PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning vs the Sandy Eggo Chargers

Ugly Duck
12-13-2004, 02:27 AM
So... after all that "My Son is too good to play for your team" stuff, wuddya think the Chargers are saying now? Eli was like 4 of 6 today, but two of those were INT's. Its looking like the Bolts may have inadvertantly dodged another "Cryin Ryan" bullet, eh?

el borracho
12-13-2004, 02:29 AM
All-seeing, all-knowing Magic 8 ball says "Ask later"

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:29 AM
The way Eli's been throwing up all over himself I doubt he'd have beaten out Mole-Boy anyway...

tk13
12-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Well I think it's funny that the Giants are flopping in a weak conference and Eli's not helping them, but the Chargers still have decisions to make concerning Rivers and Brees. I don't know if there is a right answer...

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:33 AM
Well I think it's funny that the Giants are flopping in a weak conference and Eli's not helping them, but the Chargers still have decisions to make concerning Rivers and Brees. I don't know if there is a right answer...

Well, if there's one guy you can trust to fuel a QB controversy, it's Marty...

el borracho
12-13-2004, 02:33 AM
They should probably transition tag Brees so they receive some kind of pick for him if they have to let him go.

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:36 AM
They should probably transition tag Brees so they receive some kind of pick for him if they have to let him go.

From what the commentators where spouting during the game today they plan on keeping both of them, due to being like 20 gazillion under the cap. The players seem to think Ewe Breeze will be back and starting next year...

el borracho
12-13-2004, 02:40 AM
From what the commentators where spouting during the game today they plan on keeping both of them, due to being like 20 gazillion under the cap. The players seem to think Ewe Breeze will be back and starting next year...
Well, that is the best option if possible. I wish we were in San Diego's situation; division leader this year, an extra pick in the first round this offseason, and elenty billion in cap room next year. Must be nice.

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Well, that is the best option if possible. I wish we were in San Diego's situation; division leader this year, an extra pick in the first round this offseason, and elenty billion in cap room next year. Must be nice.

They're still the Chagahs...Let's not start jerking them off just yet...

Ugly Duck
12-13-2004, 02:42 AM
they plan on keeping both of them, due to being like 20 gazillion under the cap....
20 gazillion under and sitting on a pile-o-picks from the Manning deal. The NY Football Giants are going to hand them a nice mid-round #1 and I forgot what other ransom they have coming. Pile-o-picks, the division crown, pile-o-money.... Sandy Eggo's sitting pretty. Trading Eli looks like a blessing in disguise.

Ugly Duck
12-13-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, that is the best option if possible. I wish we were in San Diego's situation; division leader this year, an extra pick in the first round this offseason, and elenty billion in cap room next year. Must be nice.Oh.... what he said!

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:49 AM
20 gazillion under and sitting on a pile-o-picks from the Manning deal. The NY Football Giants are going to hand them a nice mid-round #1 and I forgot what other ransom they have coming. Pile-o-picks, the division crown, pile-o-money.... Sandy Eggo's sitting pretty. Trading Eli looks like a blessing in disguise.

No doubt. But I don't know if one good year by Brees means he's now a good QB. Hell, I'd put better odds on K. Collins comming out of his funk and having just as good a year next year. If the Fade take a RB 1st round this year or sign a LEGIT HB, they could be next year's Chahgahs...

But then, so could KC with a CB and an ILB...This division is much closer together as far as talent than this year's records indicate...

tk13
12-13-2004, 02:49 AM
True, but they had to suck pretty badly to get themselves in that situation.... sure looks good now though.

Rausch
12-13-2004, 02:50 AM
True, but they had to suck pretty badly to get themselves in that situation.... .

Well then, we're half way there! :thumb:

tk13
12-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Well then, we're half way there! :thumb:
We'd need to lose out to achieve their level of suckage last year, and in reality even that wouldn't get us the #1 pick like it did them. Most years 6-10 gets you a nice top 10 pick, seems like this year it might stick us middle of the pack in the 1st round. Parity my ass... :)

jspchief
12-13-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm looking forward to the New York media crucifying Eli as he continues to suck. If he thought it was gonna suck to play for the Chargers, wait till he sees what it's like to play poorly in New York.

As far as the Chargers keeping Brees, they're in a lose/lose situation. If Brees plays well, then they're paying out the ass for a back-up. Meanwhile Brees has the threat of getting benched anytime he has a bad game (which happens to all QBs occasionally). It's going to be a nightmare if brees doesn't play lights out next year. If I'm the Chargers, I let Brees go.

Coach
12-13-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm looking forward to the New York media crucifying Eli as he continues to suck. If he thought it was gonna suck to play for the Chargers, wait till he sees what it's like to play poorly in New York.

As far as the Chargers keeping Brees, they're in a lose/lose situation. If Brees plays well, then they're paying out the ass for a back-up. Meanwhile Brees has the threat of getting benched anytime he has a bad game (which happens to all QBs occasionally). It's going to be a nightmare if brees doesn't play lights out next year. If I'm the Chargers, I let Brees go.

You think SD will at least consider putting a franchise tag on him? I probably would since I would like to at least get something back if I am going to lose him.

Of course, on the other hand, what will happen to SD's team chemistry if Brees leaves? Obviously it will change if Rivers happens to take over at the helm. The question is, will it stay the same, or will it affect them to have a "back-step" season next year?

the Talking Can
12-13-2004, 09:03 AM
so Rivers = LJ?

jspchief
12-13-2004, 09:09 AM
You think SD will at least consider putting a franchise tag on him? I probably would since I would like to at least get something back if I am going to lose him.

Of course, on the other hand, what will happen to SD's team chemistry if Brees leaves? Obviously it will change if Rivers happens to take over at the helm. The question is, will it stay the same, or will it affect them to have a "back-step" season next year?

I doubt they'll use the franchise tag. That would mean they would have to pay him the average of the top 5 QBs in the league...that's a lot of dough for a one year wonder. It's a front office nightmare. They made the decision to give up on Brees when they drafted Rivers. That's a hard decision to reverse. I think it's going to make for a mess next year regardless of how they handle it.

Coach
12-13-2004, 09:15 AM
I doubt they'll use the franchise tag. That would mean they would have to pay him the average of the top 5 QBs in the league...that's a lot of dough for a one year wonder. It's a front office nightmare. They made the decision to give up on Brees when they drafted Rivers. That's a hard decision to reverse. I think it's going to make for a mess next year regardless of how they handle it.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if Brees is a UFA or a RFA. But then, they could try to at least sign Brees for a 1 yr contract to see if that it was really either a sign or a fluke. Of course, they could do something like a sign and trade deal. I mean, there are some teams that are in serious need of a QB (SF, Miami, etc) so who knows? IIRC, on the Heismen trophy where Leinhart won it, he said something to the effect that he will be playing for USC next year (5th year eligibility granted to him) but I can't quite recall that. If that is true that he is playing for USC next year, then that's 1 QB gone already for either SF or Miami.

Chris Meck
12-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I think the emergence of Brees has more to do with improved offensive line play, the development of a fine TE, and finally a dependable WR.

It's the surrounding cast.

In the past, all he had was Tomlinson; which would be like Trent Green having a crap OL, no Gonzales, and only Priest to try and win with.

Ditching Brees now would be a HUGE mistake. I'd trade Rivers for whatever I could get for him before I'd trade Brees. This isn't a one year wonder-it's a younger player who's ascending now that he's finally got a decent supporting cast. You don't throw that away for "potential".

Chris

ChiefsCountry
12-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Well, if there's one guy you can trust to fuel a QB controversy, it's Marty...

1998 Playoffs vs. Broncos. Nuff said. Marty will pick Rivers to lead the Chargers through the playoffs.

el borracho
12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
They're still the Chagahs...Let's not start jerking them off just yet...
Is Bobby Beathard still the GM over there? I know that we complain about Carl's drafts but Beathard was far worse. He routinely screwed the team by trading future picks (including first round picks) to move up a few slots in round 2 and draft projects. Mikael Ricks is one example, off the top of my head.

In any case, I would like to be in the Chargers situation (leading the division, extra picks coming to me, tons of cap room) without actually having to be a Charger fan.

el borracho
12-13-2004, 11:40 AM
so Rivers = LJ?
Not exactly. QBs expect to sit and learn. Running backs expect to play immediately.

Always Charger
12-13-2004, 01:30 PM
eli sucks

Chiefnj
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
For only 54 million dollars, you too can have a QB completing 38% of his passes and a TD to INT ratio of 1:6.