PDA

View Full Version : The Notre Dame Balding Irish

Chieficus
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1942718

Thursday, December 9, 2004

Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The assistant to Notre Dame's president shaved her head to protest Tyrone Willingham's firing as football coach, saying she will remain bald until the Irish win a national championship.

"Because when we do, that will be justification for some people of why we fired Tyrone Willingham," Chandra Johnson said. "Not for me, but for some people."

Johnson, 50, assistant to the Rev. Edward A. Malloy, Notre Dame's president, said she shaved her head last Saturday. Johnson, the school's highest-profile black administrator, told the South Bend Tribune she was shocked at the firing of Willingham _ the first black head coach in any sport at Notre Dame.

"The process was flawed," Johnson said. "There weren't enough people in the conversation. And there was little or no consideration of the ramifications of the decision."

Johnson also said the decision has hurt Notre Dame's goal of improving diversity on campus.

"I think the damage that was done by this decision is irreparable in the immediate future," she told the newspaper.

On Wednesday, Malloy said he was surprised Willingham was not given more time to try to succeed and that he was embarrassed by the firing.

People can debate the merits of Willingham's firing from now until Notre Dame gets a new coach...sorry... I mean from now until the cows come home....

But sometimes there are things that a person does that is just stupid. And someone probably needs to tell this lady: "Hey, you're acting stupid." Otherwise, she's going to be bald for quite a while...

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 07:53 PM
From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1942718

People can debate the merits of Willingham's firing from now until Notre Dame gets a new coach...sorry... I mean from now until the cows come home....

But sometimes there are things that a person does that is just stupid. And someone probably needs to tell this lady: "Hey, you're acting stupid." Otherwise, she's going to be bald for quite a while...
No replys, thats just not nice, so here you are. :thumb: