PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only Notre Dame fan here?

ILChief
12-16-2004, 07:18 AM
just wondering. I admit some Notre Dame fans get upset over trivial crap like Jordan Black, but I don't remember seeing any other Notre Dame fans in here. If not, who does everyone root for in college FB or is it all Big XII fans?

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Kansas State and Kansas here. There are some KU fans (although mostly basketball fans), MU fans, NU fans, OU fans.

There is even a Syracuse fan, and a Memphis fan.

I think Jim (Vlad) is a Notre Lame fan.

cadmonkey
12-16-2004, 07:21 AM
I grew up as an Irish Fan. My father and Grandfather used to watch them every Saturday. I am not as big of a fan as I used to be, back when they had Rocket Ishmal and that nasty DT Zorich.

I am more of a Hurricanes fan now, but the Irish will always have a place in my heart!

Frosty
12-16-2004, 07:24 AM
If not, who does everyone root for in college FB or is it all Big XII fans?

Oregon State fan here.

We are going to crush you.

Again. :D

arc
Can't help himself :)

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 07:24 AM
I am more of a Hurricanes fan now, but the Irish will always have a place in my heart!

That is a sacrilege

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't follow college football, but if I did I'd root for Kansas. I don't mind that K-State is pretty good.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 07:29 AM
I don't follow college football, but if I did I'd root for Kansas. I don't mind that K-State is pretty good.
As I said before..

Most KU fans don't care about Football, most KSU fans don't care about basketball.

Although, I believe things are changing on both fronts...

nmt1
12-16-2004, 07:32 AM
I'm a Virginia fan first and foremost but I follow K-State some too. I kinda like Georgia, Auburn and Miami. Not sure why I like Georgia and Auburn but I think the reason I like Miami is they usually beat Virginia Tech which I can't stand.

cadmonkey
12-16-2004, 07:33 AM
That is a sacrilege

Funny thing about why I started liking the Canes. There colors are the same as the Irish flag, Green, White and Orange. I just started liking the team after that.

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 07:33 AM
As I said before..

Most KU fans don't care about Football, most KSU fans don't care about basketball.

There were just as many K-State basketball fans as KU fans during the Hartman era. They just don't like your product today.

Mr. Kotter
12-16-2004, 07:38 AM
We hate Catholics here. :cuss:

j/k, not really.

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Funny thing about why I started liking the Canes. There colors are the same as the Irish flag, Green, White and Orange. I just started liking the team after that.
Did you consider that they are a gang of thugs?

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Skip - if someone choses to be a fan of a team because of their colors, they wouldn't care if they were called "The Los Angeles Ghey Caballeros".

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 07:47 AM
As I said before..

You may have a point there but I've just never found college football very interesting. Don't really know why.

When it comes to basketball though, the college game is much better in general.

cadmonkey
12-16-2004, 07:49 AM

They sure are, and they produce some of the best college football year in and year out. Never mind you could easily make a Pro Bowl team with the athletes the have given NFL over the past 15 years.

cadmonkey
12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Skip - if someone choses to be a fan of a team because of their colors, they wouldn't care if they were called "The Los Angeles Ghey Caballeros".

I liked them because of their colors when I was like 10 years old. I like them because of their talent now.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 07:52 AM
There were just as many K-State basketball fans as KU fans during the Hartman era. They just don't like your product today.
Yep. That is true. Like I said though, I think things are changing.

ILChief
12-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Oregon State fan here.

We are going to crush you.

Again. :D

arc
Can't help himself :)

I don't doubt it with the transition team we're fielding

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Yep. That is true. Like I said though, I think things are changing.
That would be OK with me. I liked the rivalry.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:01 AM
That would be OK with me. I liked the rivalry.
This Saturday should be a good measuring stick to see how this pathetic fan base in Manhattan responds to being 6-0 after a HUGE win @Wyoming (8 points in a 1:15 to win the game).

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
All of my family is from Oklahoma so Iím an OU fan by default, although Iíll root for just about any Big XII team particularly when the doe pop a Floridah team.

oldandslow
12-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Sooner fan...

Always have been, always will be.

Oklahoma is and has been among the top 3 football programs in the nation.

We WILL crush USC on Jan 4

Garcia Bronco
12-16-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm a Virginia fan first and foremost but I follow K-State some too. I kinda like Georgia, Auburn and Miami. Not sure why I like Georgia and Auburn but I think the reason I like Miami is they usually beat Virginia Tech which I can't stand.

I heard that! :)

nmt1
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
I heard that! :)

I thought you'd hear it even though I tried to whisper...:D

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Haha. Go Chokies.

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Sooner fan...

Always have been, always will be.

Oklahoma is and has been among the top 3 football programs in the nation.

We WILL crush USC on Jan 4

Yup, there gonna wear that Sooner Schooner out. ;)

Frosty
12-16-2004, 08:08 AM
I don't doubt it with the transition team we're fielding

Man, you take all the fun out of woofin'. :harumph:

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be closer than what I would like. ND looks like they have an okay defense and the Beavs have no running game this year, putting a lot of pressure on Derrick Anderson.

I'm hoping the turmoil factor for ND plays big in this game.

morphius
12-16-2004, 08:11 AM
In HS I was a Sooner fan, now I just generally root for the big 12 schools, but prefer the old big 8 teams to succeed. I have hated Notre Dame since I was a little kid, I hated that they were always on TV, and I thought the solid gold helmets were the lamest design ever.

Lzen
12-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Kansas Jayhawks fan here. Both in football and basketball.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
hate notre dame..
..but liked making them bend over with the urban meyer deal

Gators baby! :-)

Swanman
12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Illinois Fighting Illini fan & alum here. Maybe with Zook at the helm we'll actually have a football program to go with our basketball program.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Illinois Fighting Illini fan & alum here. Maybe with Zook at the helm we'll actually have a football program to go with our basketball program.
You'll get good recruiting. Unless he learned his lesson at Florida, then be prepared for playing not to lose. That was his downfall at Florida, IMO. He was too conservative and didn't play to win. Only once he was fired did he open up the playbook, take chances, and have a put-em-away instinct.

Swanman
12-16-2004, 08:53 AM
You'll get good recruiting. Unless he learned his lesson at Florida, then be prepared for playing not to lose. That was his downfall at Florida, IMO. He was too conservative and didn't play to win. Only once he was fired did he open up the playbook, take chances, and have a put-em-away instinct.

I've been hearing a lot of comments like that about Zook. To be honest, I'll be happy if he can just get some talent on the field, because we have not had that, esp. on defense, in a number of years. At Florida, he was probably always looking over his shoulder due to expectations being so high. At Illinois, he'll get at least 4 years to turn the program around. Ron Turner was the first coach that our AD had to fire before his contract is up, and it is a fact that he hates firing coaches, so Zook is safe for at least a few years so hopefully he'll be relaxed and open up the playbook. He's already stated that he wants to play a wide-open offense and defense. If he gets Illinois to 6-5 next year, they'll be naming campus buildings after him (slightly lower expectations than Florida).

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm a fan of that great college in Columbia. :deevee: That being said I have decided to become a bigger fan of my college, Missouri State University (aka SMS). :)

But I will root for any Big 12 school, especially against Florida State and Miami. Hate those 2 schools with a passion. And in BB against North Carolina and Duke. Hate those 2 schools with a passion. Those schools are the biggest bandwagon fans of any in the nation. Go Big 12!!

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm a ND fan, but a KU fan first & foremost. If the two played, I'd pull for the Jayhawks.

I was not happy with the Willingham decision, and was disturbed by the bungling of the whole incident. They fired him thinking Meier was a lock without verifying first. Stupid.

I was pissed when they pushed Lou Holtz out... that man can coach!! I loved his domer teams in the 90s; some of the most brilliant blocking schemes and running plays I've ever seen. A lot of people were turned off by that: want to see a pass-fest. Holtz knew how to run the damn ball down the opponents' throat, then bash 'em on defense. God, I loved it :)

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm a ND fan, but a KU fan first & foremost. If the two played, I'd pull for the Jayhawks.

"Might as well put your ND jersey next to your Rams jersey, Patriots jersey, etc etc..."

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 09:38 AM
"Might as well put your ND jersey next to your Rams jersey, Patriots jersey, etc etc..."

:spock:

I went to school there, dumbass. (well, just a semester, but I still attended)

shaneo69
12-16-2004, 09:39 AM
When I was kid, I was a big fan of the John Robinson-led USC Trojans with Charles White and Marcus Allen. Then when Robinson left, I kind of started following the Fighting Illini, because I lived on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro area. They had some great QB's during the Mike White tenure like David Wilson, Tony Eason, Jack Trudeau, Jeff George, and Jason Verduzco. But when I started going to Illinois State University, I became anti-Illini.

During these years, I had always rooted for Notre Dame to lose, because I couldn't stand Lou Holtz. But once Holtz left and ND came back down to earth, I kinda started rooting for them, and that Rudy movie also helped turn me into a fan.

After I was done with college, I moved to the Missouri side of the St. Louis area and became a Mizzou fan when Corby Jones brought the program back. And I've rooted for them ever since.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 09:45 AM
:spock:

I went to school there, dumbass. (well, just a semester, but I still attended)
Just poking at fun at you. I seem to remember the same stupid comment coming from your fingers awhile back.. :p

HC_Chief
12-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Just poking at fun at you. I seem to remember the same stupid comment coming from your fingers awhile back.. :p

Did you go to KSU, but were raised a Jayhawk fan? If not, you deserve the shit you get for being both a Jayhawk and mildkitten fan.... it's not natural!! :p

FWIW, it's no big deal. I lived in SB for a semester after HS in 'glorious' Flanner Hall. Spent most of my time getting wasted and not attending classes. Then they decided to close the residence and move everyone to a new residence (and split up all the partiers). Came back home to be a bum :D (besides, tuition was insane and I wasn't taking shit seriously then... the whole experience is a fuzzy blur now)