PDA

View Full Version : Ala carte Cable Tv could reduce cable costs

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 03:34 PM
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64399,00.html

But the Fcc has rejected it. Ofcourse they have, it's run by big business republicans who reject anything that reduce cost or empowers people.

Espn is a MAJOR reason why cable always raises rates. Espn is charging more and more each year with their additions of NBA and other sports.

If the public were allowed to choose channels then prices would come down. But you see the cable companies need QVC and infomercial bullsh** channels to offset their expensive programming is what they say.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20041119/1027246_F.shtml

I know alot of people don't care for ESPN or their price.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Uh oh. You said the "R" word. Prepare to be flamed...

morphius
12-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Well, most the cable comapnies fought it, and a bunch of the larger media outlet's did as well and not enough people complained to offset the money they other groups were dumping into it.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Dream on.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Uh oh. You said the "R" word. Prepare to be flamed...
ROFL

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Dream on.

Satellite BUHLOWS.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:41 PM
I'd ditch cable if I could afford a satellite system.

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd ditch cable if I could afford a satellite system.

Huh? It's cheaper... but it doesn't provide cable intraweb or good qual picture when it's cloudy.

Count Alex's Wins
12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Ala carte cable would be the bomb. I only watch a few channels anyway.

shakesthecat
12-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Satellite BUHLOWS.

Yeah!
I'm so tired of DirecTV not raising my rates every 6 months, I could puke.

And don't get me started on be forced to watch any NFL game I damn well please on Sundays.

Who do they think they are.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Huh? It's cheaper... but it doesn't provide cable intraweb or good qual picture when it's cloudy.
I'd have to shell out $299 for a receiver and a dish.

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah!
I'm so tired of DirecTV not raising my rates every 6 months, I could puke.

And don't get me started on be forced to watch any NFL game I damn well please on Sundays.

Who do they think they are.

LMAO. I've had digital cable for 2 years with no raises in cost, but keep believeing the commercials. Plus, Sunday Ticket is kinda expensive, innit? I live in KC/Lawrence so I don't face that issue.

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Dude, it's like $50 for 3 rooms and free installation...or some shit like that. I know it's cheaper, that's what I always thought after seeing the commercials.

Saulbadguy
Dude, it's like $50 for 3 rooms and free installation...or some shit like that. I know it's cheaper, that's what I always thought after seeing the commercials.
Not for an HDTV receiver.

Skip Towne
I'd ditch cable if I could afford a satellite system. I can get you a 1 room system for $10, 2 rooms for $20 and so on.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:49 PM
I can get you a 1 room system for $10, 2 rooms for $20 and so on.
I know...but thats not for HDTV, is it?

Now...please bitch at me for having HDTV as its too new and only suckers buy it. :)

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 03:49 PM
You're full of shit.

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Oh you rollin like dat? I don't know about that, how mush is it for a cable HDTV reciever, or is it default with the box? Plus, why would change to satellite, maybe I'm missing something. DSL blows compared to cable, so untill there is a better source for internet than cable, I'm sticking to cable.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:50 PM
You're full of shit.
ROFL

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:51 PM
You're full of shit.

Since when do you get cable internet with Dish?

Saulbadguy
Oh you rollin like dat? I don't know about that, how mush is it for a cable HDTV reciever, or is it default with the box? Plus, why would change to satellite, maybe I'm missing something. DSL blows compared to cable, so untill there is a better source for internet than cable, I'm sticking to cable.
Because i'm tired of our fvcking Cable company raising rates (Cox). They refuse to deal with our local providers to receive HD signal over cable. They even airred commercials dissing ESPN because they charge too much. Cox is a bunch of greedy cheap bastards who deserve to rot in hell.

I'll probably keep their internet though, until they raise that (again).

Skip Towne
I know...but thats not for HDTV, is it?

Now...please bitch at me for having HDTV as its too new and only suckers buy it. :)
Nope, they're $500. And if you're broke, you have no business with an HDTV. And yes, you are a sucker for buying an HDTV.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Cox Cable does suck ass.... I definitely don't miss it!

I've been very happy w/ Time Warner. I have high speed internet, digital phone service and premium digital cable service (all the HBOs, sports, Discovery Channel(s), History Channel(s) (my fav)) for ~$75 /month. Killer deal :)

shakesthecat
12-15-2004, 03:53 PM
DSL blows compared to cable, so untill there is a better source for internet than cable, I'm sticking to cable.

Skip's right.

A cable modem is fine. Well that is until a few other people on your block get it and reduce your bandwidth.

With DSL, you get what you pay for.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Since when do you get cable internet with Dish?
You can get the internet via dish. It's called Direcway but you can't afford it. You are also fos about picture quality and clouds.

Pants
12-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Because i'm tired of our fvcking Cable company raising rates (Cox). They refuse to deal with our local providers to receive HD signal over cable. They even airred commercials dissing ESPN because they charge too much. Cox is a bunch of greedy cheap bastards who deserve to rot in hell.

I'll probably keep their internet though, until they raise that (again).

I've heard some shirtty stuff about comcast, never heard of cox, though. I have TW and the only time they raised the rates as far as I know back when they switched to the box. But then they had a deal for free upgrade to the 300 channel set up and free HBO, or some shit like that. Anyway, I remember it being OK after all.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Cox Cable does suck ass.... I definitely don't miss it!

I've been very happy w/ Time Warner. I have high speed internet, digital phone service and premium digital cable service (all the HBOs, sports, Discovery Channel(s), History Channel(s) (my fav)) for ~$75 /month. Killer deal :)
Internet alone here is 39.99. Fvcking rip off.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Just open your junk mail.

Not a day goes by I don't get an offer for up to four rooms installed for free. Usually combined with whatever programming promotion they've got running at the moment.

Anyone paying for initial setup of a satellite system is a retard.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, there's a good return on an invenstment.

I'd like to spend $200+ on an HD receiver to see six channels in HD, please.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Internet alone here is 39.99. Fvcking rip off.

Yep, and it drops constantly because their engineers are morons. FFS, <i>I</i> had to diagnose and report why I couldn't play online games to their engineering 'team'... they had a router dropping packets like our receivers drop passes. G'damned morons couldn't figure out how to run a tracert to find the router?! And they call themselves engineers? :spock:

Pants
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Just open your junk mail.

Not a day goes by I don't get an offer for up to four rooms installed for free. Usually combined with whatever programming promotion they've got running at the moment.

Anyone paying for initial setup of a satellite system is a retard.

He wants HDTV, he a gangsta.

And that thing about your neighbors taking up your bandwidth with cable modem is true, that is if you have 120,000 neighbors.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Oh you rollin like dat? I don't know about that, how mush is it for a cable HDTV reciever, or is it default with the box?

I think with Cox it's like an extra $5/month for the box... then, of course, you have to tack on the extra cost of the HD programming.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Cox Cable does suck ass....

I've had plenty of success w/ Phoenix Cox.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, there's a good return on an invenstment.

I'd like to spend $200+ on an HD receiver to see six channels in HD, please.

If that is what it took, I would do it. Luckly, with TWC there is no 'extra cost' for the HD equipment, and I have a hell of a lot more than 6 HD channels.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:16 PM
<snip> you are a sucker for buying an HDTV.

Skip, I understand your bias, but stop with the FUD already!

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
If that is what it took, I would do it. Luckly, with TWC there is no 'extra cost' for the HD equipment, and I have a hell of a lot more than 6 HD channels.

Does your TM reciever have a built-in HDTV tuner, or does your television?

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Skip's right.

A cable modem is fine. Well that is until a few other people on your block get it and reduce your bandwidth.

With DSL, you get what you pay for.

This arguement is so old and tired.

First, we will forget that DLS's basic package is ~1.5mb/s downstream and TWCKC's is ~3.0mb/s down (bumped to 5.0 in February).

Second, unless you are hitting servers (web/game/whatever) that are inside your providers network it's all the same internet. Your 'local loop' offers way more capacity than 90% of the servers that you will ever connect to.

Thirdly, it's just wrong.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:23 PM
The FUD?

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:24 PM
How many do you have?

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Does your TM reciever have a built-in HDTV tuner, or does your television?

It is all handled via the HD Box supplied by TW at no additional cost (compared to non-hd equipment). All my HD Channels (including locals) are available. I actually have TWO HDTV's (one 57" and one 34"). One of my HD Boxes is a DVR. That beaut cost me a cool $0. The HDDirectTivo can be had for around $999.00, minus any rebates.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I believe TW is a switched network anyway (like Everest), so it doesn't matter if your neighbors get online.

I just talked to TW: it costs ~$5 a month for HDTV channels (there are a little over 12 now - the locals, Discover, ESPN, PPV, iD, and HBO/Showtime/Cinemax)

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
The FUD?

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

I'm afraid I'll be a sucker if I buy one, I'm not sure I'll get any channels, I doubt the picture is THAT much better.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 04:26 PM
FUD? You'll see better HDTV's at half the price in a couple of years. Everything electronic works like that. In 1983, I bought a calculator for $130. I bought one for a dollar at Wal-Mart the other day that will do more than the first one.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I believe TW is a switched network anyway (like Everest), so it doesn't matter if your neighbors get online.

I just talked to TW: it costs ~$5 a month for HDTV channels (there are a little over 12 now - the locals, Discover, ESPN, PPV, iD, and HBO/Showtime/Cinemax)
That sounds like what my buddy has (Phoenix Cox).

The local Fox affiliate just recently starting broadcasting in HD. And, I guess Cox recently added inHD2.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:27 PM

It costs $5 for the HDTV Package. Those are additional channels over the Locals and any Premium Channel HD versions.

The nice thing, is that if you get the HD DVR, you get the HD package for no additional cost.

A channel line up and price breakdown will follow.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
FUD? You'll see better HDTV's at half the price in a couple of years. Everything electronic works like that. In 1983, I bought a calculator for $130. I bought one for a dollar at Wal-Mart the other day that will do more than the first one.

So how does that make me a sucker for have HDTV's now? If I have disposable income, and PQ and DD5.1 are important to me, why should I wait?

FUD Example: I'm afraid that if I purchase now, something better/cheaper will be out next year.

Do you realize you can purchase a 32" HDTV for under $700??

Pants
12-15-2004, 04:30 PM
It costs $5 for the HDTV Package. Those are additional channels over the Locals and any Premium Channel HD versions.

The nice thing, is that if you get the HD DVR, you get the HD package for no additional cost.

A channel line up and price breakdown will follow.

I'll give it a year or two before the swicth happens in my house.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 04:33 PM

I'm actually ordering it right now :D

Glad this converstion came up... I've been thinking about it for a while, but kept forgetting to call for pricing.

MMMM, KU basketball in 65" widescreen HDTV goodness w/ Bob & Max on Dolby 6.1 surround..... kickass! :thumb:

Craash
No cost Channels:
1400 Time Warner Cable
1401 KCPT-DT
1411 WDAF-DT
1421 KMBC-DT
1441 KSHB-HD
1451 KCTV
1460 TNT HD

HD Package $5/mo
1500 Discovery HD Theater
1501 INHD
1502 INHD2
1503 HD Net
1504 HDNET Movies
1505 ESPN-HD

You get these HD Channels if you subscribe to the SD Version (No additional charge)
1700 HBO East High Definition
1701 HBO West High Definition
1740 Showtime High Definition
1741 Showtime High Definition

That is up to 11 no-additional-cost HD channels, and 17 channels if you shell out $5/month.

ENDelt260
Hell, the only TV I own is a 19 incher. (Well, and a 13 inch that doesn't work.)

It'll be longer than a year or two before I go HD. I'm pretty content with what I have.

Calcountry
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM

But the Fcc has rejected it. Ofcourse they have, it's run by big business republicans who reject anything that reduce cost or empowers people.

Espn is a MAJOR reason why cable always raises rates. Espn is charging more and more each year with their additions of NBA and other sports.

If the public were allowed to choose channels then prices would come down. But you see the cable companies need QVC and infomercial bullsh** channels to offset their expensive programming is what they say.

Now, now, don't just piss at all Republicans. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

I would prefer to NOT support MTV and all of their filthy Janet Jackson Tit shows.

I am sure there are many like me.

Choice is a good thing. Bunnytrdr=pro choice on TV.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM

Glad this converstion came up... I've been thinking about it for a while, but kept forgetting to call for pricing.

MMMM, KU basketball in 65" widescreen HDTV goodness w/ Bob & Max on Dolby 6.1 surround..... kickass! :thumb:

Go with the HD DVR (DVR service is 9/mo) and you will get the HD Package for no additional cost. The only downside is the Explorer 8000HD is not as 'stable' as the Explorer 3250 HD box.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Hell, the only TV I own is a 19 incher. (Well, and a 13 inch that doesn't work.)

It'll be longer than a year or two before I go HD. I'm pretty content with what I have.

I totally understand this viewpoint. I won't try to talk anyone into going HD, but I will defend it's merits and try to expose any inaccurate information.

Is it for everyone? No. But it IS the immediate future and there is nothing wrong with jumping on the 'ride' now.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
So how does that make me a sucker for have HDTV's now? If I have disposable income, and PQ and DD5.1 are important to me, why should I wait?

FUD Example: I'm afraid that if I purchase now, something better/cheaper will be out next year.

Do you realize you can purchase a 32" HDTV for under $700??
They always milk the "Keep up with the Jones'" crowd first. If you are one of them it's fine with me.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 04:38 PM
And this is why the Japanese build better electronics than we do.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
They always milk the "Keep up with the Jones'" crowd first. If you are one of them it's fine with me.

Skip, you disappoint me. I realize you are an older dish installer from Arkansas, but there isn't anything to be scared of, really!! It's just a better picture, and better sound, nothing alien about that!

:Poke:

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Now, now, don't just piss at all Republicans. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

I would prefer to NOT support MTV and all of their filthy Janet Jackson Tit shows.

I am sure there are many like me.

Choice is a good thing. Bunnytrdr=pro choice on TV.

Yep. 'Cept my wife would bitch at me because then she wouldn't be able to watch "Newlyweds" ROFL

I would love to be able to pick & choose channels. It will probably happen some day.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Go with the HD DVR (DVR service is 9/mo) and you will get the HD Package for no additional cost. The only downside is the Explorer 8000HD is not as 'stable' as the Explorer 3250 HD box.

Not getting the DVR... I don't record anything, so it does me no good ;)

Going to pick up my HDTV receiver now :D
kickass

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I would love to be able to pick & choose channels. It will probably happen some day.

I don't even know what all's out there. I'm content to just give the cableco a bunch of cash and say, "Gimme all of 'em."

Well, except the Latin Tier. I don't have much use for that.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't even know what all's out there. I'm content to just give the cableco a bunch of cash and say, "Gimme all of 'em."

It used to be the Latin Channel. Now there is an entire tier. NTTIAWWT.

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:48 PM
It used to be the Latin Channel. Now there is an entire tier. NTTAWWT.
Well, I am in Phoenix, after all.

Do they have the Latin Tier in KC, too?

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, I am in Phoenix, after all.

Do they have the Latin Tier in KC, too?

152 Cine Latino Mexico City - TV / Canal

153 Puma Venezuela - TV / Canal

154 Mun2 East - TV / Canal

155 MTV Spanish East

156 VH-1 En Espanol

157 Video Rola

158 Sorpresa - TV / Canal

159 SUR - TV / Canal

160 CNN Español - TV / Canal

161 Discovery en Español

162 Fox Sports Español - TV / Canal

163 Boomerang

164 EWTN Latin America - TV / Canal

165 La Familia

166 Utilisima - TV / Canal

ENDelt260
12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Crazy.

Craash
12-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Crazy.

My wife has talked about Pa-ho-nux for years (yes, even though I've warned her about you). If we were to ever move, at least we could count on the latin tier being the same.

penguinz
12-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Skip's right.

With DSL, you get what you pay for.That is a myth.

beavis
12-15-2004, 04:59 PM

I think you need to quit watching so much tv and get off your ass once in a while.

penguinz
12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
TWCKC's is ~3.0mb/s down (bumped to 5.0 in February).
Really? Is there a source stating this? Is the upstream staying at 384kb or is it increasing?

Craash
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Really? Is there a source stating this? Is the upstream staying at 384kb or is it increasing?

I read it here (http://www.betanews.com/article/Time_Warner_Boosts_Cable_Speeds/1103136374) first, then confirmed it with a source inside engineering at TWCKC. He stated that although he had heard Jan, he expected it to be February before it finished here.

Upstream? You sound like I did a year or so ago. Hosting a handful of sites can zap a 384kb connection pretty quick. Do what I did, check out a FR T1 from Birch.

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 05:09 PM
If we had broadband speeds of 20 megabits we could have all these channels over the net.

penguinz
12-15-2004, 05:09 PM
I have a really small site that uses no bandwidth. I am more concerned about upstream when it comes to working from home.

I can;t afford a T1. :(

Craash
12-15-2004, 05:10 PM
If we had broadband speeds of 20 megabits we could have all these channels over the net.

It (and more) is coming. FTH, my friend.

In the mean time, don't be afraid to enjoy what is currently available.

Calcountry
12-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Just think, if it weren't for them, where would the internet be??

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Cable a la carte wouldnt be cheaper right now. Its the same concept as buying in bulk, the more u buy the cheaper by unit it becomes. In the future however cable industry will be introducing VOD or video on demand or EOD where programming is basically stored in a server and you pick what u watch. That way bandwidth is saved and cost should be minimal.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Skip, you disappoint me. I realize you are an older dish installer from Arkansas, but there isn't anything to be scared of, really!! It's just a better picture, and better sound, nothing alien about that!

:Poke:
I'm also smart enough not to buy a new technology when it first comes out. Why are you so defensive? Because you know I'm right and you are trying to impress people?

Pants
12-15-2004, 05:23 PM

I hear Showmax has good shows on from 12am and on.

Pants
12-15-2004, 05:24 PM

:shake:

I hate you.

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
I like watching the Spanish language stations sometimes, especially when they have their game shows.

Sabodoooooo Giganteeeee!

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Cable a la carte wouldnt be cheaper right now. Its the same concept as buying in bulk, the more u buy the cheaper by unit it becomes. In the future however cable industry will be introducing VOD or video on demand or EOD where programming is basically stored in a server and you pick what u watch. That way bandwidth is saved and cost should be minimal.

Your way too trusting of the cable companies.

Their first mission is too squeeze as much blood money they can from you.

They might just raise prices instead.

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 06:39 PM
isnt any business out to make money?

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
isnt any business out to make money?

WE HAVE LAWS AGAINST GOUGING AND ARTIFICIALLY INFLATING PRICES.

Don't we have laws against monopolies ?

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
whos got a monopoly?

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
WE HAVE LAWS AGAINST GOUGING AND ARTIFICIALLY INFLATING PRICES.

Uh...I see you're new around here. Top Jet works for a cable company. Just thought you should know.

Fairplay
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Your way too trusting of the cable companies.
Their first mission is too squeeze as much blood money they can from you.

And to add insult to injury they will put your wife into prostitution and sell your kids on the black market.

Michael Michigan
12-15-2004, 07:01 PM
If you’re like me you have no option but satellite. No cable service, no DSL available.

I have DirecWay for my ISP along with DirecTV, but only because they have NFL Sunday ticket. I also have a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) with 4DTV so I have analog and digital on that system.

I can order programming either ala carte or in packages with the BUD. I use the BUD for my movie channels, HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Flix/Starz, for Hi-Def feeds, and for wild feeds.

My C-Band Hi-Def delivers the best picture with my C-Band analog a close second. Some Ku feeds are brilliant as well. The C-Band digitals are okay, but not as sharp as the analogs. Same with DirecTV.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 07:05 PM
If you’re like me you have no option but satellite. No cable service, no DSL available.

I have DirecWay for my ISP along with DirecTV, but only because they have NFL Sunday ticket. I also have a BUD (Big Ugly Dish) with 4DTV so I have analog and digital on that system.

I can order programming either ala carte or in packages with the BUD. I use the BUD for my movie channels, HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/Flix/Starz, for Hi-Def feeds, and for wild feeds.

My C-Band Hi-Def delivers the best picture with my C-Band analog a close second. Some Ku feeds are brilliant as well. The C-Band digitals are okay, but not as sharp as the analogs. Same with DirecTV.
If BUD's are so great why is it you can't give them away? I own one. You want it?

Michael Michigan
12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
If BUD's are so great why is it you can't give them away? I own one. You want it?

Is this like déjà vu all over again?

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM

BUD= Big Ugly Dish is the SH**. Very cool and better than cable(evil TimeWarner and all cable companies)

Why don't more in Kc and Burbs have it ?

And as for Top jet . It's funny the opposing forces you meet on a messageboard. If we ever come up with a cure for cancer , are we going to have complainers from the chemotherapy drug companies ?

Calcountry
12-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Yep. 'Cept my wife would bitch at me because then she wouldn't be able to watch "Newlyweds" ROFL

Yeah, like I could do without my cell phone if it weren't for the wife.

Craash
12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm also smart enough not to buy a new technology when it first comes out. Why are you so defensive? Because you know I'm right and you are trying to impress people?

Then you should have NO issue with buying one now. They are far from "new". In higher end stores, they equal if not outnumber SD sets. Wal-mart actually has more than a dozen models set up and on display! Does wal-mart say 'cutting edge' to you, Skip?

I'm only defensive when I find someone spewing mis-information about a topic I care about. Why are you so bent on talking bad about HD? It sure isn't because you know what you are talking about, at least on this topic.

First comes out. What a joke. Buzzzzz. Do you care to try again?

If you can't afford, or don't want a HD set that is one thing. I have no problem with that. But to stroll in and berate people who do choose to make the purchase is another. I've yet to determine your agenda, but I find it odd that it's so easy for you to make blanket statements that are so easily shown to be false.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 08:12 PM
I like watching the Spanish language stations sometimes, especially when they have their game shows.

Sabodoooooo Giganteeeee!
I like them for the big spanish titties.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 08:14 PM
If you can't afford, or don't want a HD set that is one thing. I have no problem with that. But to stroll in and berate people who do choose to make the purchase is another. I've yet to determine your agenda, but I find it odd that it's so easy for you to make blanket statements that are so easily shown to be false.
Old people, especially in this country, are afraid to adopt new technology. That is why Japan leads us in that market. People aren't afraid to adopt newer, better technology. Hell, cell phones in Japan are a good example. They can do 10 times the amount of things they can do here, but since the majority of the country here is "happy with what they have", its fine. It leads to higher costs of new technology, and slower adoption of newer tech and standards.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Then you should have NO issue with buying one now. They are far from "new". In higher end stores, they equal if not outnumber SD sets. Wal-mart actually has more than a dozen models set up and on display! Does wal-mart say 'cutting edge' to you, Skip?

I'm only defensive when I find someone spewing mis-information about a topic I care about. Why are you so bent on talking bad about HD? It sure isn't because you know what you are talking about, at least on this topic.

First comes out. What a joke. Buzzzzz. Do you care to try again?

Talk about spewing misinformation. I am in a much better position to judge the SD vs. HD ratio than you are. Out of approximately 2000 installs, 5 have been HD. SD outsells HD at least 20-1. You haven't shown anything to be false. All you are doing is posting your misinformed opinion. I'm stating what I'm seeing. Really, I don't care if you want to buy inferior merchandise at inflated prices to impress your brother-in-law. But you'll have to find someone else to argue with. You can shit the fans but you can't shit the players.

Craash
12-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Talk about spewing misinformation. I am in a much better position to judge the SD vs. HD ratio than you are. Out of approximately 2000 installs, 5 have been HD. SD outsells HD at least 20-1. You haven't shown anything to be false. All you are doing is posting your misinformed opinion. I'm stating what I'm seeing. Really, I don't care if you want to buy inferior merchandise at inflated prices to impress your brother-in-law. But you'll have to find someone else to argue with. You can shit the fans but you can't shit the players.

Being a dish installer qualifies you at nothing more than drilling holes and terminating RG6. Oh, I guess you have to read a compass too. It in no way qualifes you to make the comments concerning the HD TECHNOLOGY that you've made.

I have to impress no one, I just don't want anyone to be misled by "Skip the Dish installer."

Why don't you give a bulleted list of what you believe to be true about the technology. Not 'your personal installation history' - That's not a valid way to measure because honestly, I wouldn't have you install my HD gear either.

I re-read your post. How does HDTV, which offers more than twice the picture qualty, and DD5.1 qualify as "inferior merchandise" when compared to SD Sets?

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Being a dish installer qualifies you at nothing more than drilling holes and terminating RG6. Oh, I guess you have to read a compass too. It in no way qualifes you to make the comments concerning the HD TECHNOLOGY that you've made.

I have to impress no one, I just don't want anyone to be misled by "Skip the cable installer."

Why don't you give a bulleted list of what you believe to be true about the technology. Not 'you personal installation history' - because honestly, I wouldn't have you install my HD gear either.
You are a typical "hundred dollar millionaire". I am in a position to see who is buying what. You are not. You are just guessing. Our local Wal-Mart has ZERO HD units on display. BTW, I have been in the Satellite sales and service business since 1987 and currently operate an installation company that employs nine installers in 12 states. You have no case whatsoever other than your own opinion and therefore have no standing. I will not argue with a know nothing. You win. I will not reply to anything you post.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
You are a typical "hundred dollar millionaire". I am in a position to see who is buying what. You are not. You are just guessing. Our local Wal-Mart has ZERO HD units on display. BTW, I have been in the Satellite sales and service business since 1987 and currently operate an installation company that employs nine installers in 12 states. You have no case whatsoever other than your own opinion and therefore have no standing. I will not argue with a know nothing. You win. I will not reply to anything you post.
Zero? Must be a ghetto Wal*Mart. Even ours has quite a few.

Craash
12-15-2004, 08:43 PM

You make alot of assumptions, for not even knowing me or what I do. I just would like to point out that my issue isn't with what you believe people are buying, I only care about the comments you make on the merits of the technology. Obviously, people are buying, if not from you, then elsewhere. But that isn't where I take issue. See if this little skit helps.

Skip: People aren't buying HD stuff from me. I've only done 5 installs.
Me: Cool.
Skip: HD Technology is inferior and people who own it are suckers.
Me: Not cool.

See the difference?

As far as your local wally world, I'm not sure what to say about that. It's been along time since I've been in AR, so I'll take your word for it. But, www.walmart.com has 31 HD models. They have 20 analog models.

Edit:

Wow Skip. I wouldn't think you'd be one to neg. reg. and run. Don't worry, even though my 'stick' isn't as big, I returned the favor.

I'm still willing to talk facts about the technology, regardless of what you believe. Open your mind, HD is good!

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Old people, especially in this country, are afraid to adopt new technology. That is why Japan leads us in that market. People aren't afraid to adopt newer, better technology. Hell, cell phones in Japan are a good example. They can do 10 times the amount of things they can do here, but since the majority of the country here is "happy with what they have", its fine. It leads to higher costs of new technology, and slower adoption of newer tech and standards.

Actually, doesn't the cell phone issue have more to do with the communications "standard" selected when the cellular networks were originally built in each country, and the significant capital required to re-configure the U.S.?

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 08:53 PM

Want to part it out? :) One of our 4 got trashed in a storm. It doesn't pick up too well pointed down at the parking lot.

Miles
12-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Zero? Must be a ghetto Wal*Mart. Even ours has quite a few.

The one closest to me is pretty ghetto and not even super. Even it has a few and even a DLP model.

They may not be to the stage where everyone is buying them buy they are well past the early adapter stage. That was 4-5 years ago.

Pants
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
The one closest to me is pretty ghetto and not even super. Even it has a few and even a DLP model.

They may not be to the stage where everyone is buying them buy they are well past the early adapter stage. That was 4-5 years ago.

No, more like 2 years ago, if that. I'm waiting like Skip. Eventually better stuff will come out (better features on HD, that is, not a new tech) for less money, just like with everything else. I'm waiting for DLP or plasma to go down, HDTV's are nice, but plasma is better.

Craash
12-15-2004, 09:10 PM
No, more like 2 years ago, if that. I'm waiting like Skip. Eventually better stuff will come out (better features on HD, that is, not a new tech) for less money, just like with everything else. I'm waiting for DLP or plasma to go down, HDTV's are nice, but plasma is better.

Plasma's are as follows (not complete):

ED (extended def)
HD (Hi-def)

Plasma is a type of display, like crt, rptv, dlp, or lcd. HD is a type of broadcast/transmission.

headsnap
12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Ala carte Cable Tv could reduce cable costs
and monkeys could fly out of my butt!

some of you might be interested in buying a bridge...

Pants
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Plasma's are as follows (not complete):

ED (extended def)
HD (Hi-def)

Plasma is a type of display, like crt, rptv, dlp, or lcd. HD is a type of broadcast/transmission.

No shit, but when somebody says he/she is buying an HDTV they don't mean plasma. Just because it's inclusive doesn't make an HDTV an LCD/plasma TV.

Miles
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM

The major networks have been broadcasting in HD since 98/99 in larger markets. What they had to broadcast i have no idea but the sets were definitly being sold to Home Theater types.

Im also waiting for the DLP's to come down enough so i probably wont get one for a year or so. The CRT ones are just too heavy to deal with if you ever move. Especially if you dont live on the first floor.

Craash
12-15-2004, 09:18 PM
No shit, but when somebody says he/she is buying an HDTV they don't mean plasma. Just because it's inclusive doesn't make an HDTV an LCD/plasma TV.

Ok, I was under the impression you thought they were different when you said "HDTV's are nice, but plasma is better".

If I was mistaken, I apoligize. Hopefully, you can see how I came to that conclusion.

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Skip, if you have only done five hd installs out of 2000 then you are an anomoly, from the cable side we are doing quite a few hd installs and people love it. The channels are still limited but what they get the love.

tk13
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
HD and 5.1 are the way to go... I think both take the current state of entertainment and open them up into an entirely different universe. Especially 5.1... eventually we'll probably have surround systems truly become three-dimensional and have vertical speakers coming from the ceiling and floor. It takes the ability to create atmosphere to go along with the visual picture to a whole new level.

Craash
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
HD and 5.1 are the way to go... I think both take the current state of entertainment and open them up into an entirely different universe. Especially 5.1... eventually we'll probably have surround systems truly become three-dimensional and have vertical speakers coming from the ceiling and floor. It takes the ability to create atmosphere to go along with the visual picture to a whole new level.

Well said.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Skip, if you have only done five hd installs out of 2000 then you are an anomoly, from the cable side we are doing quite a few hd installs and people love it. The channels are still limited but what they get the love.
I don't listen to your opinion. You try to use words you can't spell. Like anomaly.

warpaint99
12-15-2004, 09:55 PM
I don't listen to your opinion. You try to use words you can't spell. Like anomaly.

Why don't you just correct everyones typos !

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Why don't you just correct everyones typos !
I see you are among the ignorant. There is a difference between a typo and a misspelling. Of course the difference is lost on you. Duh!!

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 10:10 PM
You sell a product that lies in commercials and you are correcting my spelling? You always get so dang defensive about this subject. Instead of arguing with logic you resort to name calling.

morphius
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Skip, what are the chances you do so few HD installs because Direct TV's HD options are more expensive then anyone else's options? Just a thought.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:24 PM
At my parents place we gad DirecTV for a long time...when they moved they got Dish Network. I have no idea why. But I enjoyed it over break. They got a new HDTV 51 inches. I am a big fan.

morphius
12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
At my parents place we gad DirecTV for a long time...when they moved they got Dish Network. I have no idea why. But I enjoyed it over break. They got a new HDTV 51 inches. I am a big fan.
Probably HDTV, Dish Network, which we all know Skip HATES with a passion, gives a lot of their HDTV stuff to you when you sign up as a new customer, while Direct TV rapes you.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Skip, what are the chances you do so few HD installs because Direct TV's HD options are more expensive then anyone else's options? Just a thought.
I think you are absolutely right. Because when Directv says "digital" they mean "digital". When cable says "digital" they mean "compressed analog" and only on a few channels. When Directv says DVR, they mean true TIVO. When cable says DVR they mean a cheap imitation of TIVO. So cheap they give it away. I don't think I need to defend Directv against cable on this board. If you differ start a poll.

morphius
12-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I think you are absolutely right. Because when Directv says "digital" they mean "digital". When cable says "digital" they mean "compressed analog" and only on a few channels. When Directv says DVR, they mean true TIVO. When cable says DVR they mean a cheap imitation of TIVO. So cheap they give it away. I don't think I need to defend Directv against cable on this board. If you differ start a poll.
I'm not trying to argue with you about, we know where you stand, I just figured Direct TV's upfront costs were very limiting to the customers, while the others are more inviting. I haven't used a Tivo or a knockoff version, but I have a feeling the knockoff are not going to be a whole lot different, since they make many similar programs that have more functionaly for the PC.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:35 PM
You sell a product that lies in commercials and you are correcting my spelling? You always get so dang defensive about this subject. Instead of arguing with logic you resort to name calling.
You are either very young, very ignorant or both. I do not consider you a worthy opponent as I have never seen a cogent thought come out of your mouth. Get a dictionary dipshit.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:42 PM
At my parents joint I have enver footed the bill for the TV but I know from an entertainment stand point I have enjoyed both...

TopJet2
12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
There you go proving my point. Is business bad right now? Is that the reason you're being such a prick? You can't honestly say that those commercials are not misleading. I just removed one or your "dtv" systems the other day. The reason? The reception was shit when it was raining and they were mislead on the price. Sound familiar jackass?
True tivo, as you put it is a friggin brand name. The dvr function is an electronic device with software,"dipshit". I guess by your standards a casio calculator is not a TRUE calculator since it is not a toshiba.

Pants
12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
True story, my neighbor used to have DirectTV but swicthed to Dish because it was cheaper. IMO Dish blows, I'm judging by the on screen menus here only, that's as deep as I looked into it. Oh, he has 3 dishes on the side of his house, looks like he's a freaking CIA outpost or some shit.

P.S. Stop arguing, both DirectTV and Dish suck, cable is the only way to go.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
True story, my neighbor used to have DirectTV but swicthed to Dish because it was cheaper. IMO Dish blows, I'm judging by the on screen menus here only, that's as deep as I looked into it. Oh, he has 3 dishes on the side of his house, looks like he's a freaking CIA outpost or some shit.

P.S. Stop arguing, both DirectTV and Dish suck, cable is the only way to go.
Oh, I can see you know a lot about it. You're what 19? I'd rather ask your daddy or whoever is paying your bills. Now tell us more about how clouds affect picture quality. Or better yet, why don't you confine your posts to something you know about. Oh, wait, then you couldn't post at all. SHUT_THE_FVCK_UP.

Logical
12-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

I'm afraid I'll be a sucker if I buy one, I'm not sure I'll get any channels, I doubt the picture is THAT much better.

I have seen the picture and compared to the picture on my 65 inch Mitsubishi Big Screen the picture is just not that much better. Not to spend the extra money on.

Pants
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
I have seen the picture and compared to the picture on my 65 inch Mitsubishi Big Screen the picture is just not that much better. Not to spend the extra money on.

Vlad, your TV has to be a high definition one to see the difference. The old big screens are not HDTV's.

Oh and Skip, lighten up Grandpa, I never said I knew shit about Satellite, all I know is they don't provide [affordable/fast] internet. You are taking this way too serious.

Logical
12-15-2004, 11:23 PM

Unless things have change they cost a fortune besides taking up vast amounts of yard space. I do not think it has anything to do with picture quality.

Logical
12-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Vlad, your TV has to be a high definition one to see the difference. The old big screens are not HDTV's.

Oh and Skip, lighten up Grandpa, I never said I knew shit about Satellite, all I know is they don't provide [affordable/fast] internet. You are taking this way too serious.

Mine is HDTV I guarantee it I just have never bought the HDTV tuner for it. It is only a little over a year old. I watched the HDTV at friends he has the same model as mine only he bought the HDTV receiver to go with it. He showed me the difference I was not impressed. I am not saying there is no difference just not enough to impress me.

morphius
12-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Mine is HDTV I guarantee it I just have never bought the HDTV tuner for it. It is only a little over a year old. I watched the HDTV at friends he has the same model as mine only he bought the HDTV receiver to go with it. He showed me the difference I was not impressed. I am not saying there is no difference just not enough to impress me.
Where you just watching a movie on it, or did you see some sports? I know Chiefs games in HDTV are wonderful.

Logical
12-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Where you just watching a movie on it, or did you see some sports? I know Chiefs games in HDTV are wonderful.

Movie on HBO HD

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 11:40 PM
The first thing I saw on HDTV was the Raiders beating the Broncos in the snow...it was a very entertaining and the picture was fantastic.

Pants
12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Oh me bad. 65" HD? That's hardcore, Vlad.

Michael Michigan
12-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Unless things have change they cost a fortune besides taking up vast amounts of yard space. I do not think it has anything to do with picture quality.

Vlad:

A BUD picture blows cable on a stick (Dish/DirecTV) or regular cable away.

It's not even close.

It was great to watch the KC/Tenn game ITC on a wild feed on T5 Tr 22 on Monday.

Big dish Hi-Def is even more brilliant.

And when did you begin caring if things "cost a fortune?"

;)

Logical
12-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Vlad:

A BUD picture blows cable on a stick (Dish/DirecTV) or regular cable away.

It's not even close.

It was great to watch the KC/Tenn game ITC on a wild feed on T5 Tr 22 on Monday.

Big dish Hi-Def is even more brilliant.

And when did you begin caring if things "cost a fortune?"

;)

For me it was not the cost but the yard space issue and Homeowner Covenents in our area. I guess my well off neighbors are too snobbish to allow the big dishes near them.

Michael Michigan
12-16-2004, 01:41 AM
For me it was not the cost but the yard space issue and Homeowner Covenents in our area. I guess my well off neighbors are too snobbish to allow the big dishes near them.

Bastards.

:cuss:

The acrerage surrounding the Michigan compund has no such restrictions.

I have the BUD around 100 foot from the house tucked between two Saguaro cacti and a DirecWay internet dish on the roof outside my office and a DirecTV dish on the other side on the roof on top of the den.

Bob Dole
12-16-2004, 07:59 AM
Dish vs. DirecTV vs. cable?

Two words.

Sunday Ticket.

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 09:30 AM
DTV has that advantage over everyone right now. Sunday Ticket is the shiznit. This is the first year I've gone without it..... not at all happy with the crappy way the networks handle the games. :(

Oh well, now I've got the HD Sports network :D

As for HDTV being "new" technology: bzzzzzt, wrong. The Japanese have been using HDTV for nearly a decade now. The technology is not new... just new to the 'States.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM

No.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Well... so far me, you, and Skip are the only three that I recall seeing express this opinion. Everyone else on here creams in the f*cking shorts over the HD picture.

Guess I'm just an old, crotchety bastard deep inside.

morphius
12-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Well... so far me, you, and Skip are the only three that I recall seeing express this opinion. Everyone else on here creams in the f*cking shorts over the HD picture.

Guess I'm just an old, crotchety bastard deep inside.
Maybe thats because you like to drink enough that you are used to everything being fuzy, so it really doesn't make a difference...

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Maybe thats because you like to drink enough that you are used to everything being fuzy, so it really doesn't make a difference...
Nah... like Jim clarified in his later post... I can see the difference. HD is obviously a nicer picture. But, the difference is nowhere near enough to justify the cost. IMO, anyway.

|Zach|
12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Guess I'm just old and crotchety deep inside.
Ew.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
I'd have to shell out $299 for a receiver and a dish.WTF?

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
LMAO. I've had digital cable for 2 years with no raises in cost, but keep believeing the commercials. Plus, Sunday Ticket is kinda expensive, innit? I live in KC/Lawrence so I don't face that issue.Not all Chiefs fans live in the KC area...

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Not for an HDTV receiver.Wait a year. They'll be much cheaper...possibly even free...

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Nah... like Jim clarified in his later post... I can see the difference. HD is obviously a nicer picture. But, the difference is nowhere near enough to justify the cost. IMO, anyway.

You must be getting a weak signal. The difference is HUGE; at least, on a bigscreen. My 65" Mitsubishi (WS65411) looks okay on regular programming, but crystal-clear in HDTV. The difference is quite remarkable. On a regular digital signal, it is hard/impossible to make out a player's name on their jersey. In HD, it's clear as day. :thumb:

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Nope, they're $500. And if you're broke, you have no business with an HDTV. And yes, you are a sucker for buying an HDTV.Nope, I checked. They are only $350. Still way too high.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 12:12 PM
You must be getting a weak signal. The difference is HUGE; at least, on a bigscreen. My 65" Mitsubishi (WS65411) looks okay on regular programming, but crystal-clear in HDTV. The difference is quite remarkable. On a regular digital signal, it is hard/impossible to make out a player's name on their jersey. In HD, it's clear as day. :thumb:

Maybe you just have shitty vision.

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Maybe YOU do!

And bad breath, too. :p

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Maybe YOU do!

And bad breath, too. :p
I can read player names on jerseys in non-HD just fine.

And, I brushed my teeth this month, thankyouverymuch.

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
For teams other than the Chiefs? I watched Sports Center in HD last night.... could finally make out the NBA players' names on their jerseys. On regular signal it's blurred/distorted (partial distortion from stretching the picture to fit the 16:9 frame for a 4:3 image)

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
You are a typical "hundred dollar millionaire". I am in a position to see who is buying what. You are not. You are just guessing. Our local Wal-Mart has ZERO HD units on display. My local Walmart has like a dozen...

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:32 PM
No shit, but when somebody says he/she is buying an HDTV they don't mean plasma. Why not?

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:37 PM
P.S. Stop arguing, both DirectTV and Dish suck, cable is the only way to go.The only thing I hate about DTV is their customer service. If you wanna compare DVRs, cable sux. TIVO is by far better...

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Movie on HBO HDNot the same. Watch a live broadcast. HUGE difference.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
For teams other than the Chiefs?

As long as they're in English.