PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hockey fans...

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:15 PM
What the heck is up with the NHL right now? Do any of you know whether or not there has been any progress on the strike. Are we going to have any hockey this year?

After football, it is going to be empty until spring training.

I haven't really missed it that much, but right about now I am starting to need a hockey fix. Dang it Carl. :banghead:

ptlyon
12-09-2004, 12:15 PM
No NHL hockey this year - watch the WCHA if you can.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:17 PM
No NHL hockey this year - watch the WCHA if you can.
So who do you blame in this one? The players or the owners?

ptlyon
12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Guess I don't really blame anybody. The players want to get paid and the owners (most of at least) can't afford it. I believe most of the NHL franchises are losing money.

KCTitus
12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Whatever happens, I hope it happens to baseball soon.

Bearcat
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
What the heck is up with the NHL right now? Do any of you know whether or not there has been any progress on the strike. Are we going to have any hockey this year?

After football, it is going to be empty until spring training.

I haven't really missed it that much, but right about now I am starting to need a hockey fix. Dang it Carl. :banghead:

The two sides are talking today and tomorrow. This is the first time they've talked since September. If Bettman won't budge -- and I'm not very optimistic he will -- there won't be any progress, and IMO the season will be cancelled.

I see where both sides are coming from, but I don't like how stubborn Bettman is on the issue.... hockey can survive without a salary cap... if the owners are losing money, it's their own damn fault. The Flames and Lightning were like 19th and 21st in the league in payroll. Lower ticket prices, and show some self control :cuss:

chiefs4me
12-09-2004, 12:28 PM
There will be no hockey this season,,,,,,and I don't care who's fault it is,,,, it sucks.:banghead: And your right come Jan we will be stuck with Basketball until Nascar starts up again. I miss my Dallas Stars,,,,:deevee:

Predarat
12-09-2004, 12:30 PM
They resumed talks today in an effort to save the last part of the season. Both the players and owners need to get their heads out of their asses and get this done. I see the owners point wanting a 'hard' salary cap but I think a luxury tax with very sharp teeth will do for now. Its going to be hard to go from no cap at all to what the owners are wanting. But the teams cannot survive the way it is now. If it werent for a few owners paying MLB/NFL type salaries to overpaid geriatrics this wouldnt be a problem at all. Its ludicris that some of these NHL players are making more than NFL players and more people would watch an extreme dodge ball match than the stanley cup playoffs if they were on at the same time. I love hockey and the NHL but it needs to realize it is niether the NFL nor MLB.
Heres a link but I dont see any current news on how the talks are prgressing just that they are going on. Ill post something when I hear it because we have the Predators in Nashville and one of their broadcasters is going to be on the radio about 4.

NHL (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/)

morphius
12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Both sides are being pretty stubborn, and neither is willing to budge. The guys with the big deal money don't want to give that up. The players are talking about a bunch of different schemes to get things working, like a 10% pay cut across the board, tying payroll to earnings, using the MLB type of scheme... But they just don't seem to be getting any closer. The problem with the self control of the owners is that there is always going to be some owner willing to toss out big money because he wants to win. Honestly, what do you think Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder would spend on their teams if no cap was there?

Oh well.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:37 PM
They resumed talks today in an effort to save the last part of the season. Both the players and owners need to get their heads out of their asses and get this done. I see the owners point wanting a 'hard' salary cap but I think a luxury tax with very sharp teeth will do for now. Its going to be hard to go from no cap at all to what the owners are wanting. But the teams cannot survive the way it is now. If it werent for a few owners paying MLB/NFL type salaries to overpaid geriatrics this wouldnt be a problem at all. Its ludicris that some of these NHL players are making more than NFL players and more people would watch an extreme dodge ball match than the stanly cup playoffs if they were on at the same time. I love hockey and the NHL but it needs to realize it is niether the NFL nor MLB.
NHL (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/)
Well, if they want to move to outdoor rinks so they can hold events in NFL stadiums inbetween football and the start of Baseball, then they can draw more gate do to the expanded seating capacity.

Otherwise, they are limited in their income draw.

Hockey DOES NOT play as well on TV. Unless you are acutely aware of where they are shooting the puck and why, then it looks, "like a bunch of guys skating arround like chickens with their heads cut off."

Most people just dont' care about Hockey the way they do about football.

The Players need to realize this and take what they can get, otherwise they are all going to be playing at AHL salaries real soon, or the league will be contracted down to the original 8, then they can all have rosters chock full of talent.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Both sides are being pretty stubborn, and neither is willing to budge. The guys with the big deal money don't want to give that up. The players are talking about a bunch of different schemes to get things working, like a 10% pay cut across the board, tying payroll to earnings, using the MLB type of scheme... But they just don't seem to be getting any closer. The problem with the self control of the owners is that there is always going to be some owner willing to toss out big money because he wants to win . Honestly, what do you think Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder would spend on their teams if no cap was there?

Oh well.
Dang, I wish the Chiefs owner would feel that way. :banghead:

Cochise
12-09-2004, 12:40 PM
I like hockey and started to pay a little more attention in the past year or two but I am not really upset about this. Sounds pretty clear-cut, something needs to get done because half of the teams are going bankrupt.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Whatever happens, I hope it happens to baseball soon.
I think Baseball is very concerned with the precedent set in Hockey.

The last time they struck, it took a couple of chemical enhanced fiends chasing "unbreakable" home run records to woo the hearts of fans back to it.

Baseball could end up being the bigger loser in this. Shall we say, "baseball is skating on thing ice"?

Bearcat
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
The players are talking about a bunch of different schemes to get things working, like a 10% pay cut across the board, tying payroll to earnings, using the MLB type of scheme... But they just don't seem to be getting any closer.

The problem with the self control of the owners is that there is always going to be some owner willing to toss out big money because he wants to win. Honestly, what do you think Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder would spend on their teams if no cap was there?

Oh well.

That's why I'm blaming Bettman right now.... a 10% pay cut bring them a lot closer to where other sports are... 50-60% of revenue spent towards player salaries... as opposed to the 75% they're at now. And it was originally a 5% cut. It just seems like the players are willing to get it done, but Bettman is crying until he gets his way. The reason they haven't talked in so long is because he pouted out of the meetings in September.

KCTitus
...Shall we say, "baseball is skating on thing ice"?

Very Good!

Calcountry
I like hockey and started to pay a little more attention in the past year or two but I am not really upset about this. Sounds pretty clear-cut, something needs to get done because half of the teams are going bankrupt.
I agree, and really haven't missed it up to this point. But then the Chiefs completely mailed in the season so fuggin early that I need a diversion.

:banghead: ROFL

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 12:44 PM
That's why I'm blaming Bettman right now.... a 10% pay cut bring them a lot closer to where other sports are... 50-60% of revenue spent towards player salaries... as opposed to the 75% they're at now. And it was originally a 5% cut. It just seems like the players are willing to get it done, but Bettman is crying until he gets his way. The reason they haven't talked in so long is because he pouted out of the meetings in September.
Well, he is playing his hand of Texas Holdem.

The only way the owners can push their point is when players like Chris Chelios, who probably will have to retire now, and others, realize they just lost a whole lot of fuggin money, and their monthly nuts just keep going on.

Predarat
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
The Players need to realize this and take what they can get, otherwise they are all going to be playing at AHL salaries real soon, or the league will be contracted down to the original 8, then they can all have rosters chock full of talent.
Thats exactly right. I think it is sick that some of the players dont care if teams contract and other players loose their NHL jobs, such as Chelios so they can contiue to be overpaid.

chiefs4me
12-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Well, if they want to move to outdoor rinks so they can hold events in NFL stadiums inbetween football and the start of Baseball, then they can draw more gate do to the expanded seating capacity.

Otherwise, they are limited in their income draw.

Hockey DOES NOT play as well on TV. Unless you are acutely aware of where they are shooting the puck and why, then it looks, "like a bunch of guys skating arround like chickens with their heads cut off."

Most people just dont' care about Hockey the way they do about football.

What world do you live in? Hockey is nonstop action,,,,Fans all over the world,,,,I would take a hockey game any day over football.:thumb:

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Implement the salary cap. Lock out the players' union. Take control of the league... model it after the NFL.

I would love for KC to land a NHL franchise once they get the league fixed :D

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 02:28 PM
What world do you live in? Hockey is nonstop action,,,,Fans all over the world,,,,I would take a hockey game any day over football.:thumb:
Dude, I live in California. Lets lay that aside for a minute.

At the arena, I agree whole heartedly. Quality entertainment up and down, non stop.

On T.V. to the marginal viewer, it is the marginal viewer that is where the profit comes from, they can't follow it.

Its the real economic world that I live in man. Which one do you live in?
:) :p

HC_Chief
12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
bunnytrdr is 100% correct... hockey on television is a flop. Only die-hards will sit through an entire match. Hockey is a sport that's phenominal in person, but kinda boring on TV.

That's why I want a team in KC!!!! :D

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 02:49 PM
bunnytrdr is 100% correct... hockey on television is a flop. Only die-hards will sit through an entire match. Hockey is a sport that's phenominal in person, but kinda boring on TV.

That's why I want a team in KC!!!! :D
I would consider myself to be pretty die hard, however, even I cannot put together 3 hours when the game is only 1-0. I am also sure that the "marginal" fan cannot stomach it.

Therefore, I propose some minor changes to the game that would widen its popularity and ultimately its economic viability.
They need to widen the goal mouths by a pucks breadth on either side to marginally increase scoring in the NHL. The Rinks need to be widened by a modest 3 feet on each side as well.

That would open it up for the more talented players and increase scoring by 2 to 4 goals per game. I am not for elimination of the red line, as that would take away emphasis on clean break out plays and crisp passing.

Predarat
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Things are starting slow.

NHLPA, NHL wrap up important meeting

Canadian Press

12/9/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association have wrapped up in Toronto after nearly four hours of discussion Thursday. There was apparently little progress made, and the NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events. A league spokesman said no talks were planned for tomorrow, but the two sides will get together again next week.

NHL Talks (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=107451&hubName=nhl)

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Things are starting slow.

NHLPA, NHL wrap up important meeting

Canadian Press

12/9/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Talks between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players' Association have wrapped up in Toronto after nearly four hours of discussion Thursday. There was apparently little progress made, and the NHL will hold a press conference at 4:45 PM ET to discuss the day's events. A league spokesman said no talks were planned for tomorrow, but the two sides will get together again next week.

NHL Talks (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=107451&hubName=nhl)
Ooops there goes another game check.

Bearcat
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I think we've had this argument before, but I'd much rather be at a football game than a hockey game. Minus touchdown replays, it's really rare that you get to see what the QB is looking at on TV. I see so much more stuff when I'm at football games, it's unbelievable.

OTOH, while there is stuff that goes on away from the puck, people would see more of the game if they unglued their eyes from the puck. When a team is in their offensive zone, I watch the goalie, the guys in front of the net, the defensemen setting up/pinching in... all within the limitations of the camera. I agree that the casual fan doesn't like watching hockey because they can't follow the puck.... but if they would quit trying so hard, they would see much more of the game.

I can watch a hockey game between just about anyone... NHL, European, AHL, IHL, NCAA.... I love football, but hockey is better than kickoff, commercial, 3 plays, punt, commercial, touchdown, commerical, kickoff, commercial. Hockey can get chopped up with whistles sometimes, but there's only 15 seconds between them, as opposed to the average 6-second play in the NFL.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I can watch a hockey game between just about anyone... NHL, European, AHL, IHL, NCAA.... I love football, but hockey is better than kickoff, commercial, 3 plays, punt, commercial, touchdown, commerical, kickoff, commercial . Hockey can get chopped up with whistles sometimes, but there's only 15 seconds between them, as opposed to the average 6-second play in the NFL.
I wholeheartedly agree with this point.

That is why TIVO improves football dramatically.

In the time it takes to watch one game live, you can watch 2 games near live. I simply pause one tuner, which allows some game time to accumulate, about 5 to 10 minutes worth, while I have the Tivo on the other tuner. When I run out of game on that tuner by speeding through the many commercials I pause it, then toggle to the other game and do the same. While on that one, game time is accumulating.

Of course, any more than this and they will report the score of the other game or something and screw up the entertainment value, but it beats the hell out of watching getting a whole games worth of air time in commercials.

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 03:19 PM
I think we've had this argument before, but I'd much rather be at a football game than a hockey game. Minus touchdown replays, it's really rare that you get to see what the QB is looking at on TV. I see so much more stuff when I'm at football games, it's unbelievable.

OTOH, while there is stuff that goes on away from the puck, people would see more of the game if they unglued their eyes from the puck. When a team is in their offensive zone, I watch the goalie, the guys in front of the net, the defensemen setting up/pinching in... all within the limitations of the camera. I agree that the casual fan doesn't like watching hockey because they can't follow the puck.... but if they would quit trying so hard, they would see much more of the game.

I can watch a hockey game between just about anyone... NHL, European, AHL, IHL, NCAA.... I love football, but hockey is better than kickoff, commercial, 3 plays, punt, commercial, touchdown, commerical, kickoff, commercial. Hockey can get chopped up with whistles sometimes, but there's only 15 seconds between them, as opposed to the average 6-second play in the NFL.
In fact, I haven't seen you posting much lately and missed the dialogue. I started the thread hoping to draw you out man. I hate to say it, but football season is pretty much over for us. lmao. :thumb:

Demonpenz
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
hockey needs to tell the refs to crack down on the clutching and grabbing. Let some of the hockey plays with great skill show their stuff. Instead all the holding and shit. Oh and EA sports, how about stoping making your hockey games like nfl blitz

Demonpenz
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I love hockey. I wish they would cut down some teams where hockey doesn't even belong.

Bearcat
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
hockey needs to tell the refs to crack down on the clutching and grabbing. Let some of the hockey plays with great skill show their stuff. Instead all the holding and shit. Oh and EA sports, how about stoping making your hockey games like nfl blitz

Hockey in international rinks is great.... there are NHL guys playing in Europe right now that say they try to play the NHL style, but they get worn out trying because there's so much more room. Screw the stupid rule proposals like the goalie can't come out of the crease... if the rinks were larger (which will never happen because they would have to take out seats, or if the refs played by the rules, the game would be fixed. Period.

Oh, and play the ESPN NHL2K series.... the gameplay isn't 10 guys all huddled around a puck... there's actual hockey AI ;)

Bearcat
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
In fact, I haven't seen you posting much lately and missed the dialogue. I started the thread hoping to draw you out man. I hate to say it, but football season is pretty much over for us. lmao. :thumb:

Yeah, I guess since I read so much about football here, and then go home and watch NFL Live, or Countdown, etc; that it makes me less vocal about it. It's a lot harder to find decent hockey talk, so I have to jump at any chance I get.

Guess I'll survive on college basketball if the NHL doesn't get it's act together... from the NFL draft through June will suck though :sulk:

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I love hockey. I wish they would cut down some teams where hockey doesn't even belong.
Are you from Canada?

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I guess since I read so much about football here, and then go home and watch NFL Live, or Countdown, etc; that it makes me less vocal about it. It's a lot harder to find decent hockey talk, so I have to jump at any chance I get.

Guess I'll survive on college basketball if the NHL doesn't get it's act together... from the NFL draft through June will suck though :sulk:
That is what I am thinking, because the NBA has officially imploded.

Demonpenz
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
channel hockey on mIRC used to be a great channel

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
channel hockey on mIRC used to be a great channel
Does Hockey belong in San Jose?

Bearcat
12-10-2004, 07:19 AM
That's HUGE!! If Bettman flat out denies this proposal, he should just cancel the season.... and maybe next season to.

NHL Players Offer 24 Percent Salary Cut

IRA PODELL
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif

TORONTO - The NHL players' association stunned the league and even its members with its latest effort to save the hockey season. When the owners walked away Thursday after the first bargaining session in three months, they had a 236-page document to go through and an offer of a 24 percent rollback of all salaries to consider.

"It was shocking for me to hear it," said Dallas forward Bill Guerin, a member of the executive board. "That's a lot of money out of a guy's pocket to be giving up."

But like the Sept. 9 bargaining session that triggered the lockout a week later, the new offer doesn't provide the cost certainty that commissioner Gary Bettman is seeking for the 30 NHL clubs.

He noted that one aspect - presumably the rollback - was significant. But he still isn't in favor of a luxury-tax system, that players prefer, over a salary cap.

A cap is an option the union says it will never accept.

"We have said consistently that the focus must be on the overall systemic issues and the long-term needs and health of our game," Bettman said.

By union estimates, the six-year, six-point proposal would save the NHL a total that exceeds $1 billion.

The union said all current contracts would be cut, a move that would save NHL teams $270 million in the first year and $528 million over three years. The players' association offer on Sept. 9 only included a 5 percent salary rollback.

Another key portion of the proposal is a luxury tax, but those numbers were similar to the previous offer. If a deal is there to be made, the payroll tax would likely be the area that provides the most room for negotiation.

"I'm not sitting here saying that something couldn't be moved or adjusted, but I am saying this is the basis for an agreement, this is the basis for there to be hockey this year," NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow said.

Bettman said the NHL needed time to go through the offer. The sides agreed to postpone the next meeting from Friday until Tuesday, either in New York or Toronto.

At that time, Bettman said the league will likely make a counterproposal.
Time is running short to work out a deal and still have a legitimate season. Already 382 regular-season games, plus the All-Star game, have been canceled.

Bettman declined to announce a drop-dead date that would make the NHL the first major North American league to cancel an entire season over a labor dispute.

"When we have the deal, we'll see what we can do about having a semblance of a season," Bettman said.
After this major giveback offer, players had an even stronger resolve against a cap.

"If they want to come back with a linkage to a salary cap, then there will be no season," said Ottawa forward Daniel Alfredsson, who would stand to lose millions of a recently signed five-year deal.

The proposed luxury tax would penalize teams 20 cents for each dollar they spend between $45 million and $50 million. The penalty would increase to 25 percent the second year and 30 percent in the third.
Teams spending between $50 million and $60 million would be taxed 50 cents on the dollar the first year, 55 cents the second year and 60 cents the third. Those with payrolls above that would have to pay 60 cents for every dollar the first year, 65 cents the second, and 70 cents the third year on each dollar over the threshold.

The NHLPA offered to change arbitration and make it more like baseball's system in which clubs and players submit figures for an arbitrator to decide on.

An entry-level contract cap of $850,000 also was proposed, which would return the ceiling to that of the 1995 draft class. Last season, the cap on entry-level contracts was $1.295 million.
The players' association also proposed a revenue-sharing plan to bring the bottom 15 teams within 30 percent of the revenues of the top 15 teams.

"This is no grandstand ploy. ... This is serious negotiations," Goodenow said.

Arenas have been given the go-ahead by the league to free dates previously reserved for hockey on a 45-day rolling basis. As of now, that means there won't be any games before late January.
Bettman has said that teams lost a total of more than $1.8 billion over 10 years and that management will not agree to a deal without a defined relationship between revenue and salaries. Owners say teams lost $273 million in 2002-03 and $224 million last season.

Last season's average salary was $1.8 million, and the NHL has proposed pushing that back to $1.3 million with its salary-cap structure.
An economic study commissioned by the NHL found that players get 75 percent of league revenues. The union has challenged many of the league's financial findings.

The league has been operating under the same collective bargaining agreement since 1995, when the last lockout went 103 days before a 48-game season was played.

KCTitus
12-10-2004, 07:45 AM
The NHLPA offered to change arbitration and make it more like baseball's system in which clubs and players submit figures for an arbitrator to decide on.

Now THERE's a great idea..."let's do it like baseball" LOL.

unlurking
12-10-2004, 08:00 AM
The new offer from the NHLPA is EXACTLY what is needed.

I think it is an ALMOST perfect compromise between the two sides. The only thing I would like to see added is a provision that states any team that spends less than 30 mill gets ZERO share of any revenue sharing to keep cheap bastards from icing crappy teams. Maybe less than 35 mill and you lose 20% of your share.

That would effectively put all teams within 10 mill of payroll.

If Betteman doesn't agree to this one, he needs to be fired. Actually, he needs to be fired anyway, but this one would put the nail in his coffin if you ask me.

The NHL has been hurt mainly be Betteman's retarded "pussification" of the sport and his over-expansion goals. I wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams get cancelled either.

As far as arbitration, the GOOD thing about the change is that teams can now ask for arbitration, where currently only players can take a team to arbitration.

Hey Bunny, try watching hockey on a 61" HD wide screen. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I think HDTV will revive the TV ratings for hockey, once things get going again.

GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2004, 08:09 AM
OMG H0CKEH?

You Canehdia-loving fag0tz.

Bearcat
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
The new offer from the NHLPA is EXACTLY what is needed.

I think it is an ALMOST perfect compromise between the two sides. The only thing I would like to see added is a provision that states any team that spends less than 30 mill gets ZERO share of any revenue sharing to keep cheap bastards from icing crappy teams. Maybe less than 35 mill and you lose 20% of your share.

That would effectively put all teams within 10 mill of payroll.

If Betteman doesn't agree to this one, he needs to be fired. Actually, he needs to be fired anyway, but this one would put the nail in his coffin if you ask me.

The NHL has been hurt mainly be Betteman's retarded "pussification" of the sport and his over-expansion goals. I wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams get cancelled either.

As far as arbitration, the GOOD thing about the change is that teams can now ask for arbitration, where currently only players can take a team to arbitration.

Hey Bunny, try watching hockey on a 61" HD wide screen. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I think HDTV will revive the TV ratings for hockey, once things get going again.

GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

I like that idea... it can be called the "Blackhawk Clause". There was a good article in the Denver Post (and espn.com, too) about Bettman.... many, many reasons why he's not good for hockey... number one being that he's an NBA man, not an NHL man. He's like a carpenter with all the right tools... yet he's using kitchen utensils.

unlurking
12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
:thumb:

I like that idea... it can be called the "Blackhawk Clause". There was a good article in the Denver Post (and espn.com, too) about Bettman.... many, many reasons why he's not good for hockey... number one being that he's an NBA man, not an NHL man. He's like a carpenter with all the right tools... yet he's using kitchen utensils.
I like the title "Blackhawk Clause"! Fits perfectly! :D

I'll have to dig up that article, the guy has really ruined the sport over the last few years.

To be honest, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a shortening of the season to 62 games either. Unlike most, I like the fact that so many teams make the playoffs in the NHL though. Playoff hockey is just phenomenal, every team plays differently.

I better get one HELL of a deal from Center Ice on this season, if there is one.

Bearcat
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
I like the title "Blackhawk Clause"! Fits perfectly! :D

I'll have to dig up that article, the guy has really ruined the sport over the last few years.

To be honest, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a shortening of the season to 62 games either. Unlike most, I like the fact that so many teams make the playoffs in the NHL though. Playoff hockey is just phenomenal, every team plays differently.

I better get one HELL of a deal from Center Ice on this season, if there is one.

It was from Terry Frei, I believe.... couldn't find it on espn.com, maybe it was only in the Denver Post :shrug:

He'll continue to run it into the ground, too, with the proposed gimmicks to "make the game more entertaining". As posted earlier, I'd just like to see all the clutching & hooking penalties called, no matter if it's in the first minute of the first game of the season or OT of Game 7 of the Cup Finals.

Yeah, it's definitely why the NHL doesn't need a hard salary cap.... people think the NHL lets too many teams in, but the NFL and NBA have had their share of mediocre teams in the playoffs... the difference is that you see a lot more upsets in the early rounds of the NHL playoffs. People have talked about shortening the season, but I'm not sure.... there's quite a bit of movement in the standings, unlike say, MLB, where there's almost no movement from June-Sept. Besides, the NHL needs all the Detroit/Colorado games it can get :)