PDA

View Full Version : Peterson will die

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
Updated: 4:56 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2004REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -

The jury that found Scott Peterson guilty of murdering his wife and unborn son decided Monday that the former fertilizer salesman should die for his crimes.

Peterson, 32, showed no visible reaction as the sentence recommendation was read.

The six-man, six-woman jury reached its unanimous decision on its third day of deliberations, having spent about 11Ĺ hours considering whether to recommend the death penalty or life in prison Ė the only two options available to them after finding Peterson guilty of killing his 27-year-old wife, Laci, and her fetus on or around Christmas Eve 2002.

Their bodies were recovered almost five months later on the shore of the San Francisco Bay, near the spot where Scott Peterson said he was fishing alone on the day his wife vanished.

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi will formally sentence Peterson, 32, on Feb. 25. He has the option of overriding the juryís recommendation, though that would be highly unusual.

The verdict came hours after the jurors asked to review 13 pieces of evidence presented during the trial, including autopsy photos, aerial photos of the area where the bodies were recovered and a photo of a smiling Laci Peterson sitting in a chair taken just 10 days before her disappearance.

Peterson was convicted on Nov. 12 of first-degree murder for killing his wife and second-degree murder for the death of his unborn son, whom the couple planned to name Connor.

Defense attorneys called 39 witnesses over seven days in the penalty phase of Petersonís double-murder trial. Prosecutors called just four of Laciís family members, all on the first day, Nov. 30.

Automatic appeals
Peterson still has multiple chances to avoid execution.

He will sit on death row for more than five years before being appointed an attorney for his first and mandatory appeal to the California Supreme Court.

After exhausting his state appeals, Peterson's case would move to the federal courts, usually with a new appellate attorney. His case would go to district court and then to the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which has overturned more California death sentences than it has allowed.

Peterson maintained that he left his wife at their Modesto home around 9:30 a.m. on the morning of her disappearance, setting out on an impromptu fishing trip. When he returned around 5 p.m., his wife was gone and the couple's dog was in the backyard wearing a muddy leash, he told police.

Bwana
12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Awww, I thought you had made a Carl Peterson VOO-DOO doll before opening the thread.

ENDelt260
C'mon, the LJ pick wasn't THAT bad.

Donger
Peterson will die

I doubt it. And, if he eventually is executed, it will probably be 10+ years from now.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I doubt it. And, if he eventually is executed, it will probably be 10+ years from now.
well that's probably true.

Cochise
Beer me will forget to look for applicable threads before creating a new one

Dr. Facebook Fever
Awww, I thought you had made a Carl Peterson VOO-DOO doll before opening the thread.
ROFL

MUCH better thread idea!

ArrowheadHawk
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
I doubt it. And, if he eventually is executed, it will probably be 10+ years from now.you have to give him time to appeal....you cant just put him on the chopping block after sentancing that would be unamerican

Dr. Facebook Fever
Beer me will forget to look for applicable threads before creating a new one
All I saw was a prediction thread. Bite me.

ChiefsOne
Inject him immediately....don't waste money feeding him and keeping him locked up.

Donger
12-13-2004, 03:05 PM
you have to give him time to appeal....you cant just put him on the chopping block after sentancing that would be unamerican

Of course.

But FIVE years? Why?

Also, the judge can still give him life.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Also, the judge can still give him life.
And then the judge will die.....

Cochise
12-13-2004, 03:10 PM
And then the judge will die.....

With keen political analysis like this, who needs the news story anyway?

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
With keen political analysis like this, who needs the news story anyway?
So, who pissed on your cheerios today bitch?

Logical
12-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Anybody else open this thread thinking about Carl?

Logical
12-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Awww, I thought you had made a Carl Peterson VOO-DOO doll before opening the thread.Well I see the answer was yes.:thumb:

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 03:16 PM
you have to give him time to appeal....you cant just put him on the chopping block after sentancing that would be unamerican
It hasn't always been that way. In the 1950's, Bonny Heady and Carl Hall were caught, tried, convicted and executed within 6 months of the Greenlease kidnapping and murder. It happened in KC.

Cochise
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
So, who pissed on your cheerios today bitch?

I'm actually in a very good mood today. Not even that sort of tripe can annoy me.

ILChief
12-13-2004, 03:48 PM

I did

JazzzLovr
12-13-2004, 03:49 PM

Darn it, you stole my joke. I hate it when work interferes with posting on the Planet. :D

stumppy
12-13-2004, 03:52 PM

Me too, I thought Carl had came down with Cancer or something.

Cochise
12-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Darn it, you stole my joke. I hate it when work interferes with posting on the Planet. :D

Come on, we all know that no one here is working.