PDA

View Full Version : Exxon Valdez Jr.??

BigVE
12-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Another shipwreck/oil spill in Alaska. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6684005/

This is in one of the most beautiful places on earth, now it will be ruined for years to come.

Hydrae
12-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Nowhere near as big as the Valdez. Thank God!

I have not heard yet what caused the ship to break in two to begin with. Any ideas?

BigVE
12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Nowhere near as big as the Valdez. Thank God!

I have not heard yet what caused the ship to break in two to begin with. Any ideas?

In this case, size DOESNT matter IMO. Its in a very evironmentally sensitive area and its in a remote location that will make clean-up very difficult. I didnt really see an explanation on HOW this happened. And by the way, since it was SMALLER thats why I put Jr.

Donger
12-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Another shipwreck/oil spill in Alaska. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6684005/

This is in one of the most beautiful places on earth, now it will be ruined for years to come.

You think the Aleutian Islands are beautiful?

Chiefless
12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
the Exxon Valdez was an oil tanker. This was a cargo ship carrying soy beans. The oil it spilled was, basically, it's own fuel. So, while it will have a negative impact on the Alaskan environment it will not be nearly as catastrophic.

The way I understand it, their engines failed in the wake of a horrible storm, their ancor snapped and so they were helplessly adrift in 25ft swells. The had a tug teathered to it for a few hours, but that line snapped too. I think everything possible was done to prevent disaster...it just didn't go their way...

Six people died durring the rescue too...all in all a pretty crappy accident.

jjjayb
12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
In this case, size DOESNT matter IMO. Its in a very evironmentally sensitive area and its in a remote location that will make clean-up very difficult. I didnt really see an explanation on HOW this happened. And by the way, since it was SMALLER thats why I put Jr.

How do you determine if someplace is "environmentally sensitive" or not? :hmmm:

KingPriest2
12-10-2004, 09:23 PM

More like a embryo.