PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 10, Cuffed for Scissors in School

LiL stumppy
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
From Yahoo
Girl, 10, Cuffed for Scissors in School

Sat Dec 11, 4:03 PM ET U.S. National - AP

PHILADELPHIA - A 10-year-old girl was placed in handcuffs and taken to a police station because she took a pair of scissors to her elementary school.

School district officials said the fourth-grade student did not threaten anyone with the 8-inch shears, but violated a rule that considers scissors to be potential weapons.

Administrators said they were following state law when they called police Thursday, and police said they were following department rules when they handcuffed Porsche Brown and took her away in a patrol wagon.

"My daughter cried and cried," said her mother, Rose Jackson. "She had no idea what she did was wrong. I think that was way too harsh."

Police officers decided the girl hadn't committed a crime and let her go.

However, school officials suspended her for five days. Administrators will decide at a hearing whether she may return to class, or be expelled to a special disciplinary school.

The scissors were discovered while students' belongings were being searched for property missing from a teacher's desk.

School district officials have promised a crackdown on unruly students this year, and new policies give administrators the power to expel students for infractions as minor as violating the dress code, chronic tardiness or habitual swearing.

Administrators say the steps are needed to regain control over a notoriously unruly school system, but some parents have complained that discipline has been overly harsh and that school officials have been too quick to call police about minor problems.

Hope this hasn't been posted.But thats kind of retarded. :rolleyes:

Pitt Gorilla
12-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey, she's a potential terrorist.

Bowser
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Someone's ass needs to be kicked over that stupid shit. Livid isn't a good enough word to describe how I would feel if that were my daughter.

Ultra Peanut
12-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Maaaaaaaaajor neg rep to those ****ers.

Duck Dog
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm surprised they didn't use a stun gun on her.

NaptownChief
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the little bitch had it coming.

Demonpenz
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
i thought she scissor kicked angela landsburry

LTownChief
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
teachers like that are a big problem IMO. school teachers are some of the worst people in this society also IMO (some, the bad ones, which is not most, but they are in every school). They screw these kids up, they drop out and become worthless human beings, sure there's more to it than the bad teachers (parents, peers, friends). But a little girl like that bringing scissors to school, what kind of teacher would call the police over that?? seriously.

BigVE
12-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Nice. Put the poor girl thru the "cuffing and stuffing" and embarass her in front of her classmates over a pair of old scissors from home...bet they didnt find the little thief in the class whom they were originally looking for. Lets see, I believe the "proper" scissors are the 3 inch "safety" scissors with no sharp points depending on each districts rules. A 10yr old most likely wouldnt have a clue what that really meant and if she NEEDED scissors for school she probably just brougth some from home. I would like to think that this wouldnt/couldnt happen in the smaller schools around here in central Ks. Heck, the redneck boys were still driving to school in pickups with guns in the back window until just a few years ago.

Demonpenz
12-13-2004, 06:40 PM
teachers like that are a big problem IMO. school teachers are some of the worst people in this society also IMO (some, the bad ones, which is not most, but they are in every school). They screw these kids up, they drop out and become worthless human beings, sure there's more to it than the bad teachers (parents, peers, friends). But a little girl like that bringing scissors to school, what kind of teacher would call the police over that?? seriously.

Well i am sure your a teacher and you know first hand. Most teachers I know are pursuing different careers with better pay :Rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
12-13-2004, 06:43 PM
teachers like that are a big problem IMO. school teachers are some of the worst people in this society also IMOYeah. Just look at SDChiefsfan.

beavis
12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
I'd give her 30 days in county for this infraction.

BigVE
12-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Wow, what a comment. We dont know how this came about, in some schools they have security officers who would have been conducting the search for the item missing from the teachers desk. It sounds like this school has some issues...its in Philly so Im guessing its a larger school. NOW, the comment about certain bad teachers messing up kids may be a subject for a NEW thread but it CANT apply here unless we have the facts man.

Jenson71
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Yeah. Just look at SDChiefsfan.

That's gold mang.

ChiefsFire
12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
nipit in the bud i say

whats next??
bringing a protractor school???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bogie
12-13-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm sure we don't have the whole story, but, if that was my daughter... wow! They'd be pulling me off of teachers and police officers.

Pants
12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
F*ckin Nazis.

(-- from The Big Lebowski)

mcan
12-13-2004, 07:24 PM
If I lived in Philidelphia, I would be VERY upset about how my child's education was postponed for a day while they called the cops for this stupid crap. If I were a cop, I would be pissed that my time was wasted. If I were a tax payer in that state I would be VERY upset that I payed the guys to drive over there and arrest a 10 year old for NOTHING! If I were a parent I would have a lawyer on the phone immediately. It's not like a 10 year old doesn't have civil rights, and this is most definately a gross impingment on her rights... I would be suing the school, the teacher, the district, and the police that arrested her!

bogie
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
If I lived in Philidelphia, I would be VERY upset about how my child's education was postponed for a day while they called the cops for this stupid crap. If I were a cop, I would be pissed that my time was wasted. If I were a tax payer in that state I would be VERY upset that I payed the guys to drive over there and arrest a 10 year old for NOTHING! If I were a parent I would have a lawyer on the phone immediately. It's not like a 10 year old doesn't have civil rights, and this is most definately a gross impingment on her rights... I would be suing the school, the teacher, the district, and the police that arrested her!

What he said
:thumb:

LTownChief
12-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Wow, what a comment. We dont know how this came about, in some schools they have security officers who would have been conducting the search for the item missing from the teachers desk. It sounds like this school has some issues...its in Philly so Im guessing its a larger school. NOW, the comment about certain bad teachers messing up kids may be a subject for a NEW thread but it CANT apply here unless we have the facts man.

I just think that some teachers get off on the authority they have over the kids. the power to ruin their lives, the power to send them to the office. if this girl gets expelled, it may not ruin her life, but it sure will have an impact. I just cant understand the thought process of sending that girl in handcuffs. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems wrong,

PatsWin2002
12-13-2004, 08:08 PM
She's already leading a life of crime.

Do you think she should just become a Raider fan now? :hmmm:

Garcia Bronco
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
I once brought a butcher knife to school in the second grade...second grade teacher caught me with it. She took it. Asked me why I brought it...I gave the classic answer...I don't know..that was the end of it...

Where ever you are Mrs Meyers...thank you for not making a federal case out of it. I hope you're well.

MichaelH
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Zero tolerance policies are retarded.

They are retarded but one stupid shithead spoils it for the rest. There needs to be a little slack in the laws or the administration needs to pull their heads out of their asses. I'd be in jail right now for kicking the teacher shitless over this one.

Skip Towne
12-14-2004, 11:37 AM
I gar-on-tee those sumbitches would be talking to my lawyer about now.