David.
12-11-2004, 07:08 PM
ahaha.....ahahaahaha

ArrowheadHawk
12-11-2004, 07:09 PM
is the patriot offense really that good.....ND will still suck

Ralphy Boy
12-11-2004, 09:06 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1943710)
Charlie Weis is to become the new Notre Dame football coach, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Sources close to the university have confirmed Saturday that the New England Patriots offensive coordinator has agreed to a six-year contract that will pay him approximately $2 million per year.

Weis will fly to South Bend after Sunday's home game against the Cincinnati Bengals and meet with the Fighting Irish football team that night.

A press conference to introduce Weis will be held on Monday.

Weis could not be reached by The Associated Press at his Massachusetts home Saturday night.

The Fighting Irish have been searching for nearly two weeks for a replacement for Tyrone Willingham, who was fired Nov. 30 after posting a 21-15 record in three years.

Notre Dame, which interviewed Weis this week, also interviewed Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements on Thursday night. Notre Dame officials called Clements, a former Fighting Irish quarterback, on Saturday morning and told him he was no longer in the running for the job and negotiations with Weis began.

The report is "nothing that we would comment on," Patriots spokesman Stacey James said.

Weis will be the first Notre Dame alum to coach the Irish since Hugh Devore was interim coach in 1963. Devore replaced Joe Kuharich, who was from South Bend and a Notre Dame grad. Ara Parseghian, who became coach in 1964, was the first Irish coach in 45 years who had not played for Notre Dame.

Weis didn't play for the Irish either, but he did graduate from the school in 1978 with a degree in communications and education.

He taught and coached high school in New Jersey from 1979-84 before taking an assistant's job at South Carolina for four seasons. He returned to coaching at the high school level for one year before joining the New York Giants' pro personnel department in 1989.

Weis was hired by the Giants as defensive assistant and assistant special teams coach in 1990, earning his first Super Bowl ring. When Ray Handley was named coach of the Giants in 1991, he named Weis running backs coach.

Weis worked for the Patriots from 1993-96, coaching tight ends, running backs and wide receivers. In 1997, Weis was hired by New York Jets coach Bill Parcells, who asked former Giants offensive coordinator Ron Erhardt to groom Weis as the Jets' offensive coordinator. In 1998, he was named Jets offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach.

He has been the Patriots' offensive coordinator the past five seasons, earning two more Super Bowl rings.

He is credited with helping to develop quarterback Tom Brady, tight end Ben Coates, running back Curtis Martin, wide receiver Terry Glenn and former Notre Dame receiver David Givens.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Amnorix
12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
is the patriot offense really that good.....ND will still suck

Well, we won two Super Bowls with a no-name offensive line, Antowain freaking Smith as our RB, and a bunch of wideouts most people couldn't name. What do you think?

Now that we have Dillon, we were #5 in the league in scoring, last I knew.

Yeah, he's very solid. I think he'll be very good at it. Too bad for us, but we knew this was coming. Better ND than the friggin Dolphins or any AFC team, for that matter.

Amnorix
12-11-2004, 11:15 PM
espnnews

Sorry about that, Amnorix

Yeah, kinda sucks, but he'll probably split his time for the balance of this season like Nick Saban did in '94 when he was with the Browns and took the Michigan State HC job.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah, kinda sucks, but he'll probably split his time for the balance of this season like Nick Saban did in '94 when he was with the Browns and took the Michigan State HC job.

I don't think it'll be a distraction for you guys at all. If you can survive all those injuries like you did last year, then this should be like a bug on the floor. Ya'll are a championship team, and I don't see this holding you guys back at all.

Spicy McHaggis
12-11-2004, 11:47 PM
I want Scott Pioli, Amnorix. I'll send 2 million in unmarked bills.

Miles
12-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, we won two Super Bowls with a no-name offensive line, Antowain freaking Smith as our RB, and a bunch of wideouts most people couldn't name. What do you think?

Now that we have Dillon, we were #5 in the league in scoring, last I knew.

Yeah, he's very solid. I think he'll be very good at it. Too bad for us, but we knew this was coming. Better ND than the friggin Dolphins or any AFC team, for that matter.

Yeah i definity agree. The spread the ball around offesne has been very successful with the talent around Brady.

However i think most fans underestimate the talent that NE has at WR. During the first SB run Troy Brown had a career year and Branch and Givens were rookies. Since then they have been developing into very nice WR's. Good combo of an older vet with the developing young talent. Its just that none of them have put up flashy numbers to really get noticed by the casual fan.

Its going to be interesting to see wheter this turns into a distraction late in the playoff but i doubt it will. If anything it will just hurt Weis' ability to recruit players for ND rather than the Pats.

Cochise
12-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Yeah i definity agree. The spread the ball around offesne has been very successful with the talent around Brady.

By taking that out to its logical extension... I don't think enough can be said about Bill Walsh and how he revolutionized football at the pro level at least...

Miles
12-12-2004, 01:09 AM
By taking that out to its logical extension... I don't think enough can be said about Bill Walsh and how he revolutionized football at the pro level at least...

Yeah you got that right. He definitly developed the offense of utilizing all of the available recievers in the passing game. He did far more to infuence the game than just creating the west coast offense.