PDA

View Full Version : Imminent doom in t - 4 hours

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I'm not religious, but pray for me.
I'm not superstitious but cross your fingers for me ;)

I have a final in 4 hours, I've gone to 5 classes out of around 22 and have studied a total of 2 hours while playing poker.

It's a natsci course so I'm relying on the power of logic to get me through a predominantly multiple choice exam. it's worked for me so far, we've had 4 multiple guess quizzes (the classes I showed up for) and have an A average, but I studied a little for those.

anyways wish me luck. :D

Frosty
12-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Hey, that's how I got through my psych classes (all A's).

Garcia Bronco
12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
cheat

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Wow..........That was really worth your daddy's tuition.

I'll bet you learned ALOT.

gblowfish
12-16-2004, 08:58 AM
What're you doin' screwin' around on chat board when you SHOULD BE STUDYING for your final????

Geez Louise!

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Wow..........That was really worth your daddy's tuition.

I'll bet you learned ALOT.

hey, my "daddy" nor "mommy" have given me a single red cent, I've lived on my own since the day I turned 18, and worked 4 years to bankroll an education. So shove it.

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
At least your making the most out of that hard earned money.

Maybe the Prof will find out you've got the tests at home, or see your crib sheet.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Finals :(

I have a final in 1.5hrs in Solid-State Electronic Devices
Another tonight at 8 in Electric Energy
And the last tomorrow in Electromagnetic Fields and Applications

:shake:

then I get to go home

:)

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
What're you doin' screwin' around on chat board when you SHOULD BE STUDYING for your final????

Geez Louise!

I am studying, I just can't focus on this crap its all... math and stuff, I hate math :D

luckily the prof is really nice and is only making about 25% of the exam math, when 70% of the course is math. so I get to ignore all the math and memorize terms and stuff. I'm starting to realize most of it is common sense, and I have a solid background in some of the stuff, aircraft engines/theory of flight type stuff.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 09:05 AM
I am studying, I just can't focus on this crap its all... math and stuff

ROFL

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:06 AM
At least your making the most out of that hard earned money.

Maybe the Prof will find out you've got the tests at home, or see your crib sheet.

hehe outside of the cheating, that one I can't deny.

this is really the only course I've slacked on... so far I'm 4.0. This final might make me get a B or even a C if I really bomb it, but it won't drop my overall GPA too much.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 09:08 AM

I have a final in 4 hours, I've gone to 5 classes out of around 22 and have studied a total of 2 hours while playing poker.

It's a natsci course so I'm relying on the power of logic to get me through a predominantly multiple choice exam. it's worked for me so far, we've had 4 multiple guess quizzes (the classes I showed up for) and have an A average, but I studied a little for those.

Can I have your money when you die?

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Can I have your money when you die?

at least I can take it as a compliment that you assume I'm a "good" poker player :P

I actually lost my ass today. Luckily I only played on the $.50 and/$1 limit tables and just folded off and checked big blinds for the most part, every hand I could play I ended up getting trapped. lost 50 bucks. :cuss:

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe if you'd gone to the math class more and cheated a little less, you'd understand the odds a little better and fold/win more poker hands.

Canadians........eh

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Maybe if you'd gone to the math class more and cheated a little less, you'd understand the odds a little better and fold/win more poker hands.

Canadians........eh

I agree... Canadians eh

Frosty
12-16-2004, 09:23 AM

Easy

Not too bad

:hmmm: Is this like Electric Machines or more like Antenae theory. The former wasn't bad, but I hated the latter.

Third year EE?

Frosty
12-16-2004, 09:27 AM

I graduated 10 years ago and I still sometimes have dreams that it's the day before finals and I've only been to class once and need this class to graduate.

I only did that a few times and it still sticks with me. :shrug:

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:29 AM

:shake:

then I get to go home

:)

yeah... your a lot worse off then I am!

one today one tomorrow and I'm done, going home for Christmas! woohoo.

Good luck on your finals that I'm sure you've left for allready

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 09:30 AM
yeah... your a lot worse off then I am!

one today one tomorrow and I'm done, going home for Christmas! woohoo.

Good luck on your finals that I'm sure you've left for allready

shouldn't you be studying? ;)

Nice little town, Sturgis. Have fun going home! Hope you have snow to ski and 'bile on! :thumb:

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
shouldn't you be studying? ;)

Nice little town, Sturgis. Have fun going home! Hope you have snow to ski and 'bile on! :thumb:

I am studying I am!

all the notes are online

http://natserver.nats.yorku.ca/%7Enats1790/theory/theory_notes.html

see!

ask me a question! ask me anything!

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 09:37 AM
ask me a question! ask me anything!

What was the name of the p0rn movie that they went to watch in American Warewolf in London?

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
See you next Wednesday

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
thanks pty, that question just boosted my confidence tenfold, I got it covered :d

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
See you next Wednesday

You win a cookie!

And rep.

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 09:49 AM
You win a cookie!

And rep.

YAY a cookie!

That one better be on the exam

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Please tell me you are not Pre med.

No wonder all our doctors names are now Singh.

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I am studying, I just can't focus on this crap its all... math and stuff, I hate math :D

luckily the prof is really nice and is only making about 25% of the exam math, when 70% of the course is math. so I get to ignore all the math and memorize terms and stuff. I'm starting to realize most of it is common sense, and I have a solid background in some of the stuff, aircraft engines/theory of flight type stuff.
Buddy,

What is your major?

If it is anything in the sciences, then you better learn a new appreciation and affection for math.

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
I graduated 10 years ago and I still sometimes have dreams that it's the day before finals and I've only been to class once and need this class to graduate.

I use to have those, but they suddenly stopped about 8 years ago.

Now, I just have dreams that I pissed a customer off and they go yelling and screaming out of my store, threatening to sue, and tell everyone in town that I am the biggest jerk arround.

Then I wake up and go, whew, only a dream. I know never to do that in the store. ;)

alanm
12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
What was the name of the p0rn movie that they went to watch in American Warewolf in London?Ah... Damn it I know that one..... Aw Hell, give me a hint?....

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
The only class I can recall screwing off to that degree in was a statistics class I took. IIRC, my strategy was pretty much just to show up to class on the days he returned homework assignments. Granted, I never did the homework, I just wanted the answer sheet. The tests were open notes, so I basically just had all the answer sheets out, and tried to find a problem on the answer sheet similar to the one I was looking at on the test. Then, I tried to make the work look similar.

Managed to get a B or a C out of that class, as I recall. And, I never learned a damned thing.

Screw statistics.

Oh, and FTR, I was wasting the State of Missouri's money on the tuition for that course. I wouldn't have done it, but they were the ones who said I had to take it in the first place...

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
The only class I can recall screwing off to that degree in was a statistics class I took. IIRC, my strategy was pretty much just to show up to class on the days he returned homework assignments. Granted, I never did the homework, I just wanted the answer sheet. The tests were open notes, so I basically just had all the answer sheets out, and tried to find a problem on the answer sheet similar to the one I was looking at on the test. Then, I tried to make the work look similar.

Managed to get a B or a C out of that class, as I recall. And, I never learned a damned thing.

Screw statistics.

Oh, and FTR, I was wasting the State of Missouri's money on the tuition for that course. I wouldn't have done it, but they were the ones who said I had to take it in the first place...
You are definitely more than 3 standard DEVIATIONS from the mean. ;)

StcChief
12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Wait till you get out and half to use it.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Easy

Not too bad

:hmmm: Is this like Electric Machines or more like Antenae theory. The former wasn't bad, but I hated the latter.

Third year EE?

4th year. SS wasn't too bad. That's actually one of the classes I've enjoyed.

E&M is a course that shouldn't be hard. Its transmission lines, electrostatics, magnetostatics, time-varying fields, and plane-wave propagation with some applications. Just not into it, which makes it more difficult to study for.

Power is a worthless course (because I'm not taking anymore power courses). It's extremely boring. Only covers magnetic circuits, transformers, induction machines, synchronous machines.

The best course of the semester was Digital Logic/Computer Systems. That course was cool, and the lab was (although time consuming) fun. We started from basic logic design and implementation and worked our way up to microprocessors and GCPUs. It's a lead-in course to futures courses like digital design, microprocessors, and machine intelligence.

Next semester is electronic circuits 1 (where I'll get to implement solid-state devices), solid-state technology (where I learn how to fabricate solid-state devices), linear control systems, and data and networking communications.

I'm putting micro-P off until next year ;)

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Wait till you get out and half to use it.
Listen to the voice of experience here. I'm sure back in the day nm_dbf thought his English class was worthless as well.

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Speaking of blowing off a class...

For some reason as an accounting major, I was required to take a 'finance' class. For us accounting geeks, the old joke was, what do you call a failed accounting major--a finance major.

Anyway, I didnt bother to take it until after I had completed the vast majority of accounting major classes--all of the intermediates, BLaws I and II, and audit/tax/cost acct, etc.

This class was a fugging joke. It was like going from highschool algebra to first grade math.

There were 3 other fellow accounting majors who also were taking the class at the same time...after the first week, we only bothered to show up on 'test' day.

chiefsfan58
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Hahaha... I went to a total of two of my physics classes this semester... oops. :p

Fairplay
12-16-2004, 02:50 PM
hey, my "daddy" nor "mommy" have given me a single red cent, I've lived on my own since the day I turned 18, and worked 4 years to bankroll an education. So shove it.

Props to you.

Frosty
12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
4th year. SS wasn't too bad. That's actually one of the classes I've enjoyed.

E&M is a course that shouldn't be hard. Its transmission lines, electrostatics, magnetostatics, time-varying fields, and plane-wave propagation with some applications. Just not into it, which makes it more difficult to study for.

Okay, that's what I thought. That was one of my least favorite classes. Partly because it wasn't in my field of interest but mostly because a TA from India taught it. The guy barely spoke english, gave assignments out books we didn't use, and was generally terrible as an instructor.

Transmission line theory is the only thing I have used since (does anyone use Smith charts anymore?).

Power is a worthless course (because I'm not taking anymore power courses). It's extremely boring. Only covers magnetic circuits, transformers, induction machines, synchronous machines.

This sounds like the Electric Machines classes I took. I use quite a bit of that even though I'm not a power engineer.

The best course of the semester was Digital Logic/Computer Systems.

Sounds like you are maybe specializing in the solid-state design?

I was originally going to go into power engineering. However, those courses were taught by this fossil that had been there since time immemorial and was a pure theory guy (never worked in industry).

One of the first assignments he gave was to model the power grid with a program written in Fortran. Everyone in the class was saying "Fortran, WTF?".

I made a move into control systems and power electronics.

I'm putting micro-P off until next year ;)

Microprocessors? I put that class off 'til my final term because I had heard all of the horror stories. Turned out that I really enjoyed it and did well. In fact, that's what I do now - write and design control systems for environment controls.

If I could do it again, I would have taken more micro classes, a LOT more analog design and paid more attention in control systems.

Fairplay
12-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Heres a run of the mill practice question for you. No cheating please!

Think you're ready for the test?

4. A light aircraft with a gross weight of 2576 lbf has a takeoff speed of 75 statute
miles/hour. If the effectively constant, accelerating power of the engine during the
takeoff is 10 HP, the time required for the takeoff is:
a) 41 sec
b) 60 sec
c) 55 sec
d) 88 sec
e) 120 sec

Frosty
12-16-2004, 02:59 PM
For us accounting geeks, the old joke was, what do you call a failed accounting major--a finance major.

When I was in school, I went into the credit union to apply for a loan to get a computer. While talking to the suit behind the desk, he asked me what my major was. I told him "engineering" and he looked at me sagely and said "Ahhh, pre-business". ROFL

I actually went the other way. Started in accounting - hated it - then decided I was going to teach math. While taking all these high end math classes with the engineers, I reevaluated whether I had the patience to teach (no) and made a lateral move into engineering.

Should of stayed a teacher. Would have made more money and had my summers off. :(

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Should of stayed a teacher. Would have made more money and had my summers off. :(

??? Than a double E? (Sorry if I misread your posts and you're not a EE... I was just skimming.)

Frosty
12-16-2004, 03:09 PM
??? Than a double E? (Sorry if I misread your posts and you're not a EE... I was just skimming.)

Yeah, I'm an EE.

The average wages for teachers in the little schools around here (eastern WA) is 48K. As a 10 year EE, I make about 50K but with no where near the benefits and time off (summer and holidays).

I could make more if I lived in Seattle but 4 hour commutes and $400K dumps for homes don't appeal to me.

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Transmission line theory is the only thing I have used since (does anyone use Smith charts anymore?).

No.

This sounds like the Electric Machines classes I took. I use quite a bit of that even though I'm not a power engineer.

They have another course after this one that's electric machines. My advisor said its a good course, but its taught by the same professor who's teaching power now and he's horrible.

Sounds like you are maybe specializing in the solid-state design?

Maybe. I hope to find my niche. I'll see how E-Circuits goes. If I still like it then there's E-Circuits 2 and DIC.

Microprocessors? I put that class off 'til my final term because I had heard all of the horror stories. Turned out that I really enjoyed it and did well. In fact, that's what I do now - write and design control systems for environment controls.

If I could do it again, I would have taken more micro classes, a LOT more analog design and paid more attention in control systems.

That's cool. I've heard MicroP is difficult, but a fun course kind of like digital logic has been. I just don't want to take that with E-Circuits which I need to take this semester. Next year I want to get into a program at UF called IPPD (Integrated Product and Process Design) where E-Circ 1 is a prereq for the EE's. IPPD is a year-long course (6 credits) where students work in multidisciplinary engineering teams with a faculty 'coach' to design and build products for sponsoring companies (Dell, Harris, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, etc.). It also satisfies senior design, which is nice ;)

As far as control systems, when I was speaking to many companies at our career showcase this semester a great number of them were asking if I'd taken controls yet, which they didn't ask much about the previous year. I made a note to definately take it the next semester.

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Heres a run of the mill practice question for you. No cheating please!

Think you're ready for the test?

4. A light aircraft with a gross weight of 2576 lbf has a takeoff speed of 75 statute
miles/hour. If the effectively constant, accelerating power of the engine during the
takeoff is 10 HP, the time required for the takeoff is:
a) 41 sec
b) 60 sec
c) 55 sec
d) 88 sec
e) 120 sec

____

hmm... I had a question very similar to that one on the test, but not using HP, I can't do that without going to my notes. We were taught horsepower, mass of aircraft, take off speeds etc... but she never had us actually convert a constant horsepower into a unit of acceleration. So I'd have to get a more solid understanding of the two before I could combine them.

and besides, Exam is over ;) I think I did really well, got an A for sure. maybe a low A but an A.

and for whoever mentioned it, no I'm an English Major and history minor. This is one of the "foundations" courses that the university requires. I took it because I already have experience with the science of flight since I maintain aircraft, but as a maintainer you never worry about things like the question above.

And just taking a stab in the dark, but 10HP isn't a lot, if it were a question on the exam I would have guessed 55 seconds, because I would imagine it was a lot longer, but 122 and 88 seconds to take off makes for a pretty long runway. Like I've mentioned before, math isn't my strong suit, but logic is. heh on a large portion of the exam there were math questions that were obviously linked. like "using the previous question... yada yada" so I just took the answers to the two questions and started multiplying or dividing them using the known values until I got an answer set that corresponded. two answers, one equation instead of like 15... 1/10th the time... Logic, not math ;)

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Buddy,

What is your major?

If it is anything in the sciences, then you better learn a new appreciation and affection for math.

I appreciate math! I appreciate that I don't have to do it after this class!
and I appreciate the math that adds up to the sum of my paycheck, but I definately hate the math that calculates the sum of my tuition.

Frosty
12-16-2004, 03:44 PM
That's cool. I've heard MicroP is difficult, but a fun course kind of like digital logic has been. I just don't want to take that with E-Circuits which I need to take this semester. Next year I want to get into a program at UF called IPPD (Integrated Product and Process Design) where E-Circ 1 is a prereq for the EE's. IPPD is a year-long course (6 credits) where students work in multidisciplinary engineering teams with a faculty 'coach' to design and build products for sponsoring companies (Dell, Harris, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, etc.). It also satisfies senior design, which is nice ;)

As far as control systems, when I was speaking to many companies at our career showcase this semester a great number of them were asking if I'd taken controls yet, which they didn't ask much about the previous year. I made a note to definately take it the next semester.

The thing with micros is to really study the datasheet and see what you are actually doing with the commands. It's not like programming computers. For example, when you do something like a bit set on an I/O port, you are physically putting +5V (or whatever) out to that pin or reading the voltage, if it's an input, on a bit read. When you get your mind around it, I think it's a lot more fun than computer programming.

The IPPD sounds like a good idea. The more practical experience you can get, the better chance you'll have of getting a job out of school. Be sure to get an internship during the summer, if you can.

You could always be an Imagineer for Disney. :D

KC Kings
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM

That is why I take the adult accelerated night courses. Why spend time studying, learning, and taking test, when you can just pay twice as much for a BS one night a week, 8 week course?

DaKCMan AP
12-16-2004, 04:10 PM
The thing with micros is to really study the datasheet and see what you are actually doing with the commands. It's not like programming computers. For example, when you do something like a bit set on an I/O port, you are physically putting +5V (or whatever) out to that pin or reading the voltage, if it's an input, on a bit read. When you get your mind around it, I think it's a lot more fun than computer programming.

The IPPD sounds like a good idea. The more practical experience you can get, the better chance you'll have of getting a job out of school. Be sure to get an internship during the summer, if you can.

You could always be an Imagineer for Disney. :D

Yeah, I understand what you mean about microP. That's what we covered in Digital Logic. I hate computer programming, but really enjoyed logic.

One of my main goals during the next couple of months is securing an internship. I have a strong contact at Honeywell whom I interviewed with last year, a year early. So I feel good about that. I interviewed a month or 2 ago with Disney, but they would be something to fall back on for me. I've also had some contact with Intel. Things should heat up in that dept. in the next month or two.

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I understand what you mean about microP. That's what we covered in Digital Logic. I hate computer programming, but really enjoyed logic.

One of my main goals during the next couple of months is securing an internship. I have a strong contact at Honeywell whom I interviewed with last year, a year early. So I feel good about that. I interviewed a month or 2 ago with Disney, but they would be something to fall back on for me. I've also had some contact with Intel. Things should heat up in that dept. in the next month or two.

if you work for Honeywell tell them their INU's aren't as good as Litton's. They may have more functionality, but they sure don't last as long. (comments are AC130U gunship specific) The ones the KC135's have seem to be spot on, but it's a different model.

;)