PDA

View Full Version : What the hell are the Royals gonna do with Affeldt?

cmh6476
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I just read in the local paper that they don't plan on offering him a contract by the Dec. 20 deadline, thus making him a free agent.

Hell, I thought he had secured the job as the royals closer. At the least I thought we'd develop him into a major league star, at which point we couldn't afford him, and then lose him to another team.

wtf? :shrug:

KingPriest2
12-08-2004, 11:11 AM
This should clear it up

email this print this
Posted on Tue, Dec. 07, 2004

As arbitration nears, Affeldt thinks he has million-dollar arm

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

Royals closer Jeremy Affeldt, backed by the muscle of arbitration eligibility for the first time, has a specific figure in mind whenever the club gets around to serious negotiations on a new contract.

“Something in the seven-figure range,” he said. “I look at some of the other guys who are doing what I'm doing, and I think I'm just as good.

“I'm not saying I deserve what someone who has been around six or seven years is getting, but I think the Royals need to ask, ‘What is he worth to us?' ”

Seven figures translates to $1 million.

Affeldt, 25, made $350,000 in 2004, when he became the club's closer in late May after opening the season in the rotation. He converted 13 of 17 save opportunities and had a 2.67 ERA as a reliever before a miserable final week in which he surrendered seven runs in three innings.

Overall, he was 3-4 with a 4.95 ERA in 38 games, including eight starts.

“I have no problem with a multi-year deal,” he said, “but I don't want to just settle for something. I don't think my numbers reflect my (value) because I haven't been in the same role for an entire season.”

Last season marked the third straight year that Affeldt split time between the bullpen and rotation. This season, he wants the promise of a regular role.

“I've been a team player,” he said, “and I've always tried to do what they asked me to do. If they want me to start, that's fine. If they want me to be the closer, that's fine, too. But I'd really like to see whether I can excel if I stick to one position.”

That shouldn't be a problem.

“Our plan,” general manager Allard Baird said, “is he will enter spring training with the closer's job as his to lose.”

Baird declined to address Affeldt's salary expectations beyond saying, “There's been early good discussion.”

Affeldt and right-hander Miguel Asencio are the only Royals eligible for arbitration. The club merely has to offer either a contract by Dec. 20 to retain their rights.

“I thought there would be a little more in-depth communication at this point,” Affeldt said. “I guess they're just working on other things, but I'm pretty sure they're going to make an offer.

“They've already made plans for me to get together with (new pitching coach) Guy Hansen. “That shows they still want me.”

Appier near deal

The Royals appear close to meeting today's club-imposed deadline for reaching agreement with pitcher Kevin Appier on a minor-league contract.

“We're optimistic that we can get something done (today),” assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson said.

Any deal must be completed today because the club won't offer arbitration. Free agents who aren't offered arbitration by today's deadline can't sign with their former clubs until May 1.

Appier turned 37 on Monday. He made just two major-league starts last season after returning from elbow surgery before suffering a strained forearm. He made only five minor-league appearances thereafter before retiring temporarily in July.

The Royals want to sign Appier to a minor-league deal to avoid putting him on the 40-man roster. The contract is expected to contain hefty performance bonuses if he succeeds in winning a job in the club's rotation.

Appier is 169-137 with a 3.74 ERA in 16 big-league seasons. He is the Royals' all-time leader in strikeouts with 1,458 and ranks fourth in wins, losses and games started.

Baird said the Royals won't offer arbitration to any of their five remaining free agents: third baseman Joe Randa, infielder Desi Relaford, catcher Kelly Stinnett, outfielder Juan Gonzalez and Appier. Left-hander Dennys Reyes has already signed with San Diego.

In addition to losing negotiating rights until May 1, a club failing to offer arbitration forfeits its right to a compensatory draft pick if the player signs elsewhere.

Bautista ailing

Right-hander Denny Bautista allowed three walks, four hits and five runs while failing to record a single out in his last start for Estrellas in the Dominican winter league. He didn't get the loss, but his ERA jumped to 7.71 in six starts.

“He told us he's been pitching with a pain in his side,” Baird said. “We had him examined, and it turned out that he had kidney stones.”

The ailment isn't considered serious, but there's no word yet on when Bautista will return to the mound.

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send e-mail to bdutton@kcstar.com

ENDelt260
12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Seven figures translates to $1 million.

For the morons that happen to be reading the article.

cmh6476
12-08-2004, 11:33 AM
but the article in the st. joe paper today said they weren't going to offer him a contract. It was just an AP article, but still.

So that means he won't be a royal next season?

I guess I'm still confused.

I did get the 7 figures was a million dollars part though before endelt pointed it out :thumb:

KingPriest2
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
but the article in the st. joe paper today said they weren't going to offer him a contract. It was just an AP article, but still.

So that means he won't be a royal next season?

I guess I'm still confused.

I did get the 7 figures was a million dollars part though before endelt pointed it out :thumb:

Read the KC Star article and that should tell you all that you need to know.

cmh6476
12-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Read the KC Star article and that should tell you all that you need to know.
i did :(

KingPriest2
12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
He is a Royal do you don't need to worry about it. Don't read anything into the AP article you read.

tk13
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
That was a misprint. The original AP article on Yahoo Sports said the same thing... but later was changed and the words "do not" were taken out of the article... it was a misprint.

Deberg_1990
12-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Who cares? This hapless organization will end up ruining him just like they have every other pitcher they try and develop the past 10 years. Sorriest organization in MLB.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-08-2004, 05:51 PM
They probably want to save some cash so they can make a run at that big "impact bat" they want so badly.........Ellis Burks!

ROFL

Saggysack
12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Jeremy Affeldt's upside is worth every freakin penny, 750K-1mil-2mil, don't matter, he's worth it. JMHO :)

Ari ümlaüt
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Affeldt is on the cusp... he needs to not be so demanding at this stage of the game, and worry aobut getting better.