PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Dawes going after fans?

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 08:17 AM
In his latest column: <a href="http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/07/dawes_sports_talk_caller/"> Sports Talk Caller</a>, Rufus decided it wise to deride fans; in particular, those who call in/listen to sports talk radio. Fatlock, of course, is jumping all over this one. (probably because he and KK are referenced in the piece; not by name of course, but obvious, thinly veiled reference).

The point Fatlock and Maas are trying to make is this is how the KC Chiefs view their fanbase: stupid, loudmouthed, with uninteresting lives. Otherwise why would they allow a PR gaffe like this to occur?

Do not try to deny that it a gaffe... it most certainly is. When a regularly occurring piece on the team's official site berates and derides its fan base, a mistake has been made. A content editor most certainly should have stepped in here. It is unwise to deride one's fanbase; <i>especially</i> in the midst of a gawdawful losing season.

Thoughts?

shakesthecat
12-09-2004, 08:22 AM
That's it! I'm never buying season tickets again.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 08:23 AM
I think Dawes is correct.

BTW, he did not deride all fans, nor did he deride all fans who call in to sports shows. He was very specific concerning the target of his column. Did you miss that part?

And you can color me shocked that Whitlock and Maas are looking for some cheap publicity.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not the least bit insulted.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Oh, so it's okay to deride the fanbase as long as you are <i>specific</i> about it? :hmmm: Gotcha.

~ Waiting for Dawes' "Internet Bulletin Board Poster" with giddy anticipation

ClearmontChief
12-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I was pretty pissed when I read the article. I e-mailed the Chiefs from the 'contact us' feature on the website.

Then, this morning, I e-mailed the acticle, link, and my comments to Mike & Mike's ESPN Radio show. Let them know what the Chiefs management thought about the fanbase, sportstalk Radio, and media...anybody's who's been critical of them during this gawdawful season.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 08:30 AM
The people who fit Dawes’ description are probably up in arms about it.

I do not fit that description, so I do not see the problem.

When he derides “cool, sexy, knowledgeable BB posters who like Tequila Rose,” then I will grab my pitchfork and storm the castle.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready to pounce, though.

BigChiefFan
12-09-2004, 08:35 AM
The people who fit Dawes’ description are probably up in arms about it.

I do not fit that description, so I do not see the problem.

When he derides “cool, sexy, knowledgeable BB posters who like Tequila Rose,” then I will grab my pitchfork and storm the castle.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready to pounce, though.
Insulting ANY of the fans is assinine and petty. Ever heard don't bite the hand that feeds you?

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 08:37 AM
I think he crossed the line. The hosts are fair game... comes with the territory. To go after the fans, ANY fans, however is a big time no-no.

The Chiefs <i>have</i> made a PR blunder with this one... it would be wise to distance themselves from the article (hard to do, as Dawes is a fixture on their official site)

FWIW, I don't fall into the subcategory of fan Dawes refers to here either, but I still find it highly offensive nonetheless. Again, you don't attack your fan base.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 08:38 AM
If you are insulted, then quit feeding them.

But why should I be outraged when Dawes correctly describes the behavior of some Chiefs fans?

xoxo~
Gaz
Just does not feel the rage.

Skip Towne
12-09-2004, 08:40 AM
He's right. I'm too stupid to buy tickets.

shakesthecat
12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
If you are insulted, then quit feeding them.

Hey! Quit using common sense.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Maybe the rest the fans will rise up to defend the Sports Talk Caller and cast Dawes down.

If Dawes’ column suddenly disappears, I will know why.

xoxo~
Gaz
Feels no great loss either way.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 08:42 AM
It's a problem when the Chiefs post it on their official site. It implicitly sanctions the take. Does not matter that they write a disclaimer.... it's an 'official' op-ed piece on their official team site that <i>berates its fan base</i>.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Apparently, I take the disclaimer seriously and you do not.

xoxo~
Gaz
Misplaced his outrage.

Iowanian
12-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I'll start toching buildings when the wrath turns to Internet Football message boards and guys who make websites about coaches........Oh wait.......We got that hatemail from Porkchop Gretz LAST season.

Its foolish of them to do. Its the same mentality when they call for the fans to turn out..."this game rides on the 12th man".......the Fan shows up, shouts so loud that he nears unconciousness, has no voice and his hands hurt from beating the seat in front of him........................The team fails to make a single defensive stop.........some fans leave.................and they are bashed by the coaches.

TheNextStep
12-09-2004, 08:55 AM
The point Fatlock and Maas are trying to make is this is how the KC Chiefs view their fanbase: stupid, loudmouthed, with uninteresting lives.

Hey, for what it is worth, I've been calling you Chiefs fans stupid, loudmouthed, with uninteresting lives for years now. On top of that, I've insulted your barbecue, your musical tastes, the attractiveness of your women, your automotive selections, and your rather unfortunate affection for mullets.

You guys should be thankful that this article stopped where it did is all I'm sayin'.

;)

Otter
12-09-2004, 08:55 AM
From a business standpoint I don't think it's the smartest move. The neanderthals he's berating very likely include pissed off season ticket holders, regular attendents to the games, merchandise consumers and so on.

However, I've never read anything he's published to this point that can be considered even remotely impressive so why expect anything else.

Lzen
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey, for what it is worth, I've been calling you Chiefs fans stupid, loudmouthed, with uninteresting lives for years now. On top of that, I've insulted your barbecue, your musical tastes, the attractiveness of your women, your automotive selections, and your rather unfortunate affection for mullets.

You guys should be thankful that this article stopped where it did is all I'm sayin'.

;)

Eh, we just consider the source. :p

Iowanian
12-09-2004, 09:02 AM
This would be a great place to insert a Bud Light

"Here's to you, Mr Radio call in show Chiefs fan man"
you reeeeaally haaate that Deeeefense
"Here's to you, and your silly internet friends who talk, eat, sleep and drink football"
weeee reeeeeeeeeally like your moooooo-nay
"Here's to you, the merchandise and tickets that you buy, and making us look cool for showing up in droves to BBQ before games man"
Weeee regret to informyouwe'reraising parrrking Priiiices Agaa aa iiiiiiiiiin Man

the teeeam reeeeeeeally neeeeeds you to shoooow up suuuuunday

broughttoyoubyBudweiser,stlouismissouri

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
<i>berates its fan base</i>.

You're assumption is incorrect. I listen to Sportstalk Radio and I'm not offended or alienated in the least.

KCChiefsFan88
12-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Like its really a shock the Chiefs don't give a rats ass about the fans.

The fact they continue to employ a fool like Peterson and his lame scouting department, the fact they jacked up ticket prices to one of the highest increases in the league this past offseason, the fact price of parking is an arm and a leg, and the fact Lamar Hunt and the Chiefs are trying to put in as little of their own money as possible and get the taxpayers to cover upgrades for Arrowhead... is this a pattern of a team that cares about their fan base?

Chiefs should focus on trying to actually win a playoff game for the first time in over a decade before worrying about ripping fans and the media.

Gaz
12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Seems to me that if losing to the Panthers, Texans, Jaguars, Buccaneers and Saints does not stop the Sports Talk Caller from spending money on the Chiefs, a column on a website ain’t gonna do the trick.

And if the column does bring down the wrath of those fans who were not sufficiently outraged by the crappy performance on the field, then no more Dawes.

The quality of life will remain pretty much unchanged in either case.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pondering life without Dawes and emerges apathetic.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 09:07 AM
You're assumption is incorrect. I listen to Sportstalk Radio and I'm not offended or alienated in the least.

Incorrect? So people who listen to sports radio aren't part of the fan base? :spock:

So why do they listen? Because they <i>don't</i> care about the local sports teams?

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Whoa!!! where have I been? I cant believe I've missed this thread!

That's it! I'm never buying season tickets again.

That's an rep.

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Incorrect? So people who listen to sports radio aren't part of the fan base? :spock:

So why do they listen? Because they <i>don't</i> care about the local sports teams?

You missed my point. You said the artcle berates the fan base. I consider myself part of the fan base and I don't feel berated or alienated at all.
I have a hard time understanding the indignation here. The Chiefs don't owe the fans anything but a football game on Sundays. They deliver their product every week. If you're asking for more, you're going to be disappointed.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:11 AM
~ Waiting for Dawes' "Internet Bulletin Board Poster" with giddy anticipation

That's already my territory...

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Insulting ANY of the fans is assinine and petty. Ever heard don't bite the hand that feeds you?

OMG the irony....LOL!

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Seems to me that if losing to the Panthers, Texans, Jaguars, Buccaneers and Saints does not stop the Sports Talk Caller from spending money on the Chiefs, a column on a website ain’t gonna do the trick.

And if the column does bring down the wrath of those fans who were not sufficiently outraged by the crappy performance on the field, then no more Dawes.

The quality of life will remain pretty much unchanged in either case.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pondering life without Dawes and emerges apathetic.

All true, Gaz. However, it's beneath the Chiefs Organization to continually thumb their noses to their fans. They know they'll never go back to the "45K fans in Arrowhead Stadium every Sunday" days. But, they could certainly help themselves during these down years (4 losing seasons out of the last 5 - barring a miracle this year), by not trashing their fan base.

This just seems like a very assinine, childish thing for our organization to allow.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 09:14 AM
They owe their fanbase RESPECT and GRATITUDE. Dawes is a moron... I've no problem with him spewing his takes; hell, I expect it ('tho this time he crossed the line). I DO have a problem when the content manager(s) of the team's official site allows a recurring piece denegrate a subsection of its fan base. It doesn't matter how large the subsect... <i><b>it is implicit endorsement of fan disrespect.</i></b>

I guess some people don't realize when they're being insulted....

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:18 AM
All true, Gaz. However, it's beneath the Chiefs Organization to continually thumb their noses to their fans. They know they'll never go back to the "45K fans in Arrowhead Stadium every Sunday" days. But, they could certainly help themselves during these down years (4 losing seasons out of the last 5 - barring a miracle this year), by not trashing their fan base.

This just seems like a very assinine, childish thing for our organization to allow.

I think you're overreacting. When and how have the Chiefs continually thumbed their noses at the fans? When did they trash the fans?

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:19 AM

I'd some say some people try too hard to be insulted.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:20 AM
from the article in question...

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
They owe their fanbase RESPECT and GRATITUDE.

Actually, no they don't. No one owes anyone respect and gratitude. I respect you because that's part of my makeup but I don't owe you that respect.

cdcox
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I thought by the fact they keep putting mediocre teams on the field while jacking up the ticket prices made it abundently clear that they do not respect the fan base? It took Rufs Dawes for some of you to get the message?

We are dirt, eveyone of us.

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I thought by the fact they keep putting mediocre teams on the field while jacking up the ticket prices made it abundently clear that they do not respect the fan base? It took Rufs Dawes for some of you to get the message?

We are dirt, eveyone of us.

Sounds like self esteem issues to me.:D

You're addressing the wrong issue. Your dissatisfaction with the product is a separate issue and you can choose not to patronize the team if you want to address that situation. But the quality of the product doesn't determine the amount of respect the Chiefs have for their fans. The Chiefs would probably point out all of the things they do in the community if you were to tell them they don't respect the fans.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:25 AM
I actually read the article to find out if, in fact, I had been insulted and found this:

He more often hollers about what is wrong without suggesting a course of action short of firing someone. In short, he is the ultimate backseat driver who doesn’t have anything to say except that the current driver isn’t good enough.

Now I know why there's anger here...Dawes came out and admitted that the Chiefs are not going to take the course of action suggested by those hardworking NFL guru's here on the Planet.

All the hours of constant taping and re-watching of games, the mock drafts, the pretend drafts, the fantasy talk, the breakdown and analysis of every single play, press conference and other NFL show is for naught.

LOL...I've been telling y'all this for years.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Actually, no they don't. No one owes anyone respect and gratitude.

That attitude makes for an awful business owner.

Brock
12-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Actually, no they don't. No one owes anyone respect and gratitude. I respect you because that's part of my makeup but I don't owe you that respect.

You're obviously not a business owner.

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:29 AM
I think you're overreacting. When and how have the Chiefs continually thumbed their noses at the fans? When did they trash the fans?

Rufus Dawes (or whoever he really is).

To allow him to continue being the corporate apologist and then trash the people that support the team. That's what I'm talking about.

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
You're obviously not a business owner.

From a guy that owns his own business, you are absolutely correct. If I took an ounce of that type of attitude, I'd be out on my ears the next day. Sheesh......

Gaz
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM

That would be true if the customer could take his business elsewhere. He could just say “vaya” and chose a different product. Where you gonna go, Chiefs fan?

And while it is true that football fans have the same option, I do not believe that anyone who puts out the effort to call a sports show or post incessantly on a football BB is going to exercise it.

“Rufus insulted me, so I am going to sell all my Chiefs stuff and become a Cowboys fan.”

Not bloody likely, is it?

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing victim.

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:32 AM

I'm not arguing about whether or not someone should respect others. I agree that if one doesn't have any respect for their potential customers then they probably will not be in business long.
My arguement is against the indignation and the feeling that one is owed something other than what they pay for.
Like I said in a previous post: Some try too hard to be insulted. If you want to feel insulted that's your business. I'm not insulted in the least and I would hate to have such thin skin.

Brock
12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
[font=Garamond][size=4]
That would be true if the customer could take his business elsewhere. He could just say “vaya” and chose a different product. Where you gonna go, Chiefs fan?

Not to the stadium if this keeps up.

GoTrav
What's the point of that article? What's he trying to acheive? Is he assuming most Chiefs fans are not able to discern sports talk radio and its rants on their own, and he needs to "warn" us of these evil people? Sports talk radio is a similar medium to internet bulletin boards; a means of discussion and venting. He could just as easily placed "Internet Football Fan Bulletin Board Poster" at the top of that article and stereotyped any given number of fan sites and BB's out there. I am, however, glad he took the time to yank out references to Orwell for such an intellectually stimulating perception on such a retarded topic. I feel smarter already.

KCTitus
Could someone help me out...exactly where in that column is the insult?

Please post it for me...

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-09-2004, 09:34 AM
any organization chastizing their fans...(unless it's the Pistons, Pacers, Raiders, Phillies, Eagles, Yankees...oh forget it) is just stupid.

Logical
I'll start toching buildings when the wrath turns to Internet Football message boards and guys who make websites about coaches........Oh wait.......We got that hatemail from Porkchop Gretz LAST season.

Its foolish of them to do. Its the same mentality when they call for the fans to turn out..."this game rides on the 12th man".......the Fan shows up, shouts so loud that he nears unconciousness, has no voice and his hands hurt from beating the seat in front of him........................The team fails to make a single defensive stop.........some fans leave.................and they are bashed by the coaches.

Well stated. As someone who could not possibly call in to a Chiefs radio show I am not part of Dawes intended target. However, I am bothered by the obvious Chiefs organizational arrogance such an article portrays. It is exactly the arrogance the Gretz response last year conveyed and you can bet there will be much more to follow when this disaster of a season is over.

It is indeed too bad that the fans do not storm the 1 Arrowhead Drive castle with scathing protest that this incompetent front office deserves.

KCTitus
Not to the stadium if this keeps up.

Good luck...Ive tried to convince BCF to stop going and it's like I threw a boulder in his uterus everytime I suggest it.

Brock
12-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Could someone help me out...exactly where in that column is the insult?

Please post it for me...

Why address what they think of the fans at all, unless it is to tell them they are the best in the league? It's just stupid.

ChiTown

And while it is true that football fans have the same option, I do not believe that anyone who puts out the effort to call a sports show or post incessantly on a football BB is going to exercise it.

“Rufus insulted me, so I am going to sell all my Chiefs stuff and become a Cowboys fan.”

Not bloody likely, is it?

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing victim.

There are words for what you describe - it's called thumbing your nose to your fan base.

By the by, this doesn't insult me in the least. However, I do side with the fans that are insulted by this, and certainly side with anyone that wants to voice their opinion about how this is, at the very least, lousy PR for the Chiefs.

nmt1
From a guy that owns his own business, you are absolutely correct. If I took an ounce of that type of attitude, I'd be out on my ears the next day. Sheesh......

You're missing the point. You respect a person when they patronize your business but do you listen to the business advice of every schmo that walks in the door or call you on the phone? Is it disrespect of the said schmo if you don't?

Iowanian
12-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm alot more insulted by the play of the team than the article.

Its far more insulting to lose heartlessly to Carolina, Houston, Denver, Sandy Eggo, New Orleans, Jax et al

I'm more insulted that I'm sold a turd smoothy, and told its strawberry.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Why address what they think of the fans at all, unless it is to tell them they are the best in the league? It's just stupid.

Maybe, I would like to know where the insult is, though.

ChiTown
You're missing the point. You respect a person when they patronize your business but do you listen to the business advice of every schmo that walks in the door or call you on the phone? Is it disrespect of the said schmo if you don't?

No, I think it is you, that is missing the point. The mere fact that they made an effort to take a stand in this issue and address the fans (in a negative way) is bad for any business. I don't do that in a newsletter to my industry, why would they?

cdcox
Public relations? Do you actually think anyone in the organization cares about what any of us think? You will buy the tickets and you will like it.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Its far more insulting to lose heartlessly to Carolina, Houston, Denver, Sandy Eggo, New Orleans, Jax et al

I'm more insulted that I'm sold a turd smoothy, and told its strawberry.

I agree, totally.

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Public relations? Do you actually think anyone in the organization cares about what any of us think? You will buy the tickets and you will like it.

ROFL Great point, cd, great point.....

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Public relations? Do you actually think anyone in the organization cares about what any of us think?

Been saying this for years...

Logical
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM

On the other hand you do not take out advertisements to blast your customers for giving you advice you consider inadequate or poor. This is what the Chiefs have done with the Dawes article.

Logical
12-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Maybe, I would like to know where the insult is, though.

If you are oblivious to it, good for you, does not mean it is not there. I can tell a mule his shit stinks, he will never understand.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:44 AM
On the other hand you do not take out advertisements to blast your customers for giving you advice you consider inadequate or poor. This is what the Chiefs have done with the Dawes article.

Right...stop being a customer if you dont like it.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
If you are oblivious to it, good for you, does not mean it is not there.

Just post the line or two that is insulting out of the article, that's all Im asking. I understand the article and I know what it's saying probably all too well.

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Right...stop being a customer if you dont like it.

Yes, love it or leave it........

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:47 AM

That's ridiculous assumption. You're trying to be insulted.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Yes, love it or leave it........

Correction: if you're mad, leave it. Im not happy with the product, but Im not arrogant enough to think that this column is offensive.

Wouldnt that be what your customers would do? Since we're comparing small businesses to a NFL franchise...

MichaelH
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
And they say Nascar fans get worked up over nothing. :)

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
No, I think it is you, that is missing the point. The mere fact that they made an effort to take a stand in this issue and address the fans (in a negative way) is bad for any business. I don't do that in a newsletter to my industry, why would they?

Whether or not it's an insult to the fanbase is debatable. If you're insulted by this article then your skin is too thin and you're looking to be insulted. I think you're expecting too much of the Chiefs as well.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:50 AM
And they say Nascar fans get worked up over nothing. :)

Heh...the story I could tell watching the last race with a couple of hardcore fans, but I'll not sully this wonderful thread w/that.

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:51 AM

You don't have to buy tickets and I'd encourage you to not buy them if you're not satisfied with the product. If I was a business owner and wasn't offering a good product, I'd expect no less from my "fans."

Chiefnj
12-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Management and ownership will lose its arrogance when the fans stop showing up at games and stop buying merchandise. As silly as it sounds, only when profits go down at 1 Arrowhead will someone be held accountable.

nmt1
12-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Management and ownership will lose its arrogance when the fans stop showing up at games and stop buying merchandise. As silly as it sounds, only when profits go down at 1 Arrowhead will someone be held accountable.

You, sir, are exactly right. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

HC_Chief
That's ridiculous assumption. You're trying to be insulted.

No, as a fan, he <i>has</i> been insulted. Dawes did the insulting... the Chiefs PR department implicitly endorses it.

Do you not see the equation? To call a radio program to voice an opinion is no different than posting one here. Speak your mind; dissent, and you are immediately labeled stupid and loudmouthed with an uninteresting life.

* Disclaimer, though this author's 'works' are a recurring item on the official team website, his takes do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Kansas City Chiefs... but keep reading anyway, stupid.

KCTitus

EXACTLY...I mean if that's what you want, do it. I took about 5 years of 12k attendance for Steadman to get the boot.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 09:55 AM
EXACTLY...I mean if that's what you want, do it. I took about 5 years of 12k attendance for Steadman to get the boot.

Thanks for reminding me :grr:

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Correction: if you're mad, leave it. Im not happy with the product, but Im not arrogant enough to think that this column is offensive.

Wouldnt that be what your customers would do? Since we're comparing small businesses to a NFL franchise...

Hey, who are you calling small business? :cuss:

:)

Like I said, I'm not offended by anything the Chiefs do, except the offensive way they've played football in 2004. I'm just simply stating that it's stupid to do what they did, and there was absolutely nothing to gain. Customers are customers no matter what business you are in. It's best to try and keep them as happy as possible, but that's just my opinion. I know it's impossible to make everyone happy, but I also know that there are certain things you shouldn't do, and that is to not take shots at your clients. Again, JMO.

cdcox
12-09-2004, 09:56 AM
You don't have to buy tickets and I'd encourage you to not buy them if you're not satisfied with the product. If I was a business owner and wasn't offering a good product, I'd expect no less from my "fans."

I'm not really torqued. Just recyling some old chestnuts from the board with a little extra spice to make the sarcasm obvious.... or not.

KCTitus
Do you not see the equation? To call a radio program to voice an opinion is no different than posting one here. Speak your mind; dissent, and you are immediately labeled stupid and loudmouthed with an uninteresting life.

I didnt find any of those terms in the column...am I not reading the same column?

ChiTown
Whether or not it's an insult to the fanbase is debatable. If you're insulted by this article then your skin is too thin and you're looking to be insulted. I think you're expecting too much of the Chiefs as well.

Apparently, you should read what I have said. Again, I am not insulted by this in the least, but I side with those that might be. Is that clear enough?

WilliamTheIrish
12-09-2004, 09:57 AM

Same here.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Like I said, I'm not offended by anything the Chiefs do, except the offensive way they've played football in 2004. I'm just simply stating that it's stupid to do what they did, and there was absolutely nothing to gain. Customers are customers no matter what business you are in. It's best to try and keep them as happy as possible, but that's just my opinion. I know it's impossible to make everyone happy, but I also know that there are certain things you shouldn't do, and that is to not take shots at your clients. Again, JMO.

Fair enough...

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 10:01 AM
I didnt find any of those terms in the column...am I not reading the same column?

Oh, so sorry, Mr. Nitpicky official site apologist... let me correct my egregious error:

"not a <i>complete</i> idiot"
"flimsy sense of self"
"typically inarticulate"
"more often hollers"
"ives are no more interesting than his own."

Gee, I wonder how one could infer 'stupid', 'loudmouthed' and 'uninteresting life' from those pithy comments? :hmmm:

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Posted in another thread on this subject:

I sent this to the Chiefs:

I've never called one of these sports talk radio shows. And I would agree that some of these hosts are unreasonably hostile towards the Kansas City Chiefs but I do listen on the way to and from work to these radio shows.

As a season ticket holder I don't appreciate the charecterization of sports talk radio listeners as simple minded buffons being posted on my teams website. I'm offended by the tone of the article and would like an apology from the Kansas City Chiefs.

We are in the midst of a down year and you are going to bite the hand that feeds you? Does the Kansas City Chiefs care about their season ticket holders? Don't you think that a lot of your season ticket holders listen to sports talk radio?

I have stuck by the Chiefs during the down times and the up times. My butt is in the seats yelling encouragement to my team every game regardless of their record or weather. Please be more respectful of your fans in the future. Go Chiefs!

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Oh, so sorry, Mr. Nitpicky official site apologist... let me correct my egregious error:

"not a <i>complete</i> idiot"
"flimsy sense of self"
"typically inarticulate"
"more often hollers"
"ives are no more interesting than his own."

Gee, I wonder how one could infer 'stupid', 'loudmouthed' and 'uninteresting life' from those pithy comments? :hmmm:

LOL....I have to live up to my name I guess.

'not a complete idiot' is out of context. Sorry, HC that that's reaching, because what was said was 'that does not mean that ALL callers to talk shows are complete idiots'

The others, well, Im sorry to say, but he's right...maybe that's what stings about the article.

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 10:05 AM
No, they're not all <i>complete</i> idiots.... only a handful fall into that category. The rest are simply idiots.

BigChiefFan
12-09-2004, 10:07 AM

KCTitus sporting the only semblence of defense in Kansas City this year.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 10:08 AM
No, they're not all <i>complete</i> idiots.... only a handful fall into that category. The rest are simply idiots.

LOL...ok, whatever HC.

I think instead Im going to agree with you, Im going to stop going to the games as of RIGHT NOW. Never again will I buy another ticket to the games this year and until Carl is gone because he's behind this and promise to never buy nachos either...

Is that better?

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM

lol... now that's rep-worthy. :D

If KC's _efense were as tenacious as Titus, we'd be SB-bound :thumb:

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM

Hay!!! that was funny, well done! :thumb:

Chief Henry
12-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I think the fact that no one in the Chiefs organization is putting their name to that article is
chicken kaka. I would love for someone to research
to see if other NFL teams has a {made up} ghost
writer putting opinions on their OFFICIAL website.

I am very surprised that this article is actually on the teams NFL OFFICIAL website. Any time you poke fun of your fan base and call them a hick or Redneck your asking for trouble. But the decision makers at One Arrowhead Drive have really showed thier hand once again. Several of those decision makers are thinking that they are BETTER than the rest of us.....That really sucks.

I just wish a real name would step forward and
admit they wrote the article and I'm surprised its on the OFFICIAL
website.

One wonders what they were ttrying to prove.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
I would love for someone to research to see if other NFL teams has a {made up} ghost writer putting opinions on their OFFICIAL website.

I nominate you to do it.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 10:25 AM
In his latest column: <a href="http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/07/dawes_sports_talk_caller/"> Sports Talk Caller</a>, Rufus decided it wise to deride fans; in particular, those who call in/listen to sports talk radio. Fatlock, of course, is jumping all over this one. (probably because he and KK are referenced in the piece; not by name of course, but obvious, thinly veiled reference).

The point Fatlock and Maas are trying to make is this is how the KC Chiefs view their fanbase: stupid, loudmouthed, with uninteresting lives. Otherwise why would they allow a PR gaffe like this to occur?

Do not try to deny that it a gaffe... it most certainly is. When a regularly occurring piece on the team's official site berates and derides its fan base, a mistake has been made. A content editor most certainly should have stepped in here. It is unwise to deride one's fanbase; <i>especially</i> in the midst of a gawdawful losing season.

Thoughts?
All of beer me's emails ARE having an impact?

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Shaddup, dummies. Go back to your uninteresting lives.

Bunch of loudmouthed inarticulate idiots...

Chief Henry
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I nominate you to do it.

I've got more of a life than that.....But I would guess no other NFL team has a Ghost writer...imo

ChiTown
12-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I've got more of a life than that.....

Not according to Bob Moo.....I mean, Rufus Dawes.

:)

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 10:51 AM
I've got more of a life than that.....But I would guess no other NFL team has a Ghost writer...imo

Probably right...Im glad one of us has a life, I just dont really care enough to go look.

Logical
12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
LOL....I have to live up to my name I guess.

'not a complete idiot' is out of context. Sorry, HC that that's reaching, because what was said was 'that does not mean that ALL callers to talk shows are complete idiots'

The others, well, Im sorry to say, but he's right...maybe that's what stings about the article.

You will go to no end to be a homer and defend the front office. Defending those statement is a perfect example. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not those statements were intended to insult some people who are members of the Chiefs' fan base. To top it off you then took the trouble to infer an insult to HC_Chief for his effort taken to answer your challenge.

The Bad Guy
12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
This is just the Chiefs way of deflecting criticism of a 4-8 team that had legit SB goals before the season.

I would say that the Chiefs are in the same boat as every business, because without a solid customer base, they wouldn't survive.

Bob Moore and every other Chiefs employee has their paychecks funded by the same people they are criticizing in this column.

That is completely stupid.

From what Beer Me was e-mailed back, to this column, it's evident that the Chiefs don't care about the fans. They cared last year when they were pleading for that 12th man advantage.

The Chiefs are a big fish in a small pond. As I've said countless times, if Moore worked for a big team city, his ugly ass would of been fired 5 times over already.

And for the disclaimer, they can stick it up their ass, it means nothing. Someone approves what goes on that homepage and allowing anything to criticize even a small portion of the fan base is wrong.

I love it when people say if you don't like it find a new team, which is a crock of shit. If it was that easy, most of us would of left after the 1995 season.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
You will go to no end to be a homer and defend the front office. Defending those statement is a perfect example. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not those statements were intended to insult some people who are members of the Chiefs' fan base. To top it off you then took the trouble to infer an insult to HC_Chief for his effort taken to answer your challenge.

For someone who claims to be smart and will argue nuance for about 500 posts, you sure are acting obtuse with regard to my position on all these issues, which I know for a fact, I've discussed with you multiple times.

Just for old times sake, I dont defend the front office, rather I dont agree with every fans 'solution' or thier criticism and I simply challenge their assertions, opinions and most times outright speculation.

Lastly, I dont infer insults, if I wanted to insult HC, I would have--you know me, Jim, Im pretty direct.

I will say that this article was speaking to a fan like you, how's that for an inferred insult?

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 11:23 AM
I love it when people say if you don't like it find a new team, which is a crock of shit. If it was that easy, most of us would of left after the 1995 season.

I would like to know who has said this?

All I have ever said is, if you dont like it and want change in the front office, DONT GO TO THE GAMES.

How do you equate the two statements?

The Bad Guy
12-09-2004, 11:27 AM
I would like to know who has said this?

All I have ever said is, if you dont like it and want change in the front office, DONT GO TO THE GAMES.

How do you equate the two statements?

I've read it on other message boards, and I've read it here.

I'm not singling you out.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
I've read it on other message boards, and I've read it here.

I'm not singling you out.

ok...

Logical
12-09-2004, 11:33 AM
For someone who claims to be smart and will argue nuance for about 500 posts, you sure are acting obtuse with regard to my position on all these issues, which I know for a fact, I've discussed with you multiple times.

Just for old times sake, I dont defend the front office, rather I dont agree with every fans 'solution' or thier criticism and I simply challenge their assertions, opinions and most times outright speculation.

Lastly, I dont infer insults, if I wanted to insult HC, I would have--you know me, Jim, Im pretty direct.

I will say that this article was speaking to a fan like you, how's that for an inferred insult?

I tend to be argumentative for argumentation's sake, but you do not find me constantly supporting the front office in the process. Either you have never found someone posting that supports the front office to argue with or you are supporting the front office. I find it amusing you think you are direct, Naptown is an example of direct you on the other hand are quite into subtle slander.

As far as your last comment, I would hardly fit the profile of someone who only wants someone fired. Yes I want that but I have been extremely vocal about many other things that should be done differently, from free agency to how we conduct our drafts, not to mention coaching changes.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I tend to be argumentative for argumentation's sake, but you do not find me constantly supporting the front office in the process. Either you have never found someone posting that supports the front office to argue with or you are supporting the front office.

In 4 years, Im sure I have and it really doesnt matter...I would like you to answer this question however, how is urging people to stop going to the games or buying tickets 'supporting the front office'?

It's not...Im offering a suggestion to solve the problem as these people see it.

Typically in response it's to go on the offensive and call me a homer, apologist and that I shouldn't question their fandom blah, blah, blah...when again it has nothing to do with that.

You want so and so out? Great, here's the solution...

Maybe it's because many posters here werent around in the 80's or dont remember how long the stadium was empty before Carl showed up.

Logical
12-09-2004, 12:00 PM
In 4 years, Im sure I have and it really doesnt matter...I would like you to answer this question however, how is urging people to stop going to the games or buying tickets 'supporting the front office'?

It's not...Im offering a suggestion to solve the problem as these people see it.

Typically in response it's to go on the offensive and call me a homer, apologist and that I shouldn't question their fandom blah, blah, blah...when again it has nothing to do with that.

You want so and so out? Great, here's the solution...

Maybe it's because many posters here werent around in the 80's or dont remember how long the stadium was empty before Carl showed up.
Might work for some but I was there in the late 60s clear through the 89 season, after which I moved to California. I remember and still want CP the useless prick gone.

As to your challenging people to quit going you put them in the no win situation of being labeled bandwagon fans by a large majority of this BB if they agree with your suggestion. I imagine that if things don't turnaround this offseason many will be dumping their tickets just not publicly announcing it. I would love to see the Carl Peterson reaction if the Chiefs started falling about 20K seats short next year and I sort of hope it happens.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 12:09 PM
As to your challenging people to quit going you put them in the no win situation of being labeled bandwagon fans by a large majority of this BB if they agree with your suggestion. I imagine that if things don't turnaround this offseason many will be dumping their tickets just not publicly announcing it. I would love to see the Carl Peterson reaction if the Chiefs started falling about 20K seats short next year and I sort of hope it happens.

Total nonstarter...not going to games <> bandwagon or lack of support.

I seriously doubt a 'large majority' of this BB considers fans who dont attend games 'bandwagon'. Since I'm unable to go to games because KC's 1000 miles away, doesnt make me a bandwagon and Im sure the vast majority of the community here would agree with me.

Rather, that's an excuse to have one's cake and eat it too...I think the majority of those that continue to 'fund' CP and bitch about it incessanty, just like to bitch for the sake of bitching--I tend to believe those people need the failure to validate their 'football acumen'.

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 12:16 PM
I think the majority of those that continue to 'fund' CP and bitch about it incessanty, just like to bitch for the sake of bitching--I tend to believe those people need the failure to validate their 'football acumen'.

I guess I would fall into this broad catagory you have defined for us season ticket holders. So I'm not allowed to complain about bone head moves made by my team. Call for the head of the incompentant leader? Or else I'm a bitch?

So you think if someone complaind about their team and buys a ticket anyway that they are?????

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I guess I would fall into this broad catagory you have defined for us season ticket holders. So I'm not allowed to complain about bone head moves made by my team. Call for the head of the incompentant leader? Or else I'm a bitch?

So you think if someone complaind about their team and buys a ticket anyway that they are?????

You have an awesome reading comprehension problem...my conversations with you are over.

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
You have an awesome reading comprehension problem...my conversations with you are over.

Are you dissing me? I'm going to go :deevee:

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Are you dissing me? I'm going to go :deevee:

How would you know, you dont seem to grasp what I type...

Logical
12-09-2004, 01:17 PM
How would you know, you dont seem to grasp what I type...

I sort of question whether you type what you are thinking from your response to BigRedChief. I must admit I would have read it exactly as he did. Unless you are quibbling over his use of the word bitch?

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 01:21 PM
...I must admit I would have read it exactly as he did. Unless you are quibbling over his use of the word bitch?

It's not quibbling when his misreading of my post is predicated on that word. There's no point in my restating what I already stated, it's quite clear--I've played that game with BRC and Im tired of it. I could say 'eat more cheese' and he would come back with 'Why are you calling me a packer fan?' I mean WTF?

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I guess you seem to be the end-all authority of when OTHER people should feel insulted.

At least I know now...

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Always glad to help the denser posters :thumb:
Now, back to your uninteresting life, you loudmouthed idiot.

shakesthecat
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
It's not quibbling when his misreading of my post is predicated on that word. There's no point in my restating what I already stated, it's quite clear--I've played that game with BRC and Im tired of it. I could say 'eat more cheese' and he would come back with 'Why are you calling me a packer fan?' I mean WTF?

Am I the only one who thinks BRC and BCF are the same person?

Logical
12-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks BRC and BCF are the same person?

If not they are easily confused. That is not a slam I agree with many of their takes, but they seem to have nearly identical opinions and posting style.

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Rather, that's an excuse to have one's cake and eat it too...I think the majority of those that continue to 'fund' CP and bitch about it incessanty, just like to bitch for the sake of bitching--I tend to believe those people need the failure to validate their 'football acumen'.
:clap:

Mr. Laz
personally i think "Rufus Dawes" is a PR tool of bob Moore and Carl Peterson.

who does the actually writing :shrug:

i don't know that it really matters

Rufus Dawes exudes the anti-media, anti-fan attitude that the Bob and Carl want him to.

this arrogant disregard for the fans of the chiefs is shown in the way the chiefs conduct business, treat the fans, talk to the fans and the complete disrespect they seem to have for the fans.

year in and year out the chiefs show only lip service respect the people who pay their salaries and this is the main reason for my dislike for Carl Peterson.

Rufus Dawes = Carl Peterson irregardless of whether he actually writes the column.

|Zach|
Always glad to help the denser posters :thumb:

:hmmm:

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 01:36 PM

You are an elitist snob who enjoys a good argument. Worse things to be I suppose but anyway nlm and your :BS: way of relating to others.

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 01:48 PM
You are an elitist snob who enjoys a good argument. Worse things to be I suppose but anyway nlm and your :BS: way of relating to others.
I think one of the interesting things about this whole thing is its total lack of actual action. I don't agree with it but I also can see where someone is coming from who is totally against are front office. But having said that their methods of showing it just seem tired and don't do anything to help out their cause. The only thing that can have an effect is not going to the games and not giving the Chiefs money. It just seems as though a lot of the negative crowd enjoys listening to themselves whine and tries to cast off all others as fools for as Gaz would say "not going out and getting their pitch forks."

I also find it funny that most the people that make the "Woudn't it be great if Arrowhead was empty on (insert game here) to show the front office?" are not season ticket holders and are not people that really go to games.

If you don't like whats going on that is understandable. But in the end it seems that people just enjoy the bitching more so than anything and listening to themselves talk...

philfree
12-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Rufus' colum didn't step on my toes one bit but I don't really listen to that crap. The few amount of times that I have the host and the callers were lame and didn't offer anything of any value. IMO 'most' of the calls fielded were either idiots or clone types and I really don't consider the people I listened to as the heart and soul of the K.C. Chiefs fans base. Now I'm sure there are alot of listeners who don't participate but just listen and I'm pretty sure that most don't agree with most of what is said but I could be wrong. I hope not :)

PhilFree :arrow:

HC_Chief
Looks like the article has been yanked. Good move. Now comes the damage control.

|Zach|
There were a lot of references earlier in this thread talking about owning businesses and relating it to the fact that you have to treat customers very well and with respect.

This is true. You have to go out of your way and listen to customers that are angry and have problems. You also have to go out of your way to show respect and try to help out or fix a problem in any way you can...

Having said that anyone who has owned a business knows that there are some customers who will be angry no matter what you do. There are some customers who are just dead set on not being happy with your product. Generally once you spot this trend you time is wasted on a person like this and you are better suited to helping out a customer with more legitimate reasons for being angry and one that you take action to help out...

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 01:56 PM

I guess so, if elitist snob = person who uses the lump 3ft above their ass.

Mr. Laz
Rufus' colum didn't step on my toes one bit but I don't really listen to that crap. The few amount of times that I have the host and the callers were lame and didn't offer anything of any value. IMO 'most' of the calls fielded were either idiots or clone types and I really don't consider the people I listened to as the heart and sould of the K.C. Chiefs fans base. Now I'm sure there are alot of listeners who don't participate but just listen and I'm pretty sure that most don't agree with most of what is said but I could be wrong. I hope not :)

i imagine fans that visit/talk at online chiefs BBS are included in his comments

HC_Chief
Very true, Zach. It's also smart not to lump the few turds in with a large portion of your clientele in a public article in which you refer to them as stupid loudmouths with uninteresting lives ;)

Brock
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM
They deleted it. How embarrassing.

Rausch
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM
They deleted it. How embarrassing.

Never got ta' read it. Is it posted somewhere in this thread?

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Very true, Zach. It's also smart not to lump the few turds in with a large portion of your clientele in a public article in which you refer to them as stupid loudmouths with uninteresting lives ;)
Well...I kind of agree with him in that respect....I think it was uncoth to post the article and there was no good reason for posting it but having said that I think he was right in the part you are mentioning above. The only part I disagree with you is that he lumped them in with every Chief fan. I think he went out of his way to seperate them from the specific descriptions.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 01:58 PM
not in its entirety, but there are a few excerpts in the earlier pages...

philfree
12-09-2004, 02:24 PM
i imagine fans that visit/talk at online chiefs BBS are included in his comments

I didn't get that when I read it but since it's been removed I can't go back and read it again. Since the Column is titled 'Media Watch' I don't correlate it with BBSs

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 02:32 PM
I didn't get that when I read it but since it's been removed I can't go back and read it again. Since the Column is titled 'Media Watch' I don't correlate it with BBSs

DAWES: "SPORTS TALK CALLER"
Dec 07, 2004, 3:12:31 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes
“For people who like this sort of thing, this is just the sort of thing they like.“
- Liz Braun, movie critic

Movie critic Roger Ebert, in a review a couple of years ago of the dreadful movie, Just Married, referred to one of the protagonists – the husband – as “an example of the emerging subspecies Sports Bar Man.” Ebert’s Sports Bar Man has a direct link to Sports Talk Caller. In truth, he is one in the same.

A normal human being, wrote the British novelist and essayist George Orwell, is a mix of the noble and the ignoble, “of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.” Sports Bar Man, or Sports Talk Caller, is what Orwell referred to as the Sancho Panza type, who, he writes, covets “soft beds, no work, pots of beer, and women with ‘voluptuous’ figures.” If Mr. Orwell were with us today he would no doubt see the similarities.
Now, this is not to say that every single person who has ever listened to or hosted sports talk radio, or talk radio of any kind, is a complete idiot. Some of sports talk radio can be entertaining to a wide range of listeners, but know who the projected audience is for such programming.
Sports Talk Caller is ruled by his appetites and inclinations, among them ball – any kind of ball – and the notoriety he believes comes from being heard on the radio. Sports Talk Caller has such a flimsy sense of self that he derives his identity from listening to or being heard on a radio station.

He is capable of detached malevolent humor at the expense of others; indeed, he often relishes these experiences with his buddies. He is typically inarticulate, responding to the talk show host’s most outrageous and antagonistic comments. For his part, the host, who enjoys hanging with Sports Talk Caller and who covets his approbation, seldom talks about issues preferring to stay right on the surface. When he does raise questions he does so most of the time without answering them himself. He more often hollers about what is wrong without suggesting a course of action short of firing someone. In short, he is the ultimate backseat driver who doesn’t have anything to say except that the current driver isn’t good enough.

More often, his talk centers around his obsessions. Irrational obsession is a dominant theme of one Kansas City sports talk show. The show is consumed by a series of unrelated obsessions: the host’s drive to develop a love life, his need to drop names, his dislike or disrespect for one public figure or another, his need for public recognition. Tune in elsewhere and hear another host’s self-absorbed ranting about his favorite college, about conspiracies involving nearly every sports entity, about how he knows things that no one else knows, and so on. Their silly on and off the air arguments about one another resemble two bald men fighting over a comb.

Sport was once thought to bring out the best in people. Sports talk radio does just the opposite. It delights in negativity; it tears down sports institutions and sports people. And it does one more thing: it requires its primary listener, Sports Talk Caller, to pay attention to individuals whose lives are no more interesting than his own.
The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:06 PM

You're right you imagined it.

Logical
12-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Sport was once thought to bring out the best in people. Sports talk radio does just the opposite. It delights in negativity; it tears down sports institutions and sports people. And it does one more thing: it requires its primary listener, Sports Talk Caller, to pay attention to individuals whose lives are no more interesting than his own.
The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

As opposed to paying attention to a columnist that does not even have the guts to use his own name and has a life no more interesting than those who read his column.

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM

This is the most important line in the article. And now that it's been removed I think it shows the Chiefs Org does indeed value how their fans feel. Of course it's just another example of a few squeaky wheels getting the grease.

Logical
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
This is the most important line in the article. And now that it's been removed I think it shows the Chiefs Org does indeed value how their fans feel. Of course it's just another example of a few squeaky wheels getting the grease.

I am only guessing, but it seems it might be more than just a few. If it is not you can bet they are a really influential few.

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
As opposed to paying attention to a columnist that does not even have the guts to use his own name and has a life no more interesting than those who read his column.

I agree with that though. Seems I remeber that Dawes hit the seen around 1998 just when KK and JW where perhaps in their best form of their careers. I thought he served a purpose but of late I've been thinking that purpose no longer exists. Of course I don't listen to thier programs so I could be wrong there. The Chiefs may be best served for Rufus to take a vacation.

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I am only guessing, but it seems it might be more than just a few. If it is not you can bet they are a really important few.

I voiced my displeasure with the artices tone to the Chiefs. So does this mean I'm one of the important few? :p

Don't tell KCTitus, he'll invite me to a book club reading or something. STFU

memyselfI
12-09-2004, 03:20 PM

HAHA, that was my point years ago when he first emerged...I remember some here arguing his validiy should not be diminished just because he used a 'pen name.' ROFL ROFL ROFL

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Backlash is a bitch.

I think they did the right thing taking that article down; but my guess is they've still got some damage control to do. 610 was all over this story yesterday and it continued into today (haven't heard Fatlock & Maas' show yet... the only time I catch 'em is one the drive home). There were a lot of pissed-off fans (not surprising - as the people calling in were precisely the people Dawes denegrated on the Chiefs official team site). I haven't heard "well, I'm not renewing MY season tickets" so many times in my life (my bet is a good majority of those threats were empty anyway, but it appears the message got through).

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:21 PM
I am only guessing, but it seems it might be more than just a few. If it is not you can bet they are a really influential few.

Obviously it was enough to get the article pulled but a mob usually starts with just a couple people instigating it.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2004, 03:27 PM
You're right you imagined it.

really?

carl has made more than was sarcastic,derisive remark about "online football fans"

did you have your fingers in your ears going "la la la" again when he made them?

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Backlash is a bitch.

I think they did the right thing taking that article down; but my guess is they've still got some damage control to do. 610 was all over this story yesterday and it continued into today (haven't heard Fatlock & Maas' show yet... the only time I catch 'em is one the drive home). There were a lot of pissed-off fans (not surprising - as the people calling in were precisely the people Dawes denegrated on the Chiefs official team site). I haven't heard "well, I'm not renewing MY season tickets" so many times in my life (my bet is a good majority of those threats were empty anyway, but it appears the message got through).
If I had a dime for every fan I have heard at arrowhead talk about how they are not reknewing thier seats in the seats around us only to have them cheering on the Cheifs the next game and the next season...

But alas, life is made up of decisions.

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
did you have your fingers in your ears going "la la la" again when he made them?
I agree with him for the most part....

Logical
12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
HAHA, that was my point years ago when he first emerged...I remember some here arguing his validiy should not be diminished just because he used a 'pen name.' ROFL ROFL ROFL

I remember and I was one of those arguing with you. I am now ready to admit I was wrong. You do occasionally get something right.:p

Mr. Laz
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I agree with him for the most part....

agree with who? (for the most part)

tk13
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't understand how so many of you people could actually make it through a Rufus Dawes article without falling asleep, let alone long enough to get mad over it. I've been around this board for 4 seasons now and in that time I can honestly say that I've never read a complete column by Rufus Dawes....

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
carl has made more than was sarcastic,derisive remark about "online football fans"

I guess I'm not in a location to hear these interviews but if you have links or other proof great.
I thought this article was by Rufus Dawes and that's who we were discussing not Carl Peterson.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
I don't understand how so many of you people could actually make it through a Rufus Dawes article without falling asleep, let alone long enough to get mad over it. I've been around this board for 4 seasons now and in that time I can honestly say that I've never read a complete column by Rufus Dawes....
maybe you should try harder

because IMO .... it's basically your hero, carl peterson, giving you the big,fat middle finger.

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I guess I'm not in a location to hear these interviews but if you have links or other proof great.
I thought this article was by Rufus Dawes and that's who we were discussing not Carl Peterson.

rufus is an extension of King Carl.

|Zach|
12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
agree with who? (for the most part)
Alot of remarks he makes at online fans...I vaguely remember them. I understand this seems stupid because I am such of an active member of a Chiefs based online community. But it has not been Chiefs football takes that have kept me here.

Its just really easy to type on this board about how stupid this person is and that person is and its a lot harder to actully do make the decisions they make. Any time someone messes up they should be cut, CP is better at evaluating talent than the people who do it and so on and so on. I don't agree with everything this team and front office does and they should be held accountable when they dont get the job done. Carl has taken responsilbility for this shitty season. I would not have any problem with him being shown the door. The main point is it seems that the consensus of sports talk callers and online sports posters seem to hold themselves up as football oracles. I just don't see it that way...

There are a lot of people who like to hear themselves bitch. This isn't even one of those "real fan issues" I believe that people who like hear themselves bitch are drawn to these two mediums. No matter what the situation is they would be bitching. Seems like there is alot of whining without a lot of action. Anyone who hasn't actully "done" anything in the way of not going to games or stopped giving the Chiefs money has done as much to fight the front office of the Chiefs as me and Titus have. Nothing. Yet they seem to hold themselves up above all of the other posters because they are negative. You do it a lot less than you used to...

There are a lot of in and outs to this post and I am sure there will be some disagreements. I have to jet right now but will check in on this thread later on. I didn't want you folks to think I was hitting and running or anything....have a good day!

memyselfI
12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I remember and I was one of those arguing with you. I am now ready to admit I was wrong. You do occasionally get something right.:p

DANG!!! You have changed. I was not going to name names and yet you fessed up!!! :thumb: But you were not the main person I was thinking of...nonetheless this latest admission is another example why I have utmost respect for you. :)

Rausch
12-09-2004, 03:45 PM

because IMO .... it's basically your hero, carl peterson, giving you the big,fat middle finger.

Since I am not a radio-sports-show-caller he ISN'T talking about me. Perhaps that finger was meant for you?

tk13
12-09-2004, 03:46 PM

My hero? Carl Peterson? You're kidding, right...

memyselfI
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM

Dufus rides Carl's extension...

er, was that out loud? :eek:

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM

Rufus isn't Carl I doubt that Carl tells him what to write. He could I guess but I don't think so.

memyselfI
12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Since I am not a radio-sports-show-caller he ISN'T talking about me. Perhaps that finger was meant for you?

Ok, so you don't listen to talk radio but that editorial coming on the heels of the communciations with Beer Me is just so in your face 'love it or leave it' that it's disgusting.

They figure people in KC are either so starved for entertainment or too stupid to find mediocrity annoying (or both) thus they address people here who take exception to this as somehow void of character and lacking????

Like the problem with the Chiefs is THE FANS??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Rufus isn't Carl I doubt that Carl tells him what to write. He could I guess but I don't think so.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I feel strongly that Rufus is just a King Carl tool to lash out at the media. Don't even get me started on the "journalistic" capabilities of Gretz. :mad:

Mr. Laz
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM

and who said i was a radio caller???

to think that he isn't including the people "online" is his article is just silly and naive.

he's is talking about fans that group/discuss/complain etc ... just because he happen to not mention BBS fans was omitted by happenstance imo.

philfree
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM
My hero? Carl Peterson? You're kidding, right...

No he's not kidding. If you don't post Carl Peterson sucks and should be fired or jsut agree with Laz whne he posts it then that's the stereotype he puts on you. He seems to lose all ability to comprehend what a person posts if that post doesn't say Carl Sucks.

Rausch
12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
and who said i was a radio caller???

to think that he isn't including the people "online" is his article is just silly and naive.

he's is talking about fans that group/discuss/complain etc ... just because he happen to not mention BBS fans was omitted by happenstance imo.

You've got a point. It's a mentality he's describing, not just a group. But again, I don't see myself as fitting that mentality either.

And he has a point, that screeners love to put on the most loud, ignorant, and argumentative people they can. It helps ratings. So that's a lot, but not all, of what you hear.

Rausch
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
No he's not kidding. If you don't post Carl Peterson sucks and should be fired or jsut agree with Laz whne he posts it then that's the stereotype he puts on you. He seems to lose all ability to comprehend what a person posts if that post doesn't say Carl Sucks.

It's a popular attitude...

tk13
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM

I don't know, maybe so. I think Carl Peterson could give me as a fan "the big middle finger" and not think twice about it... I don't see how that's breaking news or anything. This is the same organization that called fans "classless and deranged" last year, I don't see why there should be some uproar like this has never happened before...

Mr. Laz
12-09-2004, 04:05 PM
You've got a point. It's a mentality he's describing, not just a group. But again, I don't see myself as fitting that mentality either.

And he has a point, that screeners love to put on the most loud, ignorant, and argumentative people they can. It helps ratings. So that's a lot, but not all, of what you hear.
true

Logical
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM

FDA approved stimulants help.

tk13
12-09-2004, 04:31 PM
They must, I think it's always boring rubbish... it's like reading a biased political columnist go on about the greatness of their presidental candidate... there's little value in it.

BigRedChief
12-09-2004, 06:18 PM

FDA Approved? Fuk that Chit. Give me the good stuff:thumb: