PDA

View Full Version : WHAT MAKES A FAIR WEATHER FAN ?

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 04:43 PM
A fair weather fan is some one who is a fan when a team is doing good, and isn't a fan when the team is doing bad.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON!

------------------
WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING!

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 05:15 PM
It's not that simple raiderhater. Nothing ever is!

What is the definition of a good fan? Is it possible for a good fan to become so disenfranchised with the team they root for that they ignore all positives that the team is currently doing and forget to credit those responsible? I think so. I think, no matter how long someone has been a fan of a team, that they can change and their actions can show that they are not a fan of the particular team as deeply as they believe they are.
Once, in my estimation, any fan no longer tries to see the whole picture and tosses away the positive in the present and the future for the opportunity to keep crying about the past, they are fair weather fans. Be they 20 year ticket holders or just so called fans for the last couple years. The truth hurts.

See what happens is that people who have been rooting for the chiefs for awhile have feelings of ambiguity because they've became so cynical and negative but deep inside they have this true love for the chiefs that they don't let shine. Well actions (i.e. posts) speak louder than good intentions and thus without even knowing it they have become fair weather fans. This sad to see happen because our chiefs.....

1. Competed against a d#am good team last week.

2. Have made a committment to youth. That can make an immediate impact.

I'll however look forward to those who say "I say just as much positive about the chiefs as negative" I'll just laugh at them and say poppycock. You have no idea how silly some people look trying to destroy everything good the chiefs have built but in the same breath try and say they back them.<P>

AustinChief
09-10-2000, 05:21 PM
You guys can judge each other's fandom all day. This is one time I can truly agree with a nasty little concept started elsewhere, "That is your interpretation, not mine."

Without disagreement on the methodology of the game, you may as well have Kyle shut down the BB, because there would be nothing to discuss.

I feel that I am the very best fan that I can be. I am sure that Cannibal feels the same way. Yet, we rarely see eye to eye on any subject regarding the team. Is he fairweather or am I? I say neither as both of us want our team to win the SB every single year.

Leave the question of fandom on the other BB where it belongs. This BB was created because real fans wanted to express their real opinions, even if they vehemently disagreed with another real fan.

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 05:24 PM
I disagree wolfman cause if someone is completely negative all the time it enters into the credibilty of what they SAY!

This will never be ignored by fans of any team who look at things objectively and watch the brainless spew crap about their team that would hurt it more than help it.

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 06:10 PM
DR., what do you mean nothing is ever that simple? Murder is wrong. It's that simple, I could make a giant list for you, but I have already proven my point. Tell me when you think of a fair weather freind do you think of some one who is negative all the time, or a friend that is only around when things are going good? The latter. That is the definition of a fair weather whatever. You are using a definition that doesn't fit. I think the term you are looking for is negative.
Wolfman, just so you know I am not questioning wether any one is a true fan or not. I saw some of the threads earlier about being a fair weather fan, and saw that the term was being misused. So I decided to clarify it.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON

------------------

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 06:17 PM
Wrong......part of your definition is correct though but it is incorporated in what I've already said. But for the sake of argument let's just go on your assertion that a fair weather ANYTHING is only there when things are good.

My point then is ultimately made just with that logic. Period.

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 06:29 PM
You are not making any sense. The people who are talking negative have not said that they are giving up on the team, and are rooting for another. They are still fans and want their team to do well. That is why they are negative, they are stating what is wrong with the team. You need that. If you look only at the positive and ignore the negative, then the problems won't be solved. And I know that you also have to look at the positives and build with what is good. And perhapssome of the fans don't always do that, but that does not mean that they are not fans. If you belive that than you are nuts.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON, again! You are one of my more difficult pupils. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 06:31 PM
See you haven't taught anything because your message is wrong. When a fan is more negative about their team than postive they have stepped off the bandwagon and have become fair weather. Period.

bud
09-10-2000, 06:33 PM
they have stepped off the bandwagon and have become fair weather

Wait, I get it now... duh! What was I thinking?

Real fans are bandwagon fans...

It's all so clear now...

lol...

------------------
Lightening Crashes... and i am there...

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 06:42 PM
Good one Chiefcus!
Dear Dr., Unless some one has said that they are giving up on the Chiefs, they are still fans. You are trying to give me phsco-babble that makes no sense what so ever. You and Gun need to lay off of the smelling salts, they are really screwing with your brains. Not the message, just a thick skulled pupil. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON, I had no idea this was going to be a 2 semester course.

------------------

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 06:47 PM
I don't expect you to admit I'm right raiderhater cause then a lot of chief fans would have to look at themselves and evaluate just how good of fans they really are. That would just be to hard. Fair weather is fair weather no middle of the road.

You've even defined it pretty good which is surprising.

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 07:01 PM
Excuse me, are you implying that I am a fair weather fan. I could just be reading in to it to deep, but if I'm not then I want an explanation on how you think that I am one.
All I done is give the proper definition on a fair weather fan. And another thing, what do you mean that there is no middle of the road? I mean I agree with that, but you are the one who said that there is nothing simple as simple as the definition i gave of the fair weather fan. No middle of the road is pretty cut, and dry, and simple. Listen if you want to play games by saying that I have proven your point and make it look like I'm agreeing with you fine. I'll play those games all night long. I have a tallent for arguing and getting my point across, especially when I'm right( then I am unbeatable).

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON, wondering why I ever became a teacher.

------------------

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 07:17 PM
Raderhater if the shoe fits then I guess you are. That's for you to determine. I only call the cut and dried cases like HC.Chief.

sd4chiefs
09-10-2000, 07:20 PM
Some one who is packing up a Chiefs hat bought in '95 because his Colt hat looks better at the Sports Bar...

AZ

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 07:26 PM
Doctor, I see problems with the Chiefs, but to question my loyalty to my team is like questioning my manhood ( don't go there ). As far as only calling certain cases cut and dry, well if you say one thing and then do another then you would be considered a hypocrite. I suppose now you are going to try and redefine the word hypocrite.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON

------------------

KCWolfman
09-10-2000, 07:27 PM
Well stated AZ.

------------------

Bob Dole
09-10-2000, 08:45 PM
I'm calling you fair weather raderhater cause your supporting fair weather actions.<P>

KCWolfman
09-11-2000, 08:10 PM
Dr., were do get that I am supporting fair weather actions? The only thing I have done is give the definition of a fair weather fan, and agreeing with others who give the same definition. If you are refering to my comment about seeing problems with the Chiefs, then you are nuts. Do you mean to tell me that there are things that you would not change about the team? That does not make you a fair weather or bandwagon fan. I HAVE NOT AND WILL NOT GIVE UP ON MY TEAM! GO CHIEFS!!!

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON, this is a simple lesson I don't understand why you are having trouble learning it

------------------

Bob Dole
09-11-2000, 10:10 PM
You crack me up pookie in thinking you give a lesson. I'm going to sit back and read some threads and evaluate people based on fact and jump in and enlighten people every once in awhile.

Gracie Dean
09-12-2000, 09:00 AM
I have seen this issue hashed and rehashed over the years and have given it a lot of thought. I am generally not one to question the fandom of another. But, push to shove, I am less than comfortable with the fans who constantly express negativity.

I realize that the criticism is well intended and these fans [for the most part] want the same thing I do, overpowering wins every Sunday and an eventual SB. But I had to figure what bothered me so much. And I think it is a matter of approach.

Excuse any latent [or overt] sexism her, but the Chiefs right now are like a girlfriend or wife who has put on a little weight. Now you can be fine with that, or you can constructively and tactfully approach the matter, offer support, etc., or you can strike the same chord as the negative Chiefs fan and sit around grousing about that a "fat b*&*" your wife has become, or what a "f(*&ing cow" she is.

Now I can no more question your fandom than I can question if someone loves his wife or girlfriend, but I can take issue with APPROACH.

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 09:50 AM
raiderhader, this is a stupid post... and I'm not too smart myself for responding...

but... I am a Chiefs fan good or bad... And when they screw up I'll use my 1st amendment rights and say so...

You keep wearing those pink glasses okay? That way you won't see anything that makes you sad...

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 09:50 AM
Pass the smelling salts please... I think raiderhader's allergies are affecting his mind...<BR>

KCWolfman
09-12-2000, 06:37 PM
Doctor, POOKIE?
Fly, what are you talking about? I am the one who says that just because you see something wrong with the team and express it doesn't mean you are a fair weather fan. The good doctor would consider you a fair weather fan because you say negative things about your team. And what are you talking about pink glasses and not seeing anything bad? If you would read a little closer you would see that I have problems with the Chiefs, but I will not give up on them and root for another team. Therefore I am not a fair weather fan. Allergies?
JC, I agree with the context issue, but just because some people see all negative does not mean they are fair weather fans unless they give up on the team when they are bad, and root for them when they are doing good.

THUS ENDETH THE LESSON, I don't know how every one can miss read my remarks and try to redefine a phrase that has been a part of our lexicon for so long! What do you guys think the meaning of "is" is?

------------------

AustinChief
09-12-2000, 06:40 PM
Well then, I must have misread your remarks...<BR>

Mi_chief_fan
09-12-2000, 06:54 PM
Argue about fandom all you want. Chiefs are gonna win Sunday. We've lost two games to two of the best teams playing, and lost one (possibly both) due to stupid coaching.
The boys are playing their BUTTS off, and I'm rightfully proud of them. Dan Williams, of all people, played great Sunday.
We'll turn it around against the Bolts and drive on.
Thus endeth the lesson...GO CHIEFS!

Mi_chief_fan
09-12-2000, 06:55 PM
Argue about fandom all you want. Chiefs are gonna win Sunday. We've lost two games to two of the best teams playing, and lost one (possibly both) due to stupid coaching.
The boys are playing their BUTTS off, and I'm rightfully proud of them. Dan Williams, of all people, played great Sunday.

Mi_chief_fan
09-12-2000, 06:55 PM