PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a soldier....

tommykat
12-07-2004, 06:40 PM
http://www.soldiersangels.org/heroes/index.php

This is one site......just go to adopt a soldier. I got a guy called Matthew today. This really makes me happy that we can support them through email....they can't respond that way, but can write. Merry Christmas to all of them and I hope some here adopt a soldier. :clap:

|Zach|
12-07-2004, 06:42 PM
I can see a young brave soldier with the look of utter confusion on his face after reading one TK's emails. Hopefully he can get some of thier code breakers to work on it...

Cool site...

Ugly Duck
12-07-2004, 06:43 PM
If I didn't know that you are a lousy despicable ChiefsFan.... I'd say that you are kinda OK, Tommycat!

Warrior5
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Kudos to you, girl.

tommykat
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
http://www.operationmilitarypride.org/

Another site...........could the mods make this a sticky for the holidays?

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 06:46 PM
I'll bet that soldier is saying WTF.

FloridaChief
12-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Make his holiday: Send him a picture of your tits...

Pants
12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
I'll bet that soldier is saying WTF.

We'll start hearing of suicides in the army pretty soon.

tommykat
12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey this is something cool for people defending our freedom! At least I told him about my washing machine incident..........they need laughter and have no contact with the outside world!

Go Planet and do something cool and make a solider have some happiness!:clap:

Saulbadguy
12-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Washing machine incident?

Fairplay
12-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Washing machine incident?

You don't want to know.

|Zach|
12-07-2004, 06:55 PM
We'll start hearing of suicides in the army pretty soon.
Awesome post...

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
"Guess how I injured myself today?"

"A roadside explosive?"

"No."

"Incoming mortar round?"

"No, but you're getting closer."

"Car bomb?"

"No. I tripped on the carpet."

(Silence.)

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 07:00 PM
So does the Soldier talk back to you?

Katipan
12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
If I can spam for 1/3 of a second for a goooood cause.

http://www.operationmilitarypride.org/

Another site...........could the mods make this a sticky for the holidays?

This is ran by one of the sweetest women ever. 365 days a year from her Arizona garage. Total dedication.

A "sister" site is www.lbeh.org... It a non profit that buys airplane tickets to bring Servicemen/women home for the holidays. Every dollar donated is used and displayed, as is every ticket purchased. (http://www.lbeh.org/status.php) Last year they did 161 tickets.

tommykat
12-07-2004, 07:04 PM
If I can spam for 1/3 of a second for a goooood cause.

This is ran by one of the sweetest women ever. 365 days a year from her Arizona garage. Total dedication.

A "sister" site is www.lbeh.org (http://www.lbeh.org)... It a non profit that buys airplane tickets to bring Servicemen/women home for the holidays. Every dollar donated is used and displayed, as is every ticket purchased. (http://www.lbeh.org/status.php) Last year they did 161 tickets.

Thank you.........I only found those 2 and stopped.:clap:

OldTownChief
12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Cool idea Tommykat, can I send one an Ann Coulter doll?

|Zach|
12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
So does the Soldier talk back to you?
Yes.

http://thinklings.org/b2/images/Kellen%20Winslow%20&%20Russ%20Pulley.jpg

Count Zarth
12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Yes.

LMAO, Zach on the spot with the humor. Rep!

Iowanian
12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
I had thought about posting something similar to this TK.

Last week, while brideowanian and I were putting together some boxes for relatives deployed, we'd been discussing doing something for a "random unit" we didn't know........that night, our Local paper had an article about an Army Unit at a FOB near the Syrian boarder who had taken alot of casualties.....It was from the Units chaplain to some family member who had passed it on.

We russled up $150 and bought some items to send to the unit......baby wipes, Arm and hammer Powder, batteries of different sizes, fingernail clippers, toothpaste, razors, hard candy, candy canes, a football, Comedy DVD...and some international phone cards.......we put the phone cards into Christmas cards addressed to "Soldier"....typed a letter and sent the box to the Unit Chaplain, asking him to distribute the items.

I'd challenge you all to consider doing the same.......Alot of Men and women are away from home this Holiday, while we're in our warm homes, bitching about the hassle of Shopping. I'm told that some of those same Men have no families who write, recieve no packages or cards.

When some coworkers saw me putting the box together, they asked questions, and pitched in and paid for some phone cards, and filled out their own cards to add to the box.

I challenge you all to consider making a similar simple gesture.

Iowanian
12-07-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm not really sure how to locate a unit, but I'm sure others do.

Here is a link to another program
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140622,00.html

Pants
12-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Yes.

HAHAHA, rep.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 09:28 PM

Last week, while brideowanian and I were putting together some boxes for relatives deployed, we'd been discussing doing something for a "random unit" we didn't know........that night, our Local paper had an article about an Army Unit at a FOB near the Syrian boarder who had taken alot of casualties.....It was from the Units chaplain to some family member who had passed it on.

We russled up $150 and bought some items to send to the unit......baby wipes, Arm and hammer Powder, fingernail clippers, toothpaste, razors, hard candy, candy canes, a football, Comedy DVD...and some international phone cards.......we put the phone cards into Christmas cards addressed to "Soldier"....typed a letter and sent the box to the Unit Chaplain, asking him to distribute the items.

I'd challenge you all to consider doing the same.......Alot of Men and women are away from home this Holiday, while we're in our warm homes, bitching about the hassle of Shopping. I'm told that some of those same Men have no families who write, recieve no packages or cards.

When some coworkers saw me putting the box together, they asked questions, and pitched in and paid for some phone cards, and filled out their own cards to add to the box.

Very classy, dude.

tommykat
12-07-2004, 10:32 PM

We russled up $150 and bought some items to send to the unit......baby wipes, Arm and hammer Powder, batteries of different sizes, fingernail clippers, toothpaste, razors, hard candy, candy canes, a football, Comedy DVD...and some international phone cards.......we put the phone cards into Christmas cards addressed to "Soldier"....typed a letter and sent the box to the Unit Chaplain, asking him to distribute the items.

You are indeed a class dude.........PLEASE MODS make this a sticky!!

The soldiers want powered gadoraid bad! Spelling does not count....Come on all.......what a way to reach out.:clap:

tommykat
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Please Mods..........put this at the top! What a wonderful Christmas present to all. :clap:

tommykat
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Please Mods..........put this at the top! What a wonderful Christmas present to all. :clap:

Come on guys and girls...........this is good and should stay at the top during the holidays......I'm very thankful for our soldiers, Thank God we are free..........determine that as you will.

Pants
12-07-2004, 11:29 PM
The soldiers want powered gadoraid bad!

Powdered Gatorade?

Iowanian
12-08-2004, 08:36 AM
I also included beef jerky, slim jims and some "powdered Gatorade" and Koolaide mixes.......easymac.....stuff like that.

Later, I plan on collecting some books to ship to my brothers unit...I guess there is alot of downtime, and even guys who don't read.....read. I'm sure the planet could be a big help in that.

If anyone is interested in shipping something to the, you'd better get on it quick as it takes up to 2 weeks to get a package, and Christmas is coming soon.

Iowanian
12-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Not this easy.........

Alot of you talk the talk about supporting troops..........even if you don't "support the admin and war".

This is a great opportunity to step up.

TheNextStep
12-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I also included beef jerky, slim jims and some "powdered Gatorade" and Koolaide mixes.......easymac.....stuff like that.

Later, I plan on collecting some books to ship to my brothers unit...I guess there is alot of downtime, and even guys who don't read.....read. I'm sure the planet could be a big help in that.

If anyone is interested in shipping something to the, you'd better get on it quick as it takes up to 2 weeks to get a package, and Christmas is coming soon.

This is true. I sent numerous packages while my step-father was deployed, including a huge box of books. I sent paperbacks as we could fit more of them into the box. When my step-father returned, he said that it didn't even matter what the books were about, they all were all appreciated. Basically, they set up their own library - "take a book, leave a book."

Iowanian
12-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm going to do this later........I'll maybe either ask planeteers to send some books to me, or to an address "over there" or whatever works best.

I've been told that drink mix, candy(chocolate, but it melts) batteries are all "high value items".

TheNextStep
12-08-2004, 04:19 PM
DVDs were a big hit, too. I sent "Blues Brothers" and that other Ackroyd/Belushi flick where Belushi was the crazy assed fighter pilot and the premise was that the Japanese in WWII were trying to attack the west coast (the name is escaping me because I haven't seen it in a long time). Got both of them off of WalMart's shelves for under 10 bucks each.

TheNextStep
Oh, and instead of chocolate, consider sending red licorice. Doesn't melt as easily.

Iowanian
I sent "the blue collar comedy tour" and a string of Shotgun shell Christmas lights too.

tommykat
12-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Bump.............I got a very nice person. I just hope you all adopt a soldier.

tommykat
12-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Bump..........I hope some here have done this.......what a cool thing to do for them!

Iowanian
12-15-2004, 11:09 AM
For anyone interested in actually supporting someone more than a sticker in your window...this site appears to have some good suggestions.

http://www.operationlettersfromhome.com/carepackages2.html