PDA

View Full Version : Who were the hardest-hitting Chiefs defenders ever?

Rain Man
12-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Poll coming. I'm listing every all-pro I can remember, and probably missed some folks. I'm not listing any special teamers due to space restrictions, so feel free to offer them up as well. Darn this limit on poll sizes.

big nasty kcnut
12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
The man derrick thomas. Special kudos to percy snow

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Bennie Thompson
Kevin Ross

Iowanian
Bennie "i'll piss on your corpse" Thompson.

Cochise
Kevin Ross?

Logical
Willie Lanier no one else is even close.

Brock
12-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Deron Cherry was not just close, he was probably better.

Rain Man
12-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I picked Lanier, Barbaro, and Ross, in that order. I have to agree with Vlad that Willie is a runaway winner. Barbaro is a pretty strong second.

ck_IN
12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Lanier was before me so I'd go with Dino Hackett. The man was one of the best parts of a very bad team and a pure headhunter.

Logical
12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
I find it funny that Derrick Thomas is getting votes. DT was tremendous at the sack and strip but was IMO not a monster tackler at all. In fact as a linebacker he was barely more than adequate if you take away his pass rushing skills.

Tribal Warfare
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Willie Lanier hands down

DanT
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
I picked Lanier, but I have to say, I saw Kevin Ross jack some people up!!!!

go bowe
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
this poll is slanted towards the more recent players because there are so few old enough to remember the great defenders during the glory years...

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Bennie Thompson
Kevin Ross
MoF, this poll is worthless without an entry for Thompson.
He has three or four of the hardest seven or eight hits I can recall in my history of watching the Chiefs [ie, every minute since 1987, until last week].

go bowe
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
so little love for sherrill headrick?

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Deron Cherry was the man!!!! He and Ronnie Lott were my idols (I played Strong Safety) ;)

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Willie Lanier no one else is even close.
Yep, one of his nicknames was "Contact".

Logical
12-13-2004, 04:00 PM
this poll is slanted towards the more recent players because there are so few old enough to remember the great defenders during the glory years...Suprisingly not so far.:thumb:

Rain Man
12-13-2004, 04:06 PM
For you Bennie Thompson fans, please know that it pained me to take him off, as well as Danan Hughes and Todd McNair, two other awesome headhunters on special teams. I didn't have room to list everyone I wanted, so I just set a rule of only listing pro bowlers. It's flawed, certainly, but without rules, where would we all be?

Rain Man
12-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Deron Cherry is one of my favorite players of all time, but I'm a bit surprised at the support for him in this poll. I always viewed him as more of a finesse, ball-hawk kind of safety rather than a hammer.

JohnnyV13
12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Well...also perceptions are slanted to DBs and LBs, b/c D linemen rarely get to run at ball carriers and clobber them with momentum.

I voted Willie Lanier, James Hasty and Buck Buchanan. Willie Lanier is the clear all time hitting Chief. That guy was an assasin in the middle. No one from his era wanted to mess with him. Deron Cherry was a VERY smart player that we could use deperately today, but he was not a big hitter. Barbaro was a much bigger hitter, but not as good a player.

Ross loved to hit, but was simply too small to be a real force. Dino Hackett and Gary Spani deserve some mention, b/c both were good players who could lay the wood.

HC_Chief
12-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Deron Cherry is one of my favorite players of all time, but I'm a bit surprised at the support for him in this poll. I always viewed him as more of a finesse, ball-hawk kind of safety rather than a hammer.

First play back from a long injury, Deron Cherry met Bo Jackson head-on. He hit Jackson so hard the ball shot straight out of Bo's hands at least 10 feet in the air. It was an awesome sight to behold.

tyton75
12-13-2004, 04:48 PM
I can't believe that a guy nicknamed "the hammer" isnt' getting any love on the board.. I'm not even old enough to remember watching him play, but Fred Williamson needs some respect here!

BigRedChief
12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Mark me down old school : Willie Lanier

Rausch
12-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson

Digital Takawira
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
I can't believe that a guy nicknamed "the hammer" isnt' getting any love on the board.. I'm not even old enough to remember watching him play, but Fred Williamson needs some respect here!

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/starsky___hutch/fred_williamson/hutchpre6.jpg

seriously. can you step to that?

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 05:33 PM
For you Bennie Thompson fans, please know that it pained me to take him off, as well as Danan Hughes and Todd McNair, two other awesome headhunters on special teams. I didn't have room to list everyone I wanted, so I just set a rule of only listing pro bowlers. It's flawed, certainly, but without rules, where would we all be?
My bad, I read the thread header and thought the poll was about "the hardest-hitting Chiefs defenders ever."

Rain Man
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
My bad, I read the thread header and thought the poll was about "the hardest-hitting Chiefs defenders ever."

Well, now you're just being disigerent.

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, now you're just being disigerent.
Sorry, I'm just a little out of sorts. I was just microwaving my dinner, and now I'm getting these sharp pains in my lower back.

gblowfish
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Top 3: Kevin Ross: Pound for pound, the hardest hitter ever in the Chiefs secondary. That's how he made his reputation, he was short, but hit like a truck. Literally killed people on run support or guys going across the middle. If he didn't hit like a short left hook, he never would have stuck in the NFL.

#2: Bobby Bell: First outside linebacker ever inducted in the NFL. Think about that for a minute. Lightning fast, strong, smart. He also played on the special teams his whole career, and long snapped on punts and field goals. Can you imagine a star linebacker now (like Ray Lewis, for example) playing on special teams his whole career?

#1: Has to be Willie Lanier. No contest. The guy's nickname was "contact." When he was a rookie he kept getting in trouble for killing other Chiefs offensive linemen and running backs in practice. He hit so hard they had to outfit him with a padded helmet...had a big piece of rubber down the center, like the tread on a tire painted red. The helmet is in Canton in the Chiefs team display. In his era the most feared linebackers were Butkus, Lanier and Ray Nitschke. Pretty good company.

gblowfish
12-13-2004, 06:05 PM
I can't believe that a guy nicknamed "the hammer" isnt' getting any love on the board.. I'm not even old enough to remember watching him play, but Fred Williamson needs some respect here!"The Hammer" was alot like Mighty Mouth McMillian. Yeah, he knocked some guys out with a cheap forearm shot in the head to lots of receivers. But then he got his own ass knocked out in Super Bowl I. Kinda tarnished his reputation...like Tyson getting punked by Buster Douglas.

ROYC75
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Top 3: Kevin Ross: Pound for pound, the hardest hitter ever in the Chiefs secondary. That's how he made his reputation, he was short, but hit like a truck. Literally killed people on run support or guys going across the middle. If he didn't hit like a short left hook, he never would have stuck in the NFL.

#2: Bobby Bell: First outside linebacker ever inducted in the NFL. Think about that for a minute. Lightning fast, strong, smart. He also played on the special teams his whole career, and long snapped on punts and field goals. Can you imagine a star linebacker now (like Ray Lewis, for example) playing on special teams his whole career?

#1: Has to be Willie Lanier. No contest. The guy's nickname was "contact." When he was a rookie he kept getting in trouble for killing other Chiefs offensive linemen and running backs in practice. He hit so hard they had to outfit him with a padded helmet...had a big piece of rubber down the center, like the tread on a tire painted red. The helmet is in Canton in the Chiefs team display. In his era the most feared linebackers were Butkus, Lanier and Ray Nitschke. Pretty good company.

DITTO
DITTO
DITTO

End od discussions.

Frankie
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
The man derrick thomas. Special kudos to percy snow
While DT was arguably the most efficient Chiefs hitter (mostly of QBs) Willie Lanier was the hardest hitter. He sent a few players to the sideline and beyond in his time. I also LOVED his Alpha-Gorilla helmet. In the center of the D, that thing made him aptly look like the general of the defense. Simply awesome.

Also, did we ever witness any heavy hitting by Percy Snow?:shrug: I don't recall any.

Mr. Kotter
12-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Anyone remember Dino Hacket???

I remember thinkin', "man, he can hit." He and Gary Spani. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Lanier was before me so I'd go with Dino Hackett. The man was one of the best parts of a very bad team and a pure headhunter.

I missed this one....some else remember Hackett. :)

Mr. Kotter
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Anyone for Kawika Mitchell? :hmmm:

:banghead:

:cuss:

Deberg_1990
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Wheres the love for my boy Eric Hicks??

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
First play back from a long injury, Deron Cherry met Bo Jackson head-on. He hit Jackson so hard the ball shot straight out of Bo's hands at least 10 feet in the air. It was an awesome sight to behold.
I was at that game. Actually Cherry hit the ball with his helmet. Bo gained 2 yards that day and left early with an injury.

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Williamson was a fraud. He got knocked out cold in the Super Bowl. Had to be carried off the field.

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Bell was also our emergency QB. He was a QB in high school. There were also stories circulating about Lanier kept splitting his helmets and they had to keep several spares.

redsurfer11
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I now have out aged this board. Not a single fan here remembers Jim Kearney. I will never forget him shattering Haven Moses's facemask, back then it was legal to lead with the crown of the helmet. Kearney leveled players all over the field. I still have a photo of him removing the helmet from Larry Czonka.

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 07:00 PM
I missed this one....some else remember Hackett. :)
Yeah, I remember Hackett. He was in the back of that pickup with a shotgun when Del Rio threw Otis Taylor down. I was glad to see him go.

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
I now have out aged this board. Not a single fan here remembers Jim Kearney. I will never forget him shattering Haven Moses's facemask, back then it was legal to lead with the crown of the helmet. Kearney leveled players all over the field. I still have a photo of him removing the helmet from Larry Czonka.
You would have to be older than 59 to outage me. I remember Kearney but don't remember the devastating hits.

Logical
12-13-2004, 07:05 PM
I now have out aged this board. Not a single fan here remembers Jim Kearney. I will never forget him shattering Haven Moses's facemask, back then it was legal to lead with the crown of the helmet. Kearney leveled players all over the field. I still have a photo of him removing the helmet from Larry Czonka.I definitely remember him, but I am not sure he met Rain Man's qualifier of a Pro Bowl player (All Star back in the day).

BigRedChief
12-13-2004, 07:40 PM

We need more cow bell. :thumb:

milkman
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
This is the easiest poll ever.
Willie Lanier, hands down.

Bobby Bell is a distant 2nd.

Fat Elvis
12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
What? No Ryan Sims?