PDA

View Full Version : SNL: WTF was that?

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Man, the Ashlee Simpson waves have struck hard at SNL. WTF was with that Banana Hammock Band [or whatever the fvck they were called] last night?
The first song, I'm like "Oh, it's an Elton John ripoff what thought young Reginald never quite got swishy enough on stage. OK." Then they turn "Comfortably Numb" into a SHITTY DISCO SONG!!!! :cuss:
I can't recall seeing such an amateurish act on national TV in a LOOOONG while, and that's saying a lot.

Bob Dole
12-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Man, the Ashlee Simpson waves have struck hard at SNL. WTF was with that Banana Hammock Band [or whatever the fvck they were called] last night?
The first song, I'm like "Oh, it's an Elton John ripoff what thought young Reginald never quite got swishy enough on stage. OK." Then they turn "Comfortably Numb" into a SHITTY DISCO SONG!!!! :cuss:
I can't recall seeing such an amateurish act on national TV in a LOOOONG while, and that's saying a lot.

You managed to hold out through the second song?

After the lame excuses for skits and about 30 seconds of that crap, Bob Dole wanted to take scissors to his own eyes.

the Talking Can
12-12-2004, 08:04 AM
SNL needs the ol' yeller treatment

Bowser
12-12-2004, 08:41 AM

Nah, just Tina Fey. IIRC, she is the senior/lead writer, and has been for two or three years now. SNL has pretty much sucked for two or three years now.

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Nah, just Tina Fey. IIRC, she is the senior/lead writer, and has been for two or three years now. SNL has pretty much sucked for two or three years now.
I didn't totally hate the skits last night.
I love love LOVE Merv the Perv

'Tis the season to get my jollies
Lala lala la, fah faah feh :p

Deberg_1990
12-12-2004, 09:08 AM
anything with Amy Poehler in it is always a delight....

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 09:12 AM
BTW - the band was actually named Scissor Sisters. Looked on Amazon, and it looks like the stereotypical "most people know it's crap, but a devoted few love it and think everyone else is a neaderthal" band.

Put it this way, the people who love this band celebrate the fact that they 'spruced up' that crappy Pink Floyd song.

Take my word for it. They suck boaws.

Cochise
12-12-2004, 09:16 AM
I wondered where you got 'banana hammocks'. That's funny.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2004, 09:36 AM
BTW - the band was actually named Scissor Sisters. Looked on Amazon, and it looks like the stereotypical "most people know it's crap, but a devoted few love it and think everyone else is a neaderthal" band.

Put it this way, the people who love this band celebrate the fact that they 'spruced up' that crappy Pink Floyd song.

I actually thought the 1st song was pretty decent. I didnt catch the Floyd remake. At first I thought WTF is this crap? But then i sort of got into the Glam rock throwback tribute.

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2004, 09:51 AM

The odd thing is that her Weekend Update is the only thing on the show that's been remotely funny.

stumppy
12-12-2004, 09:55 AM

It needed that after Belushi,Ackroyd,Morris,Neman, etc. left.
It just has never been as good.

Marcellus
12-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I have to say the band was just visually disturbing. I fortunately missed the Floyd song.

I do have to say the Lower Back Tatto skit was hillareous.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Since Ferrell left it has gone to shit.

Rain Man
12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
The odd thing is that her Weekend Update is the only thing on the show that's been remotely funny.

Yeah, I like Weekend Update.

That said, I've only seen SNL maybe once or twice this year. It's dropped off my TV radar.

Uncle_Ted
12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
It needed that after Belushi,Ackroyd,Morris,Neman, etc. left.
It just has never been as good.

It might not have been as good, but certainly didn't deserve to be "put down" that early. There was a few pretty bad seasons (pre Will Ferrell) but it did recover pretty nicely for a few years.

Think of all the awesome SNL material pumped out by Chris Farley, Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers + Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Will Ferrell, Christopher Walken, Dennis Miller, etc. Even the second tier was pretty funny -- Norm MacDonald, Chris Rock (I'm only talking SNL here, he's funnier post-SNL IMO), Joe Piscopo, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Sting, and lots of others I can't think of right now.

I'm definitely glad that SNL stuck around long after its glory days, even though I don't watch it anymore.

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2004, 10:58 AM

Exactly. He was the Eddie Murphy, so to speak, who really carried the show in the late 90's through 2001.

Iowanian
12-12-2004, 11:01 AM
It was sucky enough to make me switch over and watch "Mystic River" for a pick me up.

Frankie
12-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Oh, the good old days of Leon Redbone on SNL.... Those were the days.

Frankie
12-12-2004, 11:49 AM
The female cast is pretty talented though.

NewChief
12-12-2004, 12:17 PM

I didn't watch SNL, but I did hear an interview with one of the dudes from Scissor Sisters the other day on NPR. I'd never heard of the band prior to that interview. Evidently they're a campy disco number very popular in the English gay scene. If it's any indication, the guy being interviewed expressed frustration that most of their positive review writers start their reviews off with, "They're so fabulously GAY!"

LTownChief
12-12-2004, 01:57 PM

I was about to agree with you, but then you said that comfortable numb is a crappy Pink Floyd song.......... :shake:

FloridaChief
12-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I first heard the Scissor Sisters cover of CN a couple months ago. I literally almost threw up.

Disgusting.

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I was about to agree with you, but then you said that comfortable numb is a crappy Pink Floyd song.......... :shake:
No, I'm saying the people who liked this band liked them because they 'spruced up' a crappy Floyd song. I was explaining their mindset, not offering my opinion, which is that Comfortably Numb is among the best songs of one of the greatest bands ever.

Frankie
12-12-2004, 04:12 PM
The female cast is pretty talented though.

Except I don't think the all-female "Weekend Update" works.
:shake:

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Except I don't think the all-female "Weekend Update" works.

Yeah, same-gender pairings at newsdesks always seem kinda weird.

ENDelt260
12-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Screw SNL. I was watching boxing.

At the titty bar.

God bless America.

Rausch
12-12-2004, 06:53 PM
The last SNL I can remember watching live was when NY had that huge snowstorm and Christopher Walken was guest star (had one of the best bits that year with that "smooth talker in a robe" character.)

Rausch
12-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Screw SNL. I was watching boxing.

At the titty bar.

God bless America.

No spoilers. It should be on HBO next saturday (for us tightwads.)

ENDelt260
12-12-2004, 08:08 PM
The last SNL I can remember watching live was when NY had that huge snowstorm and Christopher Walken was guest star (had one of the best bits that year with that "smooth talker in a robe" character.)
The Continental sucks.

Bad.

Rausch
12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
The Continental sucks.

Bad.

Contrarian mother****er... :shake:

ENDelt260
12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
No spoilers. It should be on HBO next saturday (for us tightwads.)
It was well worth the $10 cover.

And, as a bonus, I found out about a cool titty bar. I mean, I'd heard of it before... but, never gone. With so many so close to home, I never had a reason to drive into Phoenix before. I was expecting it to be kind of a shithole, but it was actually really nice.

Rausch
12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
It was well worth the $10 cover.

And, as a bonus, I found out about a cool titty bar. I mean, I'd heard of it before... but, never gone. With so many so close to home, I never had a reason to drive into Phoenix before. I was expecting it to be kind of a shithole, but it was actually really nice.

Oh yeah? You and Tyson tear the town up, did'ja?

ENDelt260
12-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah? You and Tyson tear the town up, did'ja?
Funnily enough I was at the titty bar he got arrested at a couple years ago. The Hi Liter is the name.

Tyson didn't make an appearance last night, tho. I'm okay with that personally.

patteeu
12-13-2004, 06:37 AM
I saw their second song on SNL the other night and didn't even recognize it as Comfortably Numb. I turned the TV on in the middle of the song and at first I thought it was a skit rather than the musical performance. It was like a horrible Bee Gees ripoff and until this thread I had no idea it was a Pink Floyd cover. Wow.

I just downloaded their Take Your Mama Out song (apparently the first one they played on SNL) to see how bad it was and I was surprised that I kind of like it. Not bad for gay disco.

My favorite comment from a reviewer on Amazon: "If you like the Bee Gee's you won't like this CD. If you don't like the Bee Gee's you won't like this CD."

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 06:41 AM
I just downloaded their Take Your Mama Out song (apparently the first one they played on SNL) to see how bad it was and I was surprised that I kind of like it. Not bad for gay disco.

It's not all 'ear-piercingly' bad, it's more 'spent the last 20 years performing covers at Bar Mitzvahs in Deluth, MN' bad.

patteeu
12-13-2004, 12:17 PM
It's not all 'ear-piercingly' bad, it's more 'spent the last 20 years performing covers at Bar Mitzvahs in Deluth, MN' bad.

ROFL

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 12:50 PM

Succinct, accurate... I like it :)

The departures of Molly Shannon and Will Ferrel = SNL suckage.

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 12:56 PM

I do like Armisen's offbeat humor, when he's doing something he made up himself like the Latin comic [Aye! Dios Meo!!!!], or the Native American standup, or that frikken parrot. But he doesn't grab the spotlight in standard stuff.

Brock
12-13-2004, 12:57 PM
The last time I watched, Pearl Jam was the musical guest. ROFL

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 12:58 PM
They seem to miss A LOT more than they 'hit' these days. Example = "The Falconer". The premise is there... it <i>could</i> be really funny, but the execution sucks.

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 01:00 PM
IMO there are a few genuinely funny people left on SNL: Rachel Dratch, Darrell Hammond, and Maya Rudolph. The rest... eh.

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 01:05 PM
I knew there was a skit that was funny in this ep. Did anyone else get a chuckle out of the key party?

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Popcorn!

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I just remembered the bit on this past SNL that made me lol: Brett Hull's comment on Canada's parliament allowing gay marring - "Well, that's what happens when there's no hockey in Canada" ROFL

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:15 PM

I totally disagree with that... I think she's about the best thing SNL has going for it. Losing Jimmy Fallon was a blow. Same with Will Ferrell.

They had a good crew going for awhile, but lately, they've been hurtin'.

Amy Poehller is terrible on Weekend Update. She doesn't have the personality for that kind of comedy.

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:17 PM

The Continental... :D

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:17 PM
The Continental sucks.

Bad.

SCAHREW THAT!

I think that bit is awesome. Christopher Walken is definitely my favorite SNL guest host...

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:19 PM

I'd add Cheri Oteri to that list... But I pretty much agree...

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
IMO there are a few genuinely funny people left on SNL: Rachel Dratch, Darrell Hammond, and Maya Rudolph. The rest... eh.

And to close out my serial posting...

I think that Will Forte' is a comic genious... That dude does the most off the wall comedy. He's the Andy Kaufmann of the current age, IMO.

There, I'm caught up...

/serial posting off.

ENDelt260
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
The Continental discussion has come up on here before... I don't recall if anyone ever agreed with me. But, I knew there were folks on here that liked it... so, I had to remind y'all that you're classless and deranged.

Er, I mean you have no taste. Or something.

Seriously... that skit blows. Am I just not eating enough mushrooms before it or something?

RedandGold
12-13-2004, 04:23 PM

I couldn't stand Molly Shannon, so I was glad when she finally left. Very little range, and what range she had was annoying.

The loss of Will Ferrell really left a mark though.

Rausch
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
The Continental discussion has come up on here before... I don't recall if anyone ever agreed with me. But, I knew there were folks on here that liked it... so, I had to remind y'all that you're classless and deranged.

Er, I mean you have no taste. Or something.

Seriously... that skit blows. Am I just not eating enough mushrooms before it or something?

That's how I felt about the cowbell skit. I was pretty much alone one on hating that one...

ENDelt260
12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
That's how I felt about the cowbell skit. I was pretty much alone one on hating that one...
Whoa man... I think you can get banned for saying some shit like that.

Taco John
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM

I've reported this post to the mods. Hopefully someone will be by to clean up this ugliness...

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Why hasn't Ruasch signed the official Chiefsplanet cowbell skit fealty oath?

Bob Dole
12-13-2004, 04:38 PM

Bob Dole recently discovered that a drumstick and an empty Bud bottle do a fair job of approximating the cowbell sound and effectively annoys the shit out of everyone (including the band that is performing).

Taco John
Is it safe to come out? Has he been put on universal ignore yet? ;)

ENDelt260
Bob Dole recently discovered that a drumstick and an empty Bud bottle do a fair job of approximating the cowbell sound and effectively annoys the shit out of everyone (including the band that is performing).
Awesome.