David.
12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
not even close

ChiefsFire
12-13-2004, 11:24 PM
LJ

2bikemike
12-13-2004, 11:25 PM
What was the question again I got distracted by Elvomito's avatar.

cdcox
12-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Nothing aginst Blaylock, but Johnson has the potential to be something special.

jAZ
12-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Blaylock is a stud... Johnson is our future.

Can you believe how incredible our backfield is in KC?

After what seems like 150 years of shitty running backs in KC, I just want to say thanks to Carl and Dick.

Rausch

Agreed...

AZORChiefFan
LJ since DB won't be here next year.

Coach
12-13-2004, 11:27 PM
This poll will be the most lopsided poll, favoring LJ.

big nasty kcnut
12-13-2004, 11:35 PM
LJ is the man. Plus blaylock could be used as trade bait sign him to one year contract and trade him for draft pick or a player and enjoy it.

cdcox
12-13-2004, 11:38 PM

BRING BACK THE WINGED TEE!!!!11111 CAN YOU IMAGINE HAVING THEM ALL IN THE BACKFIELD AT THE SAME TIME?? OMG

alanm
12-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Let's face it Blaylock will be gone. We can't afford to keep all of them. Johnson has the most upside and we're not giving up our #1 draft pick. But I believe we do end up drafting a rb this upcoming draft.

Skip Towne
12-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Let's face it Blaylock will be gone. We can't afford to keep all of them. Johnson has the most upside and we're not giving up our #1 draft pick. But I believe we do end up drafting a rb this upcoming draft.
WTF? Did a squirrel eat your brains? We have more RB's than we know what to do with.

Rausch
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
WTF? Did a squirrel eat your brains? We have more RB's than we know what to do with. ROFL

Rausch
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
No one has voted for DB.... ROFL

stanleychief
12-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Can you imagine if we would have been successful trading him just a few short months ago? Oh man would that have sucked watching these long LJ runs! That would have been enough to make some people here go mental.

cdcox
12-13-2004, 11:50 PM
No one has voted for DB.... ROFL

Bob Dole must have gone to bed.

BigRedChief
12-13-2004, 11:58 PM
After what seems like 150 years of shitty running backs in KC, I just want to say thanks to Carl and Dick.

King Carl is totally responsible for LJ and Priest Holmes. DV didn't want Priest and saw him as a 3rd down back. DV like everyone elese on the planet thought we should have drafted defense instead of LJ.

Logical
12-14-2004, 12:00 AM
King Carl is totally responsible for LJ and Priest Holmes. DV didn't want Priest and saw him as a 3rd down back. DV like everyone elese on the planet thought we should have drafted defense instead of LJ.

I am not sure where you are getting DV did not want Priest, that is sure not how I remember it.

penchief
12-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I am not sure where you are getting DV did not want Priest, that is sure not how I remember it.

No, at first DV did not speak highly of Holmes. In fact, it was only after Holmes seemed to be the only option left for KC did Vermeil seem to warm to him.

I think BigRed is right on this one.

penchief
12-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Can you imagine if we would have been successful trading him just a few short months ago? Oh man would that have sucked watching these long LJ runs! That would have been enough to make some people here go mental.

My nightmares had him breaking long ones for the Raiders or Broncos after never having a chance to prove his worth with the Chiefs.*

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons).

penchief
12-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Anyone notice that the voting stopped at 27. Ironic.

BigRedChief

don't you remember that they were going to build the offense around Tony Richardson? All of the Twitlock articles saying that DV needs to give the ball to Priest more often that first year? He wanted priest but as a 3rd down back. but in DV's defense no one believed in Priest besides himself.

KC Dan
Couldn't resist being #28 :thumb:

Frazod
12-14-2004, 12:12 AM
I like Blaylock, and appreciate what he's done, but since he'll be gone next year anyway, Johnson's the man.

Seems like Johnson's stepping up, too, which is a good thing.

Logical
12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
No, at first DV did not speak highly of Holmes. In fact, it was only after Holmes seemed to be the only option left for KC did Vermeil seem to warm to him.

I think BigRed is right on this one.

Not immediately making him the starter is not the same as not wanting him. Big difference IMO.

bricks
12-14-2004, 12:15 AM
This may be off-topic, but, I think one of our RB's should play LB. Seriously.

Count Zarth
12-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Clearly the Chiefs need to clone their offense and send it back in a time machine to Marty's Chiefs.

Then Marty's Chiefs need to clone their defense and send it forward in time in the same time machine.

The result will be 15 straight Kansas City Chief Super Bowl titles.

KcMizzou
12-14-2004, 12:16 AM
I had no idea LJ had as much speed as he showed tonight. I'm very impressed.

el borracho
12-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Clearly the Chiefs need to clone their offense and send it back in a time machine to Marty's Chiefs.

Then Marty's Chiefs need to clone their defense and send it forward in time in the same time machine.

The result will be 15 straight Kansas City Chief Super Bowl titles.
We would win each game by an average of about 8 touchdowns.

Rausch
12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
I had no idea LJ had as much speed as he showed tonight. I'm very impressed.

Tell me you're not the tard that voted for DB... :mad:

Ugly Duck
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Blaylock all the way. Hairy Johnson has lost a step and has no second-level burst anymore.

Pants
12-14-2004, 12:28 AM
LJ impressed me much tonight. He made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like there's a bright future for the Chiefs.

KcMizzou
12-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Tell me you're not the tard that voted for DB... :mad:Oh, hell no...

Count Zarth
12-14-2004, 12:34 AM
We would win each game by an average of about 8 touchdowns.

Actually, no. Marty would run RBC with Johnson, Priest, and Blaylock. Being a retard, he would stick Johnson on the goalline because he's the "big back."

We would run the ball alot and pass mostly to Tony Gonzalez, never utilizing Kennison's speed. Kennison would drop some passes and get cut. Chief fans would bitch about Morton never getting open but Marty would keep him because he was a great blocker.

KILLER_CLOWN
12-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Actually, no. Marty would run RBC with Johnson, Priest, and Blaylock. Being a retard, he would stick Johnson on the goalline because he's the "big back."

We would run the ball alot and pass mostly to Tony Gonzalez, never utilizing Kennison's speed. Kennison would drop some passes and get cut. Chief fans would bitch about Morton never getting open but Marty would keep him because he was a great blocker.

and you forgot if marty was coaching tonight he would have pulled johnson after his 1st td run and sent him straight to the bench for an asschewing! :shake: never to return!

grandllama
12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Breaking my long standing tradition of not voting in a poll that doesn't include the Gaz option, I voted LJ. Damn!

cadmonkey
12-14-2004, 06:17 AM
WOW, all I can say is WOW. You have all jumped on Johnson's c*ck faster than I have ever seen! Everyone on this board wanted LJ shipped out over the off season with out even giving him a chance and once he had the oppertunity to show why he rushed for over 2,000 yards his senior year, you all love his ass.

the Talking Can
12-14-2004, 06:28 AM
any of our 3 RBs are better than all of Denver's RBs (just saying).....Blaylock is good but he isn't a franchise back, LJ might be...

NewChief
12-14-2004, 06:35 AM
WOW, all I can say is WOW. You have all jumped on Johnson's c*ck faster than I have ever seen! Everyone on this board wanted LJ shipped out over the off season with out even giving him a chance and once he had the oppertunity to show why he rushed for over 2,000 yards his senior year, you all love his ass.

No way, I feel perfectly confident* in stating that I never once doubted LJ.

*My confidence is further boosted by the disabling of the search function.;)

InChiefsHell
12-14-2004, 07:34 AM
LJ has certainly made the discussion much more complicated than it was a few weeks ago. I always thought the kid needed the carries, but after his first performance this season where he got like 2 yards per carry, I figured he might need a ton more time. Meanwhile, Blaylock looks good and solid, albeit not a starter.

Then comes the last two games and LJ explodes. Suddenly, Blaylock looks less impressive. I still say, ya gotta show me. Blaylock has been solid, but now we are seeing reasons to keep LJ. Good for him, and good for KC. I hope at least Blaylock's stock has risen enough to make him tradeable and I wish him luck. In other words, CP will want LJ over DB, and for once, I find myself agreeing...maybe...

...it'll depend on how consistent LJ is for the rest of this season.

...damn, he sure is fast though....

KCN
12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
No way, I feel perfectly confident* in stating that I never once doubted LJ.

*My confidence is further boosted by the disabling of the search function.;)

Ha, I will step up and admit I jumped the LJ bandwagon last night despite contradicting myself earlier this season. I won't be completely on that bandwagon until this season is over though. We all knew his potential (he was #1 DP afterall) and I didn't doubt that but I needed to see some growing up both on the field and off and from what I saw last night, the way he was patient enough for the O-Line to give him blocks for a big break and his attitude post game, I think he's getting there if not there already.

Cochise
12-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Johnson 63
Blaylock 3

I think it's pretty clear who the winner is, both here and on the field.

I am also glad I wasn't one of the knuckleheads who was always dissing him and saying he sucked until a couple games ago.

I think it's funny that Carl was right and everyone here was wrong. Happens more often than the planet would admit...

Chiefnj
12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Johnson ran extremely well. When DV wasn't using him and then benched him after his 1st TD run I was wondering why the hell I'm still a fan of the Chiefs.

All that being said, Johsnon has done very well against two poor teams. I'd like to see him run against a more stout defense before proclaiming him the heir to Priest.

ct
12-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Johnson ran extremely well. When DV wasn't using him and then benched him after his 1st TD run I was wondering why the hell I'm still a fan of the Chiefs.

All that being said, Johsnon has done very well against two poor teams. I'd like to see him run against a more stout defense before proclaiming him the heir to Priest.

Precisely, let's see what he does vs. Denver this week. They aren't fantastic, but a damn shade better than the Titans.

I like the sign and trade idea for Blaylock. He does have trade value, but won't get starter $ on the market, he's just not that type of RB. But he would make a great 3rd down, change of pace back somewhere, and might garner a 3rd or 4th round pick. Longshot that could be worked out, but would love to see it happen.

tiptap
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
LJ is impressive. He showed the speed that was missing in his earlier play. He was able to get to the outside and ran away from the secondary.

Here is my concern, (I voted to keep LJ over Blaylock). Can he mesh with the passing game in both blocking and receiving? Despite a great running game it is still the passing game that makes offenses dangerous. If LJ can catch the difficult passes then he can make it in this Coryell offense. The other concern is on ST. Blaylock was effective on ST. And as the number 2 back you might be called upon to play on ST.

Drums roll . . . Trade Dante and let LJ do the returns. On a team with out a lot of turnover and a season ST players Dante is dynamite (last years Chief's team). On a team that is going to face a lot of turnover the ST play won't reap the benefit from Dante (this and next years teams especially on defence.) Get players of need on defense or even another WR that is there in the offense where Dante is less than average on being a target for the ball. Great after the catch just not a great target to pass to.

That makes LJ the return person so he is part of the ST play but is not the liability of trying to block or tackle. Hopefully we have Bo back ????

Logical
12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
I was impressed with the two runs last night, but that is not enough for him to get my vote. It does make me more willing to accept we are going to lose Blaylock.

Lzen
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM

Bullshit. Not everyone thought LJ was a bust. So, don't be a dumbass and make blanket statements. Although I will add that Larry Johnson did not look too good in his first real action this season against Tampa. But that doesn't mean some of us didn't think that he still had potentiel.

Frankly, I have never had a problem with the Chiefs drafting Johnson. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time of the 2003 draft, Blaylock had not done much. In the last 2 games of the 2002 season, Holmes was hurt and Blaylock did not show us much to give the Chiefs and their fans any confidence in the RB depth behind Priest. Couple that with the fact that nobody knew if Priest would even make it back and the pick was a good decision. Looking back now you can say we should've picked defensive help. But like I said, that's just hindsight.

Logical
12-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Bullshit. Not everyone thought LJ was a bust. So, don't be a dumbass and make blanket statements. Although I will add that Larry Johnson did not look too good in his first real action this season against Tampa. But that doesn't mean some of us didn't think that he still had potentiel.

Frankly, I have never had a problem with the Chiefs drafting Johnson. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time of the 2003 draft, Blaylock had not done much. In the last 2 games of the 2002 season, Holmes was hurt and Blaylock did not show us much to give the Chiefs and their fans any confidence in the RB depth behind Priest. Couple that with the fact that nobody knew if Priest would even make it back and the pick was a good decision. Looking back now you can say we should've picked defensive help. But like I said, that's just hindsight.

For you maybe, but there were many of us saying it loudly on the day of the draft and ever since. Like I said I was impressed with the two runs last night but still wish we had not screwed up in that draft and went for defense instead.

Lzen
12-14-2004, 09:31 AM
For you maybe, but there were many of us saying it loudly on the day of the draft and ever since. Like I said I was impressed with the two runs last night but still wish we had not screwed up in that draft and went for defense instead.

Imagine for a second if Blaylock turned out to be no better than Mike Cloud. Then imagine that Priest's injury was bad enough that he was forced to retire. That was a very real possibility at the time. Not only would our offense not have been able to keep opponents from scoring, we wouldn't have been able to keep up with teams in scoring.

redbrian
12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
LJ is impressive. He showed the speed that was missing in his earlier play. He was able to get to the outside and ran away from the secondary.

Here is my concern, (I voted to keep LJ over Blaylock). Can he mesh with the passing game in both blocking and receiving? Despite a great running game it is still the passing game that makes offenses dangerous. If LJ can catch the difficult passes then he can make it in this Coryell offense. The other concern is on ST. Blaylock was effective on ST. And as the number 2 back you might be called upon to play on ST.

Drums roll . . . Trade Dante and let LJ do the returns. On a team with out a lot of turnover and a season ST players Dante is dynamite (last years Chief's team). On a team that is going to face a lot of turnover the ST play won't reap the benefit from Dante (this and next years teams especially on defense.) Get players of need on defense or even another WR that is there in the offense where Dante is less than average on being a target for the ball. Great after the catch just not a great target to pass to.

That makes LJ the return person so he is part of the ST play but is not the liability of trying to block or tackle. Hopefully we have Bo back ????

LJ made a couple of good blocks last night, for pass protection, he has also shown that he has some nice hands and can catch the ball.

I would not use my number 2 RB as a returner, look what happened last night when the titans RB went down during a return.

Logical
12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Imagine for a second if Blaylock turned out to be no better than Mike Cloud. Then imagine that Priest's injury was bad enough that he was forced to retire. That was a very real possibility at the time. Not only would our offense not have been able to keep opponents from scoring, we wouldn't have been able to keep up with teams in scoring.

Now that is playing against reality we had no reason to suspect that when the draft occurred any more than we had reason to expect Blaylock would turn out so well. What we did know was our defense was putrid and needed a major infusion of talent. We still know that is a fact.

Lzen
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Now that is playing against reality we had no reason to suspect that when the draft occurred any more than we had reason to expect Blaylock would turn out so well. What we did know was our defense was putrid and needed a major infusion of talent. We still know that is a fact.

How is that playing against reality? That was very much a real possibility. We had every reason to believe that our RB position was in trouble. I do, however, agree with the defense part. We signed 3 FAs for the defense.

Chiefnj
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM

I'll agree with you about Blaylock, but the day of the draft CP stood up and said Holmes is healthy and that they expected him to play.

I'll give CP credit for spotting talent in Johnson (after 2 games against poor defenses anyway), but I still don't think it was a good move overall for the franchise.

Logical
12-14-2004, 10:00 AM
How is that playing against reality? That was very much a real possibility. We had every reason to believe that our RB position was in trouble. I do, however, agree with the defense part. We signed 3 FAs for the defense.

Priest said he would be fine, Carl said he would be fine and DV said it. If you trust them then we had no reason to believe it. I guess you trusted Taco.:p

KCJohnny
12-14-2004, 10:21 AM
This won't be popular in the wake of the LJ love fest, but whatever he's worth trade value needs to be dealt to get help for this awful _efense. I was one who thought Priest was slowing down but he's very obviously NOT. He would have easily had another 1500 yd/24 TD season this year had he not hurt his knee. DV & Co need to win NOW. This O is getting OLD.

Lzen
12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Priest said he would be fine, Carl said he would be fine and DV said it. If you trust them then we had no reason to believe it. I guess you trusted Taco.:p

As I remember it, all reports at the time were that Priest could barely walk. Try again.

Chiefnj
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
"Priest Holmes is the starting running back," GM Carl Peterson said. "He's making very good progress with his rehab. Obviously, Larry gives us great security and a great insurance policy. We anticipate Priest is going to be 100 percent for training camp. Our doctors and trainers tell us that."

DanT
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Johnson seems to have the elusive ability to get around the corner. That's deadly in a back of his size.

DanT
Johnson seems to have the elusive ability to get around the corner. That's deadly in a back of his size, where he's among twiggy defensive backs.

Logical
As I remember it, all reports at the time were that Priest could barely walk. Try again.

Without the search function we will have to agree to disagree. Were it working you could see from my posts the day of the draft and after me accussing Carl of lying to us about the fact Priest was going to make a full recovery or he just wanted to f*ck over Priest in his contract negotiation by picking up LJ. You may not believe me but I am way to invested in this argument to forget the details.

Logical
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
"Priest Holmes is the starting running back," GM Carl Peterson said. "He's making very good progress with his rehab. Obviously, Larry gives us great security and a great insurance policy. We anticipate Priest is going to be 100 percent for training camp. Our doctors and trainers tell us that."

Thanks for the quote Chiefnj :thumb:

2bikemike
12-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Don't know whats been said on here I am too lazy and not interested in wading through every response.

But this poll shows the old addage "what have you done for me lately" is alive and well.

After Blaylock had some good games ie: Atlanta, New Orleans. he was proclaimed to be the man. Johnson has a couple good games and now he is the man.

I am not discounting either guy I think they both could do the job adequately. I just find it kinda funny that pulse of the planet is pretty easily defined.

Calcountry
12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
100% agree with you.

We have a top QB, top RB, all we need is a playmaking WR and our O is unstoppable.

cadmonkey
12-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't go calling me bullsh*t and throw Neg. Rep around because 90% of the posters on here were calling for his head durring the offseasonand backing Dicky V up when he told him to change his diapers. I call it like I see it. If that hurts your feelings tough sh*t.

When Ricky Williams retired there were at least ten threads dedicated to shipping his ass to Miami for draft picks. On top of that, a lot of people didn't even think that he was worth a second round pick.

So I am sorry you were in the minority on liking LJ, I'm sorry you took offense to what I said. Get over it. It was a simple statement.

And for the record, I always said that LJ was a great running back. It was tough for anyone to get a read on his talent when DV told him to sit the bench and MAYBE touch the ball 5 times a game.

BigRedChief
12-14-2004, 12:55 PM
And for the record, I always said that LJ was a great running back. It was tough for anyone to get a read on his talent when DV told him to sit the bench and MAYBE touch the ball 5 times a game.

Since the search function is disabled and we can't verify your obvious talent evaluating skills I'll take your word on this. :rolleyes:

cmh6476
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I think Blaylock's success has more to do with the best O-Line in the league and the RB friendly system, where LJ has more of the tools and skills it takes to succeed at the RB position in the NFL.

KCJohnny
12-14-2004, 06:57 PM
100% agree with you.

We have a top QB, top RB, all we need is a playmaking WR and our O is unstoppable.

I would say our O is virtually unstoppable now. And we're 5-8. No amount of offense is going to right this ship IMO... :(

LiL stumppy
12-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Well I like them both but LJ has the pwoer hat DB doesn't have.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Blaylock is a stud... Johnson is our future.

:thumb:

Name another NFL team that has as many quality running backs as we do. We should consider ourselves lucky and not be quibbling over who plays.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 07:15 PM
BRING BACK THE WINGED TEE!!!!11111 CAN YOU IMAGINE HAVING THEM ALL IN THE BACKFIELD AT THE SAME TIME?? OMG
Shut the hell up, Marv! :p

Manila-Chief
12-14-2004, 07:35 PM

I've not read the other pages of this thread but gotta reply to this one ... I still say Kingless should have drafted defense. That's not a put down for LJ ... just accurate examination of the facts. Where would we be as a team had the pick been a quality D player at say ... LB or CB??? Could it have helped us win a few more games this year and maybe get us into the playoffs???

At this point in time ... LJ seems to be doing well. But, let's not get too excited. How many other backs have we the fans gotten excited about only to have them be cut???? But, after the last couple of games, yes, LJ is the RB we keep and allow Blaylock to become a free agent. I'd love to resign him but due to salary cap ... will not happen. Oh, and he may become a start coz he has been hurt the last couple of weeks and next year may set the woods on fire.

The other thing I was going to post ... let's hear if for .... RB by committee!!!!! I know dumb joke ... but kind of nice to have a committee that is as good as these guys are.

Mr. Laz
12-14-2004, 07:40 PM
who is under contract next year?

digi2fish
12-14-2004, 07:51 PM
it's time to give LJ a shot.
this guy was really doing something with only 7 carries.

Manila-Chief
12-14-2004, 08:29 PM
I think Blaylock's success has more to do with the best O-Line in the league and the RB friendly system, where LJ has more of the tools and skills it takes to succeed at the RB position in the NFL.

Ugh.... ???? .... sorry I don't understand your logic. Why is Blaylock's success due to the OL and LJ is due to his skills? Don't they both run behind the same line?

After 2 games against teams that do not have a D .... I agree that it looks like LJ has better skills.... but, let's wait til we see him face a strong D before we annoint him the real King!!! I voted LJ coz the poll is to vote now and at this point he seems to be our best option at future R.B.

I would say our O is virtually unstoppable now. And we're 5-8. No amount of offense is going to right this ship IMO... :(

KCJohnny .... I fully agree with you. That is why I still say that we needed to have gone D with that draft pick. LJ just may be the back of the future .... but opportunity in the NFL only comes around every so often ... I believe it would have been much better to have patched up our terrible D (it was terrible back then as well) and had a genuine chance of winning a S.B. ..... rather than drafting a RB that may be a future star.

I know LJ may turn out to be the very bestest RB in the history of the game. But that is 2 to 4 years away ... The future is now. Thus, if Kingless had just drafted a genuine starter on D .... no not a star cause we probably couldn't have drafted a start at that draft position ... but a solid starter at LB or CB would put us in much better shape for next year. It takes a draftee a couple years to mature and next year would be his year. One less piece of the puzzle that we need for next year. That is assuming Kingless would have used it wisely but that is another discussion.

You guys can roll your eyes ... jump on me all you want ... but until we fix the defense we are going no where. As evidence ... how many S.B wins did Don Coryall (sp?) win? .... if a team only has "all" on either side of the ball they will fail!!! Even the great D teams had a semblance of an O. Even with Gun in the booth we still have a no name D .... it is no name coz it don't exist...

cmh6476
12-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Ugh.... ???? .... sorry I don't understand your logic. Why is Blaylock's success due to the OL and LJ is due to his skills? Don't they both run behind the same line?

After 2 games against teams that do not have a D .... I agree that it looks like LJ has better skills.... but, let's wait til we see him face a strong D before we annoint him the real King!!! I voted LJ coz the poll is to vote now and at this point he seems to be our best option at future R.B.

just from what I've seen, I've drawn that perception.

Hell, it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong if it's not right though.

I just think LJ seems to have more potential in the NFL. If either went to another team, I would have more faith that LJ would succeed than Blaylock.

And I think almost any NFL RB could have some success running behind our line. It's just that good.