PDA

View Full Version : KC Star Chiefs Notes: Holmes' season may be over

tk13
12-08-2004, 01:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10363448.htm

Holmes' year may be over

Vermeil doesn't want to rush recovery

By IVAN CARTER The Kansas City Star

Running back Priest Holmes, who will miss his fifth consecutive game with a knee injury, was to sit down Tuesday night with coach Dick Vermeil and team president/general manager Carl Peterson to discuss his status for the remainder of the season.

Holmes hasn't been “doing as well as I would've liked” in his workouts, Vermeil said, and the team is now saying that it will be up to Holmes as to whether he returns this season.

“The original recovery time was four weeks, and we're at four weeks and I don't think he's anywhere close to being ready to play,” Vermeil said. “Is he going to be ready in two weeks? I don't know. I don't know.

“But I'm going to get a re-evaluation with the doctors and talk with Priest and everything else and see where he is. I don't want Priest Holmes to feel pressure, because the most important thing is that he heals properly so he can come back and be 100 percent next year. If it means sitting out (the season) and that's the best thing to do, that's exactly what we'll do. But obviously, he isn't ready to play after four weeks.”

While Vermeil and Peterson have each expressed a desire to see Holmes play again before the end of the season, Vermeil on Tuesday appeared to back off that stance while discussing Holmes' status.

“I have to wait and talk to Priest because I think it's more important what he thinks is best,” Vermeil said. “I don't want him to feel pressure from me or the organization because it doesn't exist.”

• DUI HEARING SET FOR WARFIELD: A preliminary hearing for Chiefs defensive back Eric Warfield was scheduled Tuesday for Jan. 5.

Warfield, 28, is charged in Johnson County District Court with a felony count of driving under the influence of alcohol.

During a brief court hearing Tuesday, defense attorney Kevin Regan said he was discussing a possible resolution of the case with prosecutors and hoped to reach an agreement before the January date.

The charge against Warfield is a felony because he has two prior DUI convictions. He is also charged in the case with misdemeanor counts of driving with a suspended license and having no proof of insurance.

The charges stem from a traffic stop by Overland Park police in September.

The Star's Tony Rizzo contributed to this story

OldTownChief
12-08-2004, 01:21 AM
A 3rd DUI carries a mandatory 90 days in the slammer, I wonder what Warfield will get.

Demonpenz
12-08-2004, 01:26 AM
i remember when i got my 3rd dui. it sucked, but i celebrated by going out and getting hammered after it was over