PDA

View Full Version : Has the NFL gone too far in helping offenses?

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
We are seeing offenses run wild. Peyton Manning sneezes, and someone catches his spittle for a touchdown. The Chiefs are on their third-string running back and averaging over 200 points per game. Randy Moss has the ability to catch a touchdown on any play where he's not taking time off or running over a security guard. The list goes on and on.

Offensive linemen using their hands. Defensive backs not using their hands. Intentional grounding outside the tackles. No touching the quarterbacks. Has the NFL pendulum swung too far in terms of offensive rulemaking?

Poll forthcoming, and you aren't allowed to touch it after the first five yards.

Chan93lx50
12-15-2004, 09:34 AM
So thats whats wrong with our Defense

Though the only argument I have is the past few super bowl teams have been Defense teams.

ptlyon
12-15-2004, 09:35 AM
The Chiefs are on their third-string running back and averaging over 200 points per game.

Wow. If that were the case then I bet we would be undefeated this year.

KCTitus
Watching the Sunday night game, I saw a PI call on the DB covering Owens and the slow-mo replay showed Owens had his hand on the DB's chin pushing upwards and the DB was not making any contact.

First and goal, PHI...

I've allways been a firm believer that the NFL 'gives' calls to the better teams and better players in their respective position.

MichaelH
The Chiefs are on their third-string running back and averaging over 200 points per game.

Damn, the Chiefs are scoring that much and are still 5-8. :p

Chan93lx50
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Watching the Sunday night game, I saw a PI call on the DB covering Owens and the slow-mo replay showed Owens had his hand on the DB's chin pushing upwards and the DB was not making any contact.

First and goal, PHI...

I've allways been a firm believer that the NFL 'gives' calls to the better teams and better players in their respective position.

I agree hense the lucky ass calls the pats get all the time!

Cochise
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
They need to fix the way they call pass interference. You can't lay a finger on Marvin Harrison but Tony Gonzalez practically gets undressed on every play?

And on top of that someone like Harrison will get tons of calls that someone like Eddie Kennison is never going to get. It's definitely starting to feel like there is a seperate set of rules for superstars like there is in the NBA, as well.

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Wow. If that were the case then I bet we would be undefeated this year.

Okay, maybe my math is a little faulty.

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I think it's out of control. We need to roll back some of the pro-offense rules immediately, or we'll risk losing the excitement of the game. You can only watch the offensive Globetrotters play the defensive Washington Generals a few times before it gets boring.

KCTitus
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Or non-calls...I think the refs lost their hankies during last years AFC championship. During Sunday's game, Seymour hit Palmer low and sprained his knee causing him to miss, basically, the rest of the season. Players are not allowed to hit the QB low, it's a roughing call, and NE did not get penalized. The announcer excused it by saying Seymour was 'blocked' low.

I will admit that KC got a gift, Monday on that roughing call on Green just before the Kennison TD. They were owed that one from the cheesy roughing call Tenn got earlier in the game.

The roughing calls have gotten out of hand.

MichaelH
12-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Basically, the officiating has been awful. They're being asked to do more this season when they weren't doing a good job to begin with.

cadmonkey
12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
They need to stop helping Offenses and ease up on protecting the QB. I understand the no hitting a QB in the head and late hits and whatever, but some of the calls are just awful. The QB's are starting to jerk their heads around when someone puts their hands on their chests so the refs will call "a shot to the head" foul.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 10:15 AM
IMO coaches should be able to ask for a review on penalties. Let that be one of the two challenges allowed per game.

Amnorix
12-15-2004, 10:15 AM

*coughbullshitcough*

Ultra Peanut
12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
**** the NFL.

milkman
12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I do agree that some teams get the benefit of doubt on PI and illegal contact fouls.

I also agree that their is a disparity between the calls some players get.

But I also believe firmly that the NFl has gone way to far in it's desire to see more scoring, and have slanted the rules in favor of the offense entirely to much.

I really enjoy great defensive battles, and we simply don't see them anymore.

picasso
12-15-2004, 10:56 AM
It's simply ridiculous!!!
I wonder what the ref said to himself watching the replay of the goal line reception Gonzo had when the DB had him by the face mask the whole time and not one ref pulled a flag out. OOPS missed that one!
Roughing calls are absolutely idiotic these days. You should be able to follow through with a push on the QB and not get called for it. NOT SPEARING!!! But pushing should be legal.

What happened to the days of gut football when Roger Staubach played with broken crooked fingers and Terry Bradshaw was playing with a bleeding tongue? These days QBs are a bunch of fuvking pansies. Beating the previous records of true grit players with princess gloves on and without a speck of dirt on their uniforms. Makes me sick!!!!

MichaelH
12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
I
What happened to the days of gut football when Roger Staubach played with broken crooked fingers and Terry Bradshaw was playing with a bleeding tongue? These days QBs are a bunch of fuvking pansies. Beating the previous records of true grit players with princess gloves on and without a speck of dirt on their uniforms. Makes me sick!!!!

It's all part of the pussification of America. The NFL isn't exempt.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I think it's out of control. We need to roll back some of the pro-offense rules immediately, or we'll risk losing the excitement of the game. You can only watch the offensive Globetrotters play the defensive Washington Generals a few times before it gets boring.

The Washington Generals play better defense against the Globetrotters than the Chiefs do in their games.

Gaz
12-15-2004, 11:30 AM
The PI rules have hamstrung the CBs. The “shutdown CB” was a myth before the new interpretation. Now, the term is just a joke.

The “roughing the passer” calls were bogus on both sides.

And have I mentioned how much I hate the hook slide rule?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure where a Defense Homer is supposed to get his jollies anymore.

KCTitus
12-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Not sure where a Defense Homer is supposed to get his jollies anymore.

I suggest the store downtown with the blacked out windows and movies for 25 cents.

Gaz
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I suggest the store downtown with the blacked out windows and movies for 25 cents.

Mrs. Gaz would not approve.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has to sleep sometime.

cadmonkey
12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Mrs. Gaz would not approve.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has to sleep sometime.

I don't think Mrs. Gaz needs to know!

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 12:35 PM
*coughbullshitcough*

I don't think half of New England's field goals are even through the uprights.