PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for one?

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey guys I have been trying to learn how to cook lately. It has bene lots of fun but I kind of a problem because I am usually alone in my apartment when it comes time to make meals and most every recipe or any cooking related thing is made for a lot of people. When I try to adjust it I usually mess things up.

Do you fellas have any good books or just some things laying around of good meals that are made just for 1 person?

I would appreciate any help you could give me!

Bowser
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Go get some tupperware and eat leftovers, Senor Chef!

That means less dishes you have to clean! ;)

KC Dan
12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Hey guys I have been trying to learn how to cook lately. It has bene lots of fun but I kind of a problem because I am usually alone in my apartment when it comes time to make meals and most every recipe or any cooking related thing is made for a lot of people. When I try to adjust it I usually mess things up.

Do you fellas have any good books or just some things laying around of good meals that are made just for 1 person?

I would appreciate any help you could give me!
Two Words - FROZEN BURRITOS

ROFL

2bikemike
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Personally if I have to cook for one I just go out to eat. One thing if I were you I would ask for one of those vacuum packing deals. Make yourself up some burgers and stuff like that seal up the pack, freeze them and then break out what you need and cook them up.

You might be able to do all kinds of things like that so when you make a recipe for say 4 you will have 4 meals mostly prepared.

digi2fish
pasta ?
my favorite food

cook the source and you can save it in the freezer and heat it with the microwave oven for the next meal.

cdcox
Cook any recipie for 4. Eat half of it. Put the rest in the fridge and eat it again the next day.

|Zach|
Ya I have been trying to expand my horizons past toquitos...they are still fantastic though I have to admit.

Saulbadguy
I go to the local Indian store and pick up some indian meals ready to eat. They are surprisingly cheap, and pretty good. Bad part is they stink the house up.

As far as actually cooking things go, get a Foreman grill or something, throw a chicken breast on there, buy some ready-mixed spices on em, and go to town.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:08 PM
pasta ?
my favorite food

cook the source and you can save it in the freezer and heat it with the microwave oven for the next meal.
I make alot of pasta I have that taken care of.

I would like to get some good ideas for chicken in the oven.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:08 PM
As far as actually cooking things go, get a Foreman grill or something, throw a chicken breast on there, buy some ready-mixed spices on em, and go to town.
I should get one of those...

digi2fish
12-15-2004, 09:09 PM

well
go get a really small chicken...

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
I should get one of those...
The smallest one is 14.99 but opt for the larger grill size, trust me, its worth it.

cdcox
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM

Roast a whole chicken. Eat half of it. For the rest of it:

Make chicken salad or

Eat chicken sandwich or

Make chicken casserole (tetrazzini is good)

etc, etc, etc.

There are a billion things to do with leftover cooked chicken.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Roast a whole chicken. Eat half of it. For the rest of it:

Make chicken salad or

Eat chicken sandwich or

Make chicken casserole (tetrazzini is good)

etc, etc, etc.

There are a billion things to do with leftover cooked chicken.
Do those chickens come with directions with temp and time to prepare them?

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Another fun thing I like to do is make buffalo wings. Marinate them in beer, throw em in the fryer, get a big bowl and douse em in Franks Red hot, and I sometimes throw some crushed red pepper flakes in there as well, then toss them to perfection.

cdcox
12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Do those chickens come with directions with temp and time to prepare them?

If you really want to learn to cook, buy a copy of the Joy of Cooking. Start reading it in your free time, just browsing to see what looks interesting. Then, try what looks interesting. If you take a real interest in it, you will learn fast.

They have two pages devoted to roasted chicken. Very basics:

Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water. Dry with paper towels. Salt inside cavity and outside. Brush with 3 Tblsp melted butter. Bake in a shallow, lightly oiled pan in center of oven at 400F. 4 pound bird will take 55 to 65 minutes, but there are several doneness tests that should be done:

prick thigh: juices should run clear, not pink
thigh should register 170 - 180 on quick read thermomenter. Lower temperature for a juicy breast, higher temperature for meat more done.
Thigh should also wiggle a bit in its socket when you shake the drum stick.

Let stand 10-15 min before carving.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 09:25 PM
These guys are FOS. The Foreman grill creates dishes to wash. BAH! Get three things to avoid washing dishes. 1. A crockpot 2. A Frybaby and 3. A small charcoal grill for outside. With these you can make spaghetti, chili, roast beef, roast pork, meatloaf, grilled chicken, deep fried chicken, french fries, ham & beans and many many more dishes with very little clean up. I use the stovetop some to make a breakfast of (frozen) hashbrowns and eggs either scrambled, fried or poached. The stovetop involves washing dishes though. Oh, yeah, you can also make hamburgers or hamburger steak with fried potatoes & onion on the stovetop. I did that tonight.

Miles
12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Chicken Breast marinated in in some of the bottled marinade mix is pretty good. Just bake in the oven at 350 deg for about 10 minutes or so depending on how thick the breast is.

The Prudhomme marinades are probably my favorite and be sure to soak it for at least an hour.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
These guys are FOS. The Foreman grill creates dishes to wash. BAH! Get three things to avoid washing dishes. 1. A crockpot 2. A Frybaby and 3. A small charcoal grill for outside. With these you can make spaghetti, chili, roast beef, roast pork, meatloaf, grilled chicken, deep fried chicken, french fries, ham & beans and many many more dishes with very little clean up. I use the stovetop some to make a breakfast of (frozen) hashbrowns and eggs either scrambled, fried or poached. The stovetop involves washing dishes though. Oh, yeah, you can also make hamburgers or hamburger steak with fried potatoes & onion on the stovetop. I did that tonight.
I am a big roast beef fan...is that crock pot?

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with some of these questions. I am trying to learn :)

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Spaghetti in a crock pot?

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:28 PM
I am a big roast beef fan...is the crock pot?

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot with some of these questions. I am trying to learn :)
You just throw it in there, throw some shit in there, and set it..."and forget it!"

Easy.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
You just throw it in there, throw some shit in there, and set it..."and forget it!"

Easy.
Saul, this does not sound sanitary.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Saul, this does not sound sanitary.
Sure does sound tasty thought dunnit?

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Spaghetti in a crock pot?
Absolutely! My grandad was an Italian immigrant. I have a spaghetti recipe that will knock your eyes out. You can make it on the stovetop (It takes 3 hours) but you have to stir it every 5 minutes to keep it from burning and sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan. In a crockpot, you stir it every half hour. I would have thought you would have questioned meatloaf in the crockpot before spaghetti.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Absolutely! My grandad was an Italian immigrant. I have a spaghetti recipe that will knock your eyes out. You can make it on the stovetop (It takes 3 hours) but you have to stir it every 5 minutes to keep it from burning and sticking to the sides and bottom of the pan. In a crockpot, you stir it every half hour. I would have thought you would have questioned meatloaf in the crockpot before spaghetti.
How do you go about making the sauce?

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:38 PM
How do you go about making the sauce?
I use cans of peeled tomtatos, plus other various ingredients.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
I eat a ton of oat meal around here. For dinner type things I would say most frequently get the pasta (in varioues shapes) that has the meat or cheese inside...broil in for a little bit and add some alfredo or meat sauce. Looks like I am gonna do some good things from this thread though...

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Get a can of ARMOUR Chili. Eat the orange stuff on the top as a meal.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Next time to you go to WAL*MART go to the Jewish section and buy a can of Matzoh Ball soup. Trust me, they have a Jewish Section.

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Ramen Noodles.

Unless Time Warner has managed to have them removed from the stores in your town.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 09:58 PM
I am a big roast beef fan...is that crock pot?

I didn't get married until I was 28 then was divorced 24 years later, I can cook a lot of different foods with a minimum of clean up. I'd be glad to help you. Yes, roast beef in the crockpot is a staple of mine. Just boil a beef bouillion cube in a pint of water and put it and a 2 lb. roast in the crockpot and go to class, play golf, see a movie. When you get home, Voila, dinner is ready. I also add three or four cut up carrots and a cut up potato about an hour after starting the roast. Do the same with a delicious pork roast (They are even cheaper than beef). With beef, you can make a roast beef sandwich or an open faced beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and bread or roast beef with carrots and potatoes. I use the brown gravy packets from the store for the open faced sandwich.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I didn't get married until I was 28 then was divorced 24 years later, I can cook a lot of different foods with a minimum of clean up. I'd be glad to help you. Yes, roast beef in the crockpot is a staple of mine. Just boil a beef bouillion cube in a pint of water and put it and a 2 lb. roast in the crockpot and go to class, play golf, see a movie. When you get home, Voila, dinner is ready. I also add three or four cut up carrots and a cut up potato about an hour after starting the roast. Do the same with a delicious pork roast (They are even cheaper than beef). With beef, you can make a roast beef sandwich or an open faced beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and bread or roast beef with carrots and potatoes. I use the brown gravy packets from the store for the open faced sandwich.
That sounds great...the gravy only takes a few mins right? It would be the last thing.

bkkcoh
12-15-2004, 10:06 PM
That sounds great...the gravy only takes a few mins right? It would be the last thing.

Just add a little water and then let it come to a boil and then add a mizture of cold water mixed with corn starch and that will thicken it...

cdcox
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Pork roast is fantastic in the crock pot. Go for an 6-8 lb Boston Butt roast. Just throw it in the pot on low for 5-8 hours with a half a cup of water and salt and pepper.

You can make great enchiladas with the leftovers:

Fry a bit of garlic and onion in a small amount of oil. Add shedded pork roast and some oregano. Heat throgh.

Lay several spoons of pork mixture on a flour tortillia. Pour 1/3 cup or so of green salsa over pork. Roll tortillia. Moisten tops with more green salsa. Bake covered for 15 minutes at 350. Then cover with montery jack cheese and bake again till melted.

Pork freezes well too. Thaw, mix with BBQ sauce and microwave. Not Gates, but certainly edible.

bkkcoh
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
suate onions, mushrooms and place over baked potato with cheese and eat with grands biscuits (they come in
4 or 5 per can) quite good....

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Any of you do much with fish?

bkkcoh
12-15-2004, 10:11 PM

Does Mrs. Pauls count???? :thumb:

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Pork roast is fantastic in the crock pot. Go for an 6-8 lb Boston Butt roast. Just throw it in the pot on low for 5-8 hours with a half a cup of water and salt and pepper.

You can make great enchiladas with the leftovers:

Fry a bit of garlic and onion in a small amount of oil. Add shedded pork roast and some oregano. Heat throgh.

Lay several spoons of pork mixture on a flour tortillia. Pour 1/3 cup or so of green salsa over pork. Roll tortillia. Moisten tops with more green salsa. Bake covered for 15 minutes at 350. Then cover with montery jack cheese and bake again till melted.

Pork freezes well too. Thaw, mix with BBQ sauce and microwave. Not Gates, but certainly edible.
I agree except Zach is wanting to cook for one. He needs a small (2 1/2 quart crockpot I think) and a 2 lb roast. Any bigger than that and he will be eating it for three weeks.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I do the gravy in the microwave while the potatoes are boiling on the stove. I use a glass measuring cup for this. Put 1/2 cup of water in (cold) and mix in half the pack of gravy mix while stirring. Then give it 45 sec. remove and stir then another 30 sec. and stir. Then I make the sandwich and eat it till I'm stuffed and then I take a nap.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
I really appreciate all the help folks!

bkkcoh
12-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I do the gravy in the microwave while the potatoes are boiling on the stove. I use a glass measuring cup for this. Put 1/2 cup of water in (cold) and mix in half the pack of gravy mix while stirring. Then give it 45 sec. remove and stir then another 30 sec. and stir. Then I make the sandwich and eat it till I'm stuffed and then I take a nap.

They sell the gravy in a can or a jar at the grocery store that is decent and real easy, just heat it up.

Count Alex's Losses
12-15-2004, 10:26 PM
I use cans of peeled tomtatos, plus other various ingredients.

Wow, I had no idea you were a fag.

ChiefsFire
12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Zach,
word of advice...
find a really hot girl who loves to cook..
then your all set

Rausch
12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Make things like soup, hamburgers, chili, pasta, etc. that can be rewarmed quickly and eaten later.

When I was single I'd take a package of Ramen noodles, 1 boneless chicken breast, and use a potato peeler to toss in some carrot or zuchini strips. Egg makes great filler too...

elvomito
12-16-2004, 01:01 AM
spaghetti
a few red baron mini deep dish pizzas
george forman grill and... anything

badgirl
12-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Well the left over idea sounds good, but I can't imagine cooking for 1 person, I used to cook for my first husband who was a big eater and my 3 kids, and anyone else who happened to drop by at dinner time, then I got divorced and still cooked the same amount, Now there are 4 of us here 3 which are guys I might add, and I still cook too much, i have a lot of left overs after supper. Last Thanksgiving, i cooked and fed 10 people at my house and there was enough food left to have fed 3 families a full dinner plus desert, its hard to cook smaller amounts when your used to cooking so much, to cook for one is unbeleivable, if I were alone, I would probably eat out, it would be cheaper than wasting all the food I'd end up throwing out. :) :p

Bob Dole
12-16-2004, 07:02 AM

Bob Dole eats tilapia filets frequently.

You can pan fry them in olive oil and butter with some lemon pepper or whatever suits your fancy, or bread them (egg, flour and cornstarch). You can substitute tilapia for flounder in just about any recipe and it's less expensive.

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 07:16 AM
When buying a crockpot, get one that has a removable pot. Some of them are one piece and it makes them too big to go in the fridge.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Buy a bag of frozen tilapia filets, or salmon filets. Easy. I don't bread em, but I just fry em, or foreman em.