Barber for more $$$ than it would have cost to keep Edwards... :shake:

BINGO! IM not saying Edwards is the greatest LB out there or anything or he would have made the difference, most likely not, but hes still a better LB than anything we have on our roster currently.

2bikemike
12-07-2004, 05:50 PM

And IIRC didn't Donnie take equal to or less than the Chiefs offer to play for San Diego?

XXXshogunXXX
12-07-2004, 06:12 PM
hah.. alot of you said youd take fujita over edwards because he rides rbs into the end zone. I laughed when I saw him knock droughns down on a solo tackle saving a 25 yard long run to the end zone. He can cover too...

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 06:40 PM
hah.. alot of you said youd take fujita over edwards because he rides rbs into the end zone. I laughed when I saw him knock droughns down on a solo tackle saving a 25 yard long run to the end zone. He can cover too...

I can't wait to watch Marty choke in the playoffs.

I'll get all nostalgic and misty-eyed.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 07:04 PM
There was something on the board like a week ago about how Robinson didn't want him, that he didn't think he fit his defense or something like that.

How could that be? I saw Donnie miss tackles.

tommykat
12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
I believe I even heard/read that Coach was sorry he was let go.

FloridaChief
12-07-2004, 07:16 PM
I liked Donnie but he wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference for us in the last four years...

TEX
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I liked Donnie but he wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference for us in the last four years...

I agree to a point but when we did have him, we were ranked about 22 I believe. The year he left we were dead last and haven't been better than 28 or so since... :hmmm:

TEX
12-07-2004, 07:22 PM
And IIRC didn't Donnie take equal to or less than the Chiefs offer to play for San Diego?

Yes, he took less.

TEX
12-07-2004, 07:24 PM
BINGO! IM not saying Edwards is the greatest LB out there or anything or he would have made the difference, most likely not, but hes still a better LB than anything we have on our roster currently.

Yep, and his best years in KC was when he played MLB. That just adds insult to injury. He's playing great in the middle in San Diego too.

Ralphy Boy
12-07-2004, 07:36 PM
I remember back in 2001 when Donnie was faster than any of our WR's...no I'm not BS'ing, he was faster than ALL of them.

Also, I remember how bad DV was at evaluating talent on D when he said that Barber was capable of some things that we hadn't had at LB in quite a long time, eluding to DT. What a complete crock.

I have always had the utmost respect for Donnie and loved it when San Diego came back to KC and Donnie kissed the field at Arrowhead as a sign of respect during his intro.

I also always thought that he could have been an all world, multiple Pro Bowl selection, strong safety. He has great coverage skills and our defense sorely lacks him and his leadership right now. I'm sure that if Gun had been here then, he'd have never been allowed to escape.

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 07:41 PM
God I really hate Greg Robinson now.