PDA

View Full Version : Plummer's bootleg won't fool Allen, but...

Coogs
12-15-2004, 08:47 AM
I wonder what the OVER/UNDER is on how many times Hicks gets abused? I'm guessing around 10 times. :banghead:

Wile_E_Coyote
12-15-2004, 08:53 AM
this is the first time Gun gets to play the same team twice. This is where he should show his worth

Coogs
12-15-2004, 08:58 AM
this is the first time Gun gets to play the same team twice. This is where he should show his worth

:thumb:

Chan93lx50
12-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Sad thing is every damn team we have played has used to bootleg and unfortunalty its still being uses against us with some success.

Though I dont see them running it to allens side to much, but when the do the reciever behind allen is not being covered and the QB dumps the ball for a 10 yard game.

This happens over and over and over again.

Atleast Allen gets to lay some hits on the QB after the ball has been dumped

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2004, 09:03 AM
I still have nightmares from the first game. But remember DV says our defense sucks only bc we put too much pressure on them.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I've been looking for that in recent games... I expect to see a lot of it on Sunday.

chiefz
12-15-2004, 09:16 AM
I think they will try hard to control the bootleg and ultimately it will open up the middle for the rush.

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Sad thing is every damn team we have played has used to bootleg and unfortunalty its still being uses against us with some success.

With this being Gun's second time around, and Hicks's who knows how many times around, if Hick's gets repeatedly fooled as usual, IMO he (Hicks) should start updating his resume.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Allen needs to place the crown of his helmet on Joke Plumber's chin on a bootleg (like Lynch did to Dante). Bust Joke's face open and he'll start throwing picks left & right.

Pay the fine... it'll be well worth it :evil:

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
I think they will try hard to control the bootleg and ultimately it will open up the middle for the rush.

That is what we are supposed to have LB's for. Could be a make or break game for Mitchell.

Gaz
12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
We did not bite on the bootleg Monday night and it did not make much difference. Our LBs were consistently out of position and left the receiver wide open for an easy completion in the [wide] open field.

It is not just a DE problem, folks. Our LBs are a serious weakness.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees way too many holes.

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:24 AM
We did not bite on the bootleg Monday night and it did not make much difference. Our LBs were consistently out of position and left the receiver wide open for an easy completion in the [wide] open field.

It is not just a DE problem, folks. Our LBs are a serious weakness.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees way too many holes.

Very true. But the bootleg problem starts with the containment by the DE. Allen has is figured out. Hicks must as well, or the rest of the defense has no chance. To fix the problem, we need to start at square one, and that is Hicks staying home. I'm betting he doesn't.

BigRedChief
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM

Why? After the game he said that he had instructed them how to play the bootleg over and over again and they ignored his instructions. I guess we can see if they listen this time.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Hicks' problem isn't biting on the bootleg fake, it's his lack of speed. He usually reads the play correctly, he's just two steps too slow.

Our OLBs are the key to stopping the boot. They MUST stick with their assignments!!!!!!!!! The point of the bootleg is to get the defense flowing one direction while the QB and TE or RB go the opposite. Hit the open player in the flat & let him run for yac. If the LB stays with thhe TE or RB, the pass equates to a net gain of 0 for the offense. The DE, if he reads it and moves fast enough, may be able to get a coverage sack in that instance. If the LB DOESN'T stay with his assignment, you have either an open receiver for the QB on the boot, or a ton of running room for the QB. Neither are good for the D.

Wile_E_Coyote
Why? After the game he said that he had instructed them how to play the bootleg over and over again and they ignored his instructions. I guess we can see if they listen this time.

he somehow got them to keep playing Monday night...they where beyond bad the first half

morphius
Being that we are playing the team most likely to cheat in the NFL, I think we should get a little ugly. Play like they are going to run it, and if they fake it or actually run it, just sloberknock plummer into next week... Personal Fouls be damned.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
I say our DEs should start cut-blocking the donkey OTs. Don't worry about the bootleg... every play, the DT engages the OT high and the DE hits him in the side/back of the leg right at the knee.

Should put a quick stopper in their running game. :evil:

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Hicks' problem isn't biting on the bootleg fake, it's his lack of speed. He usually reads the play correctly, he's just two steps too slow.

My TV set must have been broken the first game vs the Donks. I didn't see Hicks anywhere in the picture on the bootleg.

Lzen
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Holliday was getting abused badly by the bootleg in the first game. Hicks bit on it some, too. But on Monday night against the Titans, both DEs did play it pretty well. Like HC and Gaz have mentioned, the LBers have to cover the TE, WR, or whatever that goes out for the pass on those. That was what they were doing wrong on those bootlegs against Tennessee. The safeties and cornerbacks were having to come up and make the stops.

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Probably because he playes RDE.... that's the backside of the donkey bootleg. Plummer is right-handed, so they boot to the right about 90% of the time.

Like I said, he's slow... probably why you didn't see him: two steps too late to make a play on an unprotected QB in space. :-/

Damn, my TV must really be broken. My set shows Hicks at LDE, and Allen at RDE.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Why do you think that post was deleted, numbnuts? (deleted BEFORE you quoted it too) :p

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
I say our DEs should start cut-blocking the donkey OTs. Don't worry about the bootleg... every play, the DT engages the OT high and the DE hits him in the side/back of the leg right at the knee.

Should put a quick stopper in their running game. :evil:

Technically, it's not illegal for the defense to do it. It would be unfortunate that guys get hurt, but hey, it's legal. - Rain Manahan.

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Why do you think that post was deleted, numbnuts? (deleted BEFORE you quoted it too) :p

No need for namecalling. :shake:

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:44 AM
No need for namecalling. :shake:

Oh now, don't go all sensitive SD fan on us :D

I stand by waht I said: Hicks is slow and the LBs need to stay with their assignment. (Hicks is just slow from the LDE spot... not the RDE spot) ;)

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Oh now, don't go all sensitive SD fan on us :D

I stand by waht I said: Hicks is slow and the LBs need to stay with their assignment. (Hicks is just slow from the LDE spot... not the RDE spot) ;)

I agree the LB's need to stick with their assignment. If Hicks doesn't get fooled, that assignment should become easier. I see this game a a big benchmark for players who want to remain employeed next season by the Chiefs.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
If I were Gun I'd tell Hicks to take the outside shoulder on every play. Keep the OLB in the gap, reading the RB or TE. If the OL stunts to his right, you know it's a boot or misdirection counter. If they run-block straight, hit the gap between the tackle and guard (unless they have the TE over HIcks, in which case the LB picks up the TE). That way you have your DE running straight into the QB's face on bootlegs.

Adjust accordingly as the game progresses.

Coogs
12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
If I were Gun I'd tell Hicks to take the outside shoulder on every play. Keep the OLB in the gap, reading the RB or TE. If the OL stunts to his right, you know it's a boot or misdirection counter. If they run-block straight, hit the gap between the tackle and guard (unless they have the TE over HIcks, in which case the LB picks up the TE). That way you have your DE running straight into the QB's face on bootlegs.

Adjust accordingly as the game progresses.

I'm no football coach, but that sounds logical. Hicks and all three LB's future with the Chiefs should be hanging in the balance on this game. They know what is comming. They must be able to contain it.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 10:01 AM
IMO their fate is already sealed.
Hicks: gone.
LB corps, replaced (yes, all of 'em).
Heck, I'd replace both corners as well.
Harts to FS, Woods takes a walk.

That's a seven player turnover on D. This draft is crucial - it's where we'll get most of the seven.