PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Chiefs put a sock in Rufus Dawes

tk13
12-12-2004, 04:43 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10396656.htm

Chiefs put a sock in Rufus after he became a distraction

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

The ongoing mystery about the true identity of Rufus Dawes — the pen name for the media critic on the Chiefs' Web site — may never be solved.

But the mystery over why his latest column was pulled off the Web site has been.

“Those of us in the public relations department made the decision to put it down,” reports Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore, “because, frankly, it was becoming too much of a distraction. The whole thing was taking on a life of its own.

“Carl (Peterson) had nothing to do with the decision. I don't think he ever even read it.”

The Dawes column appeared on the Web site last week and was critical of the nature of sports talk shows and some of their callers, implying that sports talk shows fed on negativity and that the “Sports Talk Caller” was basically a vapid individual living vicariously through the lives of others.

Needless to say, the column was not well-received at either of the local 24-hour sports talk stations — WHB and KCSP — whose shows howled for days at the accusations.

And that was enough for Moore and his staff to pull the plug on the column. It not only vanished from the Chiefs' home page, it also was stricken from the archives.

“We did hear from them (WHB and KCSP),” Moore said. “But I wouldn't say we felt pressured into putting the column down. We've done that with other columns in the past, so it's nothing new. To be honest, the calls we personally received about the column … most of the people agreed with the column.”

Then why pull the column?

“We just felt the whole thing was becoming a distraction to the team,” Moore said.

Now for the big question: How did Rufus Dawes himself handle the news that he had been censored?

“We didn't tell him,” Moore said.

And how did the radio stations react to the column being pulled?

“I'm a little surprised they pulled it,” said KCSP program director Neal Jones. “Normally if you write something like that, you just stand by it.

“But I think the column really struck a nerve with the fans. It's one thing to take a shot at us, the talk shows. We're fair game. But the fans are another story.”

Said WHB vice president of sales Sandy Cohen: “I think that once people in the Chiefs organization figured out (the column) was insulting to people in their own fan base, they felt they had to take it down. Those callers are part of their fan base that buys tickets and Chiefs products. I'm sure (the Chiefs) regret putting the column up in the first place.”

Legendary coach Norm Stewart happened to be stuck in standstill traffic Thursday on I-70, and to pass the time he got out of his car and began chatting with another motorist.

One of the stories he told is one we haven't heard, one with origins from about 20 years ago. Stewart apparently was in New York City on vacation with his wife and daughter, to shop and see a Broadway show.

“We come out of the hotel one morning,” Stewart said, “and we run into George Brett. George said, ‘What are you doing here?'

“I explained to him we were going to take in a show and so forth, and then George asked me if I wanted tickets to the game. I said: ‘Look who I'm with! I can't get away for a game.' ”

Should we guess what game he happened to miss? “Yep, that was the Pine Tar game,” Stewart said. “Can you believe that?”

Did you know that Tom Clements, who interviewed for the Notre Dame job, has a Chiefs connection?

Clements played one season in Kansas City, in 1980 when the Chiefs went 8-8. He completed seven of 12 passes for 77 yards.

Die-hard fans also may remember him as the Chiefs' quarterback coach in 2000. That was the year he coached Elvis Grbac to his finest season in the pros. Grbac threw for more than 4,000 yards and went to the Pro Bowl.

Skip Towne
12-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Good article.

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Said WHB vice president of sales Sandy Cohen: “I think that once people in the Chiefs organization figured out (the team on the field) was insulting to people in their own fan base, they felt they had to pack it in. Those callers are part of their fan base that buys tickets and Chiefs products. I'm sure (the Chiefs) regret putting that team on the field in the first place.”
Fixed the quote

fatandslow
12-12-2004, 08:48 AM
of cource there mad ITS THE TRUTH!!!!

TheNextStep
12-12-2004, 09:03 AM
of cource there mad ITS THE TRUTH!!!!
You and your one post probably have no idea just how side-splittingly hilarious this approval of the now-pulled article is.

fatandslow
12-12-2004, 09:10 AM
thank you

Bowser
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Poor Bob Moore. He now has no outlet to publicly bash the very people who support his living.

gblowfish
12-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Bob Moore is a troll. I think Bi-State II was about building him a new cave to live in.

BigChiefFan
12-12-2004, 12:40 PM
They still can't admit it was wrong.