PDA

View Full Version : So Who Do We Keep On Defense After This Performance?

RINGLEADER
12-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I think these players return:

Jared Allen (Because he could be REALLY good if he didn't have a statue playing on the opposite side)

Ryan Sims (Because he has a fat contract)

Lionel Dalton (If he can return to his early season form)

Greg Wesley (Because we just re-signed him)

Shaunard Harts (Because he's adequate and he's ours)

Eric Warfield (Because he'd make an OK nickel-back)

Maybe we keep Barber if he comes back from the injury, but I doubt it. We need three starting LBs, a starting DE, and two starting CBs. At least that's how I see it.

ChiefsFire
12-13-2004, 10:07 PM
screwem all keep GUN start over

Baby Lee
12-13-2004, 10:07 PM
COULD NOT CARE LESS.

ILChief
12-13-2004, 10:08 PM
keep Allen, Sims, and Harts

send the rest packing

alanm
12-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Outside of Allen and Dalton everyone else should be given their walking papers.:cuss:

Mr. Christopher
12-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Jared Allen has been the only standout tonight that I can see.

Sims, Browning, Warfield would be a good start to a solid defense. HOWEVER, NONE of them are #1 quality in my opinion. In order to improve the defense, I think we need to see a draftee/FA at MLB and Corner (preferably corner #1 in the draft).

With a solid middle linebacker, I think our LB corps (if healthy), could be quite good. Likewise, a stud CB that can bump every one else down one spot could make our secondary solid. I hate to suggest any changes on the Dline, but at the same time, I don't see much progress there, either.

In short, I think that there are too many holes on defense to fix all in one year.

beavis
12-13-2004, 10:20 PM
In short, I think that there are too many holes on defense to fix all in one year.
Exactly. Even if you replace 6 or 7 players, it's not all going to come together in 1 year.

suds79
12-13-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm at the point where I don't care about the cap hit.

I don't think we have a chance to go to the SB next year anyways.

It's rebuilding time.

So take the cap hit and simply cut a lot of those losers and retool for 2 years down the road.

brent102fire
12-13-2004, 10:24 PM
I would say Allen, Sims, Dalton, Barber(if healthy), Wesley, Woods, Warfield. Other than that, you all can turn in your gear! :cuss:

Mr. Christopher
12-13-2004, 10:27 PM

It's rebuilding time.

So take the cap hit and simply cut a lot of those losers and retool for 2 years down the road.
I agree that the Chiefs aren't on track to win the SB next year. I also agree that they need to think about things a couple years down the road. But the thing that concerns me is that Vermeil is on his way out after next year, so are we going to be looking at another rebuilding period after Al Saunders takes over as head coach?

Mr. Christopher
12-13-2004, 10:29 PM
One person that HAS to go is Bartee, IMO. He gets beat more often than anyone else in the secondary...and when he doesn't, he commits stupid penalties.

ArrowheadChief
12-13-2004, 10:29 PM
GET RID OF EVERYONE. HIRE ALL NEW PLAYERS AND IF THE COACHES LIKE POOR PLAYING THEN DRAFT AND ENTIRELY NEW DEF.

beavis
12-13-2004, 10:31 PM
One person that HAS to go is Bartee, IMO. He gets beat more often than anyone else in the secondary...and when he doesn't, he commits stupid penalties.
I don't think he's good enough to play in Canada, much less the NFL.

RINGLEADER
12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
A couple of times after Bartee burns/penalties they show DV. At one point, as that resigned smile filled his face, I got the sense that he finally, FINALLY gets it. He seems to be thinking "I can't believe we resigned such a POS player".

TEX
12-13-2004, 10:33 PM

It's rebuilding time.

Exactly. This is what happens when you "guess wrong" and stand pat. You fall behind for years to come because you simply need too much to add in one year. Course after sucking so bad on _efense for 3 years there was no reason to "guess" wrong. :shake:

beavis
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
He seems to be thinking "I can't believe we resigned such a POS player".
I'll believe it when I see it. I've yet to hear him admit that the defense is the source of the problem.

chiefscafan
12-13-2004, 11:32 PM
ok my two cents

jared allen
lional dalton
saivi
foxx
fujita
barber
wesley (with a better FS maybe ok)
warfield
sims
after that you all can pack your bags

LiL stumppy
12-13-2004, 11:33 PM
We need a CB,DE,AND LB.

BigRedChief
12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
I'd like to have kept Donnie Edwards.

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
DE's
Jared Allen
Jimmy Wilkerson
Gary Stills

DT's
Ryan Sims
Lional Dalton
Junior

LB's
Fujitia
Beisel
Caver
Barber
Fox

CB's
Warfield
Battle
Sapp

S's
Wesley
Pile
Harts

bricks
12-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Keep Allen, Fujita, Warfield, Wesley, and Dalton. Get 2 LB's, a CB, FS, and a serious DE. As for LB's I think the Chiefs are going to use an excuse like "oh well we got Maz back, and he was our leading captain there, and remember he missed most of the season. Plus, Kawika Mitchell is young and ascending."

Messier
12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
I think Vonnie is gone Billy Bartee is gone Woods is gone.

Sure to be in the starting lineup next season J. Allen, sims, Barber, Wesley, Warfield. Everything else is up for grabs.

the Talking Can
12-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Besides Dalton and Allen no one should be allowed on the plane.

We have the worst LBs and the Worst CBs in the league.

We need a DE, a DT, 3 LBs, 2 CBs, and 1 safety. Seriously.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Allen
Sims
Dalton

Fujita

Warfield
Harts
Wesley

Ideally we keep Hicks, Browning, Woods and Barber as backups. If we can save money by cutting one or more, do so.

If Mitchell doesn't improve, he is good backup material.

Messier
12-14-2004, 01:03 AM
I think Barber is the best LB we have. He is starter. He is good.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 01:05 AM
I think Barber is the best LB we have. He is starter. He is good.

Fujita's better, IMO. Barber is weak against the run and barely adequate in coverage. And he's not going to be any better coming of ACL surgery.

bricks
12-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Besides Dalton and Allen no one should be allowed on the plane.

We have the worst LBs and the Worst CBs in the league.

We need a DE, a DT, 3 LBs, 2 CBs, and 1 safety. Seriously.

Yup I concur. Go all out. They might as well since Vermeil and co, have 1-year remaining on their contracts.

DaWolf
12-14-2004, 03:37 AM
Exactly. Even if you replace 6 or 7 players, it's not all going to come together in 1 year.
Sure it can, but you need good coaching for it to happen. And I have yet to see good defensive coaching this year...

Rukdafaidas
12-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Anyone know the details of Wood's and Bartee's contracts? It seems as though it would kill the cap cutting both of these guys, but they need to be cut.

Eleazar
12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Allen, Sims, Wesley, Warfield, and Woods has one more year on his deal I believe.

Siavii is too young and has gotten too little playing time to cut loose.

Think Fujita could turn into a good player if we had some talent around him.

philfree
12-14-2004, 08:40 AM
A new secondary, a stud OLB to take over Barbers spot and a LDE who can rush the passer. That's not to much for Christmas is it?

PhilFree :arrow:

Oxford
12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
You can't throw out everyone, even though last night's cluster might make me reconsider that. For the truly knowledgable among us, I pose the following....

Jerome Woods, can he play nickel corner? If so, then Harts would be my choice at FS. If not, then the cap dictates keeping him.

Scott Fujita, would he be better as WS LB (in place of Barber)? Would it fit his skills better? If so the a SSLB backer in F/A or draft is a must, a run stud who can play over the TE.

Monty Beisel and Kawicka Mitchell @ MLB, not willing to give up just yet.

Bartee -- gone
Caver -- gone
Battle -- kick coverage unit
McCleon -- dime corner
Holliday -- gone

Hicks -- backup LDE
Wilkerson -- young, keep him at least as good as Holliday
Browning -- backup D/L

Blaylock -- trade or F/A, I'm not sold on LJ, but it is a cap issue.

Cheek -- Who knows, I'd sure look at a replacement.

Looking at this we need a starting corner and a pass rushing LDE at minimum. We have too much money invested in our DT's to cut either one.

Which one are we likely to be able to get in the draft?

ct
12-14-2004, 10:48 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. I've yet to hear him admit that the defense is the source of the problem.

He did make comment on the post-game radio show last night. When asked about the "big" defensive stand in the 4th qtr, which forced the FG, he said something to the effect that anytime out defense stops somebody it's big, cause we're just not very good over there.

Anyway, here's my take on the secondary..

Secondary

Keep:
CB - Warfield, Sapp
S - Woods, Wesley, Harts, Pile(if possible)

Cut:
CB - Bartee, Battle, McCleon

FA Sign or Draft:
CB - Top flight cover corner in FA or 1st round(around pick 10-15 maybe?) to start, and mid-level or cap casualty FA Nickelback, draft prospect to groom.
S - Top prospect draftee or veteran cap casualty to replace Wesley in the starting lineup. Probably cost Wesley his job outright, but most likely can't afford to cut him, so Pile gets the short straw.

James Hasty to coach these punks how to punch em in the mouth and make a friggen tackle!!