PDA

View Full Version : Justin Tuck DE

crossbow
12-11-2004, 08:24 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/de/justintuck.html

What do you guys know about this kid? We could book end him with J. Allen in third and long. They could meet at the QB. It would be a big problem for the other team's offense. If they doubled pass pro on either him or Allen then the middle would collapse on them. That would make Gunther a happy camper because he wouldn't have to dog his linebackers so much.

He could also lose about 15 pounds and be an OLB.

Alphaman
12-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I don't think a guy built for a 3-4 defense will fit our scheme.

Michael Michigan
12-11-2004, 10:17 AM

The Chiefs d has a scheme?

txhawk
12-11-2004, 12:22 PM

Yeah I guess ATL DE Patrick Kerney hasn't had a very good season.
Good players adapt, regardless of what defensive scheme they've been involved with in the past.

go bowe
12-11-2004, 12:30 PM
The Chiefs d has a scheme?ROFL ROFL ROFL

Alphaman
12-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah I guess ATL DE Patrick Kerney hasn't had a very good season.
Good players adapt, regardless of what defensive scheme they've been involved with in the past.

I didn't say anything about schemes of the past. I said schemes he's built for. This kid is built to be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme not a DE in a 4-3 scheme. He's 260 lbs. That is extremely light for a DE in the NFL. He won't be any help in run defense.

Further,

He could also lose about 15 pounds and be an OLB.

Haven't we had enough of trying to convert players to other positions.

Safeties converted to CBs
LBs converted to DEs
FBs converted to RBs

This kid may be talented, but I'm willing to bet we can draft a DE that is built to be a DE in a 4-3 scheme.

Alphaman
12-11-2004, 01:33 PM

OK that's funny.. :thumb:

Yes we have a scheme, we just don't have players with enough talent to execute it.

go bowe
12-11-2004, 01:48 PM
I didn't say anything about schemes of the past. I said schemes he's built for. This kid is built to be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme not a DE in a 4-3 scheme. He's 260 lbs. That is extremely light for a DE in the NFL. He won't be any help in run defense.

. . .allen is listed by the chiefs at 265...

Mr. Kotter
12-11-2004, 01:51 PM
WTF is this, with a FB thread crap; the season has been over for a month..... :rolleyes:

Although tecnically, I guess this would be a draft thread... :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
12-11-2004, 01:56 PM

http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/Z/dog42.gif

:spock:

Spicy McHaggis
12-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Who out of these DE's will realistically be there in the top half of the 2nd round? Kiwi and Erasmus James will be gone for sure I'm guessing. It would be money if we could get our impact player (rolle, Johnson) in the first and still get a top rated DE in the 2nd

Alphaman
12-11-2004, 02:02 PM
allen is listed by the chiefs at 265...

Correct, and the Chiefs have said over and over that he needs to get bigger so that he will hold up better against the run.

Here's a quote from Ivan Carter's article on the Chiefs young players this week:

Listed at 6 feet 6, 265 pounds, Allen is sometimes driven off the line of scrimmage by offensive tackles much larger than him, and he's had more than one pass rush conclude with him on the ground. But he counters a lack of bulk with an explosive first step and a motor that never quits.

At 6'6" he's can add 15 lbs and not lose any speed.

Here's what' said about Tuck:

Strengths: Excellent athletic ability...Tall and lanky...Explosive speed and quickness...Top production and a sack artist...Has a lot of experience against top competition...Is unblockable at times.
Weaknesses: Undersized...Needs to continue to get bigger and stronger...Improving but still not a force against the run...A 'tweener who could project to OLB in the pros, especially in a 3-4 scheme.
I don't think he'll be an effective DE in the NFL.

HolmeZz
12-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Notre Dame's all time sack leader. I liked him a lot in college, but I don't think he equates well to a DE in the pros. He'd more than likely have to move to linebacker.

crossbow
12-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Notre Dame's all time sack leader. I liked him a lot in college, but I don't think he equates well to a DE in the pros. He'd more than likely have to move to linebacker.

Who cares where he lines up if he can get to the QB? That's what this defense is lacking on the strong side. My point is: with Allen on the left and this guy on the right, the pass rush would have speed. Let Hicks deal with the right tackle to free this guy up to go after the passer. If he is a liability against the run then save him for the pass rush.

Alphaman
12-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Who cares where he lines up if he can get to the QB? That's what this defense is lacking on the strong side. My point is: with Allen on the left and this guy on the right, the pass rush would have speed. Let Hicks deal with the right tackle to free this guy up to go after the passer. If he is a liability against the run then save him for the pass rush.

So you want to play him at outside LB in a 4-3? Can he cover? Is he going to be faster than Fujita or Derrick Johnson (hopefully our 1st round pick)? We already have a guy who is a speed rusher off the edge. Gary Stills. Will Tuck be a better STs player than Stills?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that we need to improve the pass rush. I'd prefer to replace Hicks. This should have been his year. Attacking scheme, more pressure up the middle, LBs blitzing and he has done squat.